Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Spark'd? No thanks!!

Comments

• KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    Duvelina wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    TV shows also actually make money. If TV shows cost more money than they make, no one would be making them. It can also tank and fail, but that's a risk you take.

I'm not convinced many people in America will watch this at all. Younger people don't even watch TV, and they are the main Sims demographic. Older people don't care about video games on TV.

Younger people don't watch TV? Where did you get that statement? Toddlers, okay. But older kids and teens definitely watch TV.

TV is a dying entertainment. People are turning to streaming now.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Sure. But surely, people living with their (middle-class) parents can and do watch TV. The target demographic seems to be teens and teens mostly live with their parents. So TV being expensive and only being for older people wouldn't be a factor in teens watching this reality show. Besides, I think the idea is not appealing to people who already play The Sims, but new people encountering it on the TV since it is a popular channel (according to you, I don't know anything about it).
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited July 2020

I'm not excited about it. I don't really care about these kind of shows but looks like we're having the opportunity to participate in future seasons. That is kinda exciting, in my opinion :tongue:
    he/him
  • FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    > @bixters said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Except they are airing this on national TV, which costs a lot of money. TBS is a pretty popular station in the US. I'd say a million dollars. Why spend it on a TV show?

The Sims is a money maker franchise, and EA has a lot of money to spend promoting it. We are talking about a game that is very relatable to casual gamers, so the majority of players around world. In 2009 (TS3), YT wasn't so popular than now and couldn't really reach people out of Simmers niche. Now gaming is not only a niche hobbie, but widespread, making more sense to spend money promoting it. And I guess (I'm not American, don't really know bout TBS but to be a TV channel) that it could attract a lot of new players. :smile:
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited July 2020
    TV shows also actually make money. If TV shows cost more money than they make, no one would be making them. It can also tank and fail, but that's a risk you take.

I'm not convinced many people in America will watch this at all. Younger people don't even watch TV, and they are the main Sims demographic. Older people don't care about video games on TV.

Younger people don't watch TV? Where did you get that statement? Toddlers, okay. But older kids and teens definitely watch TV.

TV is a dying entertainment. People are turning to streaming now.

Same thing was told about radio stations and theaters but they still survive.
    Flap wrote: »

The Sims is a money maker franchise, and EA has a lot of money to spend promoting it. We are talking about a game that is very relatable to casual gamers, so the majority of players around world. In 2009 (TS3), YT wasn't so popular than now and couldn't really reach people out of Simmers niche. Now gaming is not only a niche hobbie, but widespread, making more sense to spend money promoting it. And I guess (I'm not American, don't really know bout TBS but to be a TV channel) that it could attract a lot of new players. :smile:

If they have so much money, why can't they improve the game then? If they can afford to spend millions on a TV show, why can't we have a better game? That's my issue with this.
    If the game was in good shape, I wouldn't care about a TV show. But, the game now, is very lacking, and is filled with bugs. Use your money to fix the game first.

My thoughts exactly :(.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    geekchic96 wrote: »
    I'm so confused. The Sims 4 been out for years and it's still filled with bugs and limited content and instead of fixing the game, they make something no one even asked for? This is why I stopped playing the Sims 4 and stuck with Sims 2 and 3. In my opinion, it seems like EA/Maxis doesn't really care about fixing the Sims 4. They've created a game that sells half baked content well and apparently tv deals.

Amen!
    This show cost a couple million, and they still haven't fixed the bugs with Eco Lifestyle? The patch that came out today barely did anything. Yet, they can afford to make a reality show? :(
    Well, if this is what all the hoopla was about, count me OUT. What a yawner.

Oh no, don't tell me this is the "never done before" thing :( Noooooo this is NOT what we meant by having new things.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Flap wrote: »

If they have so much money, why can't they improve the game then? If they can afford to spend millions on a TV show, why can't we have a better game? That's my issue with this.
    If the game was in good shape, I wouldn't care about a TV show. But, the game now, is very lacking, and is filled with bugs. Use your money to fix the game first.

The problem with the bugs is not money, it's the bugs themselves. They are the consequence of a stone age code filled with myriads of conflicting packs. No money can fix them easily.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

Oh no, don't tell me this is the "never done before" thing :( Noooooo this is NOT what we meant by having new things.

Oh I hope not. That's pretty disappointing, not that I was really looking forward to the "never done before thing" but that's...pretty lame.
    logion wrote: »

Oh I hope not. That's pretty disappointing, not that I was really looking forward to the "never done before thing" but that's...pretty lame.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised. It is "unprecedented." :'(
    logion wrote: »

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised. It is "unprecedented." :'(

Not gonna lie, if this is it, I hope there is backlash...that would be a horrible misleading the team done on their part....:(
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    They talked about a never been done before GP, right? So, this shouldn't be it.

The problem with the bugs is not money, it's the bugs themselves. They are the consequence of a stone age code filled with myriads of conflicting packs. No money can fix them easily.

I think if EA were to give more money to the team that fixes bugs, they could fix them quicker. Maybe money to hire more workers. But instead EA allocates money towards a reality TV show. That's my issue.
  • geekchic96geekchic96 Posts: 154 Member
    geekchic96 wrote: »
    I'm so confused. The Sims 4 been out for years and it's still filled with bugs and limited content and instead of fixing the game, they make something no one even asked for? This is why I stopped playing the Sims 4 and stuck with Sims 2 and 3. In my opinion, it seems like EA/Maxis doesn't really care about fixing the Sims 4. They've created a game that sells half baked content well and apparently tv deals.

Amen!
    This show cost a couple million, and they still haven't fixed the bugs with Eco Lifestyle? The patch that came out today barely did anything. Yet, they can afford to make a reality show? :(

It's ridiculous! The millions they used to make the show is probably nothing to them because they know they'll be getting more money from ads/sponsors and of course from the fans. It's sad to see how far this franchise has fallen. :/
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2020
    Not something I'm into,, especially since it'll likely be shallow fluff where they say "diversity" and "inclusion" over and over while we listen to sob stories, with the token "lol my sim WooHood ina dumpster so quirky XD" thrown in. Buuuut least it's a harmless little thing that others can enjoy, so I can appreciate it for the joy it can bring to others. And now maybe Plumbella will finally get the recognition she deserves.

If there's a dragon challenge somewhere, my opinion will change and I'd watch the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 out of this show.

Though considering we've heard about budget limitations all the time wih Sims 4, this competition and its prize money seems weird. I mean, I get it - different departments, different budgets. But it's so weird.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    edited July 2020
    Oh no.. I actually got kind of sad watching that, I really don't like the idea of the Sims being connected to the world of reality-tv, and the whole promotional direction this is going in. The competition element is just something that I personally don't want for the Sims, but to each their own, I guess. I hope these kind of competitions won't be present in-game though..
    Oh no.. I actually got kind of sad watching that, I really don't like the idea of the Sims being connected to the world of reality-tv, and the whole promotional direction this is going in. The competition element is just something that I personally don't want for the Sims, but to each their own, I gues! I hope these kind of competitions won't be present in-game though..

Sadly, I think they will be. The new update today was for the Gallery, and enables you to participate in "Spark'd" Challenges with the reality tv show... :'(
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I'm not in the slightest interested (Nor am I American or have tv so probably couldn't anyways)

But it might get new Sims fans? I'm guessing that's what they are going for. The group of people that watch any reality tv shows wanting to try out the game rather than existing sims fans.

Meh...

I'll skip this one.