Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason I'll be harder on Sims than Paralives.

The reason I'm going to be less hard, and more forgiving on Paralives.Is because the Paralives team is small, and it's new.Why the sims team is not small, has more funds.The franchise is 20 years.And I think the reason why people are hard on Sims 4,and franchise.Is because it has been 20 years.It feels the game hasn't made the progress for 20 years old

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    As a buyer, the only reason i can be more forgiving with one game compared to other is if it's cheaper. If it's the same price i, as a buyer, will be as hard with one game as the other. I'm sorry, but i don't really care if the team is small or if it's an indie game.

That being said i hope it is as fantastic as it is being marketed. But i did read on their page that they're not going to include some stuff that i find weird that is not being included in a sims game as of now, like third person view... well, let's just wait and give them time to work peacefully...
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    As a buyer, the only reason i can be more forgiving with one game compared to other is if it's cheaper. If it's the same price i, as a buyer, will be as hard with one game as the other. I'm sorry, but i don't really care if the team is small or if it's an indie game.

That being said i hope it is as fantastic as it is being marketed. But i did read on their page that they're not going to include some stuff that i find weird that is not being included in a sims game as of now, like third person view... well, let's just wait and give them time to work peacefully...

I agree with this. I'm waiting to see the price. If the game is not as good and leaves a lot out, that's understandable with a smaller team, but also means it shouldn't cost as much (and they have less employees to pay and less expenses as well so it should be cheaper)

But yeah, we'll see. So far from what I've seen I'm sorta "meh" if I like it or not. Some stuff looks great, other stuff not so great, which is fine if it doesn't come with the same price tag as Sims 4.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The reason I'm going to be less hard, and more forgiving on Paralives.Is because the Paralives team is small, and it's new.Why the sims team is not small, has more funds.The franchise is 20 years.And I think the reason why people are hard on Sims 4,and franchise.Is because it has been 20 years.It feels the game hasn't made the progress for 20 years old

For me EA/Maxis threw in the towel and failed to tweak the game in an timely period and instead of adding new with old, they cut everything. Also they saw an way to make more money by selling neighborhoods instead of allowing the end user to create their own. Now one has to wait months for some space. I can't seriously say Sims 4 has an total technical edge when it does not over it predecessors as the tech in Sims 3 was ahead of it's time and 32 bit Imho was not the best to play Sims 3 in and also Devs missteps in programming it. Most of Sims 4 packs are hit and miss for me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm planning on trying Paralives, because I like simulation games. I'll watch for the price point and might wait awhile after release, it depends on what has my interest at the time really. I'll also want to see if they plan DLC... if it's going to copy the Sims in that way or I get that impression that that is coming I'll wait much longer to buy because at this point the art style still isn't grabbing me and I'm not a builder.
    I don't need to be forgiving or talk it down at all. I'm sure they will get my money eventually. I'm not going to cry over a miss spent 20-60 bucks even if I don't like it but chose to buy. Probably if it's over 40 I'll wait for a sale unless people that I know and usually agree with are raving about it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    Paralives will do just fine over on Steam. It will depend on whether Maxis gets all the newbie players and or if Paralives captures them over on Steam, once the game is ready. EA/Maxis is going to require you install Origin even if you use Steam to play TS4. And TS5 might just be a console game for PS5 at release. I read that many players old and new like Steam and don't like Origin. Now, which game would attract new players more if many more people like Steam better than Origin? I can see that maybe Paralives has a better chance of getting brand new players new to a life simulator than an established company that makes you install both downloader systems, and has a sketchy reputation of not building games that are problem free.

I'm harder on this series because I know Maxis can do better than they did with TS3 or TS4 as far as bugs and ideas and actually sticking to the roots of The Sims. Both games had great ideas, but implementation of those ideas seem to me not to be up to snuff with what Maxis did with TS1 and or TS2, both later games seem to be riddled with more bugs, flaws and just not thinking about and or fleshing out features. And though I don't love TS3 it was a huge game after TS2 and the right way to go I suppose, with open worlds and CASt, but because of those things players lost a lot of the nuance of The Sims personalties and or animations etc.
    TS4 doesn't have any excuse of why it should be flawed and or lack animations and or interactions and or fully fleshed out gameplay when it's a closed world system and tiny 'worlds' ten times smaller than any 'world' in TS2. So, yeah, it hasn't lived up to all that was promised. Paralives might be a passing interest but if they can gain new players from Steam I suspect it will do just fine.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Makes sense to me. But I also think too many people put too high faith in Paralives as a save-all, its a small team and it'll take ages. Which is fine, but I don't think it'll turn out to be this super-amazing-ultra version of Sims anytime soon. If Im wrong, that'll be great! I'm happy to see more simulation games since I love them!

