Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason I'll be harder on Sims than Paralives.

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Listen I'm okay with criticism of four. Which game is better. But I want things to be more respectful. So please don't have an argument here
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2020
    In conclusion I just think The Sims 4 is purely overrated (first time I feel this for a Sims product) for an EA game that isn't even the first version of the franchise. But if its doing well, it will keep the way it is and nothing will actually change! And also will probably take the future of this franchise in a path I'm not really interested in. My expectation with The Sims 5 are a round big zero! I'm excited for Paralives and I'll never be hard on them. Frankly, everything that was confirmed and revealed to the public is already way better than anything that came out from The Sims franchise in the past 6 years.
    EA does this game for ages, so its hard to tolerate something like The Sims 4!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    TS4 really IS a rubbish game that doesn't deserve people's hard-earned money. That's fact.

I understand that you're not fond of TS4 like you were with previous iterations and that's your prerogative, but please don't speak for others. TS4 is my favourite iteration from the franchise, and I have played TS1, TS2 and TS3. I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I've also had the most fun and enjoyment from TS4 than I have with any of the previous games.

Like or dislike whatever you want, but it's best to avoid speaking for the whole community.

This is how I feel too! It's also my Fav after playing all of them :) And I didn't buy into it because of hype.. In fact I bough it several years after release (around the time toddlers came out as they advertised it when I purchased it so I bought the pack with the game) because I had taken a several years long break after getting bored with older versions haha. I didn't see any hype at all as I wasn't on the forums yet or following any game blogs. I just thought one day that I was bored and would try sims again. The old version was running on my new computer so I looked for updates or patches and discovered there was an entire new game out (hadn't heard of Sims 4 before that haha). Not only that it was on sale. So I bought it and fell in love with it in a way I never did with earlier versions. Have tried going back to earlier ones quite a few times since and just can't get into them anymore. I've since joined the forums and etc but at the time I just played quietly on my own not even knowing they or mods existed haha.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    @Renato10 wrote: »
    I'm excited for Paralives and I'll never be hard on them. Frankly, everything that was confirmed and revealed to the public is already way better than anything that came out from The Sims franchise in the past 6 years..

I understand Paralives looks promising, but did you get to test play it yet?
    The reason I'm asking is that with such high level of expectation there is no room for disappointment.
    I do hope it's the game for you if and when it will be released.

edited July 2020
    I'm excited for Paralives and I'll never be hard on them. Frankly, everything that was confirmed and revealed to the public is already way better than anything that came out from The Sims franchise in the past 6 years..

The reason I'm asking is that with such high level of expectation there is no room for disappointment.

No. Obviously I didn't play it and you know it!

I know where Paralives comes from and I will never put expectations so high for a completly new game. And I'm sure I'll be impressed because the team behind it is listening the fans and confirming what can be done or not.

The Sims 4 is just a sequel that failed to impress me! It comes from a place that has been doing this for two decades now. After playing more than one decade they came with a beta incomplete version that in my opinion still not worth it after 6 years!
    Its a different story and being a game from a multymillionaire company like EA, they don't deserve my tolerance.
    As a simmer and as a long time consumer until 2014, I feel that they don't care about me and people who think like me (and there are a lot!).

Maxis is not a newbie. The Sims used to be good until the latest installment!

Also, this is why the community is deeply divided!

If you like the game go play it!
    I don't understand why people who like the game bother so much with the "negative" opinions. You are not the ones in this community who feel unhappy and have to rely on the old games that have literally no attention from the company anymore!
    Are we a threat to The Sims? Why are some players so defensive? Maybe because we have a point and you are affraid of consequences. I can tell the SimCity disaster in 2013 caused some fear in the simming community.

