Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on The Sims Spark'd...

sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
Curious to hear everyone's opinions on The Sims Spark'd reality TV show.

I personally think it's a complete waste of money and resources. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the development of the game but I would have liked to see all that energy put into the game itself. There are so many things the Sims community has been asking for whether it be new content ideas or fixes to game breaking bugs and issues. As far as I know, no one asked for a reality TV show.

Comments

• troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @sims2freak737 why can't they create a game and a TV show?

You don't have to watch it. You don't know who is funding the TV show or whether it detracts from the development budget. Nor do you know if it pulled away from the "energy" to develop the game.

I for one am always interested in when company's do different things with their brands. You might not want, have asked for nor care for the reality show - but there will definitely be an audience out there who will watch it.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • MelsieYTMelsieYT Posts: 289 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm... indifferent? If people like it, cool.

I only know one YouTuber from the lineup and I don't even watch all of their content. I don't follow a ton of "popular" simmers on YouTube to begin with though. 90% of the ones I enjoy have less than 10,000 subs and wouldn't be the "type" EA would go after to market their game.

It's new and exciting. It's something I've never seen done before, and maybe it'll be decent! From the trailer though, I feel like it might be a bit sensationalized and overly-acted, but I've been wrong about that sort of thing before. I don't know. I guess I'll let people be the judge once the show starts airing. I have zero interest in reality TV / competitions so I won't personally be watching it.

I've seen a lot of people saying EA could've done a lot more for the loyal fans with all of the resources they put into producing a reality show, but they're a multi billion dollar company... It's not the money or employees they invested into a game show that's bottle-necking them.

I guess we'll have to wait on better babies and less glitches. LOL

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I absolutely love Sims and will still spend entire days playing (heavily modded, but that's besides the point). I can be a huge fan and still have issues with the game and/or the company.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited July 2020
    From what I can tell, EA's portion of the cost for this show is pretty minimal, as it's one of I want to say 4 companies involved. And it was filmed in late 2019 (per Dr. Gluon, one of the contestants who made sure he was clear to say that much.) So the show really has negligible impact on the development of the game and attention to bugs. Especially for anything probably since University.

But no. No one asked for this. But just because no one asked for it doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

I mean, it's a show about a game I like featuring people whose on-line personas I like. As long as they edit it more like Chopped/Lego Masters -where the drama comes from the restraints on the challenge and things just going wrong - and not like the first season of Face/Off or second season of Top Chef - where the drama came from people edited to look like villains - It could be entertaining.
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I think it looks fun. I'm probably gonna be watching it at least for a little bit
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2020
    I don’t have cable and I don’t live in America anymore and I don’t watch any of the GameChangers except for rare occasions. So I nothing this. I just hope it doesn’t become a game pack.

I can’t help but feel very cynical about the gallery addition, because it will probably be based on votes so only big members will get any traction.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I'm not so sure what to think. It's kind of cheesy, but I can't say I'm surprised? It's Sims 4 after all. There are some of my favorite content creators involved (Simproved, I adore thee! Lionfish for the win! <3 ) so if they get a chance to win a bunch of money for their efforts in keeping Sim players engaged, what harm does it do? If anything, it will help to boost their channels because more players will see what they can do.

As for the Gallery, it's a little intriguing. I'm going to wait and see how it works before I cast judgement. I do like the concept of challenges for the fun of it, so I was hoping it was more of a tool for people to post them and participate. Unfortunately, it seems like its more geared for finding the next "contestants". But I would imagine there's an "opt out" for those who don't want to be on the show. I'd like to join in the fun of some of the challenges myself. :)
    #Team Occult
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    It might be geared towards contestants at first, but it could be adapted later for future challenges. It might end up a good place to showcase newer creative talent.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    Very disappointed, what were they thinking? :( Big hard no for me.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    This show is weak sauce
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Its a joke, and id be a clown to watch it

I’m stealing this! Omg 🤣
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I might tune in if I get a chance -- original showing is on fairly late, and the repeat on Saturday cuts into my leisure time. I'll give it a chance.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's not really my kind of thing but I'm interested to support my favourite sims youTuber urbansims who is taking part in it.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Its not my thing for sure, but I'm glad they've decided to do something like this for the people who'll enjoy it. I do tend to prefer game content over spin-off projects but I very seriously doubt that the team working on the game is the same team that's working on Spark'd. There's no reason that both can't be enjoyed by those who wish to do so. GL to the people participating and have fun to those who'll watch :D
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Don't give us a patch where you gave up on adding an item slot to a lamp in Tiny Living and just renamed the description and called it a day and then announce a TV show where you can win $100,000.

