Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WHERE'S THE SIMS 5????

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    sims 4 didn't have that, maxis almost closed down during the early 2010s cause simcity was so poorly received and sims 4 barely made it out alive.

Where did you read that ?

SimCity (2013) sold more than 2 million units, too many players for EA servers.
    Just Maxis failed to put enough server online to allow the players to play and they took too much to give an Offline Mode and allow the mods.

Maxis Emeryville was closed in 2015
    https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

@LeGardePourpre It sucked though. Was panned by almost the whole planet except for IGN.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited June 2020
    @SimmerGeorge

Okay although the reviews were very positive before the launch day.

For example Eurogamer gave 10/10 before changing it to 4/10 two weeks later.
    A fantastic city simulation that meets all expectations. So perfectly balanced it makes it easy to pick up and enjoy, but proves to be very difficult to master. Funny, addictive and with great options for both co-operative and competitive online play - Sim City is a clear candidate for Game of the Year.

@SimmerGeorge

For example Eurogamer gave 10/10 before changing it to 4/10 2 weeks later.
    A fantastic city simulation that meets all expectations. So perfectly balanced it makes it easy to pick up and enjoy, but proves to be very difficult to master. Funny, addictive and with great options for both co-operative and competitive online play - Sim City is a clear candidate for Game of the Year.

Lol it's crazy you believe that. SimCity was so bad people went buying Cities:Skylines
    edited June 2020
    @SimmerGeorge

Smart move of Paradox, Cities:Skylines was released in 2015 a few days after the closure of Maxis.
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    @SimmerGeorge

For example Eurogamer gave 10/10 before changing it to 4/10 2 weeks later.

Lol it's crazy you believe that. SimCity was so bad people went buying Cities:Skylines

I know I did lol
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited June 2020
    sims 4 didn't have that, maxis almost closed down during the early 2010s cause simcity was so poorly received and sims 4 barely made it out alive.

Just Maxis failed to put enough servers online and they took too much time to bring the Offline Mode and allow the mods.

How many of those units were refunded though or given away free? They never count those out, just like with TS4.

SimCity 2013 wasn't anywhere near as great as City:Skylines, even if there were enough servers and that's why it's still not doing as well as City:Skylines.

Here's an article that compares SimCity 2013 and City:Skylines, feature by feature:

Here are some important comparisons from the article:
    1. City Simulation

When we're talking about the "sim" part of SimCity, it basically wasn't. You might not have noticed if you gave up on the game early like so many people, but the rules that drove the game had more to do with the free-to-play mindset of "progression through participation" than with city simulation. It was possible to make a city that was entirely residential with no goods to buy, jobs to support people, or city services to sustain them. But since the simulation was programmed to mindlessly grow over time, the city would grow anyway until you had an entire city of unemployed people with no access to food or clothing, mysteriously living in massive high-rise buildings.

SimCity bragged that every inhabitant was simulated. But when players looked, they found the simulation was silly and shallow. A sim would leave their house in the morning and drive until they reached the first building with an available job. Then when it was time to go home they drove to the closest empty house.

But Cities: Skylines manages to deliver on the failed promises of SimCity. Every inhabitant has a specific name, a family, a place to live, and (one hopes) a job. They go to school, choose their education path, find a job, and eventually die of old age. You can zoom in and follow a single citizen through their routine. It's a real simulation where people move in if the city is nice and they flee the city if you screw it up.

Advantage: Cities: Skylines.

I love the attention to detail of the inhabitants in Cities:Skylines!
    2. Traffic Simulation

The pathfinding in SimCity was so primitive that it probably qualified as broken. Cars followed a brute-force "shortest path" logic that ignored everything about a route except for the distance traveled. Which meant that cars would rather travel to their destination on a gridlocked dirt road rather than an open four-lane highway if the dirt road was even a tiny bit shorter. In another game this sort of "my first pathfinding algorithm" might be tolerable, but in a game with such a focus on traffic management it's unforgivable.

The traffic in Cities: Skylines is easily the deepest and most interesting car simulation I've seen in a videogame. It's deep enough to create something we rarely get in games: Emergent puzzles. Yeah, you could solve this traffic snarl by just bulldozing the whole intersection and making all the roads fatter. But if you're smart and observant you might be able to solve the problem by making an on-ramp just a little longer. Or change one of the streets to one-way. Or create a bypass.

Even better: All those vehicles have a purpose. They aren't just randomly generated traffic. You can click on a vehicle and see what it's delivering, and to where. If it belongs to an inhabitant, you can see who they are and what they're up to. If you stop the deliveries from getting through, the city can and will fall apart in various ways.