And I have to make it clear that I'm talking about valid opinions! I'm not talk about hating! Hate we can all easly ignore!
    I just wish I could feel integrated in this gaming community again like I was since The Sims 1 to The Sims 3 cycles. It is the franchise I love and still admire the most (of its past obviously) and it is very frustrating to not be able to enjoy being part of this sims experience even when I tried so hard during so many times. 6 years is a lot and as time passes I feel more and more disconnected and less engaged in this community.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2020
    The only ones getting the short end of the stick here is paralives. I feel kind of bad for the developers even though I have no interest in it. Not just here but all over social media I've seen people arguing since paralives was first announced. They don't really want a well made game for what the creators have to offer. They want "a sims 4 killer" "a sims 4 competitor." " a HA take that in your face now I have a better game sims 4 will be crushed bwahahaha."
    And I see tons of people saying those things constantly. As a developer I would feel pretty discouraged. Seems like not many will ever like or enjoy the game for what it is. It will just be a copy cat comparison of the sims.
    😐
    The sims only has ONE sun. This one has TWO!! 😱
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited July 2020
    The only ones getting the short end of the stick here is paralives. I feel kind of bad for the developers even though I have no interest in it. Not just here but all over social media I've seen people arguing since paralives was first announced. They don't really want a well made game for what the creators have to offer. They want "a sims 4 killer" "a sims 4 competitor." " a HA take that in your face now I have a better game sims 4 will be crushed bwahahaha."
    And I see tons of people saying those things constantly. As a developer I would feel pretty discouraged. Seems like not many will ever like or enjoy the game for what it is. It will just be a copy cat comparison of the sims.
    😐
    The sims only has ONE sun. This one has TWO!! 😱

I don't agree! Maybe some weird people will be like that and thats totally wrong!
    I think people want Paralives to be a step foward following the great paths of The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. In general I think we want make EA to listen for once!
    Its more a case of "This is what we wanted and naturally expected! Not the two step backwards that you gave us as the 4th installment of the franchise"
    Renato10 wrote: »

I don't understand why people who like the game bother so much with the "negative" opinions. You are not the ones in this community who feel unhappy and have to rely on the old games that have literally no attention from the company anymore!
    Are we a threat to The Sims? Why are some players so defensive? Maybe because we have a point and you are affraid of consequences. I can tell the SimCity disaster in 2013 caused some fear in the simming community.

And I have to make it clear that I'm talking about valid opinions! I'm not talk about hating! Hate we can all easly ignore!
    I just wish I could feel integrated in this gaming community again like I was since The Sims 1 to The Sims 3 cycles. It is the franchise I love and still admire the most (of its past obviously) and it is very frustrating to not be able to enjoy being part of this sims experience even when I tried so hard during so many times. 6 years is a lot and as time passes I feel more and more disconnected and less engaged in this community.

Maybe as someone who likes the game, I can explain that last part.

I love the game and love feeling like I am integrated in a gaming community too, like it sounds like you did with sims 1-3. But we want that for Sims 4 too. A place where we can just come and play and chat about the game without others attacking whenever we post about the good things in the game, without anyone coming in to the positive threads saying how horrid it is, how we should like previous versions better, etc. A forum where every day there aren't several new threads asking when we can get rid of the game that we love etc. Constructive criticism is fine, no one minds when it's given, but there's far too much bashing on people that enjoy the game on these forums. So yes, we WANT to just play but we can't, not without being asked to defend our game/opinions/write explanations as to why we prefer it which are then tossed out as being "wrong" etc on a regular basis.

As a Sims 4 fan who probably will never move on to sims 5, or if I do I'll wait a few years til it's on sale really cheap and that only if it looks fantastic, I keep hoping it'll be announced soon so they can open a Sims 5 forum and the Sims 4 players can just play in peace like 1-3 do now.

THe second reason I bother is because I want to make sure my opinion is heard too. If EA sees a thread with everyone asking for some feature, example a colour wheel or attraction system, they might want to implement it into sims 4 and I dont want those type of things in my game, so yes I'll bother posting that I don't want it and why, just in case anyone important is reading it. I post my opinions both what I want and what I don't, just in case. Of course I can't have my own way in the game's creation and don't expect to, but if anyone is looking, I like my opinions ad ideas heard too.

No. Obviously I didn't play it and you know it!

