Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason I'll be harder on Sims than Paralives.

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    did any of you see Maggie's reveal from May?

Basically the Paralives going to have
    colour wheel and open world of Sims 3
    game play like sims 2 for all ages

and it will run on low-end computers

It's supposed to have a teen rating. I saw all the updates.

yes that as well, its aiming for a teen rating. Also please remember the game is only is pre-alpha which means its early in development. So please keep your panties on about Paralives

Why so rude? I was just saying they were planning on a teen rating ?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

yes that as well, its aiming for a teen rating. Also please remember the game is only is pre-alpha which means its early in development. So please keep your panties on about Paralives

I don't think that was aimed at you. I read it as being in general towards anyone reading it.

But I agree with you, I'm going to be easy on Paralives since they are starting out. But I already love the fresh ideas they have, especially those that have already been implemented in the game. I'm really loving the gridless building features and curved walls! I love that lots can be placed right up next to each other - great for townhouses and apartments. And the height slider on the paras!

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Teen? that's dissapointing lol
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    izecson wrote: »

Teen? that's dissapointing lol

I think that's the way to go. I've read that the game will be moddable as well, so that you can add more "mature" features if that's what you want.

• DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member
    The Sims (Mostly EA) should just be under heavy scrutiny because EA is just simply put: THE WORST game publisher in modern days. They make more money than just about any other publisher because more people buy Madden and Fifa than most other franchises each year, and said people will gladly spend $100's each on endless Microtransactions......AND they didn't even pay taxes last year. They LITERALLY have the power to give an infinite budget for The Sims because....well, Sims doesn't even make EA their fortune anymore....it's those two things that I mentioned above AND it makes them more money than Sims ever has before. But alas, EA just goes "Budget? Oh no no, we only have enough for a bunch of lousy reused animations and a single gameplay gimmick that you'll never use after the first time you play an expansion pack."

Man, we need Paralives more than ever to come and kick EA in the butt so maybe they'll actually TRY.
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited July 2020
    How is it that a small team to produce so many features?
    The team is just so small and I don't know what they are capable of.

Play Stardew Valley. It's an indie farming simulator made by one guy and a small translation team. It's sold millions of copies. There are a lot of incredible indie games out there, that for my money (literally for my money, I play loads of indie games) are a lot better than most big-corporation games. Paralives has the capacity to be amazing. If they aren't a scam (I don't think they are, anyway), then the fact that an indie game is confident enough to stand up against a gaming giant like EA gives me a lot of hope for it.

That said, there is always a chance it will flop. I'm not expecting miracles (I know a lot of people here are), but I'm also not writing the game off because of the indie dev team. It could go either way.
    banner.png
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited July 2020

I don't think that was aimed at you. I read it as being in general towards anyone reading it.

But I agree with you, I'm going to be easy on Paralives since they are starting out. But I already love the fresh ideas they have, especially those that have already been implemented in the game. I'm really loving the gridless building features and curved walls! I love that lots can be placed right up next to each other - great for townhouses and apartments. And the height slider on the paras!

Oh yah,I have ADHD and autism. So some things are hard for me to catch on.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy apartments aren't confirmed at the moment for Paralives.
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited July 2020
    @ClarionOfJoy apartments aren't confirmed at the moment for Paralives.

I was talking about the ability for lots to be placed right next to each other, sharing a wall with no space in between. In that way you can build homes clustered together which can then be treated as apartments. If a parafolk owns that cluster, then they can be rented out.

• LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    I feel like some of you aren’t actually following Paralives development, and just look at the YouTube videos with a sneer and pass judgement.

The team has said they are ACTIVELY searching to expand the team, not waiting for Patreon goals (which helps them) but are ACTIVELY looking to hire. They cannot do everything at once and want actual programmers and 3D environment artists and modellers to do a good job. So stop with the “oh it’s only a small team what can they do?”

Also, you’ll be able to add in 2 suns, and change the sun to what looked like a dog. For some fantasy or sci-fi play throughs, that is and never been done in the Sims series! There’s so much creativity and ideas from these guys, you can feel the passion. A passion that’s been killed and long dead with The Sims.
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    I feel like some of you aren’t actually following Paralives development, and just look at the YouTube videos with a sneer and pass judgement.

The team has said they are ACTIVELY searching to expand the team, not waiting for Patreon goals (which helps them) but are ACTIVELY looking to hire. They cannot do everything at once and want actual programmers and 3D environment artists and modellers to do a good job. So stop with the “oh it’s only a small team what can they do?”