I had this exact thought on the update! haha Why go through the trouble of changing the name instead of just adding a slot to make it function the way it should. Especially given that it was released with Tiny Living and the entire pack is dedicated to space saving objects!
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Don't give us a patch where you gave up on adding an item slot to a lamp in Tiny Living and just renamed the description and called it a day and then announce a TV show where you can win $100,000.

I had this exact thought on the update! haha Why go through the trouble of changing the name instead of just adding a slot to make it function the way it should. Especially given that it was released with Tiny Living and the entire pack is dedicated to space saving objects!

Most likely would be too much work for them. :/
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    It shouldn’t surprise anyone marketing is more important than the actual content in most field of work....
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    A reality show for the Sims just screams of how desperate EA is for money and new customers.

I understand that the money for this show was never intended for the game, but why didn't EA use these funds towards the development of the game? Their development team clearly isn't given enough money, with the amount of bugs the game currently has. Even if the amount was small, it could have gone towards bunk beds, which the Sims Mobile has, or to fixing the bugs from Eco Lifestyle. It seems like EA has it's priorities skewed. They'll probably run the Sims into the ground with their bad money management.
    I am not blaming Maxis or the Gurus, I am squarely blaming EA for prioritizing selling the game rather than fixing it.

The show looks cringy and cheesy. I don't think it will be successful at all on TBS. It may be successful on Buzzfeed Multiplayer. I don't like the Competitive angle that EA is going for. The Sims is not about competition and never has been. Please, stop trying to make The Sims into the next Fortnite.

I am also a bit disappointed in some of the GC's who are starring in this. I understand the financial incentive is attractive. One of them in particular is very anti capitalist, and I can't help but think this person is being a bit hypocritical for starring on this show.

I think this is the wrong direction for the Sims to go, and I don't think this will be a one off thing either. I think EA will continue to do stuff like this until they can change the nature of the Sims entirely to a competitive game rather than a simulation.

And that's my TED talk :D:D
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    In the most grave Mon Mothma voice: "Many brain cells died watching this Sims Spark'd trailer" was all I could think after watching it. What the dumpster woohoo EA?
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    No idea what this is, googled it and wish I hadn't...... ignorance is bliss
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Don't really care one way or the other about it. Not gonna watch it as it doesn't really interest me.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited July 2020
    Not sure how interesting watching other people playing Sims would be, but I'll give it a chance and see.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    A reality show for the Sims just screams of how desperate EA is for money and new customers.

I understand that the money for this show was never intended for the game, but why didn't EA use these funds towards the development of the game? Their development team clearly isn't given enough money, with the amount of bugs the game currently has. Even if the amount was small, it could have gone towards bunk beds, which the Sims Mobile has, or to fixing the bugs from Eco Lifestyle. It seems like EA has it's priorities skewed. They'll probably run the Sims into the ground with their bad money management.
    I am not blaming Maxis or the Gurus, I am squarely blaming EA for prioritizing selling the game rather than fixing it.

The show looks cringy and cheesy. I don't think it will be successful at all on TBS. It may be successful on Buzzfeed Multiplayer. I don't like the Competitive angle that EA is going for. The Sims is not about competition and never has been. Please, stop trying to make The Sims into the next Fortnite.

I am also a bit disappointed in some of the GC's who are starring in this. I understand the financial incentive is attractive. One of them in particular is very anti capitalist, and I can't help but think this person is being a bit hypocritical for starring on this show.

I think this is the wrong direction for the Sims to go, and I don't think this will be a one off thing either. I think EA will continue to do stuff like this until they can change the nature of the Sims entirely to a competitive game rather than a simulation.

And that's my TED talk :D:D

I don't think it's desperation. I think it's just a new direction that suits Sims 4 because, let's be honest, Sims 4 doesn't have the gameplay that previous games had. That's why they had to change how they market The Sims, especially when they decided to cater to newer players since many core Simmers have been consistently unhappy. I've noticed that they've made TS4 more about representation, inclusivity and "telling stories", and abandoned the "play your way" and "you rule" slogans of games past. A lot of younger people use Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, and other media instead of these forums so what we see here is kind of the "old crowd" who gets taken for granted a lot and put on the wayside.

I'm also figuring that Sims 5 is most likely still in early stages of production, so in order to carry TS4 for a few more years, they're being a little creative with connecting new ideas to the game to keep refreshing it, since it's going to last longer than past games. So...love it or hate it, we're probably going to see some weird stuff in the future. Personally, I'd rather they put that brain power, effort, and financial backing into improving the gameplay of TS4. But doing that might prove too tricky or risky for a six year old game by now. Alas. :/
    #Team Occult
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I wouldn't like the focus of the Sims to become so competitive. If it's just a side-project then fine but if it is a sign of things to come then I worry about the game's future
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?