Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disgusting Concepts

Comments

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @Faraway_Son theres plenty of sims 4 haters (🙋 moi included)on this forum i think your complaint just wasnt really justified lol
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    After reviewing all the comments, I realise that negativity towards Sims 4 packs is met with a solid wall of support for said pack. How will the game get better if you all just love everything? Thank you EA, you're just SO wonderful, please take my money already...you're more than worth it!
    When I made this post I expected this...official Sims 4 forum is a happy-clappy, everything is wonderful, WE'RE having fun community. Negativity is not welcome. Good for all of you, I am a Sims 4 gamer too but have I not been lambasted, criticised and made fun of for having an opinion, and for expressing that opinion? Yes!

Everyone has different opinions and likes and dislikes. I 100% disagree with everything you find "disgusting". However, that doesn't meant I'm 100% happy with the game either. I might very well dislike some of the things that you like, but this thread is about some very specific things and those are the topics at hand. You simply can't paint everything and everyone with the same brush as you are trying to do. It's a lot more complicated than that. TS4 is a very large game with a bunch of different parts and a bunch of different ways to play. The fact that I like dumpster diving and eating bugs doesn't mean that I'm not upset about the glitches with the game or that I have fun with every other packs that I'd purchased thinking that they would be fun. I've been disappointed by this game many times.

People have different opinions. End of. My opinion being opposite yours doesn't mean I'm lambasting, criticizing you, or making fun of you for those opinions. I also see a lot of people in this thread agreeing with you. I've also seen what I feel like is a lot more negative threads on the forum than positive ones so... *shrugs* I guess it just depends on where you look.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    @Faraway_Son theres plenty of sims 4 haters (🙋 moi included)on this forum i think your complaint just wasnt really justified lol

This site conditions people into responding in a certain way...otherwise you're not accepted by the community. I think the pack was poorly implemented and undercooked. You official forum types will mindlessly type away all day, waxing lyrical about the awesomeness of the game and won't ever see the poor design and structural gameplay issues. I waste my time already responding to this. Silly me.
    @StrawberryYogurt...enjoy Sims 5, I'm sure it will be great. Probably subscription based with streaming content. You won't own any of it, but owning stuff is so old fashioned. Expect paid mods too...aka Bethesda mods. I may sound bitter but I thought the Sims community had a backbone and I was wrong. Sims 5 will be everything you allow it to be.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    After reviewing all the comments, I realise that negativity towards Sims 4 packs is met with a solid wall of support for said pack. How will the game get better if you all just love everything? Thank you EA, you're just SO wonderful, please take my money already...you're more than worth it!
    When I made this post I expected this...official Sims 4 forum is a happy-clappy, everything is wonderful, WE'RE having fun community. Negativity is not welcome. Good for all of you, I am a Sims 4 gamer too but have I not been lambasted, criticised and made fun of for having an opinion, and for expressing that opinion? Yes!

@Faraway_Son When people in the forums tell you that it is absurd to complain about dumpster diving and alternative meat products being disgusting they are basically telling you "Welcome to the real world"

People are only laughing at you not because you're complaining about something constructive (like a feature that might not be well executed or in-depth etc.). People are laughing at you because you are complaining about a real-world thing that you thing has no place in a life simulator.
    It's funny to think you are getting upset about such things especially when they are only virtual.

The forums are a little biased but they are not only sugar and rainbows, you will find a lot of threads with people being critical towards EA and the game.
    The problem with your criticism is you're complaining about a feature, that you are not obligated to use, being degrading to your sims who are really just virtual pixel people.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Time to get off the hamster wheel...I never said I was obligated, I express opinions, I don't expect everyone to agree. But guys...you have your armour on, with sword in hand...ready to vanquish the naysayers! I will leave you to it.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    @Faraway_Son So you can express your opinion but we can't? Just fleeing when hearing something you don't agree with doesn't really help you know.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Time to get off the hamster wheel...I never said I was obligated, I express opinions, I don't expect everyone to agree. But guys...you have your armour on, with sword in hand...ready to vanquish the naysayers! I will leave you to it.