I know where Paralives comes from and I will never put expectations so high for a completly new game. And I'm sure I'll be impressed because the team behind it is listening the fans and confirming what can be done or not.

The Sims 4 is just a sequel that failed to impress me! It comes from a place that has been doing this for two decades now. After playing more than one decade they came with a beta incomplete version that in my opinion still not worth it after 6 years!
    Its a different story and being a game from a multymillionaire company like EA, they don't deserve my tolerance.
    As a simmer and as a long time consumer until 2014, I feel that they don't care about me and people who think like me (and there are a lot!).

Maxis is not a newbie. The Sims used to be good until the latest installment!

Also, this is why the community is deeply divided!

Deary me. It's Ok. You can use me as a punchbag. ;) I'm big and strong.

But I can't recall us having a discussion about what games I like, dislike, the things that make me happy and unhappy about those games or the Company who makes them. That would have been quite a long discussion. You may care to remind me. Although I've written all over the forum about my thoughts.
    I'm not representing one or another extreme of this community. I actually prefer to take a neutral stance and consider all aspects. But I get your frustration. And I hope there will come a time again that you feel more comfortable within the community.

I'm sorry if my comment came across as negative or disrespectful. Your opinions are very valid. Like everyone else's.
    I think Paralives looks good, promising even. I'm sure the developers are wonderful and are doing an awesome job. Their communication with the public is superb. And I hope everything goes as planned. For the devs and for the community.
    I also know a thing or two about project development and an ambitious project like PL can be incredibly challenging. That's why I say 'if' and 'when'.

I actually feel more concerned for the developers than their potential player base.

I'm a little concerned because TS4 has become that Dragon who's harassing part of the sims community, and now Paralives is being seen as the Knight in Shining armor expected to save the Simmers in distress from said Dragon.
    I know folks here are saying they won't be hard on Paralives, but one couldn't be any harder on Paralives right now with the expectations set at such a high level.

The devs at Paralives have specifically said that they are inspired by the Sims, but are not competing with the Sims. And yet its development is seen as The Great Competition. That must be incredibly hard on them, since they have specifically asked not to do that. I just think people shouldn't get their hopes up too high.

I understand it's hard to pretend The Sims (4) doesn't exist.
    But I really hope that in the end folks can appreciate Paralives for what it is. For the beautiful game it can become in itself.

edited July 2020

I love the game and love feeling like I am integrated in a gaming community too, like it sounds like you did with sims 1-3. But we want that for Sims 4 too. A place where we can just come and play and chat about the game without others attacking whenever we post about the good things in the game, without anyone coming in to the positive threads saying how horrid it is, how we should like previous versions better, etc. A forum where every day there aren't several new threads asking when we can get rid of the game that we love etc. Constructive criticism is fine, no one minds when it's given, but there's far too much bashing on people that enjoy the game on these forums. So yes, we WANT to just play but we can't, not without being asked to defend our game/opinions/write explanations as to why we prefer it which are then tossed out as being "wrong" etc on a regular basis.

As a Sims 4 fan who probably will never move on to sims 5, or if I do I'll wait a few years til it's on sale really cheap and that only if it looks fantastic, I keep hoping it'll be announced soon so they can open a Sims 5 forum and the Sims 4 players can just play in peace like 1-3 do now.

THe second reason I bother is because I want to make sure my opinion is heard too. If EA sees a thread with everyone asking for some feature, example a colour wheel or attraction system, they might want to implement it into sims 4 and I dont want those type of things in my game, so yes I'll bother posting that I don't want it and why, just in case anyone important is reading it. I post my opinions both what I want and what I don't, just in case. Of course I can't have my own way in the game's creation and don't expect to, but if anyone is looking, I like my opinions ad ideas heard too.

Well. Thats fair enough and I respect that.

On the other side and for what you describe we have a different view on the franchise. You seem to be a fan of The Sims 4 only (I can be wrong but it is what I understood). I am a fan of the entire franchise and I was always excited to see what was next. There was always something that keeped me interested on moving from 1 to 2 and then to 3! This time it was proved to me that I had absolutly no reason to move on! (I'm talking personally but I'm sure Im not alone on feeling this).

