Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else as excited as I am?!

prettyprettyplumbobprettyprettyplumbob Posts: 183 Member
edited July 2020 in The Sims Spark'd
I'm so surprised at the negativity!!
I totally understand and appreciate criticisms, but to see the Sims on TV is amazing!
It will breathe such life and excitement into this franchise 💕

And to be fair, I don't think this will take away from development of the game-- if anything it will bring in more money, resources, and interest in the sims! EA has really been delivering this year. In my opinion this has been one of the best years so far for TS4.

Personally I LOVE competition format shows, and I LOVE fun sims challenges. This is already the exact content I'm consuming on youtube anyways, just formatted for a wider audience so we can share the love 🌈

Maybe we are all so used to be negative and critical, we can't see change and progress when it is right in front of our face 😂
Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can appreciate there are some problems with the execution, but be sure to comment if you're HYPED so we can help change the conversation!

Comments

• adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Thank you for the positivity. It makes me genuinely happy that there's someone who finds this intresting and entertaining. Good for you! :>

I am personally too "old" ( as in outdated haha ) to be the target audience for this as I have zero interest in social media/reality tv/etc. But I am still trying to stay positive and hope that this new kind of challenge gameplay will bring joy to a lot of players and fans out there - not to mention the possibility to attract new players to the franchise.

So fingers crossed and then we just have to wait and see what comes out of it in the end !

(Sorry if this is not enough hype for your liking :) )
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    That's good for you. You seem to fit the targeted audience then. For me personally, nope, not the slightest interest in watching.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I have no idea what kind of contest it is. Is it only building and creating Sims? Game play?
    I don't recognize any other contestants than DrGluon. I assume the other ones are Game Changers too.
    I'm confused, but I'll check it out, who knows, maybe it's fun. I'll keep an open mind. :)
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'm glad someone is excited! Personally, I'll probably check it out after since I'm not in the US and won't be able to watch it live anyways. Even if I was, I'm not the type who sets alarms to TV programs just to make sure I'm home or awake to watch. I'm not hyped about it, but I'm not against it either. To be fair though, TV isn't much my thing and reality TV is even less so my thing. The only reason I'd be even checking it out later is because it's sims and I watch a couple of the game changers on this show.

What I am more interested in is the gallery competitions that are going along with it. I'm interested to see what happens with that and what kinds of things they come up with there.

Even though I'm not super excited (I really could take it or leave it), I do agree this is something new and fresh (new at least to the sims) and it will be interesting to see how this all goes and what directions it takes.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    "if anything it will bring in more money, resources"

The Sims is already worth billions. If EA makes THAT much money off of it and still gives Maxis a shoestring budget, it's honestly pretty naïve to expect a niche reality show will somehow be the magic bullet that prompts Android Wilson and his cronies to give Maxis the money they need to turn this game around.

Especially when said aforementioned niche reality show only got greenlit because the network was desperate for cheap content, given COVID-19 has crippled the entertainment industry.
    wJbomAo.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm not exactly excited because even though I'm in the target age range I'm just not into tv shows or social media. I'm a bookworm shy loner sim lol
    But I am excited for simmers who will enjoy it! Don't let anybody rain on your parade. It really doesn't matter what the sims deliver nobody is satisfied and the negativity never ends.

I originally came to this forum to share my love and excitement for the sims. But now I mainly just ignore negative threads and enjoy my game alone 🙂

And I think a lot of simmers don't want to accept that this is a new gaming era. Like I said I'm not into the modern flashy social media stuff either but I understand that a company cannot stay stuck in the past. Of course they are going to move foward with the latest trends and seek new customers. Rather it's wrong or not is debatable but it is what it is.

I personally do think they have been delivering a lot this year too. Though there is always so much more I need and want,I'm happy with everything so far and I am quite excited for the future of sims 4! 🥳🥳🥳

And for simmers who love challenges this is a great. Opportunity!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    EA have wanted to expand their Sims world for years, films, TV series and all came to nothing but as this enables Simmers to show off their talents I hope it will do well. I love to see the builds some make and streamers will be kept within bounds I hope. I hope to get some tips and ideas on play from it.

If I can manage to see this in the UK I will try it. It's always a pleasure to see @SimGuruNinja even though I haven't the faintest idea of who the others are! 👍🧓❤
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    But I am excited for simmers who will enjoy it! Don't let anybody rain on your parade. It really doesn't matter what the sims deliver nobody is satisfied and the negativity never ends.

