Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What was your first game in the Sims Franchise?

Bonus question:

Do you feel like the first game you play makes an impression on how you think the direction the franchise should go?
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

What was your first game in the Sims Franchise? 54 votes

The Sims 1
77%
canitbemanStdlr9Jderrick094nickibitswardstoryyCamkatIsb917SimburianKementarifruitsbasket101alanmichael1stilljustme2skybird14taydevAlwe1507elelunicykristenleighwhiteFelicity1169IvyeyedLemon405 42 votes
The Sims 2
5%
GalacticGalRandie_ReignsSimmerGeorge 3 votes
The Sims 3
7%
Nikkei_SimmerChatsaundenvableSERVERFRA 4 votes
The Sims 4
0%
Sims on Console or Handheld
7%
MareahMortimerGothValeahGilbertStrangePenny 4 votes
A Sim Spin-off (Medieval, My Sims etc)
1%
SquirrelTail15 1 vote
Sims Mobile
0%

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    The Sims 1
    Sims 1, but played SimCity before it too.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    The Sims 1
    Started with the first one when I was three or four (I watched my mom play before that) and as the sequels and spin offs were released, I got them. 1 to 2 to 3 to 4, with all the Sims Stories, ports of Castaway and Pets, Medieval, Sims Animals, and a few My Sims games in between.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The Sims 1
    Sims 1, but played SimCity before it too.

I played SimCity on the SNES as I didn't have my first computer till 2001 (bought it mainly because I was studying programming & didn't feel like trekking all the way to campus just to use the computer lab).

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    The Sims 1
    The Sims 1. Technically my first Sim game was SimCity 2000 on the Playstation 1.
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    The Sims 1
    For me it was Sim Town ๐Ÿ˜
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    The Sims 2
    Well then I'll be the first to say I started in 2006-2007 with the Sims 2 but also played the Sims 1 complete collection for a good year at the same time. I was just 8 so I had enough time for computer games :wink:
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    The Sims 1
    I started with The Sims (1).

I think the first game anyone plays would affect how they think the direction of The Sims franchise should go going forward. When I read the wishes and wants for TS5 from people who've only played TS4, they're basically asking for a TS4 v2.0! Smh....

Since I started with The Sims, I think the fullness of that game, its charm and sense of humor (NO toilet or poop jokes) definitely affected my view of how The Sims franchise should go. Because of the original and TS2 and TS3, I'm used to having the basegame and packs be very full of working gameplay and content, that the Sims be intelligent and do what they're supposed to do. This is why I'm so demanding and disappointed with TS4 and have not bought it.

I'm also accustomed to seeing major breakthroughs from my experiences with The Sims and TS2 and TS3. The Sims 1 of course was the very first of its kind, but it was so well done with so many ideas and concepts come to life in it, that it really set the life simulation genre on very good footing and set that level so high that no one even tried to compete.

There are some things about it too that were so unique and excellent, but for whatever reason had not been replicated in the later iterations. I'm talking about the Makin' Magic and Superstar EPs. The magic in Makin' Magic was to me one of the best. The devs wouldn't have to recreate it exactly, but I wish they would incorporate many of the ideas and mechanisms of Makin' Magic to TS5. I also LOVE the Superstar EP which to me did the celebrity system and careers the best out of all the iterations. These careers were also the very first active careers and it was so much fun: photoshoot modelling, runway modeling, acting in a soap, singing at a recording studio. I would like to see those concepts again in TS5 but that each active career is more fleshed out. So a model can perhaps own a modelling agency, the actor can become a director or producer, and the singer can own a music publishing company. Then they would continue to work to build those active lots and fill it with skill-building and other objects pertinent for those careers.

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,879 Member
    The Sims 1
    Started with Sims1 <3
    Then my favourite, Sims2 <3
    Skipped the jello-pudding.
    Now playing TS4, TS2 and CS Stories <3
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    A Sim Spin-off (Medieval, My Sims etc)
    Started with MySims on the wii (yes, really!), then spent several years playing Sims FreePlay. Got Sims 4 about two years ago and never looked back.

