Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone put their own music into The Sims before?

It has been a long time since I have done this but I am putting some of my own music into the custom music folder and tried it out in game.

Here is a cheeky video showing my Sims enjoying themselves: :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl0kSZXoxvI

The music itself is not as loud as it should be so the Sims and background might sound loud
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I did in TS2 as sims were more involved with music. I don't bother in 4 as music is just not a part of sim life there.
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    I def did this in TS3. I basically just took some of the songs from The Sims URBZ and The Sims Bustin Out. So much fun!
  • dominimpdominimp Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2020
    >:)

I used to build random houses in Sims 2 back in the day, thus I put my own music for build and buy mode as well as custom station.

I never did it for Sims 3 or 4 though.

>:)
  • VikVik Posts: 125 Member
    I didn't know I could that, is that available in Sims 4?
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    edited May 2020
    I did once or twice in TS2 but i was also fine with the game music too which is genius LOL in TS4 i probably won't since it's not essential to do so. I always make sure there's a Stereo in every house and Community Lot though i can't play it without the music, even just a small boom box it HAS to be there.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Vik wrote: »
    I didn't know I could that, is that available in Sims 4?

Yes it is. I've never done it but there's a "Custom Music" folder in the same folder as the mods folder and stuff so I assume you just add music files to that folder?

As for me, I play the game with the sound off so it'd be kinda pointless haha!
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I put music in so I can have something to listen to while Sims are asleep (in a room without the stereo) or Sims are at work.

Here is a similar video with some favorites of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClum-Nu3uE

The Sims were actually freezing cold by the end of it! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I def did this in TS3. I basically just took some of the songs from The Sims URBZ and The Sims Bustin Out. So much fun!

I have not heard much of the Urbz soundtrack. I think that Urbz would be a cool theme for a future Sims EP though :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ashleyrenee210ashleyrenee210 Posts: 187 Member
    I did this all the time in TS2! I put custom music in the neighborhood folder as well as build/buy because my computer used to take forever to load the lots so I wanted to listen to music I like. Now since I have a better computer it doesn't take long to load so I just leave it as it is.
    Twitter: ashleyrenee210
    Tumblr: panicitsashleyatthedisco
    Origin: ashleyrenee210
    PSN: ashleyrenee210
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I have done this in The Sims 4. Needed some actual Alternative on the channel with that name since the songs in the game were very hard to differentiate from Pop. I also turned the Spooky channel into a Metal channel for my sims and Easy Listening is currently a Classic Rock channel.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I haven't for Sims 4 yet but I did that with Sims 2 and 3.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes, but not my own. I have a nephew who wrote an entire album of songs (guitar player) and I used some of his music in TS2. I often put a lot of other music in TS2's custom files, and turn off some of Maxis music.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I tried putting my own music in but dont' know how I get tired of listening to the same music when I do my builds.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,373 Member
    I added some songs in the island radio channel. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard one on the radio one day. My sims generally don't hang out near the radio long enough for the songs to come on.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I still do it in ts3. I like listening to music while I play so it only made since for me to combine the two.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Bellatrix10Bellatrix10 Posts: 4 New Member
    Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing! How do you do that?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I used to, when I knew how to do it. I'd love to add some more Christmas music, but I have no idea how to even do that anymore.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 962 Member
    edited June 2020
    As much as I like some of the music, listening to it in-game can't happen for me: I constantly alternate between the game speeds, and listening to the music do that -- or stop -- is a mental irritant. What I've done, though, is create playlists that incorporate music from The Sims, The Sims 2, SimCity 3000, SimCity 4, and even SimCities Societies. (Bad game, fair music.) I listen to these while I'm playing --- it's fun to hear Sims Superstar music playing when my sims are running around Del Sol.
  • DeadManHBKDeadManHBK Posts: 117 Member
    I absolutely would in TS3. I like to have music on while I play, so why not make it a part of the game? I never really tried with any of the others - I believe I remember reading once it could be done with TS1, but I was young and had no clue where to even begin with that. I've been tempted to look into it again.
    500c175dfecfd4bfdb430b6ae61d85abc33cef98_hq.gif

A n a l Na t h r a c h D o c h e'l D e'n m h a
    A n a l Na t h r a c h T i e r a N a t r a c h...
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing! How do you do that?
    I used to, when I knew how to do it. I'd love to add some more Christmas music, but I have no idea how to even do that anymore.

Hope this link helps:

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_guide:Adding_custom_music
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Sometimes i just leave spotify on while playing.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I'm just waiting for the day when they put an Alexa into the game and you can just say "Alexa play ........" and you get your music played. B)

Mind you...I turn music off in my game as I play whilst watching TV. Multi-tasking!

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,373 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for the day when they put an Alexa into the game and you can just say "Alexa play ........" and you get your music played. B)

Mind you...I turn music off in my game as I play whilst watching TV. Multi-tasking!

We have one and it's named Lin Zy (or something like that).
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

We have one and it's named Lin Zy (or something like that).

I wonder if they were working on something like that when they came up with the real Play Alexa stuff. It's only the Sims who can interact with Lin-z though. I never tried that as it was reported that it was bugged somehow but it's probably patched by now
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    Yes, and it was mostly country music or Elvis songs.