Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Animations are expensive." "We have a tight budget." But hey let's make a TV show.

2...Next

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Wow, you OP hit the nail on the head. :( Like...who gave the go-ahead? Are y'all out of y'alls minds?!
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    Placebo7 wrote: »
    You guys are hilarious. The "different team, different budget" line. LOL. Don't make that team. Then it doesn't need a budget. We could use that to make a decent Sims game. This would be the action of a company concerned about providing loyal players a quality project, though.

So no marketing team? 😐
    Im all in to having a better marketing team (this one is inventing ridiculous stuff imo) or allocating budgets in a different way. But they need a marketing team...

Going to extravagant (and strange and embarrassing, TBH) lengths to market a bad game is not what I would call a great practice, nor is it the action of a company that deserves defense. Make your product great (like it was) first.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    I highly doubt it cost them millions to make... They likely own the studio they filmed in and they probably didn't pay the game changers any more than their plane tickets, hotels and food. You can also be sure that the TV station this is being aired on and Buzzfeed have contributed to some of the costs of making this as well.

It's also unfair to say the youtubers have enough money. How do you know what is enough? I mean I'm sure they make a living but how is ANY of that relevant? They worked for their money and EA didn't pay them, their ad revenue for their channel does and probably some fan donations as well. Some might get asked by EA on occasion to make a video and those clearly say when they are sponsored, otherwise, their content is largely reliant on their own fan base and ads, independant of EA. It was because of that work, initially done for free, that eventually led them to become game changers.

It's like not letting someone play "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" because they already are millionaires. I don't think they base their contestants on the size of their bank accounts and I don't think it's for EA (or us) to judge who should or shouldn't compete based on personal wealth or lack of it.

This is also just the beginning. Apparently through the gallery contests, fans will be chosen for next season. It does make some sense to use people used to being in front of a camera to try to sell this initial season.

On the lighter side who can we blame? I wonder if Maxis divides up the budgets after EA sanctions their budgets. Everyone says it was marketing but who determines how much of budget marketing gets and how much of a budget the bug fixer gets. General Manager of Maxis? or EA headquarters.

I would expect the budget is decided depending on what EA thinks that Maxis can deliver and have delivered in the past.

If I had to guess, this TV show is something that they are doing to extend the lifetime of the sims4. The leaders of Maxis probably had a meeting with EA and they discussed what Maxis can do for the next years and this is what they agreed on. Extend the life of the sims4 for at least a couple of years more. And bring social competition and more online interaction to the sims.

When it comes to bug fixing I have no idea what is going on, it's almost as if the people who are working on bug fixing have other deadlines to worry about and they don't get paid to do bug fixing. Or because they outsourced whoever made the packs so the bug fixing team has to spend so much time just trying to understand how things got built.

The only positive thing that I have seen recently is that Maxis have hired new people and it's also possible that this gallery competition is the only social competition and online interaction that we will see in the sims. Until the sims5 gets announced anyway.

The saddest thing I read today is where one of the advid Simmers (we all know them as such) who is always positive about content no matter which game and always posts what they want to see in a patch and or a pack for all the games when they are current, true believer, said something like 'this is for the gamechangers' that says a lot. Someone who is always positive almost all the time, saw this as being for the gamechangers so they were hoping for something in their wish list the next time....think about that frame of mind. An extremely dedicated Simmer who rarely has any complaint about anything, not in TS2, or TS3 or TS4, looked at this and said it was for gamechangers. That's really sad and Maxis has again even mananged to disappoint the most advid, dedicated believer they have. Not a 'game changer' but just a player w@ho is always happy about most content no matter what.

ETA: It's my opinion the only people who will watch this 'show' are those who care about things like status in gaming circles. Most Simmers who play to play and don't care about a 'status' will rarely, if ever watch it. I don't know what Maxis is trying to do, it's not build fun gameplay anymore is it.

I feel that some people will like it I just don't think that person is me or a lot of people here I think this is them trying to get an older player base ones that never played the sims game when younger if they see adults playing they'll feel like its ok for them to play to
    I could be wrong @Cinebar
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Yeah i agree with Duvelina. Different teams, different budgets. Im just sad to see this representation of my favourite game... very lame.

It may be different teams, but it seems they keep focusing of projects like this and not the game...Like I've seen SO many tweets from gurus just hamming it up. Yeah cool, some people will enjoy that..but can we get back to working on fixing the game and developing new things?

I feel exactly the same way. Who cares about some game show or whatever it is when your game needs some major bug fixes right now.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    You guys are hilarious. The "different team, different budget" line. LOL. Don't make that team. Then it doesn't need a budget. We could use that to make a decent Sims game. This would be the action of a company concerned about providing loyal players a quality project, though.

So no marketing team? 😐
    Im all in to having a better marketing team (this one is inventing ridiculous stuff imo) or allocating budgets in a different way. But they need a marketing team...

Going to extravagant (and strange and embarrassing, TBH) lengths to market a bad game is not what I would call a great practice, nor is it the action of a company that deserves defense. Make your product great (like it was) first.

