March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Online The Sims 5 hypothetical poll

What would you accept or reject if there was at least an online element of TS5 being online?
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Online The Sims 5 hypothetical poll 126 votes

I will accept it as long as there is an option to play offline without online getting more attention and updates
68%
Bluegaylecatmom1987JeanKita5399alexspoom13WedAngel_mixIsb917SimburianBloosmooasimbsimSnuffyBucketIrdiwensimgirl1010luna181618goodcakebaker62KaeChan2089Jerrellosimmietimetaydev 86 votes
I will boycott out of out of principle
23%
auroraael14rudy8292IcewolfPlayerSinger2010keekee53AnmirlafriendlysimmersCinebarsikasika183PupDLSspice3mikawagBabykittyjadebixtersdoogerieChadSims2ScobreLoanetPlainevilClarionOfJoy 29 votes
I will play both versions and have no preference
7%
IceyJJestTrumlmeadowsIvyeyedMariLxpandie00AquaGamer1212j1z1StarDreamerSimmerGeorge 10 votes
I will only play online
0%
Bagoas77 1 vote

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I will accept it as long as there is an option to play offline without online getting more attention and updates
    If there is an option to play offline and we can boycott online then I would be cool with it but if online starts to take over and gets updates first or is overly promoted against offline then we have problems.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I voted I'd accept it, because I don't really care as long as it had the same attention...

BUT my real answer isn't up there.

I don't reallly care, because I honestly can't imagine I'd ever buy Sims 5 since I love SIms 4 so much. I've played since Sims 1, every iteration, and so far Sims 4 is by FAR my favourite, I love it so much and it's pretty much "complete" to me in how a game should be. The new packs are fun bonuses, but I can get many more years, (maybe decades haha) of fun from Sims 4 so I can't imagine spending money to start over again with a new version when I already ahve somethign I love.

That being said, I'll be watching it, just in case it's somehow better than Sims 4 haha. If it came out with Sims 4 art style, Sims 4 personalities, the gallery, and everything almost the same but added in free babies, gradual aging so I could play every year of a sims life differently, and non-mutual relationships, I might be in haha! I'm not counting on it, but if it did, then this would be my answer for the poll and I just might want to purchase after all
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    I will play both versions and have no preference
    While it’s true I would play both ways, the first answer also applies to me. I’m only interested if it’s optional. If they didn’t start from a single player experience, the resulting game likely wouldn’t feel like the sims, and my desired multiplayer experience would also suffer as a result.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I don't think I would bear to start over on Sims 5.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    edited June 2020
    I will boycott. I don’t trust them to make a good online and good offline experience. They will focus on one and I‘m sure it will be the one making more money. I already see them not working on NPC‘s AI because their personalities are supposed to come from other players. No, thanks.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    If they offer both online and offline then they should make it two separate games, with separate teams, separate marketing and separate everything. There really is not one fiber in my body that trusts EA. They will not treat online and offline equally. In the beginning maybe but once people got used to have online, multiplayer in the game they will focus their attention to that.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited June 2020
    Any kind of extensive online multiplayer feature will completely mess up the game. We can't have mods, and packs are also out. If online multiplayer is fully optional, and not given preferential treatment, I may soften my opinion. But, I am taking everything as worse case scenario.

There's a lot of factors; and we still don't know enough. To me, I expect EA to completely butcher, and make a mess out of TS5. While it will likely not be confirmed until at least June 11 @ EA Play, I strongly expect it to have an online multiplayer element. Whether the game is an online-only game or just so happens to have it as an optional feature, we don't know at all. EA's CEO has long been pushing for online multiplayer. The fanbase, by a vast majority said no. This is a big mistake. They are risking alienating this game's large fanbase; in favor of trying to reach new customers who likely aren't interested. Personally, I just don't see the point in multiplayer of this style game. It seems the CEO of EA is treating it like a cheap mobile game. Then, why not make TS5 the best it can be, and then just do a new Mobile/Freeplay sucessor that is online-only, and playable on PC? It can be the freemium farce that is loaded down with lootbox mechanics and "premium content".

If it is online, I'm hoping Paralives is available. Given Rod Humble was already a senior member of The Sims team, I strongly expect his take on the genre of life simulation will be even better than what Paralives has already shown. In my opinion, these two games will spell doom to The Sims franchise.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Didn't any of you that voted that they would accept the online option learn anything? Just look at TS4!!!