By this I think we sometimes act in a way that also portrays a fear of the future. And if The Sims that I used to love will never return?
    It is me? I used to think that as I grew up I lost the interest in the game but I came back to the previous and I still love playing it. At the same time for us Its hard to understand how something we find so dreadful can be so praised and loved. Where those people find so much positivity? Believe me that I actually hate being on this side and sometimes I feel like a bad person for being here but I simply can't engage with The Sims 4.

I think now things are on EA side. Everyone is different and they will decide the future. If they want to keep some long term fans they will have to find a middle ground on the next game. If not, I am sure thats why a lot of people are planning to move for a different game, even if it doesn't fulfill what they're expecting.

And that's why competition is good and we should not put a lot of pressure in Paralives!

Sorry about my english. Its obviously not my first language!
    edited July 2020

Sorry. It wasn't my intention to "sound" like that!
    I actually agree with what you're saying.

And yes! It's been really hard to pretend TS4 doesn't exist because its been more than half a decade right now and we all know how The Sims 4 could impact the future of the franchise. The Sims 5 can be amazing or can be even worst! We don't know yet!

Well. Thats fair enough and I respect that.

On the other side and for what you describe we have a different view on the franchise. You seem to be a fan of The Sims 4 only (I can be wrong but it is what I understood). I am a fan of the entire franchise and I was always excited to see what was next. There was always something that keeped me interested on moving from 1 to 2 and then to 3! This time it was proved to me that I had absolutly no reason to move on! (I'm talking personally but I'm sure Im not alone on feeling this).

By this I think we sometimes act in a way that also portrays a fear of the future. And if The Sims that I used to love will never return?
    It is me? I used to think that as I grew up I lost the interest in the game but I came back to the previous and I still love playing it. At the same time for us Its hard to understand how something we find so dreadfull can be so praised and loved. Where those people find so much positivity? Believe me that I actually hate being on this side and sometimes I feel like a bad person for being here but I simply can't engage with The Sims 4.

I think now things are on EA side. Everyone is different and they will decide the future. If they want to keep some long term fans they will have to find a middle ground on the next game. If not, I am sure thats why a lot of people are planning to move for a different game, even if it doesn't fulfill what they're expecting.

And that's why competition is good and we should not put a lot of pressure in Paralives!

Sorry about my englis. Its obviously not my first language!

Yes you are wrong, I like the other games too and am also excited to see what comes next even though, I love Sims 4 so much more I probably won't be willing to spend the money to start over again at this point. I've played since Sims 1 and sim city before that, over 20years now, I just didn't know there was an online community at that point so never got the chance to join it. I always just quietly played myself. I didn't find out about that until after playing sims 4 for awhile and doing a google search to find out features of packs as I wanted to buy a new one. I really loved the other games, at the time, I just can't go back to them anymore because I don't like them COMPARED to sims 4. (I"ve tried several times but after Sims 4 they aren't enjoyable anymore) But I have happy memories of playing older versions and if Sims 4 ceased to exist I would play them and enjoy. (except 1 because i no longer own that version).

My not wanting to move on to Sims 5 one day is because I love 4 so much, I have played the same family with aging on SUPER SLOW for almost 4 years, I don't want to give up the save and pay money to start over when I already ahve a game I love so much and only limited time to play games. I'm a single parent, I can't play games for hours on end every day, as much as that'd be great sometimes haha! So adding another game to the mix would just cut into my sims 4 time. It'll probably be a good game too, and I am eager to learn more about it even if right now, I won't get it haha. Because maybe if it's great (for my playstyle) I will. Right now we know nothing about it so I can't judge it haha.