Advantage: Cities: Skylines.

All traffic in Cities:Skylines have a purpose! Just like in TS3. If you see a townie driving by, you know they have a reason and a concrete destination to go to. It's not just to keep the town looking busy!

The article continues with a few more comparisons which shows Cities:Skylines winning in each category, but here to is a very important point that the writer had brought to light and it really bears quoting here:
    6. Best of all...

Cities: Skylines is the work of just 13 people. All it took was 13 enthusiastic people to overcome EA's horrendous bungling and make a product that's superior in every way. And apparently they did it in just two years.

If even one executive at EA had any clue about either their products or their customers, the SimCity 2013 we know would never have existed. If they had simply released the game we all wanted and expected, they would have avoided months of bad publicity (my emphasis). While I'm sure SimCity made money in the long run, think of how much more they would have made if EA hadn't needed to pay for a massive server farm. How much money did they waste pushing the square peg of Maxis developers into the round hole of large-scale multiplayer? How much of a boost would it have been to Origin to have an exclusive game that the public actually wanted? What is the long-term cost of the damage to the SimCity brand?

Consider the fact that after driving this brand into the ground and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 away a fortune in potential revenues, EA has closed the doors at Maxis, thereby punishing the peasants for the incompetence of the princes.

"They're making money, so they must be doing something right!" I can never accept that excuse. A monkey could make money if given access to EA's assets. That's no excuse for gross mismanagement and wasted potential. If EA ever takes another crack at the city-building genre, they're going to be coming at it from the position of the underdog. And they have only themselves to blame.

So yeah, this is a more accurate view of SimCities. EA should read the article and learn from it. If they want TS5 to be successful, they NEED to listen to us and NOT make it multiplayer because that will surely fail. Also, the article pointed out the success of Cities:Skylines was because of 13 people's love and enthusiasm for the genre and it reflected that in Cities:Skylines' attention to detail and depth of play - something that SimCities (and TS4) lacks.

TS5 is surely coming, but the question is: Did EA learn from the failure of SimCities and The Sims 4?

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
    @ClarionOfJoy You know what sucks though? People who bought the game from Origin couldn't get a refund... classic EA.
    edited June 2020
    @ClarionOfJoy You know what sucks though? People who bought the game from Origin couldn't get a refund... classic EA.

This is why people try to avoid Origin as much as possible. You should read all the posts at Steam raising a ruckus about having to install Origin to play all the EA games just added there because it results in a double authentication. They don't want Origin installed on their computers AT ALL like it's leprosy or something, lol!

PS: I personally never had any problems with Origin. It used to go down some, but that hasn't really happened in a long while!
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I'm fine with them ending ts4 right now. Even if that means I have to wait a few years for the next one to come out. I'm fine with them not constantly having a new pack coming out/being worked on if it means better content in the future. Other games exist. I'll just play them while I wait. I'm just ready for this one to be over.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
    edited June 2020
    TS5 is surely coming, but the question is: Did EA learn from the failure of SimCities and The Sims 4?

You can't be serious, right ?
    After SimCity Societies (2007), SimCity (2013), Mass effect Andromeda (2017) and Anthem (2019).

EA never learn.

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

After SimCity Societies (2007), SimCity (2013), Mass effect Andromeda (2017) and Anthem (2019).

EA never learn.

For once I agree with you.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited June 2020

Just Maxis failed to put enough servers online and they took too much time to bring the Offline Mode and allow the mods.

2 million units where the majority of players couldn’t even get passed the launcher. For a game that spent plenty of time in online beta, there is no excuse for the lack of capacity.

The real nail in the coffin wasn’t even the server mess. It was when Lucy Bradshaw started lying directly to players and the press, which was exposed the same day when the game ran just fine “disconnected” from the severs for over an hour - something Maxis & LB insisted was impossible due to the design of the game. An offline mode was also impossible based on the LIES shared by Maxis and Lucy Bradshaw.

Maxis has a lying problem. The Sims 4 was born out of the same place that SimCity was and they played the same game when people starting pointing out the issues with Sims 4 that they’d already seen with SC. The offline mode for SimCity was a joke and took way too long to materialize. They released an entire paid expansion before they got around to offline, which conveniently didn’t pop up until production ended. Maxis was too concerned with trying to make their vision a successful reality before they began doing the bare minimum their players wanted. That is another thing that has not changed with the culture of Maxis.

ETA: SimCity’s audience was adults, which explains why the games did not work and the game went under. Sims has a younger audience, and unfortunately they are easier to sell to.
    edited June 2020

EA never learn.