So relieved that we have Paralives and Paradox Tectonic's game coming and not just whatever EA wants to hand us. And I still have my beloved TS3!

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    If it is online,I hope EA takes the Minecraft route: Offer a single playeer option and a multi-player option(in the form of servers that pepple can make themselves). If EA takes the Roblox route(multi-player only option),then I'm switching to Paralives.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • 3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    The Sims 4 is limited the way it is because of being built on an engine that was originally for an online Sims game. If Sims 5 was online the off line experience would likely be limited. I don’t have a lot of faith that the offline experience would resemble the previous sims games in terms of play and depth.

I may change my mind if I am proven wrong but as of now if there is online play I will just wait for paradox technic’s game and Paralives.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I would boycott it. I am probably more prone to buy Ron Humble's game even though I can't stand all the rpgness he brings to the table rather than buy The Sims online or any or half of it online. I also never want to go through annoying patches every month or biweekly or whatever, ever again. Nor Origin.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I just have a really hard time believing that the online game wouldn't be riddled with MTX and have most of the focus on online elements.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I just will not buy it. Not a boycott just no interest in that kind of product.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    If it has any online involvement I'm out Sims 4 being created as a online game created so many limitations and I'm not willing to repeat that.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I wouldn't play it honestly if they attempted online again. I've done Sims Mobile, Sims Social, and Sims Freeplay. I got bored of them all within a couple weeks. If they want to try it with a side game I'd be ok. I mean they already brought augmented reality to the Sims Freeplay. EA just has never had a good reputation with online servers and even with Twitch streams I see servers constantly kick players from their games even the ones the Sim Gurus play. If they brought back MySims I think it would be a better competitor for Animal Crossing. Sims well just doesn't have that cute or risky factor to make it in the MMO world unless it is mobile which they have two successful games of it. It is like leave the PC games alone and let the mobile games be the cash cows. Plus with Simmers not being able to afford decent computers, EA thinking they can afford decent internet too is a total joke on EA. They'll lose easily like they did with SimCity.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited June 2020
    Very rarely devs pay more attention to an offline component of a game if there is a multiplayer version of it, latest offending game is Resident Evil 3 + Resistance, while the prequel of it Resident Evil 2 didnt have multiplayer version and it received many content as well as the free dlc.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I voted that I would still buy it, (though possibly not right away) if there is the option to be offline and if both are treated the same. However I have a feeling that would not be the case. I life it usually becomes that one thing takes dominance over the other.

I recognise that there are many people who would love to be able to play collaboratively with their friends, and it would be lovely if that could be accommodated. However I worry about griefing etc if just anyone could come on to your save and do as they wish. That seems completely different to how things are games like Stardew where it is an option.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I can’t answer as I need more information like how extensive is the online elements? I mean if it’s just memory’s and milestones that you can put online and a gallery + a create a world tool where you can build your own world and put it on the galley that’s fine. Otherwise no thanks I will get a different life simulator.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited June 2020
    If the Sims 5 is online I will NOT buy it. Online is just an excuse for them to turn the Sims into a giant, online cash cow, filled with microtransactions and subscription fees. All the content will be sold desperately while your playing.
    Look what Fallout 76 did to the Fallout series? It got rid of everything interesting from the game in favor of "multiplayer." No story, no characters, no voice acting, no plot. If the Sims 5 goes online it will go like this as well.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    Lootboxes, sub fees, you like this shirt but want in blue or pink better pay up $$$! I would not be surprised if the Sims 5 introduces a "Creation Club" type of feature where they can monetize mods from popular simmers.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    The Sims 3 had a bunch of online tie in nonsense, but I was easily able to ignore it.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    The gallery is really the only online aspect to the Sims 5 that is a must-have for me.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Can't vote. I prefer offline only. I think online of any form takes resources from making a better single player gameplay experience.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    As much as I want a Sims5 I do not want a Sims on line I can’t images how the eco system would work at the moment we are drip fed co tent but not everyone will have every pack how will that work if some one come to my world in an out fit for a pack I don’t have or something?

I really don’t want the Sims online it failed last time and it will fail this time too.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    For me, a big decider, other than not having the usual single-player suffer in favor of online play, is also what exactly online means. There are things I don't care for in the slightest (socializing, community challenges, etc) but things I would like (ability to build together, better Gallery follow/sharing options).

If the online side is MMO, then I'll happily ignore it as long as I can have my usual hermit-style mode that's unaffected.