Agree
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I highly doubt it cost them millions to make... They likely own the studio they filmed in and they probably didn't pay the game changers any more than their plane tickets, hotels and food. You can also be sure that the TV station this is being aired on and Buzzfeed have contributed to some of the costs of making this as well.

It's also unfair to say the youtubers have enough money. How do you know what is enough? I mean I'm sure they make a living but how is ANY of that relevant? They worked for their money and EA didn't pay them, their ad revenue for their channel does and probably some fan donations as well. Some might get asked by EA on occasion to make a video and those clearly say when they are sponsored, otherwise, their content is largely reliant on their own fan base and ads, independant of EA. It was because of that work, initially done for free, that eventually led them to become game changers.

It's like not letting someone play "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" because they already are millionaires. I don't think they base their contestants on the size of their bank accounts and I don't think it's for EA (or us) to judge who should or shouldn't compete based on personal wealth or lack of it.

This is also just the beginning. Apparently through the gallery contests, fans will be chosen for next season. It does make some sense to use people used to being in front of a camera to try to sell this initial season.

On the lighter side who can we blame? I wonder if Maxis divides up the budgets after EA sanctions their budgets. Everyone says it was marketing but who determines how much of budget marketing gets and how much of a budget the bug fixer gets. General Manager of Maxis? or EA headquarters.

I would expect the budget is decided depending on what EA thinks that Maxis can deliver and have delivered in the past.

If I had to guess, this TV show is something that they are doing to extend the lifetime of the sims4. The leaders of Maxis probably had a meeting with EA and they discussed what Maxis can do for the next years and this is what they agreed on. Extend the life of the sims4 for at least a couple of years more. And bring social competition and more online interaction to the sims.

When it comes to bug fixing I have no idea what is going on, it's almost as if the people who are working on bug fixing have other deadlines to worry about and they don't get paid to do bug fixing. Or because they outsourced whoever made the packs so the bug fixing team has to spend so much time just trying to understand how things got built.

The only positive thing that I have seen recently is that Maxis have hired new people and it's also possible that this gallery competition is the only social competition and online interaction that we will see in the sims. Until the sims5 gets announced anyway.

The saddest thing I read today is where one of the advid Simmers (we all know them as such) who is always positive about content no matter which game and always posts what they want to see in a patch and or a pack for all the games when they are current, true believer, said something like 'this is for the gamechangers' that says a lot. Someone who is always positive almost all the time, saw this as being for the gamechangers so they were hoping for something in their wish list the next time....think about that frame of mind. An extremely dedicated Simmer who rarely has any complaint about anything, not in TS2, or TS3 or TS4, looked at this and said it was for gamechangers. That's really sad and Maxis has again even mananged to disappoint the most advid, dedicated believer they have. Not a 'game changer' but just a player who is always happy about most content no matter what.

ETA: It's my opinion the only people who will watch this 'show' are those who care about things like status in gaming circles. Most Simmers who play to play and don't care about a 'status' will rarely, if ever watch it. I don't know what Maxis is trying to do, it's not build fun gameplay anymore is it.

I think of myself as an oprimistic player trying always to see the positives but with this... i can't. This is touching the bottom. As we say in my language (it may not make sense in english :) ) it's a shot in the side :lol:
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I feel for the gurus. They probably have tons of good ideas they want to implement but cant because they dont have enough budget. Who is to blame for the shortcomings of the game? Maxis, or EA?

The saddest thing I read today is where one of the advid Simmers (we all know them as such) who is always positive about content no matter which game and always posts what they want to see in a patch and or a pack for all the games when they are current, true believer, said something like 'this is for the gamechangers' that says a lot. Someone who is always positive almost all the time, saw this as being for the gamechangers so they were hoping for something in their wish list the next time....think about that frame of mind. An extremely dedicated Simmer who rarely has any complaint about anything, not in TS2, or TS3 or TS4, looked at this and said it was for gamechangers. That's really sad and Maxis has again even mananged to disappoint the most advid, dedicated believer they have. Not a 'game changer' but just a player who is always happy about most content no matter what.

I think of myself as an oprimistic player trying always to see the positives but with this... i can't. This is touching the bottom. As we say in my language (it may not make sense in english :) ) it's a shot in the side :lol:

I think its ok if they wanted to do something for the gamechangers there players to
    I don't think everything should be for them far from it but there simmers also
    I would want you guys to be happy to
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

I think its ok if they wanted to do something for the gamechangers there players to

The GameChangers are simply doing this to get more publicity and money for their channels by being on TV. EA is doing this so the GameChangers bring over audience to watch the show so they can make money. It's just a business move. They could have let talented simmers take part but they decided to only allow the VIPs to be on it.
    What do you mean do something for the GameChangers too? When was the last time EA offered you free packs, a career and 100k Dollars?.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Mareah wrote: »
    I feel for the gurus. They probably have tons of good ideas they want to implement but cant because they dont have enough budget. Who is to blame for the shortcomings of the game? Maxis, or EA?

