Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WEEKLY BUILD QUESTION SET - 6/13

oliv3oliv3 Posts: 106 Member
edited June 2020 in The Sims 3 Builders
HELLO MY FELLOW SIMMERS!

I thought of maybe starting a question set related to building once a week to gain insight into other builders, spark conversations and increase positive traffic to the rest of T3S building discussion posts.

My idea is that the first page along with the title on this discussion will be updated with a set of questions once a week and you all including myself are free to answer the questions.
  • The question set will expire once the next set of questions are posted.
  • You don't have to answer the whole set of questions, you may pick and choose.
  • Feel free to discuss/interact with other peoples' responses.

Question set - 6/13:
1. What style of residential homes do you enjoy creating?
2. What room do you find the most challenging to decorate?
3. What terrain paint do you find yourself using the most?
4. What has been your favorite building challenge to participate in?

This discussion is NOT intended for people to ask building questions, please refer to the tutorial post - LIST OF TUTORIALS OR HOW DO I DO THAT?

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited June 2020
    Hi @oliv3 -
    1. I like to build smaller homes - think tiny houses, but without the foot stomping lack of routing. I also like to find floor plans and recreate the parts I like and adjust the other parts. I love a good modern with lots of unusual aspects not seen a lot.
    2. I guess it would be a rec room that might be the most challenging as you have to choose what to use and what there isn't room for.
    3. I use the dirt one most, I think, to put under trees, in the garden, and around things; but I also use the pavers and flagstone for driveways and walks as well as the sidewalk and asphalt ones.
    4. I like @seaben's shell challenges where you have to really think outside the box to make something logical and I occasionally like the build and share challenges; but my very favorite challenges are @SamelaRita's renovation challenges where you build a bit at a time as the family gets money.

Are you going to share yours?
  • oliv3oliv3 Posts: 106 Member
    @Ciane -
    Recreating floor plans are one my favorites to do in the Sims as well! I search all over the web and find a few, but they never turn out like the actual plan. This could be due to my difficulty of trying to convert real homes to the sims or wanting to put my own spin on things.

I love downloading homes from your studio! You’re a creative builder and enjoy seeing what you come up with!

Shared my answers to the question set below, I didn’t know if this thread would get any traffic and wanted to see before doing so!
    Thank you for sharing!!
  • oliv3oliv3 Posts: 106 Member
    1. Right now, I enjoy creating realistic suburban homes. I go through phases of building a certain style than branch off or away. In the past, I used to create a lot of European homes as well as modern homes.
    2. I find the family room/living room the most challenging. Not sure what it is, but I have difficulty placing and finding furniture that I like together. I have all the EPs just can’t seem to find a conceive lay out sometimes.
    3. Like @ciane, I also love the dirt terrain paint. Don’t love dirt in real life, but in the sims, it just makes things more realistic.
    4. I have only participated in @seaben 's challenges and its always a treat looking at others’ builds. The foundations can be crazy at times, but that’s definitely the thrill of the challenge. I am looking forward to the July shell challenge! I would like to participate in the build n share challenge, but unable to do so this month. Hopefully, July’s challenge will be my first entry! I would love to hear more about @samualrita ‘s renovation challenges. Is there a thread? NEED to know! :)

People are so creative, and this community is so awesome to allow people to share this aspect of their lives!
  • seabenseaben Posts: 631 Member
    edited June 2020
    Aww @oliv3 you mentioned me in your tread well I might as well take the quiz my style jumps back and forth for homes it definitely is impacted by the challenge I'm doing I'd say I like modern and Victorian houses for playing in but I also like crafts man and ranch style builds for playing in I'd say same the living room is challenging for builds I'd say for terrain paint I use them equally or I use cabble stone a little more my favorite thing to build for was the Orient express callabaration by @soocoolsim even though it wasn't a challenge it was my favorite building project on the forum :)
    my sims 3 shell challenges https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974534/the-sims-3-shell-challenge-corner-challenge-4-due-july-31th/p1 or check out my sims blog https://seabensims.wordpress.com/ my Wishlist is seaben06 on the sims 3 store and my oid is also seaben06
    You stopped by before I did and have the link already. You are awesome @Hidehi. I did really mean to add the link in my post. Don't know why I didn't. Squirrel!
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    Found my name here and liked the questions you were asking, so @oliv3 here's my answers.
    1. I tend to build very dilapidated homes that need serious TLC. I do like doing farmhouse style places and also historical ones - any period!
    2. Never thought about this before. Probably dining rooms, because it's hard to make them look lived-in.
    3. I have a few CC ones that I use loads, all by CycloneSue at TSR. Basically, they're all really grungy! When the house and garden have been re-done, I really like the cobbles with grass in between them.
    4. I haven't done many challenges because of time constraints. @ciane I'm really flattered that you like my renovacy challenge so much! Seaben's shell challenge looks fun, but I'm wary of biting off more than I can chew, and just not delivering on time.
  • seabenseaben Posts: 631 Member
    @samelarita I'd love to see more shell challenge entrys so if they don't meet the deadline it's fine it's just general because of when I post new shell challenges :)
    my sims 3 shell challenges https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974534/the-sims-3-shell-challenge-corner-challenge-4-due-july-31th/p1 or check out my sims blog https://seabensims.wordpress.com/ my Wishlist is seaben06 on the sims 3 store and my oid is also seaben06
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    I really love it when people include their own unique custom builds in the worlds they create. I’ve gotten tired of people just reusing EA’s. What do you guys enjoy creating more, homes or venues and which poses a greater challenge for you?
    @Damienf519 - I like building homes more. Greater challenge? It depends. Am I trying to recreate a certain look, stay within a particular budget, use only base game items, or build the smallest functional lot possible? A venue is probably a greater challenge as I don't do them as much.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    edited July 2020
    @ciane
    kind of the exact opposite for me, because I have to include so much more in my homes, especially if I’m not going to use the same wall paper in every single room. I think it would be a lot easier for most people to make the smallest possible fully functional venue, than the smallest possible house. The resorts might be an exception to that rule.

Most of my bars for example are much smaller than the ones EA made. Most of mine are just one small, to medium sized room, plus a couple of bathrooms, and I’m still able to include all the instruments for the band, plus a professional bar, two to three tables for four sims and a couple of games. If it’s a bar, or a shop, I also like to create the illusion that there’s more than one venue on the same lot, to make it more realistic, and the world look more believable, since even in small towns, most commercial venues such as a single shop or a single bar, don’t have an entire building dedicated to them.
    Post edited by Damienf519 on