Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bakery questions

I'm starting a new save and I want to do something I did many many years ago and have a sim own and run a bakery. A couple of questions for advice. It's also sort of a "poor to comfortable" play style as well (I doubt he will get rich running a bakery and I'm not starting him off as "rags" so "poor to comfortable" fits more than "rags to riches". lol. I'm thinking he will become a gardener to earn cash and have fresh ingredients for his baked goods.

1. What do you do with all the treats your sim bakes to get their baking skill up before they own the bakery? I'm going to have a single sim and I don't want him to get fat! lol. Do you just throw them away? I know it's just a game, but why do I feel bad throwing away food? lol

2. Do you restock the baked goods using the "restock" feature or bake a new batch? I heard conflicting facts on this. Does it matter on quality or sales if my sim restocks over rebakes?

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Why don't you have the sim learn the baking skill by reading? Then he will have some skill without having to actually bake too much stuff.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    Why don't you have the sim learn the baking skill by reading? Then he will have some skill without having to actually bake too much stuff.

you are brilliant. I am not. haha. Thanks!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    My sims sell everything in their bakery, even if it's poor quality. :smile: You could also invite other sims over and call them to meal. If you own the bakery, I don't think it's possible to restock. You need to bake new treats. You could also save them in a room and just place new when you run out of treats. You can also find perfect cakes on the gallery to download if you don't want to bake. :smiley:
  • GrazhirGrazhir Posts: 1 New Member
    The last retail establishment I did featured bakery cases and display shelves (for stuff my scientist was crafting). The pies and cakes restocked like any other item, so it wasn't strictly necessary for me to keep the kitchen I had as part of the lot.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I do know that your Sim can make more money selling single servings. I watched James Turner and Dr. Gluon do it it a series a while back. You just have your Sim pick up a serving and it goes into their inventory. Do it 4-8 times for the larger meals or until the meal is gone. You can do it for any baked items also. I think they did only baked items but it works for meals also. Then you can drag them out and sell individual servings from the cooler. They started off with bread sticks and in the end they were selling one slice of bread for a lot of money. I remember that it was funny watching them.
    what's a decent markup for bakery? I recently did a furniture store at 50% and it was a struggle at times and no sim would buy expensive items. But i know bakery items are less overall.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I would like to try this. It's one of the things I haven't done yet. What do you have to buy/do?

Thanks for the subject OP. Nice to get ideas.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Until you can buy a bakery, I'd just use the yard sale table to sell your practice baking. 300% mark up. Make those sims pay to eat your poorly skilled baked goods!
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    davina1221 wrote: »
    I would like to try this. It's one of the things I haven't done yet. What do you have to buy/do?

Thanks for the subject OP. Nice to get ideas.

You have to buy a retail building. If you aren't a builder you can download one off the gallery