Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Contestants of The Sims Spark'd

adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
edited July 2020 in The Sims Spark'd
Disclaimer: It seems I was able to keep up with only a certain amount of positivity while writing this as the bugs in the actual game bug me a lot.

It is obvious that I'm not the only one having issues with this Spark'd thingy, that's for sure.
But I am trying to stay positive. I really am, though it really isn't my cup of tea. I don't even like reality TV tbh. But I do love The Sims, so I would really like to like this thing, you know? Maybe I'd get some new ideas for my builds, gameplay or so on and maybe (just maybe) this is produced and paced and overall made better than some other content I've come across (there must be a nice budget after all at least). I _want_ to like this.

I must not be the only one here on the forums who doesn't use social media platforms (IG, YT, Twitter etc.) to follow TS content or for any other reasons but that's not the point. I am but a simmer, a simple one, and getting a bit old already, and having a huge lack of interest on "subscribe and like" and all that nonsense. I don't even have a clue what these gamechangers(?) are. And I'm totally happy being ignorant, just to be clear.

The problem is that I have no idea who these people are who'll be on the show. And that's making it even more difficult for me to get excited or even interested at Spark'd at all. Who are they? What have they done? Where did they come from?
(we all know where do they go - to a irrelevant 100k game show yeehaw cotton-eyed-joe)

As stated above, I don't use social media so all links to the contestants profiles/channels/etc will be of no use to me. If someone would like to point me out to a direction where I could get a grasp of who these people are, why they are popular or what makes them special in other ways I'd be grateful. Maybe some forum links or something like that? I tried to google but all I could find was shallow news of this thingy so maybe it's just too soon after the announcement?

But I started this thread in hopes that you - the other simmers who know about this stuff and follow these "influencers" - to explain to me why I should be interested in these contestants and without any ill will:

Why do they deserve the 100k opportunity?
And why would I want to watch them trying to win? Emphasis on "them" - if the show will be good it won't really matter if I don't know the contestants beforehand.

Thanks in advance if someone is willing to take the time and effort to enlighten me :>

//edit. added a missing word ("influencers")

origin ID: adduapina
Post edited by adduapina on

Comments

• Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Point is: you don't have to. You probably don't watch all shows or telenovelas that are airing on TV either. There is a target audience who might find that entertaining, or who watch it because they already know and like the actors/participants and that's all there is about that. Entertainment. And a big PR-stunt to push sales of TS4.

Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2020
    I wish they brought on more normal creative players, not influencers. Maybe people who have great builds or things like that but not necessarily an 'influencer'. I dont know the people on the show besides plumbella, but arent they all influencers/social media stars? These influencers already recieive like free games and other treats, right? Whay about normal people?

But people wouldnt even bother to watch it if it were normal people. But even then i prob still wouldnt watch it. I wish it was a small online competition if anything, not a whole tv show. This is not for me.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Marduc_Plays Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I am not in the demographic audience for this but still. Trying to survive, ya know. But as I really never come in contact with any simmers IRL there might be a way for me to enjoy this. I'm just struggling to find the way and made this thread to maybe have some advice. So far it seems that there is like 0.1 percentage of us on the forum who are genuinely interested and happy about this. That's who I am trying to reach even though I know that by not following social media I'm totally left out on all this maxismonthly, letsplay, gamechanger bla bla bla content. I know they wont care about me, because with buying their new content I always silently approve of all of this. Now before lashing out completely or getting depressed about this, I try to catch up/understand.

@StrawberryYogurt I agree fully that it would be more interesting to see eg. a show where the contestants would be on a totally different sides of gameplay: a storyteller, a builder, a micromanager perfectionist, a total newbie to the game and a casual player. Total nobodies and one single shining influencer? Like the olympics could have one average person competing just for reference - here we would have one single simmer who can do this for a living and others just working hard and showing their best. That could be fun. Just for example. Like there would actually be more content there for us who appreciate the franchise for it's elasticity to fit different players, play styles etc. But now it all feels so shallow for just copying an old reality tv format (you have 2 hrs to complete this task whatever it is and then you get judged and someone cries and then tune back next week for more drama!) I am european and though we have a lot of this copied already on our media but the squeezing out the drama for scripting in the US is really disturbing. Now we are trying to find a winner in a game that you can not "beat". That's just somewhat off for me.

But nevertheless, still reaching out to someone to help me try to comprehend this (I don't even know what to call it) marketing idea/e-sport/reality tv/Spark'd/thingy.

