Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question on ghosts and culling

Full disclosure I had a bad experience when they first added ghosts that may have me being overly cautious. My objective is to let my sims die, keep their headstones in a little private cemetery on my lot and let the ghosts from the cemetery randomly make an appearance on the lot at the stroke of midnight. This is to my understanding the way it's designed to be done, however I have a concern about those ghost sims being culled because they are not technically members of the family once they die and their tombstone/urn is placed.

So my question, do sims tied to a grave stone or urn on your lot, but are not actually members of your family get culled by the game? Or does leaving the tombstone or urn out on your lot signal to the game that you don't want those sims culled? If there is no in game way of preventing your ghost sims from being culled, is there a mod that might accomplish that? Thanks all in advance for your responses.

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    It happened to me in my current save, possibly because I rotate between various households and didn't have the chance to secure the ghost whilst maintaining my schedule. I managed to salvage the headstone for a particular sim who died of the cold and place it in her home lot but when I went in to check the family tree, she was missing.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited June 2020
    If you have the urns and tombstones you won't have a problem. Just now and then you might get a message that their spirit is fading and you click on the urn/tombstone and strengthen the connection to the physical world. I just click on them now and then in general just in case to see if that message is there... but the game should warn you if they are about to be culled. The real problem is if you don't have an urn or tombstone so you are in good shape.
    Oh just wanted to add they don't have to be members of your family... as long as you have the urn/tombstone.
    egTcBMc.png
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    From my understanding, I think you can just go to the manage households and favourite those ghosts and they will not get culled.
    he/him
  • jmac2727jmac2727 Posts: 306 Member
    Ahhh and it sounds like that happened recently, so basically . . . if you choose to leave a headstone or urn on your lot with expectation that the ghosts will continue visiting you each night . . . be prepared those sims might be culled. I think I'll just save the sim to my gallery before they die so if I ever want to add them back into my game I can.... The visiting ghosts mechanic sounded like a REALLY awesome way to get an occasional visit from your prior generations .. I really love that idea, I wish they had implemented it correctly *sigh*
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    From my understanding, I think you can just go to the manage households and favourite those ghosts and they will not get culled.

Though ghosts are in a hidden household, so you won't be able to do that. Unless you add the ghost to your household and move them out...
  • jmac2727jmac2727 Posts: 306 Member
    @Hermitgirl So, if I remember my original problem with ghosts happened while playing multiple households. If you leave a urn or gravestone on one household's lot and then go to play another household, then after enough time passes it culls the ghost from the original household because they are not technically members of the household and the lot that has the tombstone/urn hasn't been played in awhile, the ghosts get culled.

Which if you wanted to leave the ghost on the lot for the occasional midnight visit (Which was the original way the ghosts were supposed to work) it would eventually prevent you from doing that if you played multiple households.

From what I've heard so far it sounds like that still happens, again I don't think ghosts were ever really implemented correctly, which is a shame. If I'm incorrect in anything I just said here please let me know, but it sounds like the issue never got corrected.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I have a private cemetery in my sim's lot with family members and a couple of headstones of the premades that lived and died there before. All of them visit my sim's house after midnight (one or two per night. I never had them all visiting at once). But only my sim's family members received messages warning that their spirit was fading. The couple of premades that lived there before just faded without me noticing it. I guess if i had been strengthning their connection to the physical world once in a while i could have kept their souls around...
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2020
    If you use MCCC to flag a ghost not to be culled (like you can do with regular sims) do you still need to strengthen their connection to the physical world using the tombstone/urn?
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    If you use MCCC to flag a ghost not to be culled (like you can do with regular sims) do you still need to strengthen their connection to the physical world using the tombstone/urn?

I have no idea. Im not using mccc.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    You could turn off culling and if it gets to glitchy manually delete other sims
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Make sure to have plenty of money for repair persons, though. Some ghosts have an habit of destroying objects.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Make sure to have plenty of money for repair persons, though. Some ghosts have an habit of destroying objects.

Or you could use this cheat

traits.equip_trait FreeServices
    It doesn't need cheats activated
    Then hire a repairman from your phone ( under hire a service )
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king