Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Generational Genetics?

Has anyone had any instances of a sim inheriting their hair/eye color from a grandparent when neither of their parents have it? For example, two blonde sims having a brown haired child, and one of the blonde sims having a brown haired mother?

I've been messing around with the genetics in this game, just kinda seeing how they work, and I haven't seen it happen at all. I'm not sure if it's just me, though, and I'm curious if it exists in the game at all or if I just had some bad luck lol

Comments

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I'm not sure about seeing it with eye or hair color, but I've seen it with skin complexions. I've had two pale (white-looking) sims have a dark-skinned daughter that matched her grandfather's complexion.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited June 2020
    I have a sim who initially appeared to have her father's black hair, but when she aged up to teenager had blue hair - and I'm not even sure where it came from (I was pretty sure grandma had black hair with color streaks, and mom had red hair)

Her kids came in Blonde, Brunette (brown) and Redhead (Triplets). Paternal grandmother was blonde. Mom is blue (as mentioned) and dad is black.

Edit to add some pictures below the spoiler tags
    Here's Ashley and Phoebe - her daughter with Tomax Collette - just before aging Phoebe up to child. Ashley is the child of the Aine character from the Realm of Magic Trailer after the team put her up on the gallery and a gender-flip of the retired Sage of Mischief - the one without magic - from the same upload. They both started this story line dead, so I don't have any pictures of them. (And Ashley and her half-brother Travis were created in CAS using Genetics, as the story started with the death of their father and Travis' mother/Ashley's stepmother.)
    LCeNXPu.png
    This is Ashley, Phoebe and Ashley's half brother Travis, who has his dad's hair and his mom's skin
    Zv7FQzl.png
    Here's Phoebe, now a teenager, practicing magic as a with her eventual spouse Ezra Charm - an MCC Generated child of Darrel Charm and Emilia Ernest. I did not change her hair color upon aging up to teen. It just... poof, she went from black to blue.
    sFHC2gj.png
    And here's Ezra helping his now Teen aged triplets with their homework. Again, I didn't touch the hair colors. The most I ever do is change the hair styles/length
    GgAEwW1.png
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I’ve had at least the last 4 generations turn out with the exact same skin tone, face, and body of the father 🧐 I always have to launch cas.fulleditmode to morph some different body types and hairstyles.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I have had it happen before with a blond dad and a brown haired grandmother his daughter had his mothers hair
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited June 2020
    Not hair, but my two brown-eyed sims recently had a son with the his great-grandfather's green eyes. His older siblings are identical triplets who are pretty much the gender-bent copies of their mother, they look nothing alike with their baby bro.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    Yep I've had it happen. It doesn't seem to happen much, but sometimes. I've currently got a family with 2 kids, the first has mums faceshape, and dad's eye and hair colour. The second has dads faceshape, mum's hair colour, and grandparents green eyes :) I love this!
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I had it happen once in 2015 (the reason I remember the year is because I still play that household XD)

Dad has black hair and green eyes, like his own dad. His mom had blond hair and the lightest brown eyes.
    Mom has the lightest blonde hair and blue eyes, her mom had the same hair colour and I believe eyes as well. Her dad had brown eyes and black hair.

The child got the paternal grandmothers hair and eyes (unless the maternal grandfather also had the lightest shade of brown eyes. I don't know). Unfortunately the game crashed just as he aged up (at the time no toddlers) to a child after I changed outfits in cas. They never had a child like that again so i recreated him in cas :/

After that family it hasn't happened to my knowledge but I don't play generational that often and if I do I believe I don't really pay attention that much.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I've had it happen - not very often though. And come to think of it - it has been quite some time since it happened so I'm not sure it is still possible or not.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    No, it can't happen. Sims only inherit genetics from their parents :(
    How I have had that happen where the parents didn’t have like red hair and their child got red hair. I deduced that they got it from the grandparents because the grandmother had red hair. So yes it happens especially if you have many generations you are going to see lots of different genetics in the family.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I've had it happen on several occasions with both hair and eye colors. I call them throwback grand kids.(cause they got their genes from the past) :D
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited June 2020
    How I have had that happen where the parents didn’t have like red hair and their child got red hair. I deduced that they got it from the grandparents because the grandmother had red hair. So yes it happens especially if you have many generations you are going to see lots of different genetics in the family.

