❄️ Get ready for the Snowy Escape Live Stream today! ❄️ Let's watch it together here.
October 23 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

The Sims 4 Spark'd? No thanks!!

Comments

  • GordyGordy Posts: 1,349 Member
    logion wrote: »
    And this is what the sims mobile posted soon after the TV Show Announcement.



    I am at a loss for words.
    I like how some of these items are styled after Tiny Living's stuff, or straight-up copied furniture from Tiny Living. The bunk bed looks like it would have been a perfect fit for Tiny Living.

    I don't know if that makes the situation better or worse tbh. But I know I'm disappointed.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 1,911 Member
    edited July 9

    Does anyone know if the Sims Mobile and The Sims 4 share character rigging or animations? Or are the characters built in a completely different way? I was wondering since Knox from EL apparently also shows up in TS Mobile. If the animations from mobile are sometimes translated to TS4 and vice versa, it could mean that they are at least working on bunk beds for the desktop version.

    In an ideal world character rigs and object meshes are being shared between TS4 & Mobile. This would be the most economic and clever way to do things since they both share the same visual art style. If not, I'm not sure which nincompoop is running the show.
    Working this way will save an incredible amount of money. TS3 uses a lot of TS2 animations and object meshes. Modelling and producing Quality Animations can be a very, expensive job. If it helps, this is coming from someone with experience in working for production houses.

    Also note that some Gameplay objects in The Sims Mobile may be omitted from TS4 on purpose-at least for a while-so that folks are encouraged to play the Sims Mobile and spend their money on micro transactions.
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    They constantly need to look for new blood, new generations of players who do not know their bad reputation. It's so backwards. I don’t understand how they think. Make good games, improve reputation and the buyers and the money will come by themselves. Fix the game, then have this show.
  • EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 237 Member
    edited July 9

    Does anyone know if the Sims Mobile and The Sims 4 share character rigging or animations? Or are the characters built in a completely different way? I was wondering since Knox from EL apparently also shows up in TS Mobile. If the animations from mobile are sometimes translated to TS4 and vice versa, it could mean that they are at least working on bunk beds for the desktop version.

    In an ideal world character rigs and object meshes are being shared between TS4 & Mobile. This would be the most economic and clever way to do things since they both share the same visual art style. If not, I'm not sure which nincompoop is running the show.
    Working this way will save an incredible amount of money. TS3 uses a lot of TS2 animations and object meshes. Modelling and producing Quality Animations can be a very, expensive job. If it helps, this is coming from someone with experience in working for production houses.

    Also note that some Gameplay objects in The Sims Mobile may be omitted from TS4 on purpose-at least for a while-so that folks are encouraged to play the Sims Mobile and spend their money on micro transactions.

    Thanks for the info! Yes, it sounds like it would be a waste of money for create to make these bunk bed animations to only use them for Mobile. I guess we'll see when (if) they finally arrive in TS4..
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 1,606 Member
    edited July 9
    The Sims isnt a game to be competitive,multiplayer e-sport like theyre making it. If they had fun little challenges online with prizes that would be enough. But a reality competetion show? Of the SIMS? This feels like it should be on The Onion....

    And all of the storylines are gonna be 'inclusive' tumblr cringe sob stories, so boring.

    I wouldn't even care if TS4 wasnt so bad. At least release a good game then worry about a tv show. I know ultimately all EA cares about is making money, but this is pathetic
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. #FixThePersonalities

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Please bring it back.Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,588 Member
    logion wrote: »
    And this is what the sims mobile posted soon after the TV Show Announcement.



    I am at a loss for words.

    Well that pours salt on the wound. We have been asking for bunk beds for how long? It's probably the most requested piece of build/buy item left, and has been since before University, before Tiny Living.....ugh.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 6,265 Member
    logion wrote: »
    And this is what the sims mobile posted soon after the TV Show Announcement.



    I am at a loss for words.

    Hmm so does this mean the Tiny Living Stuff Pack was supposed to come with a bunkbed, but they decided to remove it? Hmm...
    Origin ID : ChazzzyGOAT
    Recommended Mods : http://chazzzygoat.tumblr.com
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    And this is what the sims mobile posted soon after the TV Show Announcement.



    I am at a loss for words.

    Hmm so does this mean the Tiny Living Stuff Pack was supposed to come with a bunkbed, but they decided to remove it? Hmm...

    Why release it with Tiny Living when you charge more for it in a new pack?
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 1,373 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    And this is what the sims mobile posted soon after the TV Show Announcement.



    I am at a loss for words.

    Hmm so does this mean the Tiny Living Stuff Pack was supposed to come with a bunkbed, but they decided to remove it? Hmm...