me to the more the better
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Really at this point everything they have done puts Sims 4 to shame the customization on creating lots and objects being able to put names on grave stones and Christmas stockings is amazing color wheel and so on for me its hard to be hard on something in early development that's putting in the work and everything being done right. Even the latest from going from day to night with details like crickets chirping everything is so detailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQjMVxwYbU
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I just hope Paralives can compete. The Sims can use some healthy competition. The Sims is a very niche game but has appeal across all age groups which is really why it does well. I think the competition will force them to make a better game or people will just move on to Paralives.

I do have some concerns because EA is pretty cold-hearted. They don't have a problem getting rid of games...just look at Sims city and shelved Mass Effect. If Paralives takes the players, I wouldn't be surprised if EA just stopped making more Sims iterations.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I so want Sims 4 to have competition as well, because they need to step up their game & seriously start improving the game with better ideas & themes.
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited July 2020
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I so want Sims 4 to have competition as well, because they need to step up their game & seriously start improving the game with better ideas & themes.

This! The market has been cornered for waaaay too long. I hope that Paralives does well, not for the sake of the game but for the sake of the Sims. I'm fairly certain Paralives is either gonna flop trying to match up to a big company, or sweep it away and do a lot better. Fingers crossed for either. I primarily play indie and simulation-type games, so will probably buy Paralives anyway because it's the kind of thing I tend to like.
    banner.png
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yes competition will do the Sims team good and even though I would love Paralives to be everything it promises I still have alot of doubts about the game. The team is just so small and I don't know what they are capable of. They've been releasing teaser after teaser and I'm getting suspicious.
    Also the "healthy competition" won't come anytime soon since Paralives hasn't been able to show facial customization or actual gameplay so far and the AI and gameplay is the most important part in life-simulators. This is gonna take a looong time.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Really at this point everything they have done puts Sims 4 to shame the customization on creating lots and objects being able to put names on grave stones and Christmas stockings is amazing color wheel and so on for me its hard to be hard on something in early development that's putting in the work and everything being done right. Even the latest from going from day to night with details like crickets chirping everything is so detailed.

We haven't seen anything in terms of game play yet in Paralives, so I personally wouldn't go as far to say that it's putting Sims 4 to shame, I will admit the customization and graphics look INCREDIBLE and gets me really excited, but until I see actual game play I will reserve judgement. Sure the base game will have things like pets, boats, and a bunch of other things that The Sims 4 base game doesn't have, but more doesn't always mean better. I'm more interested to see how things like careers, skills, relationships and personalities will work, if they can win me over in these areas then I'll consider shaming Sims 4 <3
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

We haven't seen anything in terms of game play yet in Paralives, so I personally wouldn't go as far to say that it's putting Sims 4 to shame, I will admit the customization and graphics look INCREDIBLE and gets me really excited, but until I see actual game play I will reserve judgement. Sure the base game will have things like pets, boats, and a bunch of other things that The Sims 4 base game doesn't have, but more doesn't always mean better. I'm more interested to see how things like careers, skills, relationships and personalities will work, if they can win me over in these areas then I'll consider shaming Sims 4 <3

I agree even though I hope Paralives lives up to the hype, but one has to wait for the finished product and see what it offers first.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    I agree. How is it that a small team to produce so many features? Yet a big company just corners and blame it on budget. No, sorry I don't believe it.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Regardless if the price is as much as or less than or even, considering some of the things they plan to have at launch, a bit more than The Sims games I still won't be as hard on Paralives as I will be on The Sims. They don't have a 20+ year franchise they've been steadily regressing on. They're new and indie so they have way more room with me to get things situated and just like I felt about The Sims 4 base game, they can take all the time they need. I'm fine with waiting.

I actually think Paralives will be pretty good in its own right if they take their time to do things right for their future consumers. I feel I'll like it if I play it, even if I don't necessarily like the idea of having to use Steam. Having another life simulator game will be fun too. But I think how much faith and hope so many people have in Paralives says more about just how little faith and hope those people have in The Sims 4 or even a Sims 5 now. Sadly, I feel better about the future of Paralives right now than I do about the future of The Sims.