I have been playing since the game released and frequently play for multiple generations but have never had it happen to me. For example, in one of my saves I am on gen 13 and on another gen 7. I had heard that it can't happen but maybe that information was wrong, especially since apparently so many people here have had it happen. My only mod is MCCC and I don't have any CC so maybe that is why I'm not seeing it in my game. Could be that CC has an effect.

There are some hair colours that aren't available for toddlers and kids (e.g. blue, pink, grey). If one of the parents has e.g. blue hair or is an elder with grey hair and the game tries to give the kid, say, grey hair, it will be unable to do so and instead give them a random hair colour. For example, the kid may randomly get red hair which may, by chance, also be the hair colour of a grandparent or great grandparent, giving the illusion that they inherited that hair colour from the grandparent.

As for eye colours, I know that the game's genetics system treats certain eye colours as interchangeable though I forget which ones exactly. But it means that you can get scenarios such as the following: Say eye colours A and B are interchangeable. Sim 1 has eye colour A and has a kid (sim 2) with eye colour B. Sim 2 has a kid (sim 3). Sim 3 has eye colour A which makes it look as though they have inherited their grandparent (sim 1)'s eye colour. In fact they haven't - the game has tried to give them their parent (sim 2)'s eye colour (colour B ) but colour B and colour A are interchangeable so it was 50/50 whether they got colour A or colour B and they got colour A.

For skin tones, I believe that something similar applies as with the eyes (could be wrong there though).

I'm not saying that this accounts for every case where sims have apparently inherited genetics from grandparents, great grandparents etc but it's a guess on my part. It could be that I'm wrong and sims really can inherit genes from distant ancestors and I'd be delighted if that is the case because it annoys me that in my game only the parents' genetics are ever inheirited.

ETA: This is what I read about genes in TS4 which says there are no recessive genes. Not saying it's right, that's just one of the reasons why I thought it couldn't happen (along with my experience in my game): https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Genetics#:~:text=It appears that there are no recessive genes,a dark-skinned parent, it is very rare

In the Sims 4 section of that article it says:
    The Sims 4 shows a wide variety of mixed features. The children tend to come out with features ranging from exactly like the one parent to an in between mix. It appears that there are no recessive genes in The Sims 4 that are passed down. This makes it impossible to inherit a gene from a grandparent or any other ancestor unless one of the parents displays the trait.

I have been playing since the game released and frequently play for multiple generations but have never had it happen to me. For example, in one of my saves I am on gen 13 and on another gen 7. I had heard that it can't happen but maybe that information was wrong, especially since apparently so many people here have had it happen. My only mod is MCCC and I don't have any CC so maybe that is why I'm not seeing it in my game. Could be that CC has an effect.

There are some hair colours that aren't available for toddlers and kids (e.g. blue, pink, grey). If one of the parents has e.g. blue hair or is an elder with grey hair and the game tries to give the kid, say, grey hair, it will be unable to do so and instead give them a random hair colour. For example, the kid may randomly get red hair which may, by chance, also be the hair colour of a grandparent or great grandparent, giving the illusion that they inherited that hair colour from the grandparent.

As for eye colours, I know that the game's genetics system treats certain eye colours as interchangeable though I forget which ones exactly. But it means that you can get scenarios such as the following: Say eye colours A and B are interchangeable. Sim 1 has eye colour A and has a kid (sim 2) with eye colour B. Sim 2 has a kid (sim 3). Sim 3 has eye colour A which makes it look as though they have inherited their grandparent (sim 1)'s eye colour. In fact they haven't - the game has tried to give them their parent (sim 2)'s eye colour (colour B ) but colour B and colour A are interchangeable so it was 50/50 whether they got colour A or colour B and they got colour A.