    I wouldn't be surprised. The design of the bunkbed looks very similar in style to Tiny Living. Suspicious ;)
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 385 Member
    edited July 9
    logion wrote: »
    And this is what the sims mobile posted soon after the TV Show Announcement.



    I am at a loss for words.

    Wha??? LOL

    Me too -- no words!



  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 209 Member
    They can barley get through a livestream without the limitations of the game showing on full blast. Unless the entries can use mods and cc missing features are gunna glare. I guess at least on television they can heavily edit and cherry pick to make everything look good.
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 935 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7

    thank you for that, that was reassuring!

    Yeah it's nice to know that the vast majority of the community feels the same way, and not just on here either. And it's like, it's not like EA being dumb and greedy is new knowledge, it hasn't stopped me from playing my favorite game before and it shouldn't now. But yeah, I do hope EA retains some sort of integrity of the soul of the franchise in the years to come.. but we'll see.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 348 Member
    edited July 9
    Cinebar wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    are u kidding me 100k for the winner without counting the budget used to prepare the contest, okay maxis u definitely ran out of excuses to explain why are the sims 4 so lame

    c'mon ea check your priorities

    Exactly, this is showing on NATIONAL TV on TBS, a popular station. How much do you think it costs to air this?

    Millions. One ad can cost millions. (Super Bowl) another 10-30 second spot can cost over $100,000. Think how much a thirty minute spot can cost per episode. Just for the air time. Then you need advertisers money to help pay for those spots. Advertisers pay a show (sponsor) to advertise during that show. It's why you see like fifteen ads per five minute time of show these days. It's very expensive. I guess that billion TS4 made is being well spent. ;)

    This isn’t an infomercial. EA isn’t paying for the airtime. TBS is airing this willingly as part of a negotiation with ELEAGUE in order to have something to air, and depending on the contract EA is likely making ad revenue from it.

    This isn’t Japan. Most stations pay the studios for the right to air content, not the other way around.
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 348 Member
    edited July 10
    Like, I’m not joking y’all. I wouldn’t be surprised if EA spend more money on instagram, YouTube, and Facebook ads tenfold or more than they did on this show. The rebranding likely cost them hundreds of times what this show is costing them. Their office parties cost more than this show is costing them. EAPlay each costs so much more than this show is costing them. Please. Please.

    I literally have a degree in TV production and finance. This cost them the change from their corporate couch and they think harder about what to budget for their lunch.

    You can hate the show’s premise. You can worry it implies they’re trying to substitute user-generated content for actual gameplay content going forward by focusing on competition. You can think it’s silly or cringe or whatever.

    But the budget argument? It’s baseless. It’s worse than baseless. It’s anti-correct. From a marketing budget and TV budget perspective, even if this is a flop, the money spent vs the return on investment is a home run. This is a financial gimme. There is no risk here whatsoever.
    Post edited by Ivyeyed on
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 348 Member
    What I’m more interested in is if they plan to use the show to hint at or announce any future packs/updates. The finale including a first-look trailer or something would make a lot of marketing sense.
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • logionlogion Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited July 9
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Like, I’m not joking y’all. I wouldn’t be surprised if EA spend more money on instagram, YouTube, and Facebook ads tenfold or more than they did on this show. The rebranding likely cost them thousands of times what this show is costing them. Their office parties cost more than this show is costing them. EAPlay each costs so much more than this show is costing them. Please. Please.

    I literally have a degree in TV production and finance. This cost them the change from their corporate couch and they think harder about what to budget for their lunch.

    You can hate the show’s premise. You can worry it implies they’re trying to substitute user-generated content for actual gameplay content going forward by focusing on competition. You can think it’s silly or cringe or whatever.

    But the budget argument? It’s baseless. It’s worse than baseless. It’s anti-correct. From a marketing budget and TV budget perspective, even if this is a flop, the money spent vs the return on investment is a home run. This is a financial gimme. There is no risk here whatsoever.

    I am more disappointed that this is what we see from Maxis. Even if this TV show is more of collaboration that did not cost a lot of money, this is the message that they are pushing forward. And combine that with the bugs the game has and it feels like they are more interested in gathering new players than supporting the game. Even if this is not true and they are investing in the game, we do not see it because their marketing is not the least bit interested in showing it.

    I would rather that they do more things like SimGuruConor did who did great previews which showed what they were working on.
  • WispyeWispye Posts: 76 Member
    i can't wait to watch it
  • simsisterslaysimsisterslay Posts: 2 New Member
    I am interested to see it and what kind of challenges they have for players. I always welcome a fresh way to play the game.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 165 Member
    edited July 10
    Pay attention to what Ivyeyed is saying. I used to pay bills for a major company that wasn't nearly as big as EA. The monthly electric bill for only one of their office campuses was 400k, and that was some time ago. What they are throwing at this is petty cash, coffee change, a joke.

