Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGBTQ+ Premade Couples

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Well, atleast they're is gay representation in the game. Meanwhile, not a single ace couple in sight. I know, I know, they're hard to "distinguish" from straight or gay couples, but they could literally just put an ace flag in a couple's home and be done with it. There are still misconceptions going around that asexuals never date, so representation in this regard would help immensely.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    Well, atleast they're is gay representation in the game. Meanwhile, not a single ace couple in sight. I know, I know, they're hard to "distinguish" from straight or gay couples, but they could literally just put an ace flag in a couple's home and be done with it. There are still misconceptions going around that asexuals never date, so representation in this regard would help immensely.

I wonder if giving a Sim the Unflirty trait would help with ace representation?
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2020
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

I wonder if giving a Sim the Unflirty trait would help with ace representation?

The unflirty trait feels more aromantic than asexual since it not only applies to woohooing, but also romantic interactions in general. Even then it's still really cliched and not really representative of a large majority of aromantics. "Representing" sexual and romantic orientations with traits alone won't do them justice anyway.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    American LGBT statistics.

5.1% lesbian
    4.9% gay
    0.6% trans

(Bi not measured)

Considering the limited number of townies, the current demographic is fairly accurate.

While I understand the desire for more premade LGBT sims, it’s a game. Just make your own and enjoy it.

When there are FOUR lesbian couples in the game, while only ONE gay male couple, that actually doesn't match the statistics you tried to represent... also, The Sims isn't just an American game. It's a worldwide game. The worldwide population for LGBT people is roughly 10-15%.

Nice biased stats, though!

Also, statistics shouldn't even matter... because The Sims is a fictional game. You don't see vampires or witches roaming around in real life, but there are more of them in the game than there are gay Sims... think about that for a moment. EA actually went out of their way to put more supernaturals in the game than gay male Sims. That's a very clear bias.

EA actually puts supernaturals (things that don't even exist) above a real demographic that actually does exist.

The thing is though, Sims aren't straight by default. They're more bisexual by nature. Or at least, potentially bisexual. They don't discriminate between the sexes until the player guides them to a choice. So while they're not necessarily gay, they're not straight either. And this goes for all Sims. It's really not a hetero based game.

#Team Occult
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    If you’re gonna add gay couples or single gay sims add it because there’s a good story & meaning behind it. Not just for the sake of “ representation“ lol. You want gay male couples? Why not just create them yourself or download from the gallery? When get to work first got released I was expecting a mad scientist. Instead I downloaded one off the gallery & added him in a warehouse where he creates robots. You can create YOUR game however you want.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    American LGBT statistics.

5.1% lesbian
    4.9% gay
    0.6% trans

(Bi not measured)

Considering the limited number of townies, the current demographic is fairly accurate.

While I understand the desire for more premade LGBT sims, it’s a game. Just make your own and enjoy it.

@Metaphasic Yeah let's keep real-life demographics out of this 'cause we'd have to delete all alien sims 'cause what percentage of the american population do they take up?
    Let's also stay away from using american statistics which is the same as calling the game an american simulator and that's just wrong.

Personally I do not think EA is purposely leaving out male gay couples. Unless there is evidence they do it on purpose we cannot accuse them of anything. However I do think they should use more in their ads and in the premade families but for me it is not the most substancial way to show solidarity. In my opinion they cannot satisfy everyone since humans are so different and unique. They do give us tools to create the sims we want with as much accuracy as possible and I think that's great!

Let's all not draw conclusions from such little things. It's the big picture that matters to me and from my point of view EA has shown their support for us and will continue to do.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2020
    Justin wrote: »
    If you’re gonna add gay couples or single gay sims add it because there’s a good story & meaning behind it.
    Ok. But in that case...

If you’re gonna add straight couples or single straight sims add it because there’s a good story & meaning behind it.
  • Options
    HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    If you’re gonna add gay couples or single gay sims add it because there’s a good story & meaning behind it. Not just for the sake of “ representation“ lol. You want gay male couples? Why not just create them yourself or download from the gallery? When get to work first got released I was expecting a mad scientist. Instead I downloaded one off the gallery & added him in a warehouse where he creates robots. You can create YOUR game however you want.

