Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 is NOT on Sale in Steam's 2020 Summer Sale?!??

ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
Steam's summer sale has just started and I was totally surprised that The Sims 3 is NOT on sale. I'm surprised because the game had ALWAYS reliably been on sale at this time of the year for $4.99 each. I know a lot of people wait and watch for Steam's summer sale just to buy TS3's EPs and SPs at this time.

Consequently, all of The Sims 4 stuff at Steam is on sale but not on Origin right now (first time in a long while, lol!) and of course The Sims 3 stuff is not on sale there either.

I point these things out because it is a change in EA's selling tactics for TS3. I guess I'm posting about that here, because I want to know if other people have opinions about this.

For me, I have mixed emotions about it. I'm sad for the people who've been waiting for the summer sale to buy the packs at great discount and are going to be disappointed. I'm also a little miffed at EA for this tactic and the fact that they charge more for it in Europe. I know TS3 brings in good money for them, but sheesh! Now I'm wondering if they'll put it on sale for Christmas at Steam like they normally do or not. If not, will it ever go on sale some time in the year at all?

PS - At the same time, I'm also proud of it that it is doing so well and that people love it so much that EA feels it can withstand not going on sale. It's just the frugal part of me is all flustered that's all, lol!

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm not sure why EA would get any say in what exactly Steam gets to charge for the games it is allowed to carry and when as long as it's within reasonable acceptable limits. Am thus pretty sure that not being included in the Summer Sale thus far was a decision all on Steam's end. We don't know why this happened this year. It's possible that a TS3 sale is coming up later on. My sense is that TS4 stuff is on sale because that game is brand new to Steam as of a week or two ago and what we see there are introductory promotions. And it is indeed possible that Steam doesn't want the two iterations to compete with each other with deep discount sales on both at the same time, but we can only guess about stuff like that.

One thing I will say is that the subsequent outrage, indignation, feelings of entitlement, and unsubstantiated theories about TS3 soon to be taken off the market being expressed about the game being left out of the sale this year thus far on the Steam forums is bordering on absurd (although it's also pretty much par for the course over there). I'm sorry to have to state it quite this way, but this is a First World Problem and even in the First World many of us have more pressing issues to contend with right now. Disappointing to many players who were waiting for this sale and expecting it to be taking place right now to be sure, but hardly worth getting so upset about. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • PaikallinenPaikallinen Posts: 15 Member
    @igazor

When I was talking about Steam sales earlier somewhere else and mentioned that it is not EA who decides the price of the games and then I got this linked in exchange which does imply EA decides the price. https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/pricing

So what is correct?

Also I was really pummed about TS3 not being on a sale, especially since they finally lowered the base price in Europe some time ago. If there would have been a sale, this would have been the first time I would have been able to purchase TS3 basegame (requirement for EPS) on Steam for less than what 1000 Simpoints costs in Origin.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2020
    @Paikallinen - You're going to have to bear with me here (no actual bears required, there are city ordinances that frown upon their presence generally where I live) as I am not a very extensive Steam customer once we get beyond TS3, but what you have linked to is all about Steamworks. If I were an independent and possibly individual game developer and wished to list and sell my own products that I made myself or that my team made on Steam, then that document and its video would tell me how I would go about getting it listed and setting my prices for it.

I don't see how that applies to a contract between Steam and EA, especially the ones that dictate a special version of the game is required to be provided (TS3) and/or a somewhat behind the scenes Origin tie-in (TS4) to manage DRM. I believe the way this really works is that Steam/Valve is an authorized re-seller in kind of the same way (with a bunch of extra stuff attached) that Walmart or GameStop might be. If an authorized re-seller wishes to acquire legitimate licenses for the game from EA in bulk to sell to the players, which at the end of the day is what they all do, and charge a lower or higher price than Origin does (again within reason) or choose to have sales or combo pack specials, without being privy to the legal documents involved it seems to me that they should be able to.

It's very possible I am missing something here as again I'm not a heavy Steam user, but I don't really think that EA went through Steamworks and its Developers Kit to create Sims games for Steam and set the prices for their own products as part of the agreement/procedure that is in place as I would be doing if I had a game of my own creation to sell myself.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • PaikallinenPaikallinen Posts: 15 Member
    @igazor Thank you for telling me more. I don't know much about Steam either, I just didn't have enough evidence and knowledge to own that internet 'debate' and was confused.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited June 2020
    igazor wrote: »

One thing I will say is that the subsequent outrage, indignation, feelings of entitlement, and unsubstantiated theories about TS3 soon to be taken off the market being expressed about the game being left out of the sale this year thus far on the Steam forums is bordering on absurd (although it's also pretty much par for the course over there). I'm sorry to have to state it quite this way, but this is a First World Problem and even in the First World many of us have more pressing issues to contend with right now. Disappointing to many players who were waiting for this sale and expecting it to be taking place right now to be sure, but hardly worth getting so upset about. :/

Ooh, I didn't know there was drama going on in the TS3 forums over on Steam. Let me run over there right now!

edited June 2020
    Lol, someone over on Steam's TS3 discussion forum wrote:

"AND IM GOING TO HAVE A MELTDOWN. ITS THE SUMMER SALE AND NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SIMS3 IS ON FREAKING SALE. IM TICK3D OFF."