I heard they're rebooting Anthem and working on Mass Effect 4 after they finish Dragon Age 4, so who knows?

edited June 2020

EA never learn.

I heard they're rebooting Anthem and working on Mass Effect 4 after they finish Dragon Age 4, so who knows?

Dragon Age 4 development is based on Anthem... BioWare Austin call this project Anthem with Dragons.
    edited June 2020

EA never learn.

Dragon Age 4 development is based on Anthem... BioWare Austin call this project Anthem with Dragons.

If they're rebooting Anthem with improved game engine, then Dragon Age 4 won't be a problem, otherwise....

But anyway, WHERE'S THE SIMS 5????

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

EA never learn.

If they're rebooting Anthem with improved game engine, then Dragon Age 4 won't be a problem, otherwise....

But anyway, WHERE'S THE SIMS 5????

I ask the same........I am so tired of waiting.
    edited July 2020
    WHERE'S THE SIMS 5????

Like the kids who ask a thousand times "Are we arrived ?" , the answer is still the same : "Not yet !"

The Sims 5 is at the same place as Dragon Age 4 and Anthem 2.0 : nowhere.

WHERE'S THE SIMS 5????

Like the kids who ask a thousand times "Are we arrived ?" , the answer is still the same : "Not yet !"

The Sims 5 is at the same place as Dragon Age 4 and Anthem 2.0 : nowhere.

More like you're in denial. There are strong hints that it's coming soon! :smile:

• elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

More like you're in denial. There are strong hints that it's coming soon! :smile:

When do you think TS5 will be announced? Within a few months? By the end of this year? By mid-2021?

In any case, it won't be long before we know who was in denial :D
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2020
    elelunicy wrote: »

When do you think TS5 will be announced? Within a few months? By the end of this year? By mid-2021?

Maybe that 'major first' for The Sims franchise is a GP (still unannounced) that allows players to transport their saves over to TS5...wouldn't that be a hoot. For the first time ever, Simmers could transport their saves, and or Sims and homes over to TS5. That would be a major first. But I take those statements by the gurus with a grain of salt, major first to them might be for the first time ever, yada, yada, yada, and we have to say no, Maxis, we already saw that in TS1..because their memories are failing them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I don't know if this is an indicator but since the 29th they've stopped supporting transfer of Sims via gallery from the create-a-sim demo to the Sims 4.
    Maybe someone knows why they suddenly stopped supporting the demo?
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »

Maybe that 'major first' for The Sims franchise is a GP (still unannounced) that allows players to transport their saves over to TS5...wouldn't that be a hoot. For the first time ever, Simmers could transport their saves, and or Sims and homes over to TS5. That would be a major first. But I take those statements by the gurus with a grain of salt, major first to them might be for the first time ever, yada, yada, yada, and we have to say no, Maxis, we already saw that in TS1..because their memories are failing them.

If we could transfer our saves, I would be a LOT more tempted to try out Sims 5 when it eventually goes on sale!

I'm really attached to my Sims and their story due to playing the same family for 3.5 years and then being based off of characters I've written ahead of time. In fact the entire world is as even the background townies were created from my characters (replaced all Sims ) and I could play it for a lot more years.

As a single parent I don't get too much gaming time and it's one reason why I have no desire to start again with a new one... I'm still happily playing Sims 4, and won't have time for two so don't want to spend money for another, but if the game was better AND saves could be transferred.... well that would be really cool. Especially if it had the same art style/personalities but added in the three things that I think are missing from Sims 4: Free Babies (or better yet gradual aging), better animations, & Non-mutual relationships. (Wouldn't mind some optional story progression too.)

I'd wait until the packs I want are all released and it's a good sale since there's no point getting before that when I enjoy the game I have, but if it had all those things AND I could transfer my save I would definitely be interested. But that's prob getting my hopes too high haha.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    I would prefer they:

1. Fix Sims 4 and

2. migrate sims 4 into 5 so that we are not starting all over again and that the money we spent on Sims 4 is not wasted.

Well if they were smart, they WOULD port over certain things, such as the sims body's, it's already rigged and animated, it wouldn't take much to adjust it for whatever height the new objects would be as far as seating, beds, and tables, counters, etc. The same for objects, it's really easy to modify an object in a 3D program to get it the dimensions you want. Look at all of the TS2 and TS3 conversions people have done to get those things into TS4.

Would people complain? Probably, but if the gameplay was there I would be ok with it. (Although I hope they change the cartoony look to a little more realistic look). I'm not fond of clayhair and plastic looking wood items.

But my point is, it COULD be done.

• MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Sorry, guys, but we might celebrate the 10th year of sims 4's lifespan before ts5 gets an announcement.