And I should say that as long as you ARE understanding that others like different things from you, myself and many others are perfectly fine with criticisms of the game being posted. It's when people are not understanding that it becomes a problem. I've been told that my enjoyment of the game is "Wrong because the things you find important in the game aren't really important" etc. People ask why I like Sims 4 better and I'm happy to tell them if it's a civil conversation, but when people ask and say that if I like Sims 4 better I "Better have a good reason" and that I "have to explain myself because otherwise you are just a liar who doesn't really play" and this happens on a regular basis, then yeah I get upset and just want to revert to "because I do". I'm done "explaining" after this has happened over and over on these forums to me. I've told people my reason for liking it only to have them tell me that the other games are better for ME and what I want to to personally play, and I think after having played them all, I'd know what I prefer. It gets really frustrating.

Hope that makes sense. And your English is great! I had no trouble with it.

I also don't put pressure on Paralives. I'm not sure yet if it's going to be a game for me. I don't have much gaming time so it'd have to be really great, but I AM watching it. If it looks like something I'd love and it isn't too expensive, I'll buy and enjoy. If not, I won't, but I won't bash it, I'll just assume it's not the game for me and stick with my Sims 4. I'm undecided yet from what's been released, but I'm watching haha!.

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    Can we like find a middle ground people? Can we just accept that The Sims 4 neither horrible nor perfect. Based on your personal opinion you can always find ways the game is the best by picking out the positive or that it's the worst by picking out the negative.

We need to get over our own opinions and try to understand what The Sims 4 does well and what it is lacking. This installment like all the previous Sims games does some things great and some other thing terribly. The problem with this game though is that a lot of things that a big amount of people thought were not "well-done" are features that are very important in a life-simulator (ex. lifestages, personalities, unpredictability etc.) So if you are asking yourself why the game is getting so harshly criticised even though you might love it this might be the reason.
    The fanbase that existed before the sims 4 was a different one. Fans of the game became fans because they found what they were looking for in previous games and The Sims 4 was the first installment take that away and ditch things that were the reason why some people became fans in the first place. That meant that a part of the fanbase was not satisfied with those drastic changes and some decided to leave. However the Sims 4 managed to even out the numbers by getting new people into the community who did not really notice a change because this was their first game.
    In short, with drastic changes in the game come drastic changes in the fanbase. People who liked the game before the changes leave and people who like the game after the changes join in.

However, no matter how much the game has changed it still has the "life-simulator" identity so even if you love or hate the game you have to be able to differentiate if the game is good/bad for you and if it is a bad/good "life-simulator" in general and compared to previous life-simulators by The Sims team.

For better understanding an example from another game:
    "Years ago I played a game that was marketed as a RPG/Action game. Personally I loved the game so much but it was heavily criticized by the fanbase. It was my first game in that franchise, I hadn't played any previous ones but I loved the story and the characters and didn't understand the hate.
    After thinking a bit I realized even though I loved the story and the characters the game was not a very good Action RPG and that was the problem. I didn't care about the Action RPG elements so I never realized how lacking they were. Do I still love the game to death? Sure. Would I recommend it to anyone who likes either Action or RPG games? Hell no.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Sorry. It wasn't my intention to "sound" like that!
    I actually agree with what you're saying.

No worries at all. ;)
    And yes! It's been really hard to pretend TS4 doesn't exist because its been more than half a decade right now and we all know how The Sims 4 could impact the future of the franchise. The Sims 5 can be amazing or can be even worst! We don't know yet!

Absolutely. We can try and make ourselves heard on the forums, but in the end we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
    Do I still love the game to death? Sure. Would I recommend it to anyone who likes either Action or RPG games? Hell no.

Haha! Care to share?
    I'm only kidding. Although I am curious...

edited July 2020
    Can we like find a middle ground people? Can we just accept that The Sims 4 neither horrible nor perfect. Based on your personal opinion you can always find ways the game is the best by picking out the positive or that it's the worst by picking out the negative.

