Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Exactly is the Purpose of the Museum Lot?

Comments

• Options
    SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    I built a Norman style castle in windenburg which I’ve made a museum very much like uk and European castles where you visit and see the rooms and chambers as they were. I send my sims there for a day out to look around or paint from the top of the towers. It also has the ghost lot trait so for sims who visit at night get spooked.

Ooh, is it on the gallery?
    banner.png
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    I don't really use the museum's either but if i have create sims i like to have a 2 floor museum one for the viewing of paintings and the other for art spaces/study or classrooms where sims can "take" art classes.

If i have a more nerdy/collector sim i like to fill it with the collections.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited July 2020
    netney52 wrote: »
    I built a Norman style castle in windenburg which I’ve made a museum very much like uk and European castles where you visit and see the rooms and chambers as they were. I send my sims there for a day out to look around or paint from the top of the towers. It also has the ghost lot trait so for sims who visit at night get spooked.

Ooh, is it on the gallery?

It is but it’s not amazing I’m not great with 64x64 builds and it’s the only castle I’ve ever built. I found a lot of them too fussy on the gallery so I built a really basic one. It’s a build I want to go back and re-edit now my building skills have got a bit better.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I never use museums, or libraries. In my template save, I'm keeping 1 of each. In total, not in each world. I never see any reason for my sims to visit any of them.

For my sims' own paintings and collections, I use a generic lot, since there will be no other visitors.
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I dont ever really visit them during gameplay, but I have built a couple for my sims to store their collections. I play legacy, but I change houses for each generation, so it's really hard to keep all the items that generations have collected over the years. So I build a museum and put different collections in different rooms so my collections and family pictures are all preserved (really good for looking back at photos of sims from previous generations).

They can be good if you put a bar in it, for a posh date/proposal venue, and if you put some activity tables in there too then it can be a place to go and work on practical skills. I have an archeology bench in my Salvadorada room, an easel in my paintings room, microscope in my science room, observatory on the roof next to my space room... Oh and some tents so my sims can camp 'Night at the Museum' stylie ;)
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I've mostly deleted them and replaced them with restaurants, bars, nightblubs and other lots. There's not much point to them.
    It would be cool if you could put your artist sims paintings and sculptures in them, and they'd gain fame through that.
    I also wish you could add your author sims books to the library.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »
    I never use museums, or libraries. In my template save, I'm keeping 1 of each. In total, not in each world. I never see any reason for my sims to visit any of them.

For my sims' own paintings and collections, I use a generic lot, since there will be no other visitors.

I add things to my libraries that are too expensive to have on the home lot; for example the new research computer that came with DU because my lawyer needs to use that to research current case and it's 12K Simoleons which is out of her budget. I stuck a couple upstairs at the Willow Creek library in my test save; I need to go into my template save and modify a few buildings to add those and maybe the crafting items from EL. (I had an Art and Science Center in Newcrest on the 50x40 lot, but that might become a crafting center.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Liltab1121Liltab1121 Posts: 3,131 Member
    There are museums? *wipes forehead* Never knew!
    259g3le.gif
  • Options
    FallsmyerFallsmyer Posts: 22 Member
    > @crocobaura said:
    > I always thought museums were there to store and display your collections. When I used to play painter sims, if they ever pained some Masterpiece, it would go in a museum for display.

This is a great idea! I have played several painters in TS4, but never thought to take their masterpieces to a museum and personally put them on display, I usually just sell them to gallery or collector and get rich and then get bored and move on to their child. I will definitely have to attempt to fully decorate a museum with my own art now.

As for other uses for museums, I tend to keep 3-4 throughout the game. I love the idea of a cinematography museum in Del Sol; since I live in Los Angeles and am very used to the Hollywood museums and such. I also keep the one in Brindleton Bay, though I spruce it up and add a bit more to it. Lastly, I keep one more museum for art and my art club (which has view art and paint as their two activities). It's all about how you play and creating a story to make use of the different venues. If you don't use them then you should definitely take them out and replace them with whatever you like. With the new Eco pack, I have thought about reducing the number of museums I play with, probably going to replace the one in Willow Creek with a community lot!
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    I use a museum for my kleptomaniac art thief Sim. When the night comes she puts on black clothes and a mask and goes to a museum and steals paintings or sculptures or whatever pieces of art is available. She sells them in her retail store.
    I also use the Willow Creek museum as a wedding venue sometimes.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I have a couple of Museums

City Hall (mainly use as an office space or a place to hold official Gatherings)
    Cathedrals (Baptism, Wedding, and Funeral Venues, underneath the Cathedral is a Crypt, where I store my deceased, and Magical Artifacts)
    School But I may convert it into a Library, Sort of like an "Active School" Kind of a Thing.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    I haven’t gotten to it yet but I plan to fill up the museum in Selvadorada with artifacts. Otherwise, I don’t use museums much. I’m planning on a haunted house in Forgotten Hollow but again, I haven’t gotten there yet. I prefer the art centre for more art lover activities. I have a Science museum with rocket ships in Oasis Springs that I’m working on but it is a park. The other church/graveyards I have are parks or nature parks.
  • Options
    ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    I have a fascination with ancient Egyptian stuff...and was spotting lots of it like mummies, pharoh's busts, tomb wallpaper,etc., one day while searching for other cc. I decided to go back and pick up as much as I could find and put in on a large lot (wall sections for artwork and wall hangings) back at the corner of the lot. I decided I could build an Ancient Egyptian Museum - and still have stuff left over. I used large triangular windows and staggered their heights so they kind of looked like a field of pyramids :smiley: I always throw in a kitchenette, a couple of tables, coffee and tea stations, rest rooms, and a 4-computer study area. Technically, a sim could spend the day there but I never send my sims there :D Instead I occasionally go in and admire it myself :p It's complete with kiosk columns in the front. So I visit the museum; they don't!
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I have a fascination with ancient Egyptian stuff...and was spotting lots of it like mummies, pharoh's busts, tomb wallpaper,etc., one day while searching for other cc. I decided to go back and pick up as much as I could find and put in on a large lot (wall sections for artwork and wall hangings) back at the corner of the lot. I decided I could build an Ancient Egyptian Museum - and still have stuff left over. I used large triangular windows and staggered their heights so they kind of looked like a field of pyramids :smiley: I always throw in a kitchenette, a couple of tables, coffee and tea stations, rest rooms, and a 4-computer study area. Technically, a sim could spend the day there but I never send my sims there :D Instead I occasionally go in and admire it myself :p It's complete with kiosk columns in the front. So I visit the museum; they don't!

