Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

They're never going to add full actual religion into the game, and that's okay. But what if they did

123457...Next

Comments

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2020
    leo3487 wrote: »
    You see why cant talk about religion and The Sims 4 never will bring religions. It can be offensive for several groups than was opressed due religion rules

We can talk about it and have for pages. This thread and others. We are talking about tools that allow us to create whatever we want that is similar to irl religion/spirituality or made up ones, not a cut & dry exact replica of real religions. I understand some people have been oppressed from religions, but also some religious have also been oppressed by nonreligious. It goes both ways, but this thread is not the topic to talk about the merits or lack thereof of real life religion, this is talking about tools and customization in a Sims game. But youre free to create a topic about that in off-topic. You can create whatever sims you want in the game, none of them are being oppressed by eachother. There is no oppression in the Sims.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited July 2020
    I don't see any problem with Maxis implementing a made up religion purely for the Sims, I'd like something similar to the Tribunal Temple religion from Morrowind - where you have three different entities (daedra) you can worship in return for different bonuses and boons. You could have the churches feud with one another like arranging pranks, toilet papering, etc. Conversely have sims host benefits and sell items for church-sponsored charities and of course have school & work days off for church-related holidays.
    I was watching a sims medieval lets play and I seen your sims are agnostic from the beginning. But certain actions will build their faith until it reaches a status where they believe in The Watcher. I think this would be cool to see. And being able to access that in CAS from the beginning.

From the wiki:
     Sims (except for priests) start out as Agnostics, neither believing in or disbelieving in the Watcher.

Priests can attempt to convert others to their faith, either by directly discussing it with individuals or giving sermons, which has a small chance of spontaneously converting Sims who listen to them. In addition, when being controlled, a hero can speak with a priest and ask to join their church, automatically converting the hero to the priest's religion.

Priests cannot attempt to convert rival priests away from their faith, nor do they get the option of joining the other priest's church.

Heroes who have a faith can approach the priest of their church to renounce their faith, turning them back into Agnostics. This doesn't harm their relationship with the priest, give either Sim a negative buff, or even remove buffs restricted to members of the faith they're renouncing.

https://thesimsmedieval.fandom.com/wiki/Religion

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    You see why cant talk about religion and The Sims 4 never will bring religions. It can be offensive for several groups than was opressed due religion rules

Dude, if it's optional what does it matter.Simple don't play that way
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I think the Sims actually have their religions.
    There's the Llama idol, the food offering of
    Grilled Cheese Sandwiches,
    the Samaritan drinking from sinks,
    the Spa meditation praying,
    the giving to poor Sims and
    the worshipping dances.
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    We should be able to limit certain holidays to certain households or clubs, to atleast give the allusion.
  • Meerkat_SimsMeerkat_Sims Posts: 3 New Member
    I try and add events to my Calendar that can keep as many religions/cultures happy at once as possible. Winterfest has a Festive Lighting option, and I'm going to add an event just after Halloween/Spooky Day that tries to incorporate elements of Dia De Los Muertos, Guy Fawkes Night and Remembrance Day. I figure that if Jacobans and Peterans are just Simlish versions of Christianity, there are going to be Simlish versions of all the other major world religions - but that being Sims, they probably all share a lot of holidays with maybe a couple of differences.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    I wouldn’t want real religion in the game but I wouldn’t mind if they created a medieval pack & Introduced a religion of them worshiping some type of idol or dragon?
    When you have a wedding arch everyone present sits down to watch the ceremony. If we had a podium that gave you the same action you could recreate a Sim giving a talk at your place of worship.

Also if there is a songbook object your sims could use to sing together, thatd be cool. Like for example in ts2 when you do the smustle, sims may also start joining spontaneously. You could do the same with this.

I think there is something like that in TS4:Seasons but I dont own it so I dont know exactly how it works. But if you can create your own melodies theyd sing to thatd be really cool! Like in animal crossing they give you some simple notes and you can make any short melody for your neighborhood. Using something like that would be great.

• IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    When you have a wedding arch everyone present sits down to watch the ceremony. If we had a podium that gave you the same action you could recreate a Sim giving a talk at your place of worship.

Also if there is a songbook object your sims could use to sing together, thatd be cool. Like for example in ts2 when you do the smustle, sims may also start joining spontaneously. You could do the same with this.

I think there is something like that in TS4:Seasons but I dont own it so I dont know exactly how it works. But if you can create your own melodies theyd sing to thatd be really cool! Like in animal crossing they give you some simple notes and you can make any short melody for your neighborhood. Using something like that would be great.

Yeah, in seasons you can click on holiday objects like the tree and have everyone sing around them. It would probably be pretty easy to rework that into singing hymns or songs in a pew with someone at the podium. We already have an organ with vampires. You’d want a standing piano as well, though, as for modern churches I think those are more common.

(And maybe also a harp?)
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

Yeah, in seasons you can click on holiday objects like the tree and have everyone sing around them. It would probably be pretty easy to rework that into singing hymns or songs in a pew with someone at the podium. We already have an organ with vampires. You’d want a standing piano as well, though, as for modern churches I think those are more common.

(And maybe also a harp?)

My congregation also does not have a choir but we all sing together at the same time from our seats (not on a stage). So I'd like to be able to do something like that, too. Live instruments sound cool, but is there a band feature in TS4 yet?

• SimbastienSimbastien Posts: 111 Member
    If they do this it would have to be a fake religion partially based on on real religions. I really don't want real religions in The Sims
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited August 2020
    For Religion to be added into the game every religion, every sect for each religion and atheism would have to be added and added respectfully with no mistakes. Meaning if you are Protestant you can't be upset because Catholics, Buddhists, Wicca, Satanists, Temple of Set, Athesist etc are in the game. By leaving one religion out it can come across as Religious persecution and people of that religion justifyingly so complaining about how the sims are anti fill in the blank religion left out.

With that said I would love to see all the religions and atheism in the game. It could add some interesting gameplay.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2020

(And maybe also a harp?)

My congregation also does not have a choir but we all sing together at the same time from our seats (not on a stage). So I'd like to be able to do something like that, too. Live instruments sound cool, but is there a band feature in TS4 yet?
    My congregation has singing together too from our seats and would love that interaction which would be nice to have for all Sims. I would love to have a band again to in the Sims. Instruments in the Sims 2 and 3 were nice, but I wouldn't mind it expanded upon.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    For Religion to be added into the game every religion, every sect for each religion and atheism would have to be added and added respectfully with no mistakes. Meaning if you are Protestant you can't be upset because Catholics, Buddhists, Wicca, Satanists, Temple of Set, Athesist etc are in the game. By leaving one religion out it can come across as Religious persecution and people of that religion justifyingly so complaining about how the sims are anti fill in the blank religion left out.

With that said I would love to see all the religions and atheism in the game. It could add some interesting gameplay.

We’ve discussed this before, but the best way would probably be not to name any real religion at all. Instead you create a “build a religion” tool that works like building clubs or holidays, and is controlled from manage worlds.

You include a huge array of options, so any religion can be made by the player, but you don’t force any particular religion into the game.

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Here's the truth, There's No Religion in Heaven.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Sims 2 PSP flashbacks
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    I’m somewhat indifferent about this. I guess it’ll be interesting if it could be done in a tasteful manner like the OP suggest. But let’s be honest—it’ll require extensive research and budget that the studio might not do nowadays, seeing how the human psychological elements are largely neglected in this iteration.

By the way, @Scobre , the Lunar New Year has nothing to do with religion, just a reminder here. 😇 The Lunar New Year exists because of the ancient calendars (Lunar Calendar) that were used in East and Southeast Asia.

And this is where my concern lies at—I fully understand and don’t expect an American studio to understand all religions, but that’s where errors might arise. Many posters (myself included) find amusement in the religions in Medieval. Though let’s be honest, the buildings and practices resemble Abrahamic religions. And I think the “free” customization that this pack provides might be Abrahamic religions-centric, just like how the Seasons holiday customization is.
    edited August 2020
    I’m somewhat indifferent about this. I guess it’ll be interesting if it could be done in a tasteful manner like the OP suggest. But let’s be honest—it’ll require extensive research and budget that the studio might not do nowadays, seeing how the human psychological elements are largely neglected in this iteration.