We need to get over our own opinions and try to understand what The Sims 4 does well and what it is lacking. This installment like all the previous Sims games does some things great and some other thing terribly. The problem with this game though is that a lot of things that a big amount of people thought were not "well-done" are features that are very important in a life-simulator (ex. lifestages, personalities, unpredictability etc.) So if you are asking yourself why the game is getting so harshly criticised even though you might love it this might be the reason.
    The fanbase that existed before the sims 4 was a different one. Fans of the game became fans because they found what they were looking for in previous games and The Sims 4 was the first installment take that away and ditch things that were the reason why some people became fans in the first place. That meant that a part of the fanbase was not satisfied with those drastic changes and some decided to leave. However the Sims 4 managed to even out the numbers by getting new people into the community who did not really notice a change because this was their first game.
    In short, with drastic changes in the game come drastic changes in the fanbase. People who liked the game before the changes leave and people who like the game after the changes join in.

However, no matter how much the game has changed it still has the "life-simulator" identity so even if you love or hate the game you have to be able to differentiate if the game is good/bad for you and if it is a bad/good "life-simulator" in general and compared to previous life-simulators by The Sims team.

For better understanding an example from another game:
    "Years ago I played a game that was marketed as a RPG/Action game. Personally I loved the game so much but it was heavily criticized by the fanbase. It was my first game in that franchise, I hadn't played any previous ones but I loved the story and the characters and didn't understand the hate.
    After thinking a bit I realized even though I loved the story and the characters the game was not a very good Action RPG and that was the problem. I didn't care about the Action RPG elements so I never realized how lacking they were. Do I still love the game to death? Sure. Would I recommend it to anyone who likes either Action or RPG games? Hell no.

I agree, Sims 4 (but add in "And all games in the series") are neither horrible or perfect, we just tend to disagree on WHAT Is lacking. There are things lacking, but for me it's different things than others think. I agree with lifestages, it is deifinitely lacking but I see a LOT of posts saying they don't want more life stages. I personally do not want more unpredictablity, or deeper personality, but I would LOVE free babies and non-mutual relationships for example)

I joined sims 4 later, when toddlers were released, but I did play since Sims 1 was first released, I just didn't get Sims 4 upon released, I missed the hype etc. I enjoyed it more than previous versions , silently unaware of the hate about it. I thought it was the greatest game in the series, still do. I was actually really surprised upon discovering the online community of players that others did not like it! Upon looking into it and seeing it never had pools or more importantly toddlers, that was totallly understandable but in my eyes, that was solved because toddlers were here now haha! I understand now people didn't like the personalities of the sims and as someone who had plalyed for almost 20 years (at that point, now it's more) I was very surprised because they seemed sooo much better than previous versions and still do. The entire game (other than animations) seemed better to me. I'm no longer surprised haha! Everyone has different opinions and that's fine, it's always been totally okay for me that people enjoy different games. I strongly dislike any action games, but don't expect others to agree, everyone is different. I just dislike it when people bash others, for liking any version of the game.

Criticism of any game is welcome, (1,2,3 OR 4) but yes, bashing players saying they are "wrong" in their opinions, (or as I've seen in these forums "Immature" "idiotic" and even "stupid") or demanding they explain themselves for having a diff opinion needs to end though. And so do blanket statements. When I see people post things like "Everyone hates this so why doesn't EA FIX IT" about things I like, then yes I'll step in and say that I like it and not EVERYONE hates it. (THis goes for "Love" too... not EVERYONE loves colourwheel etc) If someone says "This is a problem and here's why" or even "MANY people hate this" then yeah, criticise away haha, just don't bash those that this agree. And it works BOTH WAYS. I"ve seen people give decent critiicism in a civil manner on here and they've been told to "Just don't play then" and that's rude too as I can only assume people would only give criticism if they like the game/franchise. Otherwise why would they be here or buying the game?