Or, you know, maybe the world isn't all one opinion and neither is the Sims community. Your complaint wasn't about a bug that needed to be fixed - you'd have found the echo chamber you're looking for - but about a feature that some people like and some people don't. And some people simply don't care either way.

It seems you've come here to just reaffirm that what you find objectionable is making everyone feel the same way. Well, it doesn't. The same thing happens when people post about a feature they enjoy: someone will always come in to say they hate it.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

This site conditions people into responding in a certain way...otherwise you're not accepted by the community. I think the pack was poorly implemented and undercooked. You official forum types will mindlessly type away all day, waxing lyrical about the awesomeness of the game and won't ever see the poor design and structural gameplay issues. I waste my time already responding to this. Silly me.

Nah, ive been viewing this forum for YEARS (since release!) with still one GP with this game and not interested in any more dlc coz its just not worth it. I still dont like Sims 4 and will still critize it and provide feedback on what I think should improve or be put into the next game. I havent been 'brainwashed' yet ;)
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    I don't mind dumpster diving - several of my sims are regularly rummaging the trash cans at San Myshuno or digging for trash at Sulani - but dumpster woohoo is another matter. No, nope, no way. As there are several more features in this pack that I either don't care about or actively dislike, I just chose not to buy it and end of story. I really don't get why people buy packs they know they won't like and then spend weeks complaining about them, it should've been clear after the livestream what the pack would involve.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

Hmmm do you actually look at other forum posts? I constantly see criticisms and I am one of the first ones to chime in about something I don't like about the game. Like I mentioned in my last post this pack has horribly implemented NAPs that really need fixed. However, I also very much like other features because...I ENJOY PLAYING THEM. Wow! What a concept. There are many glitches that need addressed but I have mods for those terribly implemented action plans and I agree that is unacceptable that I have to do that until a patch hopefully addresses it. I have over 6300 hours put into this game since September 2014. Nobody was forcing me to play the game that much. Nobody was brainwashing me. I LOVE THE SIMS 4! This means I can love it and criticize it just as loudly! :)
  • AbeericAbeeric Posts: 28 Member

Oh gosh. I love this pack!! I chuckle at it more and more every day as I discover the different impacts it makes. I get it's not for everybody...that's the cool thing about Sims though. You don't have to purchase a pack if you don't want that type of gameplay.
    I don't like to play kid sims. I don't own the Parenthood pack. I don't want it, don't care about it, it's not for me. I don't feel upset because they made it though...it brings a lot of fun gameplay for other people. Yep...my Sims are gonna be wearing bags on their heads and dumpster diving while other gamers raise good and perfect kids to send through Discover University. :):DB)
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    My ex-husband & I when we were still married had very little to start, we used to rummage a bit in the landfill before they made it illegal. People toss out perfectly good stuff because they’re tired of it we’d bring stuff home and scrub it with disinfectant or bleach and then repaint, refinish, or reupholster it. Once on a trip just after our son was born he hauled home a nearly new microwave oven that some guy was off loading because they couldn’t get it to work. We took it apart and found it had a blown fuse. A trip to the hardware store later, $5.00 for a pack of fuses and a thorough wipe down with some bleach and water, bam new microwave that ended up lasting for quite a few years.

