Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Planning our game can be overwhelming

So, I want to share some stuff that I have been up to for a year now and how it has effect me and my game.

Since last summer, I decided to entirely re-build all my worlds. It was frustrating enough as it is due to the forced lot placement- size- environment scenery restrictions. It took me months of deciding, editing, then again changing my mind due to those restrictions, re-doing everything, cause it also became 'outdated' with the release of new packs etc. and then again changing my planning project system etc. I am still not there btw... *sigh*
Then I came to the conclusion that I do not want to continue my household stories, when I am in the middle of this great building project, so haven't really fully played for almost a year now. But i am eager to. Just can't, cause I feel my worlds are a mess.
I learned some great game play improvement methods here and there where the creation of clubs and the sims behavior within, could have a huge impact on how my game would run. It would be more realistic, more logic, more organized and specific lots would be visited by sims that actually make sense to gather around in such places.
Then I soon realized that I would delete the 'unwanted' sims and then also need a lot more new sims in my game that were actually made by real people instead of the randomizer we all have in our game. Sims just don't make sense when it's left up to a computer. I would need a bunch of sims that would fill up the 100 (I am exaggerating) clubs I had in mind to give my world a lively vibe where my households could actually really successfully find friends, soulmates, other celebrity friends or just use certain sims along their journey in their life. The circle needed to be bigger to not bump in the same sims all the time as well.
Meanwhile, I daily stroll on Instagram and see SO many good sims 4 builds that I want and need in my game (I tell myself). I save them and have to make another side plan to actually find ways to have them fit with my other plan and then again.. the many lot restrictions. Half of my builds in the world are my own and the other half are from other creators that i tried to fit in due to these restrictions. Even in this way, I still spend so much time editing. It's crazy.

What I am trying to say is, shouldn't this all just be a lot easier??!! I am close to a year to make my game nice and fun to play with, but it has been a serious pain to do so. Do you think it is important for the developers to make this a lot easier in the future? I believe so. And how?
Starting by editing the town from the world map, an open world with free lot placement of any size, choosing scenery, climate and other world behaviour and background drops/builds, choosing behavior of sims in each sub-hood like we got in the latest pack, but more focus on that for the future of The Sims. Also creating clubs from the world map just through the manage sims/household menu.

Every few days I start my game with some new motivation to start working on my projects again, but I soon enough feel overwhelmed by the restricted options and lack of ease when it comes to editing OUR world in the way we desire with simple tools like: editing, creating clubs and setting sub-hood behavior.

What's you opinion about this and have you gone through something similar like this where you wanted to re-do your entire worlds? Let's talk about it :)

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I do build a lot in my worlds, but I do it gradually, especially as many builds need to be tested in game. Not everything works as expected, then stuff needs to be re-adjusted, etc. It would have been so much nicer if we had a CAW system. Also, I find building in TS4 so very tedious, the catalogue is huge and we have to search through it only two rows at a time, seriously who thought this was a good idea? Also, don't like that everything needs to be a room, sometimes I want to delete a wall and accidentally delete the whole thing.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    @FurSimsOfficial Let me put it this way...: "You're a micromanager, Harry!" ;)
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Nooooooooo I wrote so much and it all dissapeared!!!! Ugh. I'll come back later 😑
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited June 2020
    I was like that with TS3. It took me ages to get a world just exactly how I wanted -- custom builds and custom NPCs, all with their own job histories, relationships, and backstories. However, I loved doing it. The preparation was half the fun. Once the game actually started, I enjoyed watching the world grow and change over time.

I don't get that same satisfaction from TS4, unfortunately. The worlds are always the same no matter what lots I put down and the NPCs don't change at all unless I have a direct hand in it or I use a mod. I stick to storytelling for one extended family -- free will off, the pose player mod, and hundreds of poses in full effect. All of the other Sims who aren't in the story are ignored. (Unless they photobomb a screenshot in a horrible outfit. In which case, they get insta-killed.)

I say all of that to say: if you don't enjoy the prep work, OP, don't do it. However, if you do enjoy it, carry on. It helps to add a greater sense of connection to the game. ;)

I agree one hundred percent that players should be allowed more customization options and that customization should be possible from the main screen. Setting up clubs is unnecessarily cumbersome.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    @FurSimsOfficial Let me put it this way...: "You're a micromanager, Harry!" ;)

You know the funny part. I never was and I used to read others simmers story when they micro managed every single thing in town and I was like 'oh god.. headache. I don't even want to bother what all those other sims are doing.' And now, I am thinking that this is a whole new level of playing this game since townies basically ruin everything :D They NEED to be taken care of.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I have never related so much to a forum post as much as this one. YES TO EVERYTHING YOU SAID! I really wish that whenever a new pack launches, maxis would update their default new game save to accomodate all the new features. Default sims in worlds besides Windenburg should all be in clubs, all lots outside of San Myshuno should have a default line up of lot traits, some households outside of Brindleton Bay should be updated with pets, sims living in worlds pre seasons launch need a default hot and cold weather outfit instead of the constantly randomised ones they get, all sims living outside of Del Sol Valley should be updated with appropriate reputation and fame levels, Sims should be updated to have degrees, young adult and older sims should be updated to have character value traits, etc.