Maxis. Look at it this way. EA gives the budget. The GM decides how it's spent. No one over at EA headquarters told Maxis to build a talking toilet. Nor to hire more producers than developers. Nor did EA tell Maxis to reuse assets over and over and bore their customers to tears. Nor to build an EP about IL or MFP stuff pack. Nor to design EL so that even if a player does nothing their worlds go back to neutral when they wanted to either keep it clean or dirty. Everyone wants to blame EA, but Maxis has complete control of what they do.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020

They are players, too, because Maxis gives them a free pack. Early access. Do you think some of them would actually buy all the packs (including seventeen stuff packs) if they were not given them for free? Their channels are monetized meaning every time you click on it, it's kaching for them. If I could sit and make money for just yaking all day, I would be willing to gush about something I think was horrible and you know what I wouldn't be passive aggressive about it, such as saying 'don't get me wrong, I love TS4' lol that's so passive aggressive it's hardly worth tuning in to watch the complaint that follows. Because they all apologize for being right about a pack that is borked and or a feature that is lame but first have to say I love TS4..but...why not just say it, and stop the groveling first.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member

Maxis. Look at it this way. EA gives the budget. The GM decides how it's spent. No one over at EA headquarters told Maxis to build a talking toilet. Nor to hire more producers than developers. Nor did EA tell Maxis to reuse assets over and over and bore their customers to tears. Nor to build an EP about IL or MFP stuff pack. Nor to design EL so that even if a player does nothing their worlds go back to neutral when they wanted to either keep it clean or dirty. Everyone wants to blame EA, but Maxis has complete control of what they do.

Do they? Not kickin' yer bucket, just wondering. Sadly, we don't have numbers to tell.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member

Do they? Not kickin' yer bucket, just wondering. Sadly, we don't have numbers to tell.

EA likes to be a hands off company. The most they ever do to get involved in the development of a game is to bark orders like "We need more microtransactions!" or "You should cut some corners to make this cheaper so we can make a bigger profit." or my favorite that has screwed over 98% of EA's games "Hey you know how you said you needed at least 2 years to finish this game? You have less than a year."
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    Ever heard of the saying, "You can't fill a bucket with water if you have a hole at the bottom?"

You dump new customers in while bleeding older customers...then what do you have?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    edited July 2020
    Electronic Arts, generated net revenue of 5.54 billion U.S. dollars in in 2020
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I like the sims4 still a lot as well, and I would not say that the Franchise is dead but I don't really feel like the target demographic in their marketing sometimes.

I have also played the game since release, so a TV show about a 6 year old game feels to me like a TV show which features news from 6 years ago.

You don't feel like the target demographic. I'm 65 years old. For a certainty, they're not even looking at me. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited July 2020

They are players, too, because Maxis gives them a free pack. Early access. Do you think some of them would actually buy all the packs (including seventeen stuff packs) if they were not given them for free? Their channels are monetized meaning every time you click on it, it's kaching for them. If I could sit and make money for just yaking all day, I would be willing to gush about something I think was horrible and you know what I wouldn't be passive aggressive about it, such as saying 'don't get me wrong, I love TS4' lol that's so passive aggressive it's hardly worth tuning in to watch the complaint that follows. Because they all apologize for being right about a pack that is borked and or a feature that is lame but first have to say I love TS4..but...why not just say it, and stop the groveling first.

I don't like there videos ether and there are times I don't think there being honest
    but they play the game thats makes them simmers whether they bought the stuff or not
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I never believed that EA has ever been hurting with money especially when it comes to the Sims and EA Sports games. With SimCity well they should have listened to their customers. It was just a marketing ploy to get sales and well it worked.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Animations are more like outdated to what games can do now of days with motion capture:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAZ5Cw84yDY
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    Electronic Arts, generated net revenue of 5.54 billion U.S. dollars in in 2020

And most of that was from its sports franchises... NHL, Madden...etc. When you get people who will watch sports...and buy every single game every year it comes out...no matter how little the improvements in the game. what would you expect?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Priorties are clearly messed up. People are still asking for ea to fix the messed up splotchy skins and what you know, a modder has already done the work for them. apparently eco lifestyle has broken some peoples game?
    giphy.gif

• cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    On the bright side, maybe if more people do buy this game as a result of the show, maybe it will give more incentive, and with more people playing, thus finding the bugs, maybe put more pressure to try to fix them before the game launches; as opposed to fixes spread across multiple patches, while some go unfixed period.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »
    On the bright side, maybe if more people do buy this game as a result of the show, maybe it will give more incentive, and with more people playing, thus finding the bugs, maybe put more pressure to try to fix them before the game launches; as opposed to fixes spread across multiple patches, while some go unfixed period.

@cody6268 Yeah but why not do that now already?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Compared to the small Paralives teams with lower budget already done , EA takes the gurus for fools, they should do something for being recognized by this compagny of leave it. They do despite of all critics a very good job since 2 decades, because working on a game such life simulation is kinda hard.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)