But yeah, as a Sims 4 enjoyer, I do long for the day when a diff sims 5 forum is released and we can just play sims 4 in peace haha! (Criticisms allowed of course, but the "drama" and trolling and bashing hopefully moved on or gone)
    edited July 2020

I agree, Sims 4 (but add in "And all games in the series") are neither horrible or perfect, we just tend to disagree on WHAT Is lacking. There are things lacking, but for me it's different things than others think. I agree with lifestages, it is deifinitely lacking but I see a LOT of posts saying they don't want more life stages. I personally do not want more unpredictablity, or deeper personality, but I would LOVE free babies and non-mutual relationships for example)

Exactly what I'm saying. Deep personalities, unpredictability, better developed life-stages and free babies are stuff that belong in a "life-simulator". The problem of the Sims is that Will Wright pretty much created the genre as we know it so a lot of the things he did with The Sims are considered life-simulator must-haves which are missing from The Sims 4 or changed their direction. That change will of course lead to this massive criticism from the audience because these are the things people like life-simulators for you know?

I think you can love the game and still be critical of it. And this is what I try to get across with my example in the previous post. I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone looking for a "life-simulator" in the traditional Will Wright sense but I would recommend it to people who like building, or like making pre-determined things happen, or like making look-alikes etc. etc. which are things I think The Sims 4 does very well.

Haha! Care to share?

It's Final Fantasy XIII :lol:
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I thought this thread was supposed to be a discussion on comparing Paralives and Sims, not Sims 4 to previous Sims titles...

For the record, Sims 2 on PSP is the superior Sims title and that's not up for debate.

Exactly what I'm saying. Deep personalities, unpredictability, better developed life-stages and free babies are stuff that belong in a "life-simulator". The problem of the Sims is that Will Wright pretty much created the genre as we know it so a lot of the things he did with The Sims are considered life-simulator must-haves which are missing from The Sims 4 or changed their direction. That change will of course lead to this massive criticism from the audience because these are the things people like life-simulators for you know?

I think you can love the game and still be critical of it. And this is what I try to get across with my example in the previous post. I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone looking for a "life-simulator" in the traditional Will Wright sense but I would recommend it to people who like building, or like making pre-determined things happen, or like making look-alikes etc. etc. which are things I think The Sims 4 does very well.

Haha! Care to share?

Agreed, and my post was definitely agreeing with MOST of what you say, not all, I know we have different opinions of the game, and what belongs in a life simulator, but you are always respectful of mine when we chat, so thanks :) I def. agree you can love a game and be critical of it, I'm def. critical of Sims 4 on the aspects I DON'T like, it's just that there aren't too many of those and we dno't always agree on which ones there are. (And some we do)

I'd advertise it as a life simulator, but I'd also advertise things like Animal Crossing as a life simulator and no one runs around chatting with animals irl haha. I just think that people have to be aware of the LEVEL it simulates life or something... maybe a "Life sim" ranking system with a scale of it being a "Fantasy life" or a "realisitc life" simulator or something... I dunno haha. But I stick it as life simulator not because it's exactly realistic but because it seems to fit best in that game catagory compared to others.

Because, yeah, it's not a shooting game, or an action game, and while it has collectibles it's not really a collecting game, it can be a building game, but I woudn't really call it a building game, or it CAN be a dress up game but I wouldn't call it that either. it's more a "whatever you make of it game" and that's kinda what I think life is... "whatever you make of it" in real life too haha. And I guess that's why I'd put it there?

edited July 2020

Ah. :D Haven't played it yet. Would you recommend it? I already know the answer.
    edited July 2020

I'd advertise it as a life simulator, but I'd also advertise things like Animal Crossing as a life simulator and no one runs around chatting with animals irl haha. I just think that people have to be aware of the LEVEL it simulates life or something...

I think a big problem is also that there are no other good "life-simulators" like there are action games so you can pick the one that suits you best. With action games I can reject a game because I dislike the graphics and play another one or if I want an action game with more stealth than front-face shooting I can find one but I can't do that with life simulators like the Sims because there aren't any other.
    I wish we had more games to choose from so people who want deep personalities can have a game to play and people who want open-world have another title they can play and people who like The Sims 4 can stick with it. But because of this monopoly situation we all want different things yet there is only one game.
    Ah. :D Haven't played it yet. Would you recommend it? I already know the answer.

Hehe. lol :wink:
    edited July 2020
    @filipomel wrote: »
    For the record, Sims 2 on PSP is the superior Sims title and that's not up for debate.