Also, you’ll be able to add in 2 suns, and change the sun to what looked like a dog. For some fantasy or sci-fi play throughs, that is and never been done in the Sims series! There’s so much creativity and ideas from these guys, you can feel the passion. A passion that’s been killed and long dead with The Sims.

This is the competition's forums where even The Sims 3 and The Sims 2 get dragged through the mud to promote The Sims 4, so no surprise that Paralives will get down-played here.

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

This is the competition's forums where even The Sims 3 and The Sims 2 get dragged through the mud to promote The Sims 4, so no surprise that Paralives will get down-played here.

Paralives is not even a game yet. Right now it's just a beautiful promise. While it's good to have faith, it would also be nice to stop rubbishing actual games. Sims 4 is being promoted because that's the game currently being developed and sold. TS3 and TS2, however great they might have been, are no longer in development, so nothing new and exciting is going to be released for them, unless it's custom content.
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    edited July 2020
    I think the reason why people are hyping so much on Paralives is because they have so much input on what will come in to the game.
    Because the Sims 4 is so lacking and our wishes are often not heard, it feels for them nice to be heard by someone else.

I am not sure on buying Paralives myself, I will fully on decide after watching other players reviews.
    The game looks good and there are many promises made in term of gameplay and because it's such a small team I am afraid a lot of players will get disappointed. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed, but I am afraid the Paralives team will get a lot of hate from players who do not understand the difference between a small team and a large company. And I don't wish them a hatefull community like the sims one sometimes is. Many many simmers need to learn that you can express your opinion, but only with valid arguments. Not just ugly hate.

👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2020
    Simmivie wrote: »
    I think the reason why people are hyping so much on Paralives is because they have so much input on what will come in to the game.
    Because the Sims 4 is so lacking and our wishes are often not heard, it feels for them nice to be heard by someone else.

I am not sure on buying Paralives myself, I will fully on decide after watching other players reviews.
    The game looks good and there are many promises made in term of gameplay and because it's such a small team I am afraid a lot of players will get disappointed. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed, but I am afraid the Paralives team will get a lot of hate from players who do not understand the difference between a small team and a large company. And I don't wish them a hatefull community like the sims one sometimes is. Many many simmers need to learn that you can express your opinion, but only with valid arguments. Not just ugly hate.

I agree! This is why I can't tolerate The Sims 4. For a company like EA, coming with a game like this after The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 it is just frustrating and I struggle to understand why a lot of people seem ok with it.

My expectations are low but I'm excited for Paralives and I'll never be hard on it! With The Sims is totally the opposite!

I don't understand why The Sims 4 it is the way it is and sometimes as long time fan since 2002 I feel triggered by what this franchise that I love has become! I'm not saying Maxis is the problem but we all know how EA is since 2009/2010 and quite frankly, the sims community is also way to benevolant towards the situation. I'm not saying to be mean and disrespectfull. I'm just saying that if we complain (with reasons) and we know how EA is nowadays, we MUST STOP BUYING AND PLAYING The Sims 4 no matter what. Let it flop! That's the right thing to do!
    This 6 years is enough already to prove that this game will never be what the other three were and it's not really worthy to continue on creating expectations of someting that I genuinly think that will never be fixed. Specially when we have a game that costs +700 US dollars or equivalent!
    The Sims 4 failed to impress and I think in general even people who are "fine" with this game can understand that, unless you're a newbie to The Sims!
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    edited July 2020
    Renato10 wrote: »

I agree! This is why I can't tolerate The Sims 4. For a company like EA, coming with a game like this after The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 it is just frustrating and I struggle to understand why a lot of people seem ok with it.

My expectations are low but I'm excited for Paralives and I'll never be hard on it! With The Sims is totally the opposite!

I don't understand why The Sims 4 it is the way it is and sometimes as long time fan since 2002 I feel triggered by what this franchise that I love has become! I'm not saying Maxis is the problem but we all know how EA is since 2009/2010 and quite frankly, the sims community is also way to benevolant towards the situation. I'm not saying to be mean and disrespectfull. I'm just saying that if we complain (with reasons) and we know how EA is nowadays, we MUST STOP BUYING AND PLAYING The Sims 4 no matter what. Let it flop! That's the right thing to do!
    This 6 years is enough already to prove that this game will never be what the other three were and it's not really worthy to continue on creating expectations of someting that I genuinly think that will never be fixed. Specially when we have a game that costs +700 US dollars or equivalent!
    The Sims 4 failed to impress and I think in general even people who are "fine" with this game can understand that, unless you're a newbie to The Sims!