Way to tell on yourself that you see heterosexuals as default and everyone else as specialty human beings. What is the special reason or story behind all the straight couples and sims? Oh, right, they don't need one. Why is that?
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member

Way to tell on yourself that you see heterosexuals as default and everyone else as specialty human beings. What is the special reason or story behind all the straight couples and sims? Oh, right, they don't need one. Why is that?

This is always the excuse people use as a way of trying to get around homophobia. Straight characters are always allowed to just exist for no actual reason, but gay characters must always have an extremely interesting story and reason to justify their existence... otherwise, they "don't belong".

It's an extremely old excuse that I'm personally getting sick of. These people make themselves look tolerant, but are simply shielding their homophobia.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member

I love how straight characters are always allowed to just exist for no actual reason, but gay characters always need to have an extremely interesting background, story, or reason to justify their existence... your hypocrisy and homophobia are showing.

You're trying to hide it with fake tolerance, but I've seen this kind of mindset way too many times to believe it. I'm not stupid. I know exactly what you're saying here.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Actually, the premades do have backstories to a certain extent, if you look at their bios. I don't really play premades much because I prefer my own Sims with their own lives. So you could say that all the premades are created to tell a special story, not just the LGBT+ Sims. (In one of my old games my Sim's daughter had a fling with Father Winter and gave birth to twin boys, then she married her female best friend -- it wasn't planned, the game just sort of went in that direction.)

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member

Nindigo wrote: »
    Icewolf wrote: »
    Why not just make your own?

It has something to do with the message the company is sending. It's not a question of quantity of couples in and of itself.

@Sharonia That should not be the motivational factor in an inclusive political strategy.

I don't think that game designers should be motivated by 'political strategies'. Games are a form of entertainment, and it's better to leave politics out of it.

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited July 2020

It is rather telling that there had better be a good reason for this is seemingly only invoked when there is something non-white or non-straight involved in video games.
  • Options
    FrubblesFrubbles Posts: 11 New Member
    While it's not the same as in game representation, the Hawthorne family created for House Party is a male couple with children. The family was created by Simgururad, who has apparently created pre-mades for the game before. The CAS creation was streamed on twitch, and then they did 3 gameplay streams with the characters. You can get the family from Maxis from the gallery.
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    Why not just make your own?

That's not the point... EA & Maxis are a company that constantly claim to be LGBT inclusive and supportive. They profit off the LGBT community at every chance they get, but often fail to even represent us properly in their games... that's a huge red flag! Especially when The Sims is a game that many gay men enjoy, you can't really be surprised that we simply wanna see more representation.

This is a trend among many video games, TV shows, movies, etc... they claim to be all supportive of the LGBT community, but often refuse to even give us the slightest representation... and when they do, they often use the safest route possible... which either includes representing the most easily accepted members of the community (usually lesbians or bisexual women), using the gay character as comedic relief, or simply saying the character is gay, while never actually showing it.

This is problematic... especially for a company that claims to support the community so much. It also further proves they only say these things for the sake of $$$, instead of actually practicing what they claim to preach.

They don't truly represent bisexual women though; they represent some fake, vague, "hates labels" women or flip floppers. They go from "straight" to "gay" and never declare their identity or stick up for themselves when others are confused or rude. If they act bi, they never say it or call out haters. They usually just live in extremes, suddenly going from dating all men to all women. Or they stick with the first woman they fall for and drop (or deny) their past real attraction to men after finding a sole mate - that's the most harmful part for real bisexuals. It also pushes the harmful, ubiquitous, recent idea that if it's LOVE, it's OK. (It's OK if it's casual, too!!!) That's not right, and not really bi. (It's nothing, actually, it's not gay either. It's a non-thing.)

Hopefully this has started to change and I haven't yet seen it; I've only seen it done (very well) with one man, so far.

Other than that, you're totally right.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, we've gone ahead and closed the thread due to it going off-topic multiple times.

/EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top