@Babykittyjade Well this has been the go-to excuse by a lot of people but it's not like there was so much complaining when EA did things right in the past. Less and less people complain when something is actually good.
    Also there are many Simmers out there who actually have big problems with the game and are being ignored completely. They are not just being negative for no reason. They have valid points and I think it is disrespectful to dismiss of them as just random negative people.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • prettyprettyplumbobprettyprettyplumbob Posts: 183 Member
    edited July 2020
    That's good for you. You seem to fit the targeted audience then. For me personally, nope, not the slightest interest in watching.
    adduapina wrote: »
    I am personally too "old" ( as in outdated haha ) to be the target audience for this as I have zero interest in social media/reality tv/etc. But I am still trying to stay positive and hope that this new kind of challenge gameplay will bring joy to a lot of players and fans out there - not to mention the possibility to attract new players to the franchise.

Lol everyone is acting like I'm fourteen...
    I'm 27 for the record.... I've been with the franchise since the beginning, and I'm open and excited about change!
    I also haven't had a tv since 2009... I just think this is a cool new direction!

Less and less people complain when something is actually good.
    Also there are many Simmers out there who actually have big problems with the game and are being ignored completely. They are not just being negative for no reason. They have valid points and I think it is disrespectful to dismiss of them as just random negative people.

Yes, the game needs changes, but that doesn't mean they can't move in new directions! Also, no one knows if this is good yet, because it's not out and the challenges haven't been released.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    You must be their target audience. I am nearly twice your age and prefer offline only video games. You can be excited, I am not because I do not see it adding any significant gameplay value to the game as a whole.

I am also not a reality TV junkie and don't do buzzfeed. So upon hearing about this new thing, my reaction was indifference. I just view it as a waste of resources, and a terrible PR stunt. My prediction is that is will be just another project that will fail in about a year. Again it is not my being negative, but being realistic and skeptical.
    I'm an oldie and am constantly amazed about what life comes up with. I suppose it comes with age and from a time when anything to do with computers was like SF from StarTrek. I don't really have any excuse for complaining about anything new, except for the quality of it! Good luck to 'em! <3
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Yes, the game needs changes, but that doesn't mean they can't move in new directions! Also, no one knows if this is good yet, because it's not out and the challenges haven't been released.

@prettyprettyplumbob The problem isn't the quality of the show. It could be the best show ever nobody knows. The criticism comes from EA's priorities in ads and marketing and not in the game, in the fact that only rich popular simmers (YouTubers etc) get to participate and nobody else and also because EA is taking a game know for not having rules or a goal and known for being a game everyone can play in their own way and turning it into a competition. That totally contradicts itself.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

@prettyprettyplumbob The problem isn't the quality of the show. It could be the best show ever nobody knows. The criticism comes from EA's priorities in ads and marketing and not in the game, in the fact that only rich popular simmers (YouTubers etc) get to participate and nobody else and also because EA is taking a game know for not having rules or a goal and known for being a game everyone can play in their own way and turning it into a competition. That totally contradicts itself.

Choosing (or not choosing) to play a challenge is part of "playing your way". I don't see this as a contradicting at all? There is literally an entire forum section for challenges and the top threads being links to challenge lists. Yes, they are simmer created, but I fail to see why it's ok for simmer's to create challenges but it's not ok for EA/Maxis. Same rules apply, you can still play your way and that can be part of a challenge or not.

I can understand where the criticism might come from with them seeming like they're paying more attention to ads than game fixes but I don't understand this whole challenges don't belong in sims thing when simmers have been doing challenges since the very beginning.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited July 2020
    The negativity is probably a little more than usual because of a lot of people that have problems with the game after the latest patch and Eco Lifestyle, or the focus of Maxis marketing in general where it feels like they are focusing more on marketing than patching the game, but I am happy that you are looking forward to it.

I like to think that people can be critical over something without condemning others liking it.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    You do you OP. Go ahead support it, no one is stopping you. But please stop lumping every person that has a negative opinion as negative people. There are good reasons for us to be negative about this. But please, do go and enjoy it. I am happy you like it. No one is stopping you.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    adduapina wrote: »

Lol everyone is acting like I'm fourteen...
    I'm 27 for the record.... I've been with the franchise since the beginning, and I'm open and excited about change!
    I also haven't had a tv since 2009... I just think this is a cool new direction!