Lol, God bless'em! :D

I'd feel this way too if I didn't have the whole collection already!

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    "Oh...dear..." Well, it's just as well that I'm prepared to pay full-price for whatever SPs that I have left to collect since I've already got the entirety of the EPs. Most of you (Most of you...as in the ones who were here back then) probably remember me and my "I'm only going to buy the EPs that interest me..." thing when I started here in 2017.

Sims 3 Forum reaction back then:
    tenor.gif

Now after seeing me having bought ALL the expansion packs...
    2e6986e377da3b0e966ad4ad651d57595221323a71f5943aadaa79f04909f6dc.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    "Oh...dear..." Well, it's just as well that I'm prepared to pay full-price for whatever SPs that I have left to collect since I've already got the entirety of the EPs. Most of you (Most of you...as in the ones who were here back then) probably remember me and my "I'm only going to buy the EPs that interest me..." thing when I started here in 2017.

Sims 3 Forum reaction back then:
    tenor.gif

Now after seeing me having bought ALL the expansion packs...
    2e6986e377da3b0e966ad4ad651d57595221323a71f5943aadaa79f04909f6dc.jpg

Lol! TS3 is so addictive! What stuff packs do you still have to get?

edited June 2020
    Everything other than High End Loft Stuff. :mrgreen: HELS is the only SP that I currently own. :) It's just a matter of "when I can afford them..." is the key. Gotta pay the rent and eat. :D Eating and Rent; such inconvenient things when they get in the way of my Sims 3 enjoyment.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Everything other than High End Loft Stuff. :mrgreen: HELS is the only SP that I currently own. :)

Ah okay. Yeah, High End Loft is a great stuff pack! So you've got 1, 8 stuff packs more to go....

I would go over to Carl's Sims 3 Guide for a full description of what each pack has so you can make a decision about which packs you want to buy next.

Here are the others that I really like and use quite often:
    • Diesel Stuff - It's a brand stuff pack. Some people don't like it, but I use it often for both clothes and furniture. It has more "realistic" underwear for male sims.
    • Town Life - provides more community lots if you're tired of the ones you already have. They're smaller too for those who complain that the standard rabbitholes are too big. Adds more clothes and build/buy items also!
    • Outdoor Living - Adds build/buy items more appropriate for outdoors. I mean, you could have always built a kitchen and living room outside on the balcony before this pack, but they don't fit the outdoors look very well. This stuff pack fills the bill and it encouraged me to create bigger balconies and use those spaces more often.
    • Master Suite Stuff - Adds romantic sleepwear/lingerie. It also has romantic build/buy items.
    • 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff - Love the clothes these add to the game, plus all the period build/buy items!

I don't use these as much, but I think they do come in handy for specific settings:
    • Movie Stuff - This SP might not seem useful but it actually has a lot of build/buy stuff I add to many of my game sessions.
    • Fast Lane - This is all about cars and the people who love them. I don't use this as much, but I do love that it adds more cars to my games. The hairstyles remind me of the 1950's but to the extreme and also has clothing to match. It also includes a new radio station: Rockabilly
    • Katy Perry's Sweet Treats - Since they stopped making this, it's the hardest to get, but most people don't want it anyway. All the stuff in it comes in the craziest colors and patterns but since TS3 has CASt, you can just change the colors and patterns to something more sane so that most items and clothes can be used for everyday use. Some of them, however, are so tacky that there is no salvaging them whatsoever, lol!

If Steam doesn't have this on sale, there are other game sites who do sell them, it's just that overall, they have ALL raised their prices of TS3 stuff. :/

edited June 2020
    igazor wrote: »

I'm from the US, but I'm stuck overseas because of COVID-19. I'm making the most of the situation by finding things to focus on OTHER than this pandemic, such as things that are "normal" like being flustered over The Sims 3 not being on sale.

I don't want my situation to be always shoved in my face and stressing me out. I think that is the true difference between people who are relatively comfortable in their own homes and shaming other people about what people should or shouldn't focus on, and people who are directly affected by this pandemic.