    It's so far out of the league they are trying to pretend it is, that it's really really crazy.
    It's risk free trolling for new blood, and that it.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 3,964 Member
    edited July 10
    logion wrote: »
    And this is what the sims mobile posted soon after the TV Show Announcement.



    I am at a loss for words.

    This feels just downright disrespectful. We have been asking for bunk beds for how long??
    Post edited by keekee53 on
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited July 10
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Like, I’m not joking y’all. I wouldn’t be surprised if EA spend more money on instagram, YouTube, and Facebook ads tenfold or more than they did on this show. The rebranding likely cost them hundreds of times what this show is costing them. Their office parties cost more than this show is costing them. EAPlay each costs so much more than this show is costing them. Please. Please.

    I literally have a degree in TV production and finance. This cost them the change from their corporate couch and they think harder about what to budget for their lunch.

    You can hate the show’s premise. You can worry it implies they’re trying to substitute user-generated content for actual gameplay content going forward by focusing on competition. You can think it’s silly or cringe or whatever.

    But the budget argument? It’s baseless. It’s worse than baseless. It’s anti-correct. From a marketing budget and TV budget perspective, even if this is a flop, the money spent vs the return on investment is a home run. This is a financial gimme. There is no risk here whatsoever.

    I'm glad you're an "expert" on TV finances and can enlighten us (sorry for the sarcasm but calling an argument "baseless" and "anti-correct" isn't exactly friendly)

    However, whether or not they are actually wasting money on this, this just isn't a good decision. The timing of this is terrible. The game is filled with bugs and the game still lacks a decent amount of content. And the fact that the majority of people are saying "it's a waste of money" is important. It means that the majority of simmers won't watch this. I've looked at Twitter, Youtube, the Sims forums, and other websites, and the overall opinion is negative. About 95% negative.

    With a negative perception from the fanbase, even if they do make money from, the quality of the Sims brand will be lowered. People will be less likely to take it seriously or buy their products. They won't trust Maxis. This would be especially bad for the next iteration of the Sims.

    Whether this is financially viable doesn't matter if it lowers people's opinion of the Sims brand. And from the majority of social media websites, it already has. This move by EA appears cheap and trite, and thus makes the Sims 4 look cheap and trite.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 3,964 Member
    This is why I am not on the Sims 5 bandwagon and why I have no faith in sims 5. I can see the pattern. Look at how much stuff sims mobile is getting vs sims 4. You better believe if there is an online element to sims5, you will see these high want items in the online version while the offliners will continue to be frustrated. There will have to be a reason to keep people online and they will dangle the carrots. Don’t be that donkey chasing the carrot.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 18,127 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Like, I’m not joking y’all. I wouldn’t be surprised if EA spend more money on instagram, YouTube, and Facebook ads tenfold or more than they did on this show. The rebranding likely cost them hundreds of times what this show is costing them. Their office parties cost more than this show is costing them. EAPlay each costs so much more than this show is costing them. Please. Please.

    I literally have a degree in TV production and finance. This cost them the change from their corporate couch and they think harder about what to budget for their lunch.

    You can hate the show’s premise. You can worry it implies they’re trying to substitute user-generated content for actual gameplay content going forward by focusing on competition. You can think it’s silly or cringe or whatever.

    But the budget argument? It’s baseless. It’s worse than baseless. It’s anti-correct. From a marketing budget and TV budget perspective, even if this is a flop, the money spent vs the return on investment is a home run. This is a financial gimme. There is no risk here whatsoever.

    I'm glad you're an "expert" on TV finances and can enlighten us (sorry for the sarcasm but calling an argument "baseless" and "anti-correct" isn't exactly friendly)

    However, whether or not they are actually wasting money on this, this just isn't a good decision. The timing of this is terrible. The game is filled with bugs and the game still lacks a decent amount of content. And the fact that the majority of people are saying "it's a waste of money" is important. It means that the majority of simmers won't watch this. I've looked at Twitter, Youtube, the Sims forums, and other websites, and the overall opinion is negative. About 95% negative.

    With a negative perception from the fanbase, even if they do make money from, the quality of the Sims brand will be lowered. People will be less likely to take it seriously or buy their products. They won't trust Maxis. This would be especially bad for the next iteration of the Sims.