I also tried making my own save file from scratch, multiple attempts through and I also encountered similair struggles. Until I finally nail down my own personal default save, I use a variety of other players custom save files and adjust a couple things here and there to my liking, but even then the way I play is so specific that even these custom save files don't have everything I am looking for. Even setting up a game using a custom save can be tedious when I'm thinking about an elaborate story amongst a variety of households.

But yes, some quality of life improvements to help make managing worlds, lots, households, clubs, etc. easier would be greatly appreciated.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    @filipomel

quote="filipomel;c-17558360"] I really wish that whenever a new pack launches, maxis would update their default new game save to accomodate all the new features. Default sims in worlds besides Windenburg should all be in clubs, all lots outside of San Myshuno should have a default line up of lot traits, some households outside of Brindleton Bay should be updated with pets, sims living in worlds pre seasons launch need a default hot and cold weather outfit instead of the constantly randomised ones they get, all sims living outside of Del Sol Valley should be updated with appropriate reputation and fame levels, Sims should be updated to have degrees, young adult and older sims should be updated to have character value traits, etc. But yes, some quality of life improvements to help make managing worlds, lots, households, clubs, etc. easier would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Agreed on you two!!!!

Even though i have no passion in building and creating (bad it) i tend to be the ''urban planner'' who likes sims with backstories and fitting houses. It would give the sims a sence of story progression. I dont wanna go and update all of this things by myself. So grateful for people like lilsimsie who do save files and think about updating these sims accordingly. EA maybe did this with the pancakes... giving them a toodler. I think they should at least release more updated houses and sims to the gallery so the players who dont wanna bother can decide. Because it is such a hassle, espacially if you rely on the gallery.

• simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Yes, I have very similar issues with TS4. I just started planning a new save AGAIN. (I'm tempted to eventually play Eco Living.) It takes forever to "set up." I'll always be setting up some things or at least have hefty simming to-do lists, perhaps, and not just in TS4, but it's a PAIN in TS4.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I was like that with TS3. It took me ages to get a world just exactly how I wanted -- custom builds and custom NPCs, all with their own job histories, relationships, and backstories. However, I loved doing it. The preparation was half the fun. Once the game actually started, I enjoyed watching the world grow and change over time.

I don't get that same satisfaction from TS4, unfortunately. The worlds are always the same no matter what lots I put down and the NPCs don't change at all unless I have a direct hand in it or I use a mod. I stick to storytelling for one extended family -- free will off, the pose player mod, and hundreds of poses in full effect. All of the other Sims who aren't in the story are ignored. (Unless they photobomb a screenshot in a horrible outfit. In which case, they get insta-killed.)

I say all of that to say: if you don't enjoy the prep work, OP, don't do it. However, if you do enjoy it, carry on. It helps to add a greater sense of connection to the game. ;)

I agree one hundred percent that players should be allowed more customization options and that customization should be possible from the main screen. Setting up clubs is unnecessarily cumbersome.

I agree the only thing about CAW it had an steep learning curve where it frustrated me but hey at least it was offered and I just DL'ed everyone else's creation and I must say most was just beautiful and I forget some of the user's names whose creations just blew me away. I just wish I could make make own lots and Neighborhoods because the neighborhoods are just too small even though the option to connect Neighborhoods is an plus but sometimes it just don't work with my plans so my rule is not as big.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've tried to set a starting save file at my liking but i found that it was very hard work and eventually gave up. I wish it was easier.

So now i just start with the default save file. As my stories develop i download builds and/or families that'll fit them from the gallery.

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Planning my current save file was not that difficult. I did have to redo all lots and delete sims that do not fit my gameplay. Right now in a decades save file, and a majority of the modern era items are not allowed. Took me a weekend to get every world set up. While I did use some gallery sims and builds, they had to fit my starting decade. Playing started in 1850 and will progress multiple generations until I get to current day. Right now, through gameplay, I made it to 1910. It is fun for me as a history buff.

Other saves are much easier to start/plan out. My asylum challenge took almost no effort since you can ignore the rest of the world. I also have a base save file to start up games, instead of hitting "new game" it makes the planning of a new save very easy and I have been working on that base save for a year now.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Anyone hate when you make a new save game, you gotta fill in Newcrest...AGAIN ;-; again and again and again and again.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited June 2020
    Anyone hate when you make a new save game, you gotta fill in Newcrest...AGAIN ;-; again and again and again and again.

Starting over with TS4 is dead boring. I haven't done that since about 2015/2016.

Once I finally had the game the way that I liked it, I saved it and set it aside. Through spontaneous use, I eventually added better builds and features to the file that I was actually using. So every so often, I'd set aside of copy of that and make it my new template for the future.

I've also found it useful to save my favorite Sims/families before I start a story -- just in case something goes wrong. As they evolve and grow, sometimes I update their saves. That way, when I feel the need to start a different story, I can pop them right in. In the new story, they can serve as NPCs that already have skills, jobs, relationships, and are dressed sanely.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to start a game completely fresh is if I enjoy doing that. In TS4, I really don't.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I just start with the default. I have had grand plans to make a better default but really I like playing not planning and building for very long so I always give up because it's just not fun to me after awhile. So I usually get some burning idea for a type/theme save game I want and just add to it as I go now. When I'm feeling super enthused to make a new family and a house for the world then I do it. If it's a themed save I might spend a lot of time making the characters but kind of keep them floating in managed worlds until I get their houses ready so that I can actually play between to keep my interest going. I try to throw in some basics if I'm sure the save is going to last (Restaurants, Spa, Bowling Alley ect...). Then just take it from there.

For me I don't want to have to rebuild a world/ the surroundings and backdrops and all of that stuff- it would be like pulling teeth to have to redesign that for any themed save idea I had. Maybe I'm not seeing how it could be easily done anyway and certainly not seeing it applied to the current game. Now I just pick the neighborhoods that I feel best represent my cast of characters and have them live in those. At this point I'm only missing a few settings I want to see in the game eventually actually because we have so many now.

If they can make all that easy for us non-builders in the next game ... I guess by having a bunch of premade "worlds" to select from that are very detailed I'd be happy to try it out... Sim 4 worlds/backgrounds have kind of spoiled me. I know I will want this detail in the future. I can't/wouldn't enjoy trying to create a world like that and I don't want to spend that much time trying too. I just want a great setting to play in from the get go.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited July 2020
    I do delete everything Maxis, as far as possible in my games but once my houses and Sims are filling the worlds but that's as far as my micro management goes. I just go with the flow usually.

I've just gone back to Britechester and found my two elderly Sims' urns in the doorway of their enlarged "crammer" house and my six students lodging there studying to get into university. They now have a butler to look after them. She's not a vampire as they aren't allowed in the property....... got them sorted a bit. They've celebrated New Year in the pub with a lot of friends (including Judith), studied as a pack in the Library there and gone home to eat and sleep. Now I'm going to the Mill House in Evergreen Harbor and work on those two young adults as they look quite interesting and I'm checking out the lots and inhabitants to get hints before keeping, improving or deleting.........

I'm now going in again......I might take some time......... :o;)
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I wish there is an easy way to set clubs, fame and reputation in the household menu. That way we don't have to go to every household to create our custom clubs, and adjust fame on each household by entering the Livemode
  • staceyliannethompsonstaceyliannethompson Posts: 2 New Member
    Imagine being a console player. We can’t even create save files. Every single game I play, I have to replace townies, edit lots etc. It’s soo frustrating. I play on the Xbox one and feel like EA ignore console players totally.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Imagine being a console player. We can’t even create save files. Every single game I play, I have to replace townies, edit lots etc. It’s soo frustrating. I play on the Xbox one and feel like EA ignore console players totally.

Creating a save file just means you make one save file where you build and create townies. Then just load that saved game and create a new file via the "save as" option. I assumed that is part of the console options.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    @FurSimsOfficial, I rebuilt all of the lots and created all new sims (with back stories and relationship) as well. It also took me around a year to get it just right. As I got better with building, I updated the lots I didn't love and continue to do so. It is a very tedious project to take on but it's worth it in the end. I think I actually had almost as much fun rebuilding and creating sims as I do playing in my save file. I got overwhelmed and frustrated as well. Just hang in there it will be worth it in the end.

I wish we could edit more of the surrounding areas too, as well as Sims' relationships, careers, etc from manage worlds. As it is now, by the time everything is set up, it's no longer Sunday at 8:00am but Monday. As new packs come out, and you add to it, time progresses even more. I think in my populated save it's Monday afternoon because of fixing skills, relationships, ect.

Something I did to keep the time passage not as extreme is as after I make a household, I'll put them in another save (my building save file), fix the careers and skills. Then I'll save them to my Library and put them in the save. Then all I have to fix are the relationships.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    This is why i dread starting over. I have to place lots and kick some sims or add others i like more. It takes a while and it is not fun to do for me, but it is basic compared to all the things people do setting up a new game/save.
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 252 Member
    All I want for Christmas is to KILL that overbearing big brother EA\Maxis thing called, Autonomy.
    It is infuriating to see ones own command set being flicked aside for some coders idea of game play.

Lower the priority of autonomy so the computer OWNER has right of way.