I think you are totally right about the fact that EA woud not change anything untill we stop buying.
    We are not satisfied with the game, but we still buy it. And I think the reason for that is the modding community. And I think that, because I am one of these people.

I have played all the generations and I do see all the problems with the Sims 4. But why do I keep buying it and playing?
    Because I use a lot of mods to improve my gameplay. There are a lot of mods that are my wishes for in the Sims 4. And there are a lot of them. So for me, my game is enjoyable. And because my game is enjoyable I keep playing it and keep expanding it. I could contribute to making a point and stop buying the new packs, but the problem is that the Sims is my outlet. My mental health has never been great and the Sims is where I can be myself and where I really can calm down. So I don't want to stop playing it and not being involved in the community.

I do know Sims 4 should be more, but on the other hand I can not let it go.
    It may sound egoistic, but I have played the game for 15 years and it always made me happy again. It's hard to let that go.

I hope I told everything in a respectfull way. I will never try to argue with an other simmer, but I think it's important to have a conversation about different opinions.
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »

I think you are totally right about the fact that EA woud not change anything untill we stop buying.
    We are not satisfied with the game, but we still buy it. And I think the reason for that is the modding community. And I think that, because I am one of these people.

I have played all the generations and I do see all the problems with the Sims 4. But why do I keep buying it and playing?
    Because I use a lot of mods to improve my gameplay. There are a lot of mods that are my wishes for in the Sims 4. And there are a lot of them. So for me, my game is enjoyable. And because my game is enjoyable I keep playing it and keep expanding it. I could contribute to making a point and stop buying the new packs, but the problem is that the Sims is my outlet. My mental health has never been great and the Sims is where I can be myself and where I really can calm down. So I don't want to stop playing it and not being involved in the community.

I do know Sims 4 should be more, but on the other hand I can not let it go.
    It may sound egoistic, but I have played the game for 15 years and it always made me happy again. It's hard to let that go.

I hope I told everything in a respectfull way. I will never try to argue with an other simmer, but I think it's important to have a conversation about different opinions.

I'm glad you brought this up and have that self awareness. The modding community is why I think some people, and again I stress the word some people because this doesn't apply to everyone, don't understand why others have an issue with or are so vocal about their dislike of the way things are going with The Sims 4. I'm not talking about the ones who find the gameplay actually in The Sims 4 to be great, but the ones who the ones who use a boatload of mods and CC to make up for the lack of gameplay and options (often their words). The ones who seem like they've gotten so used to using mods they don't realize how much the game is lacking until there's a new update and their mods don't work.

But the solution doesn't seem to be to get on EA's case and have them do better, it's to eagerly await the mods to get updated so the game can be fulfilling to them again, and even to await more mods to fix what the latest update broke or something annoying so the game is playable once again. I've seen lots of players post after a patch is released something along the lines of, 'Oh great, now I can't play until the mods are updated. Hope it doesn't take long.'

It's like to make a game that runs more smoothly and looks pretty, the sacrifice for a game from a multi-million or billion dollar (whichever they are now) game company, from a franchise that has apparently raked in over five billion and an iteration that has supposedly raked in over a billion on its own, is the actual gameplay and a group of the player base either doesn't realize it or is willing to accept it instead of demanding better. And some of them are some of the same people who will criticize the previous games because of the amount of mods or CC they think has to be used to make them run better or look better when they're doing almost the exact same thing with Sims 4.

I really don't think anything will change unless their pockets take a hit either. That or a new competitor like Paralives or someone else releases a game and they start seeing less revenue.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    crocobaura wrote: »

Paralives is not even a game yet. Right now it's just a beautiful promise. While it's good to have faith, it would also be nice to stop rubbishing actual games. Sims 4 is being promoted because that's the game currently being developed and sold. TS3 and TS2, however great they might have been, are no longer in development, so nothing new and exciting is going to be released for them, unless it's custom content.

But TS4 really IS a rubbish game that doesn't deserve people's hard-earned money. That's fact. TS3 and TS2 are so amazing that even though they're no longer in development, they are still a lot more playable and enjoyable than TS4. TS3 is the most flexible out of all of them. And you can do a lot more with that game because of it's customization and flexible gameplay. I mean, modders are still putting out amazing stuff to add to it which makes it new and exciting all over again! And I'm not entirely frugal. When I started playing TS3, I totally fell in love with it - I basically threw all my money at EA to get everything of it - and I felt no pain buying it all, lol! EAxis deserved all the money I gave them for this wonderful game! That was my way of saying "Thank you so much! You did an AMAZING job!"

