Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on The Sims Spark'd...

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    A reality show for the Sims just screams of how desperate EA is for money and new customers.

I understand that the money for this show was never intended for the game, but why didn't EA use these funds towards the development of the game? Their development team clearly isn't given enough money, with the amount of bugs the game currently has. Even if the amount was small, it could have gone towards bunk beds, which the Sims Mobile has, or to fixing the bugs from Eco Lifestyle. It seems like EA has it's priorities skewed. They'll probably run the Sims into the ground with their bad money management.
    I am not blaming Maxis or the Gurus, I am squarely blaming EA for prioritizing selling the game rather than fixing it.

The show looks cringy and cheesy. I don't think it will be successful at all on TBS. It may be successful on Buzzfeed Multiplayer. I don't like the Competitive angle that EA is going for. The Sims is not about competition and never has been. Please, stop trying to make The Sims into the next Fortnite.

I am also a bit disappointed in some of the GC's who are starring in this. I understand the financial incentive is attractive. One of them in particular is very anti capitalist, and I can't help but think this person is being a bit hypocritical for starring on this show.

I think this is the wrong direction for the Sims to go, and I don't think this will be a one off thing either. I think EA will continue to do stuff like this until they can change the nature of the Sims entirely to a competitive game rather than a simulation.

And that's my TED talk :D:D

I don't think it's desperation. I think it's just a new direction that suits Sims 4 because, let's be honest, Sims 4 doesn't have the gameplay that previous games had. That's why they had to change how they market The Sims, especially when they decided to cater to newer players since many core Simmers have been consistently unhappy. I've noticed that they've made TS4 more about representation, inclusivity and "telling stories", and abandoned the "play your way" and "you rule" slogans of games past. A lot of younger people use Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, and other media instead of these forums so what we see here is kind of the "old crowd" who gets taken for granted a lot and put on the wayside.

I'm also figuring that Sims 5 is most likely still in early stages of production, so in order to carry TS4 for a few more years, they're being a little creative with connecting new ideas to the game to keep refreshing it, since it's going to last longer than past games. So...love it or hate it, we're probably going to see some weird stuff in the future. Personally, I'd rather they put that brain power, effort, and financial backing into improving the gameplay of TS4. But doing that might prove too tricky or risky for a six year old game by now. Alas. :/

I couldn't agree more. I wish they could spend more time improving the gameplay of the sims4.

I don't doubt that this TV show might draw in new players to play the sims4, but as someone who watches other games on twitch, peoples reaction to the sims4 are often usually complaining about the lack of gameplay and the large amount of DLC because they compare the sims4 to other games that they play that cost less and gives them way more entertainment.

I watched EA Play with Dropped Frames, a bunch of people who do podcasts on video games and their reaction to the sims trailer was that they could not help but notice how EA really tries to send this new message along with them trying to sell as much DLC as they can to as many people as possible.

So I really wonder if this new direction is working. Peoples reaction on Twitter and Youtube are not very positive either.
  • marksgirl2006marksgirl2006 Posts: 87 Member
    Not the least bit interested.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Its a joke, and id be a clown to watch it

More like the whole circus. ;)

It's a PR stunt. A recorded, simulated simulated reality to present to the target group somebody figured out. Probably could push popularity under current circumstances. Anybody still knows tv ads for toys from the '80s?
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I see it as a waste of resources. It is promoting a subpar quality of a product. It will most likely not last very long.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Meh, not something I'll bother with but its existence isn't going to cause me any discomfort i mean it will literally not effect my world in any way.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Looking forward to it. Not sure who I'll be rooting for yet.
  • iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    It’s a waste of resources and a distraction away from repairing the game. This game needs to be repaired so bad. Especially on the console. What’s the point of this show? More pointless cringe marketing for a game that has many broken gameplay elements? Since when can Sims be a show?
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • vivica86vivica86 Posts: 231 Member
    Doesn't interest me in the slightest.
    Let me take you down, cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields... <3
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    A reality show for the Sims just screams of how desperate EA is for money and new customers.

I understand that the money for this show was never intended for the game, but why didn't EA use these funds towards the development of the game? Their development team clearly isn't given enough money, with the amount of bugs the game currently has. Even if the amount was small, it could have gone towards bunk beds, which the Sims Mobile has, or to fixing the bugs from Eco Lifestyle. It seems like EA has it's priorities skewed. They'll probably run the Sims into the ground with their bad money management.
    I am not blaming Maxis or the Gurus, I am squarely blaming EA for prioritizing selling the game rather than fixing it.

The show looks cringy and cheesy. I don't think it will be successful at all on TBS. It may be successful on Buzzfeed Multiplayer. I don't like the Competitive angle that EA is going for. The Sims is not about competition and never has been. Please, stop trying to make The Sims into the next Fortnite.

I am also a bit disappointed in some of the GC's who are starring in this. I understand the financial incentive is attractive. One of them in particular is very anti capitalist, and I can't help but think this person is being a bit hypocritical for starring on this show.

I think this is the wrong direction for the Sims to go, and I don't think this will be a one off thing either. I think EA will continue to do stuff like this until they can change the nature of the Sims entirely to a competitive game rather than a simulation.

And that's my TED talk :D:D

And what a ted talk :) i agree on everything.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    This is a surprising development.

I don't watch gamechangers on YouTube, so I won't watch them on TV either, especially since I don't have TV. I particularly dislike reality shows too, so there is zero chance I'll be watching this. But I'm sure I'm not exactly the target audience. For those of you who are the target audience, I'm glad it's something you'll enjoy. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    I really enjoy some reality TV programs. Mostly cooking, decorating, and home renovations. Food Network Challenge was one of my favorites. Awesome cake decorators. I also like Top Chef and Chopped. And Sara Richardson, a Canadian designer, had some of the most wonderful home design shows. I liked to watch to get ideas for decorating my sim homes.