Aaaand...let the debate begin!

Just kidding. B)
    edited July 2020
    I thank all of you for this good conversation. I think we as a community need to understand more both sides. Sometimes social networks can be interpreted in a bad way that everything kinda seems like a personal attack but in reality it really isn't.

And yes! Personalities, life stages (for me in TS4 only todllers, young adults and adults are fine) and also unpredictability are three of the many problems I have with TS4. I honestly think that is possible and there is potential to improve the game on this topics. I know it will make a lot of people happy, me included.

Although there's a part of my issues that will never be fixed and I know that is something that will never be changed because it's impossible.
    My biggest problem with The Sims 4 is the world system. Oh my! I hate the world system! Hate seems like a strong word but I really despise the way they choosed to make the worlds this time around!
    It is literally The Sims 1 world system on steroids (with a poor little TS3 open world flavour attached to it) and as much I love The Sims 1 that was a feature I was glad that it was in the past!
    A lot of people will say how cool is to travel from one world to another and thats kinda true but at the same time not... I mean... Imagine if it wasn't? GOD, HELL NO! And its really bad seing the same npc characters in every world. Its not funny being neighbor of Bella Goth in Willow Creek and then find her while I'm in Sulani escaping my home for a while and then going to a food stall wich is running by Don Lothario that lives in Oasis Springs... I HATE THAT!

It's not even also for not being a totally open world like The Sims 3 (wich is my favourite world system by far despite some problems) I would have been totally fine with something like The Sims 2! I missed going crazy with editing worlds and not just lots like in The Sims 1 and The Sims 4. I missed the 3d world maps that were so engaging and cool. How giant we could turn, how we could create our own worlds. The Sims 4 has a gret building tool (I admit that) but its frustrating that I find restrictive to creativity when it comes to build and maybe thats personal but I will not use for example, plants or rocks from Oasis Springs in Newcrest or Willow Creek because for me it doesn't fit there! I find that problem to be way more frequent in The Sims 4 and thats because of the surroundings that look so fake! At least in The Sims 1 everything was grey off lot xD

If I could chose one way to do it forever of course I would chose open world!
    I think The Sims 3 is honestly the closest thing of a game that includes both The Sims and a bit of SimCity together in the same experience.

And thats the main reason why I am looking for Paralives. Im not creating expectations but I know I will have a totally new experience of an open world in a life simulation game. That alone makes me happy and excited!
    Post edited by Renato10 on

I think a big problem is also that there are no other good "life-simulators" like there are action games so you can pick the one that suits you best. With action games I can reject a game because I dislike the graphics and play another one or if I want an action game with more stealth than front-face shooting I can find one but I can't do that with life simulators like the Sims because there aren't any other.
    I wish we had more games to choose from so people who want deep personalities can have a game to play and people who want open-world have another title they can play and people who like The Sims 4 can stick with it. But because of this monopoly situation we all want different things yet there is only one game.

I'm not sure to what extend any of the features in the Sims franchise are included as part of EA's IP and what kind of patents it holds. And in how far other developers and studios can do or can't do what Maxis does.
    I can guess that In dept Life Simulators are quite demanding in coding alone. It's not as 'easy' as scripting multiple story lines and outcomes since it doesn't have any. Unless you count beating the Mother Plant. (It's a spoiler from a TS4 Game Pack in case nobody knows...or cares).

In saying that, I admit that there should definitely be more types of Apples to choose from.
    I'd advertise it as a life simulator, but I'd also advertise things like Animal Crossing as a life simulator and no one runs around chatting with animals irl haha.

I do. Don’t Judge me. B)
    I thank all of you for this good conversation. I think we as a community need to understand more both sides. Sometimes social networks can be interpreted in a bad way that everything kinda seems like a personal attack but in reality it really isn't.

You too, @Renato10! :) I agree that no matter how diverse opinions may be, it’s great when we as a community can respectfully discuss , listen and learn from each other’s experiences and perspectives . It will make every conversation a lot more satisfying!