    Whether this is financially viable doesn't matter if it lowers people's opinion of the Sims brand. And from the majority of social media websites, it already has. This move by EA appears cheap and trite, and thus makes the Sims 4 look cheap and trite.

    What matters is if people continue to purchase future content. No matter how some view this new venture, come the next pack release it will be business as usual.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 348 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Like, I’m not joking y’all. I wouldn’t be surprised if EA spend more money on instagram, YouTube, and Facebook ads tenfold or more than they did on this show. The rebranding likely cost them hundreds of times what this show is costing them. Their office parties cost more than this show is costing them. EAPlay each costs so much more than this show is costing them. Please. Please.

    I literally have a degree in TV production and finance. This cost them the change from their corporate couch and they think harder about what to budget for their lunch.

    You can hate the show’s premise. You can worry it implies they’re trying to substitute user-generated content for actual gameplay content going forward by focusing on competition. You can think it’s silly or cringe or whatever.

    But the budget argument? It’s baseless. It’s worse than baseless. It’s anti-correct. From a marketing budget and TV budget perspective, even if this is a flop, the money spent vs the return on investment is a home run. This is a financial gimme. There is no risk here whatsoever.

    I'm glad you're an "expert" on TV finances and can enlighten us (sorry for the sarcasm but calling an argument "baseless" and "anti-correct" isn't exactly friendly)

    Sorry. I wasn’t saying anything about any person. Just facts. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings.

    It’s just like, um, okay

    Imagine you live in a neighborhood and the neighborhood council imports a big old oak tree and sticks it in the public area along the road. And then you see a notice: “Should we get rid of the tree? Come to our meeting” and decide to go.

    There might be good reasons for people not to like this tree. Maybe oak trees aren’t indigenous to the region. Maybe it blocks everyone’s lovely view of the lake and they bought their houses for that view. Maybe it presents a safety hazard because it could topple due to the soil or wind and crash into someone’s house. Maybe it keeps dropping acorns in your yard and you have to waste time every day clearing them. In fact many people at the meeting are bringing up these really good points.

    But most the people on the meeting are focusing on air. They’re all saying “A big tree like that is going to need so much air! How will the rest of us breathe? We have an air quality problem here and the tree is going to make it worse!”

    But you’re a botanist and you know that’s not how trees work.

    It’s not insulting those people to tell them, even bluntly, that that’s not true. Calling it “baseless” and “anti-correct” would just be facts. Trees generate air, not take it away. That’s facts.

    I’m just stating facts. I don’t blame anyone for not knowing these things. They’re often really layered and complicated. How TV makes money is very different from how you might think. But, I do actually happen to know these things. Worked on some shows. Had a job that was basically being a matchmaker for brands and TV/movies. I used to even take a class where every week at the end we’d watch something and then have to guess 1) the budget and 2) where we think the bulk of the money came from and we’d get rewarded with set time on a professor’s show (most our teachers for this accredited degree were also working in the industry, and this teacher in particular was very prolific and was just then line producing a sitcom that would go on to make her a LOT of money).

    Anyway, this show cost basically nothing to make and I doubt EA even put up the bulk of it. I’m not saying that to be mean. I’m saying it because it’s something I know about. It’s okay if you don’t know about it. You didn’t waste your money on a degree you can only put into practice by selling your soul like I did and end up a jobless chump, lol. Take solace in that, because all I have is being right about something pointless on a forum on the internet, lololol.
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited July 10
    What matters is if people continue to purchase future content. No matter how some view this new venture, come the next pack release it will be business as usual.

    While I understand that's their intent, I don't really approve of how their going about it. I'm sure some people will enjoy the show. Every company needs to make money, but it's how they go about it that makes a difference. In my opinion, the timing of this whole thing was bad, and I'm personally not sold on the idea of a The Sims reality show, and it appears some other people aren't sold on it either.
    I also think if a company makes enough mistakes that effect a customers' opinions of the brand, down the line it will be a problem. For instance, when they're trying to sell the Sims 5, I don't think people will take it with open arms.
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Anyway, this show cost basically nothing to make and I doubt EA even put up the bulk of it. I’m not saying that to be mean. I’m saying it because it’s something I know about. It’s okay if you don’t know about it. You didn’t waste your money on a degree you can only put into practice by selling your soul like I did and end up a jobless chump, lol. Take solace in that, because all I have is being right about something pointless on a forum on the internet, lololol.

    Well thank you for sharing your knowledge on the subject. I can understand your point that EA may have not have spent much money on this, in comparison to how much they'll get in immediate financial gain.
    I still think it's a bad idea, and it will negatively impact their brand in the future. It may give them immediate sales, but it won't give them long term fans.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top