Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Spark'd - Coming July 17th!

Comments

• amchristianamchristian Posts: 1,246 Member
    Gita wrote: »
    I don't like this at all, but my compliments to the marketing team. It's just a way to sell the game, isn't it?

Sure it is. A way to entice even more people to buy a broken game full of bugs.

You know what it takes to fix bugs and add content? People. What do people need to work? Money. How does the game get more money? More people play it. It's really a win-win.

I'm really looking forward to watching a show based on something I enjoy. I'm thrilled for the people who were chosen for the first season. I hope this brings a lot more customers to buy and play TS4 and that we will all benefit from it. Seriously, though, how cool is it that there is a game show for The Sims?! Who would have thought it!
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    trophy wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about this. Sims was always an escape for me to tell my own stories, until now the sims never was a TV show where already established gamechangers can show off and earn big money. I might watch it if it ever reaches a TV channel in my country but I for the rest I just want to play the game myself.

It is nice for those who are interested, it's just not for me.

I hope they show off, I want to see some cool builds and stories, Being someone who loves decorating in game it is inspiring to me. Also I do not see this as really big money, it seems like a team of 3 wins the $100,000. Taxes will take half of that but still a nice payout.

Also I notice that people are only mentioning TBS as a way to watch the show. It will be on Buzzfeed’s YouTube channel a day later and you can select subtitles in the language of your choice through settings. Maybe give it a chance, if you do not like it you can still play your game.

Not a day later, It airs on TBS on Thursday the 17th, then on Buzzfeed on Monday the 20th.

Thank you for the correction.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2020
    I have to ask. Why not put 100K into making the game better for everyone?

I would assume it's because they are focusing on extending the life cycle of the sims4. So they are more interested in gathering new players than supporting the game.

I would prefer that they invest more in people that can help them fix bugs and help them make new content easier for them to make and implement without breaking the game.

If they don't want to invest in that but instead give more money to their marketing department, then I think that we should move on to the sims 5 to be honest.
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    logion wrote: »

I would assume it's because they are focusing on extending the life cycle of the sims4. So they are more interested in gathering new players than supporting the game.

I would prefer that they invest more in people that can help them fix bugs and help them make new content easier for them to make and implement without breaking the game.

If they don't want to invest in that but instead give them more money to their marketing department, then I think that we should move on to the sims 5 to be honest.

Same...

• Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Exactly... but they come up with this... :|

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited July 2020
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Meh... Not for me but i wish good luck for who wants to be involved!

Me neither. zzz I also agree with others, take the money and improve the game, instead.

Btw, I think Youtubers and us gallery contributors do amazing work without needing the pressure to compete with each other for $100k. The game is supposed to be fun. Not make others feel they are not good enough, lol.
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    I don't like this at all, but my compliments to the marketing team. It's just a way to sell the game, isn't it?

You know what it takes to fix bugs and add content? People. What do people need to work? Money. How does the game get more money? More people play it. It's really a win-win.

I'm really looking forward to watching a show based on something I enjoy. I'm thrilled for the people who were chosen for the first season. I hope this brings a lot more customers to buy and play TS4 and that we will all benefit from it. Seriously, though, how cool is it that there is a game show for The Sims?! Who would have thought it!

You are positive, but still after 6 years they haven't fixed issues people have been complaining about since day one. After so long time I would recon that it's either not feasible or that they don't care.
    I don't understand your reasoning that customers should spend their hard earned money to back up a multinational company. No, it's the other way around, give us a flawless game and we gladly buy it.

Anyway have fun wathching the show.
  • MistyLakeMistyLake Posts: 1,700 Member

"Twelve diverse and talented Simmers will be challenged and show their creativity in The Sims with the chance to win $100,000!"

What does that mean exactly? Who choose which simmers will be among these 12? Will these "game changers" etc be allowed to participate?
    "By Grabthar's Hammer! Let There Be Sims!"
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    Huh, well...I can't say I was expecting this. It does seem like an interesting concept, though. (And as far as marketing techniques go, I'd much rather see this than a clothing line nobody can afford.)

It makes perfect sense that they would test the concept using their Game Changers first, since they already have a working relationship with them. It will be interesting to see what the vetting process looks like for season 2 and what the in-game challenges actually are.

I do like that the premise includes not only character creation and building, but storytelling as well-and that the judges include people from outside the Sims development team.

Speaking of, I did want to add to the discussion surrounding the prize money. First of all, as many others have already stated, the marketing budget and the development budget for the game are two separate entities. Scaling one back does not increase the other. However, it's also important to remember that in this case, EA is probably farther removed from the prize amount than you may think.

This show is airing on TBS, which is a commercial cable channel in the US. That means that there will be ad breaks during the airing of the show. I haven't watched anything on Buzzfeed Multiplayer, but I assume that ads are incorporated there as well. Those ads are where the prize money comes from, not EA.