Snipped the irrelevant bits out of ^ the quote. You assumed a tad too much there, friend! And even more, you seem to have gotten to a defensive side here. There should be no need to polarize anything anymore, aight?

If you read carefully, you'll see that I wrote old in "'s and clearly stated "as in outdated" and I'm in my thirties btw :+1: . I did not question your age, nor your commitment to the franchise and as I stated in my previous post: I am trying to be positive and hopeful etc.
    Also having a similar situation as you for not owning a tv for all my adult life :)

I am not offended but I would advise you to read carefully the posts that you answer to (especially when quoting), for there was no need for you to think that I think that you're 14. If you genuinely want to be happy about this stuff, then maybe try to be happy about us other simmers too joining in your conversation and supporting your view as I tried to do in my post even if I do not completely utterly and fully agree on your point.

Have a nice day, I hope the show meets all your expectations <3

origin ID: adduapina
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    I totally understand and appreciate criticisms, but to see the Sims on TV is amazing!

And to be fair, I don't think this will take away from development of the game-- if anything it will bring in more money, resources, and interest in the sims! EA has really been delivering this year. In my opinion this has been one of the best years so far for TS4.

Personally I LOVE competition format shows, and I LOVE fun sims challenges. This is already the exact content I'm consuming on youtube anyways, just formatted for a wider audience so we can share the love 🌈

Maybe we are all so used to be negative and critical, we can't see change and progress when it is right in front of our face 😂
    Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can appreciate there are some problems with the execution, but be sure to comment if you're HYPED so we can help change the conversation!

I'm excited too. I think a lot of the negativity stems from the perception that any and all resources allocated to marketing the game can or should be reallocated to development, which is never going to happen. There will always be resources dedicated to marketing the game. And as I said in the main thread, I would much rather the marketing team partner with a production company to make a TV show than to partner with a designer clothing company to make a $600 hoodie that nobody can actually afford.

For a network like TBS to greenlight something like this is a big deal. TBS is not a major network by any means, but they are still a fairly standard cable channel. Beyond that, they also have the syndication rights to a lot of older TV shows and movies-they do some original programming, but they are still primarily seen as a "rerun" channel. Even with the entertainment industry being shut down due to the ongoing pandemic, they could very easily fill out their schedule with reruns and movie airings. A few Friends, Seinfeld, and Star Wars marathons and they're good for a week. Yes, game shows are cheap, but do you know what's even cheaper? Just airing a few episodes of Bob's Burgers back to back.

The fact that they were willing to greenlight something like this means that this game-and this community-still has enough cultural relevance to justify the production costs, and that, to me at least, is something to celebrate.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Negativity is feedback just like positivity is, but no it does not excite me and I have nothing negative to say anything about it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I wouldn't say I'm excited, but I'm intrigued by the concept. And I'm interested in perhaps discovering new talent that I may not have seen before -- just because someone is a content creator (be it YouTube or Twitch), it doesn't mean that everyone has seen their work.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I'm excited too. I think a lot of the negativity stems from the perception that any and all resources allocated to marketing the game can or should be reallocated to development, which is never going to happen. There will always be resources dedicated to marketing the game. And as I said in the main thread, I would much rather the marketing team partner with a production company to make a TV show than to partner with a designer clothing company to make a $600 hoodie that nobody can actually afford.

For a network like TBS to greenlight something like this is a big deal. TBS is not a major network by any means, but they are still a fairly standard cable channel. Beyond that, they also have the syndication rights to a lot of older TV shows and movies-they do some original programming, but they are still primarily seen as a "rerun" channel. Even with the entertainment industry being shut down due to the ongoing pandemic, they could very easily fill out their schedule with reruns and movie airings. A few Friends, Seinfeld, and Star Wars marathons and they're good for a week. Yes, game shows are cheap, but do you know what's even cheaper? Just airing a few episodes of Bob's Burgers back to back.

The fact that they were willing to greenlight something like this means that this game-and this community-still has enough cultural relevance to justify the production costs, and that, to me at least, is something to celebrate.

Technically this was made well before the pandemic, so they had an interest even before everything went crazy and shut down, especially sports as they show a lot of that as well. This is just a good time to show it, especially summer when the target audience doesn't have school responsibilities and such.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited July 2020
    I think a lot of the negativity stems from the perception that any and all resources allocated to marketing the game can or should be reallocated to development, which is never going to happen.