I once saw probably $500 worth of 1970s Tonka trucks someone threw out. Even though, at the time, I was collecting them, I didn't even ask about them. That was a mistake. BIG MISTAKE. I bet someone got $500 out of them that worked at the dump.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2020
    alan650111 wrote: »

Hmmm do you actually look at other forum posts? I constantly see criticisms and I am one of the first ones to chime in about something I don't like about the game. Like I mentioned in my last post this pack has horribly implemented NAPs that really need fixed. However, I also very much like other features because...I ENJOY PLAYING THEM. Wow! What a concept. There are many glitches that need addressed but I have mods for those terribly implemented action plans and I agree that is unacceptable that I have to do that until a patch hopefully addresses it. I have over 6300 hours put into this game since September 2014. Nobody was forcing me to play the game that much. Nobody was brainwashing me. I LOVE THE SIMS 4! This means I can love it and criticize it just as loudly! :)
    This is me too. The whole sides nonsense is silly. We should be able to do both and everything in between about the game. Of course not everyone is going to agree, but that is what makes us human and not like robots who all act and think the same way. There was a book I just finished reading called 1984 that was about a world where everyone is brainwashed literally to think the same that once that happens people lose their identity and just became another nameless face in the crowd. It is just so relevant to today even with it being written 70 years ago in that news isn't really news anymore but biased opinions. So for me I tend to respect people more with unbiased opinions in either direction. Humans aren't perfect and I get tired of their opinions having to be perfect and always sunny. It isn't healthy and often reflects very toxic historical events of only being single minded. Sims games are supposed to be inclusive and in order for that to happen there has to be some acceptance of being different from each other is okay. I get exhausted of the Sims 4 being exclusive to only "happy thoughts". Sims has never been shallow to just that, so I am happy that this pack is actually showing that yes Sims 4 does have more than just one emotion, but a variety.

The book: https://www.flyleafbooks.com/book/9780451524935
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited June 2020
    Meat walls...who wants that in their house? Are the Sims turning into 'Silent Hill'? WooHoo in a dumpster...there's nothing quite like saying 'I Love You' unless you've woohooed in a dumpster. Dumpster diving is equally uncool...that's what rats do! Literally!
    I'm so disappointed in this expansion...total let-down from start to finish. Bug growing and harvesting for fuel and food? Really??
    It's disgusting!...and I'm a poor working class guy! But this is grim and certainly not fun!

Sorry you are unfamiliar with these things but I will tell you, dumpster-diving was a fine art back in Austin, since at least the 90s, and it didn't mean going into health-hazard garbage, it meant scoping out different KINDS of dumpsters, fashioning picking tools of a specialized nature, and finding some pretty incredible things in dumpsters that were generally clean.

Meat wall is about something that we are finally developing: tissue cloning of animal muscle from a few cells in such a way that meat can be lab-grown in a way that involves no animal cruelty beyond the taking of a few cells from a living and otherwise unharmed creature.
    It's a way to make meat sustainable and cruelty-free, not something horror-movie-esque.

But if all that freaks you out, you will be completely unprepared for the use of insects as biofuel and food ingredients. Beetles, crickets, grubs. Sustainable protein for people who can wrap the head around the REAL "paleo" diet. I myself am not one, but there are cultures around the world for whom eating insects or grubs is an accepted nutritious practice.

So I do not fault you for not having heard of any of this, and having a bit of culture shock, but rest assured, they didn't make it up to be gross, these are real things that either have a long human cultural history or else are real things that are still in the developmental stages (lab-grown meat for instance). Culture shock is also a real phenomenon that none of us are immune to.

:) Now the dumpster woohoo? I have no real-life experience with it, nor any desire to try it in real life but one of the things I would hate to see go out of the Sims that has already suffered way too much attrition from the Upright Citizens' Brigade, is humor. So I consider Dumpster Woohoo a healthy dose of humor along with the belches and farts of the Parenthood Pack, which was actually what sold me on it.