I mean what more could you want from everybody? They are all practicing social distancing and helping wherever they can, and the people who could, are researching cures for the pandemic now. I don't understand why it's bad to talk about something "normal" like this - especially for people directly affected by it. People need "normalcy" to get through tough times!

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm a bit upset that Sims 3 isn't on Sale on Steam (As I have only one EP and four SP's to go; the EP I don't have is Island Paradise, while the four SP's is High End Loft Stuff, Diesel Stuff, Town Life and Master Suite; I decided to go for High End Loft and either a SP or IP this time around).
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
    Sleepstar wrote: »
    I'm a bit upset that Sims 3 isn't on Sale on Steam (As I have only one EP and four SP's to go; the EP I don't have is Island Paradise, while the four SP's is High End Loft Stuff, Diesel Stuff, Town Life and Master Suite; I decided to go for High End Loft and either a SP or IP this time around)

:( I'm hoping there will be an off-season sale at Steam for The Sims 3 after this main summer sale is over. I've looked at Amazon.com too and they don't have a sale for TS3 either. There are other digital game stores out there, but I don't know how reliable they are.

But take heart. I think TS3 would have to go on sale sooner or later this year. You can save that money and add more to it as you wait, so by the time the sale is on, you can get all of them and finish your collection all at once!

• WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    I suspect the main reason that Sims 3 isn't on sale on Steam is so it doesn't distract from the launch of Sims 4 on Steam. Hopefully there will be a sale in autumn.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I think it will go on sale later nothing has really gone as normal this year
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    I suspect the main reason that Sims 3 isn't on sale on Steam is so it doesn't distract from the launch of Sims 4 on Steam. Hopefully there will be a sale in autumn.

^ I think this is very much possible
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I stopped checking steam sales because i got all the eps i wanted and i dont really care for stuff packs, but yes it could be that they didnt want both games to be on sale at the same time. I wish steam sold simpoints! I feel like they might have better chances of going on sale if they were sold there.
    fmil wrote: »
    I stopped checking steam sales because i got all the eps i wanted and i dont really care for stuff packs, but yes it could be that they didnt want both games to be on sale at the same time. I wish steam sold simpoints! I feel like they might have better chances of going on sale if they were sold there.

Yes, I think the EPs are more important than the stuff packs since they add major gameplay features, but the stuff packs have some really nice things too! They come in handy when a stuff pack has something that an EP has that you don't want to load. For example, the all-in-one bathroom that only takes up one tile is really handy. That was first introduced in the Island Paradise EP and there was also a different model in Into the Future. The Movie SP has one too that looks like an outhouse, but you can use it indoors too if you change its color and pattern. So if you don't feel like installing Island Paradise or Into the Future, but still want an all-in-one, you can just install The Movie SP.

I agree with you - I would have loved it if simpoints were also sold at Steam! The last time I bought any was during Sims 3's 10th Anniversary and the simpoints were 50% off at Origin.

I also have the Mass Effect Trilogy (EA customer service gave it to me free when one of the first two games I bought from Steam wouldn't register on Origin so I basically got Mass Effect 3 free) and bought the DLC bundles for Mass 2 and 3 on sale at Origin for money instead of buying points to get it. Points there are so expensive!

• Hal2003Hal2003 Posts: 27 Member
    EA even removed the Sims 3 bundle from Steam (base game, Generations, Seasons and Pets).
    Hal2003 wrote: »
    EA even removed the Sims 3 bundle from Steam (base game, Generations, Seasons and Pets).

WHAT?!??? (*Runs over to Steam to check it out!*)

Taking out a popular bundle so people would have to buy them separately? Oh that is such a low blow!

I remembered that once in a while, they used to bundle the WHOLE collection for super cheap, like under $100!

Oh...they know that Sims 3 is selling now...and that's why. :mrgreen: Ooooh...tactics. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    On Facebook. Look for Instant Gaming. Sims 3 very cheap on there all the time. I bought most of mine on there.
    Lilia1971 wrote: »
    On Facebook. Look for Instant Gaming. Sims 3 very cheap on there all the time. I bought most of mine on there.

I'm reading the reviews and some are unable to activate the game so some sellers there are not reliable. I think people need to be cautious and carefully review the sellers before buying from them there.

• Hal2003Hal2003 Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2020
    I will be very careful now with Instant Gaming they changed ownership and they deleted all people money from wallet on IG, some people lost over 100 euro they got offer with paypal transfer as wallet is now limited to 99,99, but after some days IG still saying processing the payment.

IG is selling own keys, i got most of Sims 3 stuff there, i had there only one time problem with Monte Vista key, but it was resolved withing 24 hours with a new key.
  • Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    I’ve never had a problem. They don’t have different sellers on there. I also don’t keep money in a wallet. Just lay on my card when I buy anything.