By the way, @Scobre , the Lunar New Year has nothing to do with religion, just a reminder here. 😇 The Lunar New Year exists because of the ancient calendars (Lunar Calendar) that were used in East and Southeast Asia.

And this is where my concern lies at—I fully understand and don’t expect an American studio to understand all religions, but that’s where errors might arise. Many posters (myself included) find amusement in the religions in Medieval. Though let’s be honest, the buildings and practices resemble Abrahamic religions. And I think the “free” customization that this pack provides might be Abrahamic religions-centric, just like how the Seasons holiday customization is.
    Many of those holidays actually had origins in Roman pagan practices. Some origins in Egyptian and Irish beliefs. Like Christmas came from the Yule log. Just some religions adapted those beliefs to make it more popular to the masses. My religion focuses more on first century Christianity. I don't think anyone understands all religions and many misinformation arises. I looked into the history of Halloween too and it dates back to people mourning over those lost in Noah's flood. It is like the telephone game, tell a story enough and it becomes something different.

The cross came from a pagan druid and I saw a picture of it and is quite scary.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross

I just hate when Abrahamic Christians are mixed with Roman Christians. We have different beliefs and focus more on love of the underdogs and not on guilt tripping people with hellfire for money.

Anyway why I want a tool because even with Christianity beliefs vary.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    The only thing from my real world faith practices I'd like is an advent wreath that satisfies the "lights" holiday tradition. At the moment, it's just the menorah, the kinara (sp?) and the tree. (A CC one would work, just the only one I've found is fiddly and doesn't activate the tradition)

• Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Many of those holidays actually had origins in Roman pagan practices. Some origins in Egyptian and Irish beliefs. Like Christmas came from the Yule log. Just some religions adapted those beliefs to make it more popular to the masses. My religion focuses more on first century Christianity. I don't think anyone understands all religions and many misinformation arises. I looked into the history of Halloween too and it dates back to people mourning over those lost in Noah's flood. It is like the telephone game, tell a story enough and it becomes something different.

I just hate when Abrahamic Christians are mixed with Roman Christians. We have different beliefs and focus more on love of the underdogs and not on guilt tripping people with hellfire for money.

I fully understand your viewpoint and am sorry if my statement offended you in any way. And thank you for such an educational response :smiley: My knowledge on Christianity was mainly from the Western Theology class that I took in college.

My previous point was to mention that LNY did not, and still does not have any religious context, unlike holidays like Christmas or Easter that, as you said, was incorporated into several religions.

I fully understand your viewpoint and am sorry if my statement offended you in any way. And thank you for such an educational response :smiley: My knowledge on Christianity was mainly from the Western Theology class that I took in college.

My previous point was to mention that LNY did not, and still does not have any religious context, unlike holidays like Christmas or Easter that, as you said, was incorporated into several religions.
    No worries. I just hope they incorporate a tool so many beliefs can be played. Some of my friends were so happy when Realm of magic came out so they could play their true selves too. Sims community is very diverse.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

(And maybe also a harp?)

My congregation has singing together too from our seats and would love that interaction which would be nice to have for all Sims. I would love to have a band again to in the Sims. Instruments in the Sims 2 and 3 were nice, but I wouldn't mind it expanded upon.

This is what we do too.. Though there is a choir that sings on Christmas eve and Easter that anyone can join. And right now we just sing from home on zoom haha

(And maybe also a harp?)

This is what we do too.. Though there is a choir that sings on Christmas eve and Easter that anyone can join. And right now we just sing from home on zoom haha
    We sing from home now too. I am glad you are keeping safe. We had an old friend from Texas give a presentation today which wouldn't be possible without the help of video chat programs. A different week someone from the Amazon gave it, so it is neat seeing people from all over the world still.