Why do you think the competition is even emboldened at this time in the first place? They didn't DARE compete during TS2's and TS3's run because there was no topping what those two games had at that time!

I also don't like the direction that EAxis is taking this franchise in, so I'm really glad that there are other options now from the competition. I actually have more hope for them than for whatever EAxis is going to release.

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    No I won’t be harder on Sims or Paralives.

I will judge by content vs price. I don’t know what else could be fair.
    If I think game 1 offers the kind of gameplay I’m personally looking for, but game 2 doesn’t, I will invest in game 1 if the price seems reasonable to me.
    I don’t care if the game is made by 5 people or 500 people. Personal preference for content comes first. If I like what I see, I’m willing to open my wallet.

But TS4 really IS a rubbish game that doesn't deserve people's hard-earned money. That's fact.

That is not a fact. You are speaking from personal preference. You are not the entire community. Folks can and will spend their hard-earned money on whatever they like.

If I think game 1 offers the kind of gameplay I’m personally looking for, but game 2 doesn’t, I will invest in game 1 if the price seems reasonable to me.
    I don’t care if the game is made by 5 people or 500 people. Personal preference for content comes first. If I like what I see, I’m willing to open my wallet.

But TS4 really IS a rubbish game that doesn't deserve people's hard-earned money. That's fact.

That is not a fact. You are speaking from personal preference. You are not the entire community. Folks can and will spend their hard-earned money on whatever they like.

In comparison to the previous The Sims games it is. When you compare them to each other, TS4 really is rubbish and far less value for what you would have to pay. I'm glad I didn't get taken in by the hype and the ridiculous reasons to keep buying it.

I don't want EA to lose business, but I'd rather enrich EA by directing people to the games they published worth buying and playing.

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

In comparison to the previous The Sims games it is. When you compare them to each other, TS4 really is rubbish and far less value for what you would have to pay. I'm glad I didn't get taken in by the hype and the ridiculous reasons to keep buying it.

I don't want EA to lose business, but I'd rather enrich EA by directing people to the games they published worth buying and playing.

You could state your thoughts without offending anyone.
    telmarina wrote: »

Why? So that everyone will like me? And I don't think what I wrote was offensive.

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

Why? So that everyone will like me? And I don't think what I wrote was offensive.

No, just out of respect.

No, just out of respect.

Respect for what? TS4? What did I write that was offensive??? TS4 would've been more respected if it was a better game. Every time I read about the new bugs every new pack adds to the game, I die just a little bit more inside. It is no wonder that a lot of people are not feeling very optimistic about TS5. I'm starting to struggle with how I'm feeling about it myself, because I really WANT it to be great.

TS4 really IS a rubbish game that doesn't deserve people's hard-earned money. That's fact.

I understand that you're not fond of TS4 like you were with previous iterations and that's your prerogative, but please don't speak for others. TS4 is my favourite iteration from the franchise, and I have played TS1, TS2 and TS3. I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I've also had the most fun and enjoyment from TS4 than I have with any of the previous games.

Like or dislike whatever you want, but it's best to avoid speaking for the whole community.

I just find that so hard to believe.

Which part of TS4 do you love so much? The ever-growing pile of bugs that have yet to be fixed? The lack of content that you're still waiting for 6 years in? The shallow sims that won't do what they're suppose to do? The tiny neighborhoods you can't even edit? That you can't add lots to? Or change the size of the lots? That you can't create new neighborhoods? The limited swatches and patterns? And so on? It's the pain that just keeps on giving.

And please don't tell me it's the graphics. You can just look at free pictures of TS4 to enjoy the graphics. Or the smooth play - they took out everything fun and interesting to make that happen. But now there's simulation lag. So now you've got no gameplay but have the lag anyway. Smh.

EAxis needs to move on to TS5 soon. I can't believe they dragged on the worst of the series this long!

-=<*>=-

On the flip side, I like that Paralives has been very open with us in terms of the development and direction of their game. I like that they already have fresh ideas - I'm really excited about the gridless building and other features because they haven't been done yet in the life simulation genre.

So we should encourage them! That's what the life simulation genre needs - to have more games on offer just like with all the other popular genres. Like with the first person shooter for example that was started with Doom. If that was all we would get we would get very bored with the genre quickly - but other games in that genre were introduced that surpassed Doom and we, the players, benefited from the competition and variety.

And maybe, this will wake EAxis up and make them step up their quality of The Sims series. I REALLY don't want TS4 to go down in history as the last The Sims game.