Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating Music Takes Too Long...and...

Creating music takes too long and selling is limited. I wanted to have a stay at home musician - writing music and songs - but selling items is limited to one per week and creating takes too long. When you start creating and stop the Sim cannot resume where he was. Music creation should be the same as paintings and written work. I put this in the "help" section also - I know it is not a bug but it should be fixed.

Comments

• JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I agree that I'd like a way to utilise it as a career, like paining and writing, that'd be fun. But I'm pretty sure you can resume a song your sim already started, unfinished songs are supposed to end up in the sims inventory. Have you checked there?
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited July 2020
    It took me a while when I first done this. Just look through your sim's personal inventory, the option to finish on work your sim has already started will be in one of the pages.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have a Sim who makes most of her money through writing songs and jingles. Songs take quite a while, but she can resume them at any time. As mentioned above, the sheet music ends up in the Sim’s inventory. Jingles are fast to write, when your Sim needs quick money, but they don’t pay as well.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I added the music mixing machine. So my sim writes lyrics/songs and uploads mixed music. This brings in a nice amount of royalties, about 4k a day.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    @SimsLady2000 Wow! Great idea. Thanks.

@Rouenpucelle - how do you write a jingle? I haven't seen that option. I will look for it.

@LaBlue0314 and @JackOnYourBack - I found the sheet music in inventory but when I select it - it looks like the "clock" goes back to the beginning and I don't get credit for the time already put into it. Maybe - maybe not - but it still takes too long.

And my main complaint is you can only sell one song or lyrics a week.
    Ok - I got my Sim the mix master. He worked on a track. Went back to finish...opened inventory...his sheet music had been converted to "digital music files" so I picked one (thinking he would go to the mix master) but now he is back at the organ working on an old tune (which drives me crazy). Also - I think the jingle writing requires being in a career track. I'm trying to make him a stay at home musician with income.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have my sim write songs in public so passing sims spend a fortune tipping.
    @calaprfy - had not thought of tips - I'll try it - but ideally would like to stay at home and keep other Sims busy also.
    So the music mixer works to level your Media Production skill. The higher your skill, the more songs you can remix and upload (about once a sim day I think) So to upload songs etc., you just have to click on the machine itself. Once you do that, choose a base song. While the song is playing click on the Mixing Machine and select Remix, this will bring up options for you to select. You will hear them added as you click the boxes. Once a song is how you want it, select Burn Track and a CD goes into your inventory and cannot be changed. If its a poor quality, try remixing and clicking one less item or one more item. Once complete, If you hover over it and it says "unreleased" you can right click on it and choose release song to ...... They still need to be at the machine to do it though. The Mixing Machine doesn't do anything for the songs you write on instruments though. You can only create the songs that are available through the machine. I would recommend only uploading normal quality and higher. I tried a poor one and it didn't go well.

My Sim is a rags to riches sim so I dragged that guitar everywhere and practiced and did things in public for tips. It was awesome! Go to all the festivals too. Really pays off.

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited July 2020
    simstr0ng wrote: »

@Rouenpucelle - how do you write a jingle? I haven't seen that option. I will look for it.

You may have to have a certain skill level with a particular instrument. My Sim has level 10 piano skill, and the option comes up when I click on the piano. If you have a cc instrument, the option may not be present. I noticed an option was missing on one of my cc pianos.

You can sell more than one if you write them on different instruments. For example, she has sold a piano song and a violin song the same day.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    I just just realized recently that my DJ can make pretty good money going to clubs at night and working several hours there, and do other things during the day.
    @SheriSim57 - good idea for money - but I want mine to stay at home.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    D
    @SheriSim57 - good idea for money - but I want mine to stay at home.

I have one musician that plays the guitar, but he has the musician job, and plays for tips some. I moved him to SM so it would be easier. I want to make him famous. I’m not sure if that will affect the amount of money he will make or not, I am assuming not. I still need to try the mixing machine. I have a lot of those music platforms outside of community lots, inside bars, etc. and he carries his guitar everywhere now that I have him by himself. It’s much more fun playing him living alone, I can concentrate on him more.
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    How do you write songs? I thought you had to be at a certain level in the music career but I may be wrong.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited July 2020
    I found the sheet music in inventory but when I select it - it looks like the "clock" goes back to the beginning and I don't get credit for the time already put into it. Maybe - maybe not - but it still takes too long.

the "clock"=progress going backwards is a bug and it seems to be rather new, cause I never had it before today (and I had alot of musician sims writing loads of songs before), I also feel like the time to write a song (or lyric) itself takes longer now....
    when I started to notice the progress going backwards I made her stop writing and than resume the same song again, that time it worked as intended, the progress went up.