I don't watch sim videos simply because I'd rather spend that time playing. But this is a first in the history of the Sims franchise and I'll definitely be tuning in.
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Not my thing, but maybe because I'm more for homemade like 8-Bit Dylan's Drag Queen Survivor. Buzzfeed is just a bit too 'trendy' for me...and yes I know that makes me sound like a huge hipster.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I question who the target demographic for this is?
    The overall consensus appears to be quite negative to complete indifference, not just on the forums, but on Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, and other websites.
    There are some people on here who are interested in it, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's definitely not a big percentage.
    It may be financially viable, but is it worth the overall negative opinions it's garnering?
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I'm a gamer. I don't watch TV. I'll probably be playing Guild Wars 2 and still feeling salty that Sims Mobile got bunk beds and we didn't.

Wake me up when the knitting pack drops.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2020
    Honestly, it's a perfect scam: show people playing Sims 4 and make it look good. People buy the game, realize it's not satisfying and start buying more DLC in a vain attempt to fill in the gaps. Fans can either stick with the game because of the sunken cost fallacy, stay with the franchise out of some some sense of loyalty, or just walk on and make room for the next group of gullible people. Or maybe they can genuinely like what they get and are satisfied, or think that things will get better. But no matter what, the end result is the same: established fans don't need to be satisfied because new ones will replace them. Pokemon's been pulling this scam for years, and they've gotten even more lazy and greedy lately.

And yes, I know there are people who actually like Sims 4 and enjoy playing it. Despite my insults, I'm one of them. But you get what I mean, right? It's all about milking those teenager fun bucks until they become the much less important peripheral audience
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2020
    Personally I think it is a marketing ploy to get the competitive spirit going for the MMO Sims 5, so I am not buying into it. I am happy to see some friends in it, but just confirms how much the Sims 4 targets towards the reality show genre with their game. I actually woke up today remembering the show is real and not a nightmare. It is like yibSims all over again. I just don't trust it.

For me Sims has always been a personal experience. I play it to escape the competition and selfishness and demand of money of this world. I'm an underdog and well seems like things like this are trying to push the reality show ideals onto people that American government also pushes and is kind of like putting salt onto a wound. It is not what the community needs right now. They need to come together not be pushed apart.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I'm not so sure what to think. It's kind of cheesy, but I can't say I'm surprised? It's Sims 4 after all. There are some of my favorite content creators involved (Simproved, I adore thee! Lionfish for the win! <3 ) so if they get a chance to win a bunch of money for their efforts in keeping Sim players engaged, what harm does it do? If anything, it will help to boost their channels because more players will see what they can do.

As for the Gallery, it's a little intriguing. I'm going to wait and see how it works before I cast judgement. I do like the concept of challenges for the fun of it, so I was hoping it was more of a tool for people to post them and participate. Unfortunately, it seems like its more geared for finding the next "contestants". But I would imagine there's an "opt out" for those who don't want to be on the show. I'd like to join in the fun of some of the challenges myself. :)
    I adore her too. She is super sweet. I talk to her a bit on Twitch. I have been following DrGluon for forever too since before he got Twitch partnered. I never heard of simlicy, littlesiha, or Doctor_Ashley. Everyone else I have either used their mods, interacted with them on Twitch, or watched their streams. SimGuruNinja is really nice too and has the best streaming background at his home. They are all very creative and top of their game people with content. I know I don't want to be on the show myself. I am a horrible actress, but would be fun to submit a challenge I created with my Squirrel Sisters for the show for others to enjoy called the Broadway Legacy Challenge: https://broadwaylegacy.tumblr.com/post/176104780313/the-secret-squirrel-society-is-proud-to-announce#notes

I had a lot of fun making the challenge and made wonderful friends during it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I wouldn't like the focus of the Sims to become so competitive. If it's just a side-project then fine but if it is a sign of things to come then I worry about the game's future

I completely agree. One of the main reasons why I enjoy sims over other games is the fact that this game is more about creativity than competition. Even if I play a challenge, it is just for fun and not a competition. I don't mind a side project as long as it doesn't stop people from telling their own stories I hope this will not be the main focus for the future of the sims franchise.
  • RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    The only way I'd consider watching it is if someone like Call Me Kevin was one of the contestants.
    iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Ripleyrawr wrote: »
    The only way I'd consider watching it is if someone like Call Me Kevin was one of the contestants.

agreed
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Meh. I'm indifferent, people are acting like this is "taking time away from actual development" but the sims team are game developers not TV show producers. They would've had a completely separate team film and make this, and it would've been filmed atleast 4 months ago.

Biggest pet peeve is that the people involved are largely big YouTubers, who make tons of money anyways. They don't need the $100k prize. Would've been better if it was every day players rather than using well known faces in the sims community to draw publicity to it. I don't really care either way, I'll give it a watch but I'm not that bothered.
  • lovelyskysxlovelyskysx Posts: 93 Member
    I don't care for it. At all.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    It would be better if the challenge they give the contestants is to give ideas on what new content will make the game better. And then they make new animations for those things.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Ive noticed that reality shows that focus on nerdy past times tend to have 3 things in common.
    1) Its a total cringe fest.
    2) Showcases the community behind it as total weirdos.
    3) Barely sees a 2nd season.

I enjoy reality shows, but I on pure principle avoid the ones that directly tie to my interests. Id much rather just watch folks on youtube than corporate tv with no genuine interest try to appear hip and cool. And besides, this is just something to put on tv while we wait for fall premiers.