For skin tones, I believe that something similar applies as with the eyes (could be wrong there though).

I'm not saying that this accounts for every case where sims have apparently inherited genetics from grandparents, great grandparents etc but it's a guess on my part. It could be that I'm wrong and sims really can inherit genes from distant ancestors and I'd be delighted if that is the case because it annoys me that in my game only the parents' genetics are ever inheirited.

ETA: This is what I read about genes in TS4 which says there are no recessive genes. Not saying it's right, that's just one of the reasons why I thought it couldn't happen (along with my experience in my game): https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Genetics#:~:text=It appears that there are no recessive genes,a dark-skinned parent, it is very rare

The Sims 4 shows a wide variety of mixed features. The children tend to come out with features ranging from exactly like the one parent to an in between mix. It appears that there are no recessive genes in The Sims 4 that are passed down. This makes it impossible to inherit a gene from a grandparent or any other ancestor unless one of the parents displays the trait.

Well you're free to believe in article if you want to everybody was just sharing their experiences just like you were and it seems like a lot of people seem to think that this genetic work

Well you're free to believe in article if you want to everybody was just sharing their experiences just like you were and it seems like a lot of people seem to think that this genetic work

I'm sorry, I was just sharing my thoughts, I didn't mean to annoy/offend anyone. Like I said, what I said could very well be wrong especially since people on this thread seem to have had a different experience from me. I think sometimes the typed word comes across wrong - I certainly didn't mean to sound argumentative or to upset anyone. I've seen you around a lot on the forums and you seem like a really lovely person, I'd hate to argue with you over such a silly little thing! Besides, I am a little stupid so it's generally always best to ignore what I have to say on things :D
    And clearly the part about the descendant not displaying the trait if the parent doesn't have it is not true a lot of people have already share their experiences of that however the article just might be really old they update the game all the time you know also another thing that proves it wrong is the half aliens can have a full alien baby
    And clearly the part about the descendant not displaying the trait if the parent doesn't have it is not true a lot of people have already share their experiences of that however the article just might be really old they update the game all the time you know also another thing that proves it wrong is the half aliens can have a full alien baby
    That's true, it might be an old article :) oh nice, I didn't know that half aliens could have a full alien baby - never had that happen either. Well anyway I know nothing lol and like I said I'm very stupid so blame my mistakes on that :D always good to learn new things!
    That's true, it might be an old article :) oh nice, I didn't know that half aliens could have a full alien baby - never had that happen either. Well anyway I know nothing lol and like I said I'm very stupid so blame my mistakes on that :D always good to learn new things!

no be deal sorry if I came across poorly I haven't had much sleep lately @MaggieMarley
    edited June 2020
    @comicsforlife thank you :) oh no, you've been helpful! Genetics are my favourite part of playing sims so I'm happy to know that there are more possibilities than I thought! Hopefully I get to see this in my game soon. I wonder if other features from grandparents can be inherited e.g. nose shape - that's be cool!
    @comicsforlife thank you :) oh no, you've been helpful! Genetics are my favourite part of playing sims so I'm happy to know that there are more possibilities than I thought! Hopefully I get to see this in my game soon. I wonder if other features from grandparents can be inherited e.g. nose shape - that's be cool!

yes I've seen that happen to but not with alien noses the human nose will always be the one they get as far as I can see @MaggieMarley

yes I've seen that happen to but not with alien noses the human nose will always be the one they get as far as I can see @MaggieMarley

@comicsforlife that is interesting! I will have to keep a look out for that :)
  • hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    Somebody cheating..nah kidding. I have had kids who look like their grandparents. Especially if I use J Huntington as my male partner. That boy got some STRONG genes. You will know a Huntington when you see one haha.
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)