That's not to say that EA hasn't made a financial investment in this show. But that investment most likely came in the form of paying a production company. The production company then helped develop the concept, sold the show to TBS and Buzzfeed, who agreed to purchase it because of how potentially appealing it was to advertisers. The production company then used that revenue to produce the show-including setting $100,000 aside as prize money. EA could not have used that money for game development if they wanted to, because it was the production's budget, not theirs. The only other uses for that money would have been building a nicer set or putting the contestants in a nicer hotel.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • MortimerGothMortimerGoth Posts: 80 Member
    Not my cup of tea, but I'm probably not the target audience. It feels strange to see the Sims used in a competitive gameshow.

It reminds me of a similar programme where teams would build things with Lego which were then judged by a panel. I felt sorry for the teams who would be eliminated after putting a lot of effort into their builds. Surely things like Lego and the Sims are about creativity and sharing, rather than 'who is best'.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I'd rather have a show about The Sims than another "kill everyone before they kill you" FPS type game. I've watched a little bit of the shows where athletes play sports video games and that's pretty cool too.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    trophy wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about this. Sims was always an escape for me to tell my own stories, until now the sims never was a TV show where already established gamechangers can show off and earn big money. I might watch it if it ever reaches a TV channel in my country but I for the rest I just want to play the game myself.

It is nice for those who are interested, it's just not for me.

I hope they show off, I want to see some cool builds and stories, Being someone who loves decorating in game it is inspiring to me. Also I do not see this as really big money, it seems like a team of 3 wins the $100,000. Taxes will take half of that but still a nice payout.

Also I notice that people are only mentioning TBS as a way to watch the show. It will be on Buzzfeed’s YouTube channel a day later and you can select subtitles in the language of your choice through settings. Maybe give it a chance, if you do not like it you can still play your game.

Not a day later, It airs on TBS on Thursday the 17th, then on Buzzfeed on Monday the 20th.

TBS is also repeating the weekly episode on Saturday mornings -- guess Buzzfeed has to wait till TBS is done before they can show it.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    What in the world have I missed??? Are you kidding me?! This is awful. No thanks won't be watching.
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! We've had to remove a few comments that were against our forum rules/guidelines. Let's make sure we keep things friendly and constructive.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

EA_Joz
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member

They can't put that "100K" into the game because that money most likely came from a different "pot" (such as from the production company getting the money from advertisers). It's not coming out of the Sims development "pot" but from an outside source for use in the TV show.

However, with a show like this, it can bring in more people to buy the Sims. And *that* money can be used to make the game better for everyone.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    KatAnubis wrote: »

They can't put that "100K" into the game because that money most likely came from a different "pot" (such as from the production company getting the money from advertisers). It's not coming out of the Sims development "pot" but from an outside source for use in the TV show.

However, with a show like this, it can bring in more people to buy the Sims. And *that* money can be used to make the game better for everyone.

...Yeah I get that last part..but.....the 4th installment, is "said" that it is the best selling game out of all of them...yet.....they don't have ANY budget for it to improve it?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2020
    KatAnubis wrote: »

True but from hearing about how much the sims4 is selling...

4.8 million unique players last year, our monthly active players continued to grow year-over-year and we just crossed $1 billion in lifetime revenue for the game - quote from last year.

I don't think they need it.
  • Christabelle73Christabelle73 Posts: 124 Member

lol The 100k isn't coming from the creators of the game, so it's not like their losing money toward development.
    MistyLake wrote: »
    "Twelve diverse and talented Simmers will be challenged and show their creativity in The Sims with the chance to win $100,000!"

What does that mean exactly? Who choose which simmers will be among these 12? Will these "game changers" etc be allowed to participate?

lol Really that's what you take away from that...smh. The Game Changers are the 12 that will be participating for the 100k. The ones that choose to participate and submit to the Gallery Challenges will ONLY be competing for a chance to be on Season 2.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    I hope that those who are looking forward to this enjoy it but honestly I think it's absolutely ludicrous.
    I hope that those who are looking forward to this enjoy it but honestly I think it's absolutely ludicrous.

Why? Do you think all game shows are bad? Or just this one?
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member

Why? Do you think all game shows are bad? Or just this one?

Neither. There's this thing called "middle ground" or sometimes "a case by case basis." I've thought some were wildly entertaining, some were educational, some were addictive, some were boring, some were repellent, and some were, as I think this one is, ludicrous. And of course there are a vast number that I've probably never even heard of.

I don't find Sims 4 gameplay to be a compelling subject for a competition show and my first reaction was "You've got to be kidding me." Obviously, however, a lot of people disagree with me and that's totally fine. My thinking this is ridiculous is not a judgement on anyone else's opinion.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > I have to ask. Why not put 100K into making the game better for everyone?

There might be sponsors contributing. I don't see EA paying all of this outta their own pockets.
  • SarahLou372SarahLou372 Posts: 112 Member
    Will this be avalible to watch in the UK??
    ...**~ThePinkPlumbob~**...
    50098910897_98e2501452_o.jpg
    Will this be avalible to watch in the UK??

That's why it will be shown the following Monday on Youtube's Buzzfeed