I don't want Paralives, even if it turns out to be the best game ever, to kill or retire The Sims. I just want EA to do better by Sims players. If they see Paralives or any other life simulator game as competition enough to make them do better by us that's only a win for life simulator players in my book.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2020
    I have low expectations for Paralives to be honest. People don't understand how hard it is to create interesting gameplay, at the moment it's a pretty looking build simulator but that's about it.
    It'll most likely take them a very long time to create the gameplay as that's the hardest part to create and make function fluidly and most importantly will this gameplay be fun to play with?
    I also hope they take more creative liberties with it in the future of development instead of making it into a clone/knockoff of the sims, I'd like to see interesting competition that brings something new to the table rather than a copycat.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I have low expectations for Paralives to be honest. People don't understand how hard it is to create interesting gameplay, at the moment it's a pretty looking build simulator but that's about it.
    It'll most likely take them a very long time to create the gameplay as that's the hardest part to create and make function fluidly and most importantly will this gameplay be fun to play with?
    I also hope they take more creative liberties with it in the future of development instead of making it into a clone/knockoff of the sims, I'd like to see interesting competition that brings something new to the table rather than a copycat.

Yeah, not to put too fine a point on it, but Paralives, at least right now, is just a glorified level editor.
    You can make nice houses, and the people are....................... fine................... but there's no gameplay yet.

I'll be equally hard on Paralives as The Sims, because if they want my money, honestly, it has to be better than The Sims. Not "better IF Maxis had the same team size/budget", but actually a better game.

If it's not better than The Sims, I ain't interested.

I love Cities Skylines because it's better than SimCity. Like, objectively better. It's more challenging, more visually interesting, and overall more engaging to play. I love Stardew Valley because it's a million times better than Harvest Moon.

If Paralives wants my money, it's got to give The Sims a run for its money. I'm not interested in dropping The Sims to play worse game just because it has a smaller team and therefore its weaker gameplay is somehow fine.

I want a better game.
    wJbomAo.png
  • pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    I want to try paralives. I know it a small team and maybe its not a sim game like I used to like... but mehh neither is sims 4 so... For now Im in love with My Time at Portia. If this game, an indie game overcome the sims 4 (for me ofcourse) paralives ca do it aswell
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited July 2020
    Onverser wrote: »

You are going to have similarity to the sims.Because it's a life simulator.I have faith to it, because it seems there putting effort in to it.The paras are being worked on.They are going to take there own liberties, and style.Like the sun look like a dog.All the electronics have a symbol like ad
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    pandie00 wrote: »
    I want to try paralives. I know it a small team and maybe its not a sim game like I used to like... but mehh neither is sims 4 so... For now Im in love with My Time at Portia. If this game, an indie game overcome the sims 4 (for me ofcourse) paralives ca do it aswell

Off Topic: I wanted to thank you for this post. I tried My Time at Portia over the weekend. It's nothing like The Sims, however, it is an amazing game! It immediately hooked me in a way that Stardew Valley never did. I foresee that I'll be sinking a lot of my free time into it. :D

My Time at Portia (and Frostfall) has helped to lessen the sting of watching my favorite franchise morph into...something else. Again, thanks for the tip.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Cynna wrote: »
    pandie00 wrote: »

Off Topic: I wanted to thank you for this post. I tried My Time at Portia over the weekend. It's nothing like The Sims, however, it is an amazing game! It immediately hooked me in a way that Stardew Valley never did. I foresee that I'll be sinking a lot of my free time into it. :D

My Time at Portia (and Frostfall) has helped to lessen the sting of watching my favorite franchise morph into...something else. Again, thanks for the tip.

I recommend My time at port is as well.Its like stardewvalley.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    did any of you see Maggie's reveal from May?

Basically the Paralives going to have
    colour wheel and open world of Sims 3
    game play like sims 2 for all ages

and it will run on low-end computers
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »

It's supposed to have a teen rating. I saw all the updates.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

It's supposed to have a teen rating. I saw all the updates.

yes that as well, its aiming for a teen rating. Also please remember the game is only is pre-alpha which means its early in development. So please keep your panties on about Paralives
    6adMCGP.gif