Snipped because it's a long post and this is the pertinent part.

No. We don't want ALL marketing money funneled into development. We want more than what they're getting.
    We want a fairer distribution than the 99% to marketing, 1% to development than we currently have.

We want equity.
    wJbomAo.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member

I'm excited. And I'm definitely not their target audience, Gen Z. :p
  • AuroraBoreallisAuroraBoreallis Posts: 108 Member
    Well, I guess I will throw my 2 cents in ....

I am definitely not their target audience, Gen X (over 50) ... However, I am excited about this show ....

I do agree with some of the things said here ... For example do I wish more money, time, thought and our opinions were put into development ... Of course I do ... Are things missing in the game from Sims 1, 2, 3 that I wish 4 had ... Yes ... I could go on but you get the idea ....

Maybe I am different because I am a reality show junkie ... I love Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, Project Runway, Survivor, Big Brother, Halloween Wars and I could go on with many more ... LOL

What I do not like about this show so far is this ... As far as I can tell the players are all influencer's ... I do hope if they plan to do another season of this show that they pick "normal" (for lack of a better word) players to compete .... We have so many talented Simmers who are not influencers and I think they would be the perfect players for this show ...

Why am I excited ... Well, as I already stated I am a reality show junkie ... I love the Sims ... I hope that by watching I might learn something ...

I am not the best at building ... I am not good at creating my own Sims ... I usually download Sims from the gallery and build very basic houses ... I am not into sitting down and watching YouTube for hours on end ... That's just not me ... I am not a big social media person ... I have FB ... I don't Tweet, I don't have Tumblr, My kids got me Twitch (which I think is attached to my Amazon) which they use ... So all these forms of social media are not me ...

Anyway, back to the OP ... I am excited to see this show ... So you are not alone ....
    edited July 2020
    Well, I guess I will throw my 2 cents in ....

I am definitely not their target audience, Gen X (over 50) ... However, I am excited about this show ....

I do agree with some of the things said here ... For example do I wish more money, time, thought and our opinions were put into development ... Of course I do ... Are things missing in the game from Sims 1, 2, 3 that I wish 4 had ... Yes ... I could go on but you get the idea ....

Maybe I am different because I am a reality show junkie ... I love Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, Project Runway, Survivor, Big Brother, Halloween Wars and I could go on with many more ... LOL

What I do not like about this show so far is this ... As far as I can tell the players are all influencer's ... I do hope if they plan to do another season of this show that they pick "normal" (for lack of a better word) players to compete .... We have so many talented Simmers who are not influencers and I think they would be the perfect players for this show ...

Why am I excited ... Well, as I already stated I am a reality show junkie ... I love the Sims ... I hope that by watching I might learn something ...

I am not the best at building ... I am not good at creating my own Sims ... I usually download Sims from the gallery and build very basic houses ... I am not into sitting down and watching YouTube for hours on end ... That's just not me ... I am not a big social media person ... I have FB ... I don't Tweet, I don't have Tumblr, My kids got me Twitch (which I think is attached to my Amazon) which they use ... So all these forms of social media are not me ...

Anyway, back to the OP ... I am excited to see this show ... So you are not alone ....

Me too. I will be watching on one old laptop (if I can from the uk) whilst playing Sims 4 at slow or pause speed on the new one! <3

I'm hoping too, that the new Challenges Tab might mean some new people could get a chance to go on the show later too .
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    Well, since you asked, no I'm not as excited as you are. I'm not interested in this at all. New directions for The Sims seems to me to move away from the actual Sims games and become a different genre. You know there is a reason The Sims have lasted for twenty years and it is because it was never about competition, nor game changers, nor who is the most popular player and or leader who had more followers and or who was making more money over on Youtube, nor who could talk the most. Anyone who played The Sims already knows all this. The reason Simmers love The Sims so much is because it was never about political movements infiltrated into EPs, or who can gain the most followers, who can build the fastest, nor who can offer a challenge.
    The challenge was in the care of the Sim itself, and how we decided if we made them happy or destroyed them. Since all that has been removed, a personality, a smart AI, consequences from bad choices, and complicated relationships and careers from the game, I guess Maxis has no choice but to try to turn it into any other EA game that offers 'competition' to gain more revenue, since they seemed to have forgotten what the heck they are supposed to be buidling...a life simulator.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.