And yes, I think first game(s) do make an impact on where you think any game franchise should go, but it differs from person to person.
    banner.png
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    The Sims 2
    Wow so many of you started with The Sims 1. Didn't expect that. How cool.
    I am desperately looking for The Sims 1 Complete collection nowadays to revisit the game since I didn't play it a lot.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    The Sims 1
    Started at the beginning and have played all of the main series and most spin offs. :)

I do think where you started does leave an impression and influence you which way you think the franchise should go. Rightly so, considering whatever and where ever you started, whatever that version had, was what hooked and kept you and brought you here today. TS1 isn't my favourite in the series (TS2 and Medieval are my favourites) but that humour from TS1 was what kept me playing and whatever future versions, I'll always want some of that sims silly in it.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    The Sims 1
    I started with Sims 1 not long after it first came out and have played all the PC versions since then... My favourites have probably been TS2 followed by TS3, I remember spending hours on those games.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    The Sims 1
    I started with The Sims 1 when I was around 10 and I think it's still my favorite to this day. There's just something about the simplicity and silliness I find so appealing and I don't think any of the others fully captured the same feeling (although they're still fun don't get me wrong) which might be due to being a different studio and team?
    I was actually very excited that The Sims 4 was supposed to be going back to basics as but I'm disappointed in the lack of random events and silliness. With each new game, I feel like it's slowly becoming tamer and puts me in too much control over everything. I want to be surprised and I miss how easy Sims could die. The Sims 1 was unpredictable and challenging, the Sims 2 was as well but I hated the fulfillment bar as it made the game feel too goal-oriented, the Sims 3 is probably my second favorite but at the same time it lost a lot of its funny moments and it's where I started to feel like the game was too easy, The Sims 4 I really enjoy (maybe tied with 3 but for different reasons), but I do what more random events, I hate feeling like I'm in control of every detail, I want stuff to happen to my Sims that I have no control over. In future iterations, I hope they actually do go back to the beginning where it's quirky and surprising. I want to feel like I'm playing more of an actual simulation game rather than a really nice looking dress up and decor game.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    The Sims 1
    I started with Sims 1. I have played Sims 2 (which I still enjoy today), Sims 3 (which I kinda enjoyed except for the Sims themselves), and Sims 4 (I gave up on it due to the actual gameplay).
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    edited July 2020
    The Sims 2
    I was very late to the gaming scene. I didn't begin to play, in earnest, until the summer of 2005, when I was 50 years old. As for the bonus question, loving Sims2 the way I did, and it being my first real gaming experience, I would have to say, yes, I did think the next iteration of this game would be all the better. In my naivete I truly thought EA/Maxis would expand upon the best of Sims2 in ways I couldn't even imagine. Had they given us Sims2 with the three life-range options, I would have been ecstatic. While Sims3 had many things I liked, it was also fraught with problems. Basically, the game engine appeared unstable. I play on a gaming rig and had problems with it, even after that one was replaced by the one I have now. I still had problems. The only remedy was loading it up with NRaas, Industry mods. Bless Twallen and his talent! I did learn not to remove Sims3, until I was pretty well certain I had no need to go back to it. The Sims, themselves just were on the blah side of things. Not at all the zany, lovable, hysterically funny Sims from Sims2. We gave up too much for that wonderful open world. I like the Sims in Sims4 better.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    The Sims 1
    The sims 1. I was also very much a fan of simcity as well. Is it sad that I forgot that game was apart of the sims franchise? I would play it in middle school all the time in my computer class. Was pretty much a free class where we played games all day.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    The Sims 3
    My daughter & I never heard about the Sims games until we discovered Sims 3 Diesel in EB Game Store at the mall. Now we both play the Sims 4 games & sometimes just our faves from Sims 3 that Sims 4 still doesn't have.
  • MortimerGothMortimerGoth Posts: 80 Member
    The Sims on PS2. Then I 'upgraded' to the PC version.

I don't think my first game influenced how I feel about the direction of the franchise. The console version was quite restrictive and goal-based, whereas I prefer a more open game.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited July 2020
    The Sims 1
    I loved The Sims when it first came out as it was all so much simpler then. I managed to use batch files to change colours of objects like the Vibromatic Heart Bed. I changed one to shades of blue! I didn't want it to end. I didn't understand what Drew Carey or jumping out of cakes was in those days though.

I would have preferred later iterations to be better upgrades of 2 personally.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Would not want to go back to those days. I remember it had very limited gameplay back in the day.