//edit, missing words and typo.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Gotta admit, I only know Plumbella...don't know the rest of these people lol.
    @KaeChan2089 ok so are we outdated or are these ppl actually "famous" in the demographic?
  • prettyprettyplumbobprettyprettyplumbob Posts: 183 Member
    edited July 2020
    Hi darlin'! Didn't mean to throw any "shade" in my other thread by the way.

Here are links to some of the influencers I recognized, if this is at all helpful to anyone reading this thread (all youtube):

The English Simmer: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheEnglishSimmer
    Plumbella: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_IkRi_16jttcsqXxAm4YUA
    Steph0sims: https://www.youtube.com/user/steph0sims

And Kelsey from Buzzfeed Multiplayer: https://www.youtube.com/user/buzzfeedblue

I don't necessarily think they "Deserve" the prize, but EA is setting the show up for success from drawing in people that already have their own audiences, and hopefully that will lead to success in future seasons with more unknown talent!
    They're not "Famous" per say, but they all have their own audiences on youtube, twitch, etc. of hundreds of thousands of people. They're known personalities, and good at being on camera, so they're a natural choice.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    adduapina wrote: »
    @KaeChan2089 ok so are we outdated or are these ppl actually "famous" in the demographic?

xD I'm getting officially old and I'm only 30.
    edited July 2020
    @prettyprettyplumbob

Hi there, btw, no "shade" taken. But I need to again ask you to carefully read on what you answer to. Thank you for the links that I actually specifically did not ask - let's hope those will be use to someone else reading :) So thank you for contributing nevertheless. A worthy cause.

Quoted the part of your post that is actually relevant to the thread:
    I don't necessarily think they "Deserve" the prize, but EA is setting the show up for success from drawing in people that already have their own audiences, and hopefully that will lead to success in future seasons with more unknown talent!
    They're not "Famous" per say, but they all have their own audiences on youtube, twitch, etc. of hundreds of thousands of people. They're known personalities, and good at being on camera, so they're a natural choice.

Many thanks for this! I understand fully the point of inviting the current contestants (from now on I'm just gonna call them "cast" for short) for their fanbase etc. and that makes perfect sense in a businessy-capitalistic-view they must have. I understand.

I'm still trying to find out why these people are chosen. Do they have merit?

--

edit//

@KaeChan2089 Welcome to the thirties; we have cookies if we bake them ourselves :mrgreen:

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    If it was actually about talent then they would have chosen any of those amazing builders you see on the gallery but you know they chose the ones with the status and the money
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    @SimmerGeorge I must admit, I am not a regular Gallery user either (lacking interest unfortunately to almost all new directions this game is going but oh well) :/ But from what I've seen there is some wicked talent and artistic view to be seen even at at a quick glimpse.

What I am getting from this conversation so far is that we know these people have a lot of status, money, influence etc, but the only ones named are by @prettyprettyplumbob

- The English Simmer
    - Plumbella
    - Steph0sims

and Kelsey?

I think I have heard the first two mentioned before some time some where in the forums but what have they done? What do they do? Are these ppl who play for living? For sure they "are not affiliated/work for EA" in any way, but what else?
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    I think I have heard the first two mentioned before some time some where in the forums but what have they done? What do they do? Are these ppl who play for living? For sure they "are not affiliated/work for EA" in any way, but what else?

Yeah they are famous on YouTube for playing the game and make money out of it, including merch etc. etc. I'm not sure if all of them are also Gamechangers instead of only online personas but some of them certainly are. GameChangers is a program by EA that takes popular members of the community and they are supposed to provide feedback and stuff but they mostly like travel around and try the game out before everyone else and have some insider information. They are also allegedly under some kind of contract with EA as mentioned by LGR in one of his videos so there's that too.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I don't really get it either because I don't follow influencers. I followed some people on Twitter but really for giveaways. Reality tv is still huge, particularly when there's a competetive element, so I don't blame EA for trying, but I'm not sure whether I'm interested. I might watch one and become hooked, as I was with the first series of The Circle (UK version), but I probably won't be into it. I don't even know whether I will watch it even once as yet.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    They do play for a living basically, they all have youtube channels or on twitch a lot. Besides the ones named, I also recognized Dr. Gluon, Simproved, Simlicy and Doctor Ashley.

I don't follow them all but I have seen them around youtube, twitch and twitter. Oh and I'm over 40 btw (but under 50) so I'm not sure age has anything to do with recognizing them or not. :D

All of them are heavily followed on the gallery too but it's likely their numbers get boosted from their channels.