And as already mentioned, you can sell one song per instrument per week, so that makes at least 3 songs per week (guitar, piano, violin) plus lyrics =4 and organ (if you got vampires) = 5 songs per week, that is not bad at all.
    Also when the week is done you can sell the same song again, so you don't have to write songs continuosly.
    The music mixer is great too, if you want to stress yourself out you can even get signed by a label ;)

Besides that you can busk for tips on the street or perform for tips at a lounge/bar.
    I made my sims do "tours" where I had them visit every lounge (and bar with a "stage") and perform a "set", it's not a big money maker but it adds to the gameplay of being a musician imho....but... umm...bad idea for a stay-at-home musician I guess...

I think the jingle is related to the musician career btw. I vaguely remember it having that icon, but I am not totally sure...

@alexspoom13 no, you don't need to be in the career, you just need a high enough skill with an instrument (singing for lyrics), then the option shows up when you click it.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

@alexspoom13 - true as @RavenSpit noted - just look for the option when you select an instrument

@ravenspit - thanks for the explanation - I will work on my Sim's progress on all the instruments. I don't have Vampires but I do have the electric piano and I think that is different from the grand piano.

I did not realize selling a song was just for a one week period.

I still wish music compositions were better for a stay at home musician.
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    YES. I recently played a sim who I tried to finish all aspirations with, no cheats. This combined with a bug that randomly froze sims' writing and crafting progress has made it annoyingly and unnecessarily frustrating. I don't mind that it's hard or takes a while - but these things should be balanced.
    banner.png
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited July 2020
    @simstr0ng unfortunately,the electric piano is not a seperate skill.

btw. I made a report of the progress bar decreasing bug at the help center, if any of you want to add your "me too"s or something https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/quot-Write-Lyrics-quot-Progress-bar-decreasing/m-p/9304025#M147999
    Post edited by RavenSpit on
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

@RavenSpit - I did a me too. I figured out the electric piano is the same. My Sim is working on piano/violin/guitar music and lyrics. I wonder how much those will pay.
    I haven't had any bugs relating to progress yet. However, I did notice that sometimes the green progress bubble disappears over their head then I have to go into their skills and see which one they are leveling by floating above it and watching to see that it counts up. I thought my sim was leveling charisma at one point and it turned out to Selvadorian Culture. :D

How do you write songs? I thought you had to be at a certain level in the music career but I may be wrong.

You do not even have to be in the music career to write and license songs. You just need to have a high enough level in singing or playing an instrument. My sim is an actor and he writes and licenses songs on his guitar. Once your sim gets to a certain level (5 or 7 maybe?), if you click on the instrument (or in the case of singing, the microphone) and select either write song or write lyrics. When the song is complete, click on the mailbox and select license song and you will earn royalties!

edited July 2020

Rouensims wrote: »

You may have to have a certain skill level with a particular instrument. My Sim has level 10 piano skill, and the option comes up when I click on the piano. If you have a cc instrument, the option may not be present. I noticed an option was missing on one of my cc pianos.

You can sell more than one if you write them on different instruments. For example, she has sold a piano song and a violin song the same day.
    This is also true with Lyrics and Songs too I believe.

@SimsLady2000 and @Rouensims - at this point my Sim stay at home musician has one song licensed for each - the piano, violin and guitar. Apparently those may only be renewed once a week - so I don't see any incentive to create more music. My Sim also has one lyrics licensed - I believe this is also for only one week. I don't think multiple lyrics (for different instruments) is possible.

So I still think creating music takes too long and has too little incentive to create more. I'm waiting to see how much my Sim's work pays off and if that payment increases over time.

I would like to see music creation work like painting or writing. Both take a reasonable amount of time and are unlimited for selling the work. My Sims especially love painting and will initiate paintings all by themselves.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Ohh... this was inspiring!

One day I will make an occult traveling musician :)
    @SilentKitty - good for you - if your musician travels he can perform for tips.