Why not turn it into a themed cafe, bar, or restaurant. For a restaurant you could even design the waiter's outfits and you could have Cleopatra or Ra as your hostess?
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    It's good for some specialty lots, like an aquarium. I kind of want to make a zoo, too, but I need to search for more zoo animal deco. I really don't like actual museums in the sims...boooooring.

bacebc659aea8ce668e43728920e380acda3e2a0.png
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    You should keep one at least because it's required as a step in completing the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration.
    I use to use them as a place to take dates before we got more venues. Now mostly my wanderers land there I usually put out more easels so you can paint without buying an easel (can help if your sim is poor).
    I think it's nice too in general because we do have museums in real life so ... it doesn't have to be there but some people will want and use it.

If the person doesn't mind using cheats, they can use MCC to mark the current stage of the aspiration as fulfilled. I do that for some of the goals that don't seem like real achievements to me -- so I do the rest, then just knock off the last one via MCC.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    My museums serve double duty usually. One is a wedding venue, one is a bank (with vaults from GF so my sims don't have to have them in home), and one is a school (filled with skill up items). There's some traditional museums in my game but I normally don't go to any of those, just my special 3 that I'd built and they're only there for their other purposes, not to "view art" ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I always use my museums for dates, but it only changes between two of them :P

I would replace the ones i don't go to that often, but I'm bad at building and a bit too lazy to go search for other community lots instead lol
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Any idea what should I do to make them interesting? Do you also use museums in the game?

Yes, I use museums. You can add different objects to them to make them more usable or even interesting. I might add some pictures later as I don't recall what I did with them.

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Fallsmyer wrote: »
    > @crocobaura said:
    > I always thought museums were there to store and display your collections. When I used to play painter sims, if they ever pained some Masterpiece, it would go in a museum for display.

This is a great idea! I have played several painters in TS4, but never thought to take their masterpieces to a museum and personally put them on display, I usually just sell them to gallery or collector and get rich and then get bored and move on to their child. I will definitely have to attempt to fully decorate a museum with my own art now.

As for other uses for museums, I tend to keep 3-4 throughout the game. I love the idea of a cinematography museum in Del Sol; since I live in Los Angeles and am very used to the Hollywood museums and such. I also keep the one in Brindleton Bay, though I spruce it up and add a bit more to it. Lastly, I keep one more museum for art and my art club (which has view art and paint as their two activities). It's all about how you play and creating a story to make use of the different venues. If you don't use them then you should definitely take them out and replace them with whatever you like. With the new Eco pack, I have thought about reducing the number of museums I play with, probably going to replace the one in Willow Creek with a community lot!

If I'm not selling the masterpieces, I save them on a generic lot (usually in a basement) then when I have a good selection, I create an art gallery where my Sims can shop for them. That way, if I have multiple painters in a save all of them can save their work and it feels more realistic.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2020
    I like to have a few museums for my art lover and history buff sims. I think they are a great venue for dates, family days out, history/art club hangouts, and showcasing collectibles. Archaeologist sims might go there to work on their skill or give lectures. Art lovers might go to view art and improve their painting or woodworking skills. Geeky sims might go to a science museum to work on their logic, rocket science, and robotics skills. Outdoor lovers might walk around the gardens and then sit outside with a cake and drink from the café. There are a lot of possibilities, but I agree it would be nice to have more activities for museums, especially for children and teens. I would also love a museum curator career.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Honestly the Art Centres that came with City Living I find to be like a Museum Lot 2.0. They have all the functionality of a Museum plus more. Art Centres are one of my favourite lot types in the game because they’re incredibly versatile, they can act as a museum, cafe, a community centre, etc.
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I remember back in 2014(!) the game was promoted as having less emphasis on careers and rabbithole buildings to make room for the fantastic emotion system. No Hogan's diner. No theater, grocery, school, career rabbitholes. Instead we got lounges, bars, libraries and museums. The thing is the libraries and museums don't really have any unique social activities.
  • Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I made a science museum, I set the lot as restaurant and had a museum cafe on top floor selling coffee, cakes, sandwiches etc. The other two floors I filled with science items and electronic stuff like the gaming mat thingy that my sims never buy. I used it for family outings at weekend and a good place for chess club and rocket building club. It worked pretty well.
  • Options
    A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Why not turn it into a themed cafe, bar, or restaurant. For a restaurant you could even design the waiter's outfits and you could have Cleopatra or Ra as your hostess?

That’s what I’ve got planned for the one in Del Sol. Make it like a Planet Hollywood type restaurant.

Otherwise I’ll turn them into community arts centers. I’ll put in all the musical instruments and easels and crafting tables and the kid’s art tables and there’s even a toddler nook with the blocks and tablets. This way my poorer sims have access to these things until they can afford to buy them.