XD

ETA: I actually loved the hint of classic Sims sense of humor with the whole "massage the meat" (or was it beat the meat?) option? Cracked me up!
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    Huh true about the fuel. I mean we run our cars on dead dinosaur bones and plankton. So when you run your cars and breath in, yep that is dead dinos you are smelling. If we really thought about everything we do day to day and put a blue light to everything, would be shocking to see where things come from and how dirty our world really is with the covid germs and all.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Um...the only thing I really didn't totally like was the woohoo in a dumpster. I mean, like why? That's just odd to me.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm really not a fan of the "insect farm" thing, I just find the whole idea of that gross to be honest. I checked mine and found a ton of dead crickets on the ground which was just gross in itself and the whole idea of "harvesting" them just irks me. I was gonna try and do the aspiration that involved the insect farm but I'm just gonna skip through as it's too gross for me. I really hope they don't give in to demand and make a farming pack because this kind of imagery/concept is really not what I want to see in my sims game

And the "meat wall", I get that its supposed to be fake meat but it just makes me feel all icky. eugh!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm enjoying playing Sims 4. That doesn't mean I like everything about it and that includes the meat wall. I just take what I want out of it and ignore the rest.

As someone who lives in the centre of a beautiful major festival city I see sadnesses, like homeless people all around and disgusting sights too. The latest is the huge amount of rubbish left by so called civilised people after peaceful protests in the local parks. The rubbish collectors shaped it into number of people killed by Coronavirus in the country.

One is very lucky to live in a quiet country place where everyone sticks to the rules.
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Huh true about the fuel. I mean we run our cars on dead dinosaur bones and plankton. So when you run your cars and breath in, yep that is dead dinos you are smelling. If we really thought about everything we do day to day and put a blue light to everything, would be shocking to see where things come from and how dirty our world really is with the covid germs and all.

I'm pretty sure the dead dinosaur thing is a falsehood. It's a common misconception according to many (google it).
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I don’t have the pack yet but I’m already partially in love with it for the reasons you describe as disgusting ❤️❤️❤️
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I absolutely don't expect agreement on this site. But I was never looking for agreement. I wanted a platform to voice my concerns...the Sims are changing...not for the better. This expansion is not fun...it's really horrible in many ways. Bug eating, bug harvesting...I know it's a game, but the concepts are grim.

These concepts you find gross/grim are actual real concepts humans are looking into in real life. There is a lot of research lately in the field of bugs and using them as an alternative more sustainable food source. Same with the meat wall, research and development for lab grown meat is becoming increasingly more popular these past few years. There’s a lot of themes this pack touches on that reflect the very real world and the very real worlds effort in fighting climate change, I’m honestly surprised this pack went this in depth with this topic, because a lot that’s being represented in this pack stems from real life initiatives.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    I wish certain sims could dumpster dive while others wouldn’t... Like Nancy Landggrab would never dumpster dive, give us an option to buy bug fuel or any kind of clean fuel... Because my sims have a life and the bugs take a million years to make fuel.

I want the trash in other neighborhoods so they can have to go through what Evergreen Harbor does... Like the garbage you can’t clean unless you vote in certain city’s is cool. (It would not work in all towns but it could work in the city town and the base game worlds.) and they’d get a slight upgrade once everything is finished ie more colorful or modern.

I’d like ways to go green that aren’t gross as well, and cute and expensive off the grid appliances. I want chic ceiling lights. Have a group of green snobs, sims who want to go green but don’t do it the gross way the common people do. Have sims who just want to stay out of the environment stuff.

That said once the pack is patched and I mod my game again I’ll be able to enjoy the expansion pack. (This time it will take forever)
    I did find out from the Gurus that the pack is based off of the Northwest, so neat it is so relevant to where I live. Homelessness is very common especially since the pandemic. There are a lot of industrial buildings in the Northwest too like there was a paper mill that shut down. Like Simpsons was based of the Northwest too. I wouldn't recommend swimming in some of our rivers because it is toxic water like the Simpsons:
    simpsons-fish.jpg
  • sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    I don't do the dumpster diving with my current family, but I do them with another family. Fake meat wall, is it really disgusting? I eat a lot of fake meat, but I also buy real meat from the butcher, and they're also just hanging there on hooks and it's all fine. Pee bushes that sims can sleep in, are those disgusting? They should be, but nobody really cares, it's just a funny thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top