The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims too childish now? Teen & Adult players have been forgotten

1234568...Next

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2020
    So this is fun, thread made it into a fun Youtube video now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tjGaxtcHEc
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Take away woohoo (includes try for baby and that teen inclusive equivalent one) and fight interactions, and I can GUARANTEE the game would be eligible to warrant a rating E for everyone :) (:
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Take away woohoo (includes try for baby and that teen inclusive equivalent one) and fight interactions, and I can GUARANTEE the game would be eligible to warrant a rating E for everyone :) (:

I still wouldn't let very young kids play because of the deaths. My almost 6 year old would be extremely traumatized by seeing them freeze to death etc. Or an elderly grandma sim she loves playing die of old age, etc. Young kids find it harder to seperate reality from non-reality. If you took out deaths and grim as well, then I would agree.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    How I miss the challenge and story telling possibilities with Sims 2. With Sims 4 chat up another Sim any Sim and a minute later the Sim no matter their traits will instantly fall in love evil sim or good sim really does not matter, love or hates animals they truly don't care and have no conflict or awareness of any of these issues.
    Yoonkicat wrote: »
    Guys you can make the game more " mature "...Just install mods and 🌺🌺🌺🌺 if you want to have more fun ;)
    That's not what people are asking for though. We want more meaningful game play through activities that give challenge and smarter Sims less angry poop.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

I still wouldn't let very young kids play because of the deaths. My almost 6 year old would be extremely traumatized by seeing them freeze to death etc. Or an elderly grandma sim she loves playing die of old age, etc. Young kids find it harder to seperate reality from non-reality. If you took out deaths and grim as well, then I would agree.

Only kids not taught properly that video games are not reality are effected. My kids think death in the sims games are laughable. In fact, when they get stressed, the first thing my 7 year old asks if if she can kill some sims today. They use gaming as a way to relieve stress. But then, my irl household teaches that gaming is not reality.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member

Only kids not taught properly that video games are not reality are effected. My kids think death in the sims games are laughable. In fact, when they get stressed, the first thing my 7 year old asks if if she can kill some sims today. They use gaming as a way to relieve stress. But then, my irl household teaches that gaming is not reality.

This is why I don't think Maxis should move away from cartoonish type of Sims. I've just been reading of some of the toxic feedback a voice artist actor is getting for "The last of us" which is in very realistic mode. Kids, and even adults need to be able to draw a line between games and reality otherwise it is bad for their mental health.

I can't see The Sims as a brand being allowed to go back to the original "The Sims" vibe. It's too long ago. I don't think that was really aimed at younger people anyway but it was attacked a lot, even by USA Senators wanting it censored, as younger kids took to it and loved it and it got some shady kind of cc & mods.

I don't know about being too childish now but it is certainly getting more complicated to play with the latest eco pack.

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I will say that I prefer a more adult approach to the game. I ignore things that are really silly or childish. I do like some whimsy though.

I'm not a supernatural player but I like having a lot of different settings and the ability to play things out in a way that interests me.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

Kids are all different. Some can handle it, some can't. It's nothing to do with teachiing a kid what's real, some are truly unable to differentiate the emotions. They KNOW it's not real, but still have feelings for their little characters and get attached to them. I teach my kid real/not real, we even go over things like Santa not being real as soon as they are old enough for their first Christmas (and continue every year), but knowledge and emotions aren't always related and kids with more imagination have more trouble with this because the characters truly "come to life" for them.

E games are rated that for "Everyone". Animal Crossing is an example and I love playing that with my kid, but there's a huge difference in the content between AC and Sims and Sims needs a higher rating than it, because the subject matter is too much for many youngsters to handle. (AND AC is the one with full frontal human nudity haha in it's art pieces hahaha! https://www.polygon.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-acnh-guide/2020/4/23/21231433/redd-jolly-museum-art-fake-real-forgeries-list-complete-painting-statue#YCb9WQ)

An E rating would suggest it's okay for any kid to play and some parents wouldn't even review the content before letting kids play something rated E. Something like sims doesn't fit that category.

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I'm 50/50, I don't think the game is really that childish but I would like to see more drama and more depth to the game. Give me some chaos please!
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'm 50/50, I don't think the game is really that childish but I would like to see more drama and more depth to the game. Give me some chaos please!

I think the Gurus really missunderstand this request when they read it. With more chaos and drama we mean more impact from action and even negative impact and just unexpected things or challenges.

We don't mean the neighborhood brawl, the NAPs, the Murphy bed animation that failed 99% of the time. This is where the devs get it wrong.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?