Should you watch it? Up to you. Do they deserve it? Likely not, but that's subjective. It does make sense for them to start the first season with people already comfy with the camera and people a lot of simmer do know to try to draw an audience.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    @Camkat Yeah, I'm sorry for the age reference - no offense intended! I just refer to this lifestyle of mine - as they'd put it in the franchise EL "Back to the Old Days" - as "old". Age is a number and old is just old :mrgreen:

Thanks for the great reply, it was really informative (+1 insightful right away).

So I have collected so far:

- The English Simmer
    - Plumbella
    - Steph0sims
    - Dr. Gluon
    - Simproved
    - Simlicy
    - Doctor Ashley

...and this Kelsey?

Now I have a lot more to search with over the internet, thank you all so much for contributing! Still looking for opinions on the cast (I know it's not allowed to discuss moderation, I hope this kind of discussion is tolerated?)
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

I'm not a social media user either, outside of this forum. But I've looked at some of the GCs, out of interest, same like yourself.

Do they have merit? No more than any other capable builder or storyteller out there. But they are very dramatic.
    I don't believe their global fame extends beyond the Sims community within their demographic: late teens, mid twenties.
    They're just, you know... very dramatic. And loud. If that's your thing, you may want to watch it.
    But you could just ignore it. Like many many simmers will. The 'old' ones. Like us. B)
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm honestly a bit annoyed that Kelsey is a judge. She only started playing the Sims like a year ago. And she's only famous because of Buzzfeed. I mean, she's nice, but I think there are better choices for judges. Some of the gamechangers would have been better judges since they've been playing the game for 20 years. I think James Turner would have been a good judge.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'll know if Plumbella wins as it'll be in the local rag.
    bixters wrote: »
    I'm honestly a bit annoyed that Kelsey is a judge. She only started playing the Sims like a year ago. And she's only famous because of Buzzfeed. I mean, she's nice, but I think there are better choices for judges. Some of the gamechangers would have been better judges since they've been playing the game for 20 years. I think James Turner would have been a good judge.

She's only in it because she works for Buzzfeed. She's entertaining but yeah, there might have been better choices. Buzzfeed likely had to submit one of their own though, it was likely insisted on.

I agree with James Turner as a judge though, that would have been entertaining!

@adduapina totally not offended so no worries! ;)

I'm not a social media user either, outside of this forum. But I've looked at some of the GCs, out of interest, same like yourself.

Do they have merit? No more than any other capable builder or storyteller out there. But they are very dramatic.
    I don't believe their global fame extends beyond the Sims community within their demographic: late teens, mid twenties.
    They're just, you know... very dramatic. And loud. If that's your thing, you may want to watch it.
    But you could just ignore it. Like many many simmers will. The 'old' ones. Like us. B)

I wish I could +1 awesome and +2 insight this twice. Thank you!
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member

Hit the nail on the head.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Gotta admit, I only know Plumbella...don't know the rest of these people lol.

I don't know any of them personally, but I'm familiar with Plumbella (used one of her saves in the past) and also UrbanSims. I'm open to discovering new (to me) players though which is why I'm at least intrigued by the concept if not super excited.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I'll know if Plumbella wins as it'll be in the local rag.

This was filmed in 2019, apparently, and there's probably a hold on news reporting (like they do with Survivor or Big Brother when people are kicked out) or Food Network competitions like the Baking Championships and such.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

This was filmed in 2019, apparently, and there's probably a hold on news reporting (like they do with Survivor or Big Brother when people are kicked out) or Food Network competitions like the Baking Championships and such.

I wonder for who anyone watches their videos now, do any of them seem like they got a lot of money? Maybe bought something really expensive? Like a new car, plastic surgery, down payment on a house? :D
    bixters wrote: »

I wonder for who anyone watches their videos now, do any of them seem like they got a lot of money? Maybe bought something really expensive? Like a new car, plastic surgery, down payment on a house? :D

Ha! I was wondering that too, but then... they've likely signed some kind of disclosure agreement and can't do anything flaunting the money until this is over.

I did wonder though if that was a way we could figure out who won. :D
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    Xmiramira has merit, she has been vocal about more diversity in not only the sims but gaming in general. She was interviewed about the topic by several gaming news publications like Kotaku and IGN. She created a very popular melanin cc pack with a wider range for darker skintones and is the founder of the Black Simmers forum which has over a 100,000 members. She was a twitch ambassador at the 2018 con and participates in charity streams. She not only plays the sims but apex legends, the division and Red Dead Redemption 2. She is a variety streamer. I watch her occasionally and she has a great sense of humor. Rooting for her and Plumbella.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara