Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Spark'd - Coming July 17th!

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Denimjo wrote: »
    Do we have confirmation that someone will actually win $100,000, or do they just get a chance to win it?

It says in the trailer that there is a wining team and a team that goes home. All participants had a chance.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It would have been nice had they used the smaller game changers, not just their favourites.
  • J_Lanz16J_Lanz16 Posts: 6 New Member
    I've seen the trailer and the participants, this is gonna be interesting and definately gonna watch this!
    And also, Im rooting for plumbellayt as she is my favorite of the Simmers out there, Im familiar with some but the rest... lets see

I wish they can make another season for the small-time CC Creators or Simmers, not just big-timers that we all know
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I'm all for competitions, but sadly it'll probably just be the same few people who are amazing builders that win every time, average players don't stand a chance :s
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    It would have been nice had they used the smaller game changers, not just their favourites.

I imagine they wanted to roll out with the big guns and if successful then subsequent seasons will feature smaller game changers and simmers from the community.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Well, at least Andrew Wilson got his ideas of The Sims is about competition comfirmed. I guess his wish list has come true.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2020
    KojiK wrote: »
    This looks like so much fun! Cant wait to watch it. And by the way most Game Changers dont make lots of money

They definitely do, for example Lilsimsie and Plumbella both recently graduated college and they already have their own house and were able to donate $2000+ as a starter in their charity streams. Youtube is big money.

1m Youtube views equals around $2000, these youtubers post daily and get 200k+ per video so they reach 1m views and get $2000 every single week.

Lilsimsie has 196m Youtube views in total so that means she's earned around $392,000 at the age of 20 just from YouTube.
  • GitaGita Posts: 108 Member
    I don't like this at all, but my compliments to the marketing team. It's just a way to sell the game, isn't it?
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    Gita wrote: »
    I don't like this at all, but my compliments to the marketing team. It's just a way to sell the game, isn't it?

Sure it is. A way to entice even more people to buy a broken game full of bugs.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Gita wrote: »

Yeah, apart from the gallery update, this does not improve the sims4 in any way.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I have mixed feelings about this. I'm happy to see Plumbella, Urban, and Molly on the show living their best lives. However, it's taking time away from better game development, and we'll probably have to wait a while to get a pack that's actually good (Eco Lifestyle didn't impress me much). But also, maybe the Sims team will make enough money from this to be able to afford a big free update without having it be an update that has to go alongside an EP (like better babies).

I don't know if I'll personally watch this show all the way through, I don't really like game/competition shows, but I will give it a try since it's including some game changers that I love. I also like that this will make the Sims franchise more mainstream. It'd be nice for this game to get popular enough for me to be able to say "I'm playing Sims" and not have people assume I'm playing one of those anime dating simulators with adult content. >.>;
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Just wait and see if people turn an meant-to-be-fun community competition promo show into something toxic, because their favorite yt simmers didn't win the 100k bucks.

With the rest i'll hold back on my opinion until i see how the whole gallery thing really works.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about this. I'm happy to see Plumbella, Urban, and Molly on the show living their best lives. However, it's taking time away from better game development, and we'll probably have to wait a while to get a pack that's actually good (Eco Lifestyle didn't impress me much). But also, maybe the Sims team will make enough money from this to be able to afford a big free update without having it be an update that has to go alongside an EP (like better babies).

I don't know if I'll personally watch this show all the way through, I don't really like game/competition shows, but I will give it a try since it's including some game changers that I love. I also like that this will make the Sims franchise more mainstream. It'd be nice for this game to get popular enough for me to be able to say "I'm playing Sims" and not have people assume I'm playing one of those anime dating simulators with adult content. >.>;

Just think, these game changers can probably be discovered now for other game shows where they may be invited to participate and make even more money since their faces will be out there on TV now. As long as they make the right faces, the right grunts, the right reactions there might be other game shows that want them on their shows. Like a stepping stone into game show stardom. One of them may be hosting the Price is Right one day. Or Family Feud. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I'm trying to be less negative here, but no, just no. There's enough boring video game shows on TV already that, to me, make no sense. Between the prize money and what part of production costs EA/Maxis had probably paid, I am sure TS4 (or even its sucessor) could've been turned around 180". Instead, we get an expensive publicity stunt.

• ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    When I first saw the notification for this yesterday I thought it was the introduction of the dangerous stuff SP.

I... don't understand. I mean, I understand it's a reality show, 100k grand prize, but why? I feel like the 100k and the costs to make this could've been better spent on something like the actual game itself.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    So the next GP theme is about reality tv...

Don't think so.

He was joking. R/woosh anyone?
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    edited July 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'm all for competitions, but sadly it'll probably just be the same few people who are amazing builders that win every time, average players don't stand a chance :s

I am not sure if you meant an average player who does have talent but is not well-known like some of the game changers or popular gallery submitters. Typically a competitive reality show will cast some with great talent but you will see a few who do not possess the same amount of skills but personality-wise bring it for drama or laughs (like Wendy from season 1 of Project Runway).

With this show I assume everyone will be good, it is a marketing tool and they want potential players to see the game at its best. Yes, the gameplay is shallow and we do not have bunkbeds however for people who like to be creative by building or telling stories this game still provides quite a bit of fun. It will be interesting see what the competitors will do without mods, one of the contestants Xmiraxmira uses lots of alpha content and mods in her gameplay.

ETA: I keep seeing this perception that game changers are raking in big money. There are exceptions like lilsimsie but I believe most of them again make enough to get by or live comfortably. Some like Andrew Arcade keep their day jobs. Like stilljustme2 I have followed some streamers and have seen the struggle.

Post edited by Pickledtiara on
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I hate this...sorry I really do. How about take that 100K do something with the game to make it more interesting.

If it is the game changers that are the first to participate, the idea goes downhill even more. Are they not making enough money from youtube and getting all games for free?? How about picking people who are struggling financially. There is nothing "sparking" me to watch. Good Luck.

SIms5....getting an idea how that is going to be.

I doubt that EA is putting up the full $100K -- probably part from TBS (network) and Buzzfeed (who'll be carrying the re-airing), plus some from assorted sponsors. And likely EA's portion comes from the marketing budget so wouldn't be used for in-game content anyway.

Most Twitch streamers/YouTube creators don't make a lot of money. Think of all the people that watch but never contribute a dime...and it's a long slog to get any sort of partnership deal with either platform. (One streamer I watch actually cried when he got the email from Twitch telling him he was partnered.) And with the economy tanking thanks to the virus, a lot of people are cutting back on discretionary spending such as subscriptions and donations. Yes, GCers get the games for free, but again that's likely a marketing decision; when they make a video or stream the game while featuring new content, it's basically advertising the new DLC.

As for how they chose the first participants, they had to go with already known folks: players who were already comfortable being on camera, as well as people who signed and could follow an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). They didn't want anyone blabbing about this ahead of time. You can be sure that anyone who is chosen for Season 2 will be required to sign, and it'll likely be restricted to players who are 18+ in age.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    edited July 2020
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about this. Sims was always an escape for me to tell my own stories, until now the sims never was a TV show where already established gamechangers can show off and earn big money. I might watch it if it ever reaches a TV channel in my country but I for the rest I just want to play the game myself.

It is nice for those who are interested, it's just not for me.

I hope they show off, I want to see some cool builds and stories, being someone who loves decorating in game it is inspiring to me. Also I do not see this as really big money, it seems like a team of 3 wins the $100,000. Taxes will take half of that but still a nice payout.

Also I notice that people are only mentioning TBS as a way to watch the show. It will be on Buzzfeed’s YouTube channel a day later and you can select subtitles in the language of your choice through settings. Maybe give it a chance, if you do not like it you can still play your game.

Post edited by Pickledtiara on
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    Interesting. I'm more excited at one that I can participate, but, who will be the judges? What are the criteria for each theme? If it's depending on, downloaded or linked, it's not going to do any good for small following Simmers on the gallery. Are we also competing for the $100k too? What about the Simmers at a different time zone since the challenges are time sensitive (as what I've watched on the trailer)?

No only the ones on the show are competing for the $100k.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Christabelle73Christabelle73 Posts: 124 Member
    Denimjo wrote: »
    Do we have confirmation that someone will actually win $100,000, or do they just get a chance to win it?

The only people who will win the money is on the show. The people who participate in the Gallery Challenges are trying to win a spot on Season 2.
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    This sounds interesting, but like others, I agree that time spent on this show could've been better used to develop the game and fix all its bugs. As for the community challenges, I'm thinking that Simmers like me (56 followers and usually like 10 downloads on Gallery creations), won't even be considered for future seasons. They'll probably pick people who have thousands of followers and downloads (and people whose creations regularly get curated). I'll still participate for the fun of it, though.

Not that I mind, because TV is definitely not for me, but there are smaller Simmers who'd like to have their chance in the spotlight and I want that for them.

The people who are working on this are unlikely to be the people who would be working on the game itself. They'll be the same people who work in marketing and probably that department would not be given any more money to do the show than they had to begin with.

The majority of work on shows like this are done by the production company who would not be part of EA itself. Just like EA hires Ad Agencies to do a lot of their publicity but don't do the work themselves. I know about this because when I was a SimMaster, EA suggested me to Wieden and Kennedy to be their "gamer" when they wanted a commercial done for advertising University. It was called the "As Played By" project. And while EA had a lot of say in what they wanted from the commercial, it was Wieden and Kennedy who actually did the commercial. (I also know a lot about how shows like this work because my husband has been on Forged in Fire twice, the first time winning it and the second time was a "Champion of Champions" format. Definitely not scripted.)
  • Christabelle73Christabelle73 Posts: 124 Member
    trophy wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about this. Sims was always an escape for me to tell my own stories, until now the sims never was a TV show where already established gamechangers can show off and earn big money. I might watch it if it ever reaches a TV channel in my country but I for the rest I just want to play the game myself.

It is nice for those who are interested, it's just not for me.

I hope they show off, I want to see some cool builds and stories, Being someone who loves decorating in game it is inspiring to me. Also I do not see this as really big money, it seems like a team of 3 wins the $100,000. Taxes will take half of that but still a nice payout.

Also I notice that people are only mentioning TBS as a way to watch the show. It will be on Buzzfeed’s YouTube channel a day later and you can select subtitles in the language of your choice through settings. Maybe give it a chance, if you do not like it you can still play your game.

Not a day later, It airs on TBS on Thursday the 17th, then on Buzzfeed on Monday the 20th.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I have to ask. Why not put 100K into making the game better for everyone?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright