Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this the start of Story Progression?

My sim just got these messages, guessing they're one of the new Eco Lifestyle messages but I thought it was interesting, I've never seen anything centered around story progression for other families built into the game before so I thought I'd share it!

edEJC8Z.png
DpQe60S.png

Comments

• PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Oddly enough, I got the same message from Tina Tinker lol.

I told her to go for it, but I was sceptical as to whether anything would actually happen but sure enough, a few Sim-days later she had the baby!

It would be cool to see more stuff like this.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    There were a couple of threads about this already. I've also seen sims ask about getting engaged and confessing their crushes to your sims.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Oh neat! I didn't think my answers would affect the game.

Recently my sim's girlfriend phoned him and said she found a ring in his bag and asked what she should do about it... uhm... so you were snooping through MY bag and now your talking to me like I'm not even your bf or... is there another bf?! I answered something like "what do you want" and she got mad at me for not making her mind up for her. :D At least in the text she did, she still came over later to hang out anyways like the phone call never happened.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I got this message from one of my Sims roommates in the Uni dorms. They are now dating, but my Sim had to ask him out on a date, nothing happened when I answered the text other than a message saying he was so happy she felt the same (or something like that). PA2EHb6.jpg
    (Sorry the quality is bad, I took a pic of my screen with my phone lol)
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Though this is a good start toward story progression, it would have been nice to have this as a base game update instead of in a pack.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Though this is a good start toward story progression, it would have been nice to have this as a base game update instead of in a pack.

It is a base game update as far as I know, as I think I've seen people say they have those without eco living?
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I don't have any of that and I also do have Eco lifestyle. Does someone know if this came with the base game for sure?
    Maybe I have some kind of an issue I don't know. My game is still the same.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    @SimmerGeorge
    BALANCING PASS OF PHONE CALL INVITATIONS
    After five years of Expansion Packs, Game Packs, and Stuff Packs our phone call invites were admittedly starting to get a little spammy. Moments after moving in, you’ve got Lucas Munch hitting you up, asking you to go to the Bluffs with him. Then not long after, you might have had Vivian Lewis asking you to join her at The Spice Festival. Jeez, let me get settled in first, why don’t ya? We’ve done a tuning pass to rebalance all of these previously competing Phone invites to give you a more meaningful and holistic experience.
    This is directly from the patch notes.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited June 2020
    I also think it's a start on story progression. I think they're going to add more of this in the future. And im glad they do :)

@SimmerGeorge it only happened once for me and im playing with EL already for a long time...
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited June 2020
    @SeaDragonSong @SimmerGeorge @telmarina @Kita5399

Its been confimed by one of gurus on twitter that the new phone calls are from the eco lifestyle pack.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/977019/can-anyone-with-twitter-confirm#latest
    Edit: fifth post down.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    @fruitsbasket101 oh nooooo. I might have to buy the pack just for the phonecalls. Why?! :(
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited June 2020
    @Camkat wrote: »
    Oh neat! I didn't think my answers would affect the game.

Recently my sim's girlfriend phoned him and said she found a ring in his bag and asked what she should do about it... uhm... so you were snooping through MY bag and now your talking to me like I'm not even your bf or... is there another bf?! I answered something like "what do you want" and she got mad at me for not making her mind up for her. :D At least in the text she did, she still came over later to hang out anyways like the phone call never happened.

Unfortunately this is exactly where TS4 is lacking. The re-tuning of Sim invites and phone calls in order to give the player ‘a more meaningful and holistic experience‘ is definitely a step in the right direction.

But no matter how meaningful the text is, if the emotion of the Sim who texted is not carried over to whenever an actual, face to face interaction takes place, it can’t be called meaningful. The sim’s indifference to that memory renders anything that happend prior to the meeting completely redundant an was ultimately non-existent.

That an npc can get a baby when you give them that advice, great. But this kind of story progression has to go all the way to be truly effective. The emotion and memories of Sims have to reflect the fact that a specific communication took place. Sims need to remember and care.

Don’t just Tell. SHOW.
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
    edited June 2020
    @fruitsbasket101 oh nooooo. I might have to buy the pack just for the phonecalls. Why?! :(

Non-pack related story progression should be core to the base game. Always. It’s absurd that a player would have to buy an entire theme pack for that. I hope these phone calls will be patched into BG in the future.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    edited June 2020
    Deleted (didn’t mean to double post)
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Deleted.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

I like this. Something new and fun happens and I can still say no if the game have matched up sims who should not get involved in my story.

Currently I am making clubs and trying to get my sims to find a good partner but I would not like story progression where the game decides everything. That would make me go offline and never return.

Glad that they are taking things step by step to see how it works out.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    I have been waiting and I still haven't gotten that call my sims must not have enough friends...yes I know it's random but I'll say it's that, it would be cool if it was like this. I feel like when we have to wait for certain features the budget starts getting moved around and they can be better than if they had been basegame so if this is the start I think's it's a good point cause it gives the control a lot of people want while still being there better than a toggle I think.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

Non-pack related story progression should be core to the base game. Always. It’s absurd that a player would have to buy an entire theme pack for that. I hope these phone calls will be patched into BG in the future.

I have the pack and agree, it should be base game.

However, the asked a lot about story progression stuff in that recent poll and it'd have been too soon for them to create that yet, maybe this was just a little addition almost like a test before implementing it for everyone? Maybe they'll roll out a bigger update next year or the one after or something with proper story progression for everyone (and a toggle off for people who don't want it) (Hopefully not just wishful thinking haha)

However, the asked a lot about story progression stuff in that recent poll and it'd have been too soon for them to create that yet, maybe this was just a little addition almost like a test before implementing it for everyone? Maybe they'll roll out a bigger update next year or the one after or something with proper story progression for everyone (and a toggle off for people who don't want it) (Hopefully not just wishful thinking haha)

It may be a test. But then it should be tested with the wider audience in order to get more substantial feedback.
    If the audience doesn't like it, it's just as easy to take it out.

It may be a test. But then it should be tested with the wider audience in order to get more substantial feedback.

I didn't mean a test as to whether we like it, the survey would have told them that, more a test to see if it works without bugs/glitches, which is better rolled out small first. But I do agree, Story Progression shouldn't be tied to a pack. That being said, I want it. If enough people don't want it and it can't be turned on and off maybe a pack would be better for them? Right now with the phone calls it seems optional, just answer no, but maybe future versions won't be? So a bit torn that way... If a real version ever comes in to play and IS tied to a pack though, I think it should be a generations style pack where it would make more sense.

I didn't mean a test as to whether we like it, the survey would have told them that, more a test to see if it works without bugs/glitches, which is better rolled out small first. But I do agree, Story Progression shouldn't be tied to a pack. That being said, I want it. If enough people don't want it and it can't be turned on and off maybe a pack would be better for them? Right now with the phone calls it seems optional, just answer no, but maybe future versions won't be? So a bit torn that way... If a real version ever comes in to play and IS tied to a pack though, I think it should be a generations style pack where it would make more sense.

Any bugs or glitches will have to affect Base Game, because it contains the core engine of the game. Without it you can't play other packs. Bug testing always runs through BG before it reaches expansion content.

I think that future phone calls will have options as well, so I don't think you have to worry too much. Stories shouldn't be forced onto the player. I might be completely wrong but I doubt that another sim will force your sim to go on a date with them. I think you will always have the option to say no. ;)

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I have the pack since release and have never seen this. :(

Any bugs or glitches will have to affect Base Game, because it contains the core engine of the game. Without it you can't play other packs. Bug testing always runs through BG before it reaches expansion content.

I think that future phone calls will have options as well, so I don't think you have to worry too much. Stories shouldn't be forced onto the player. I might be completely wrong but I doubt that another sim will force your sim to go on a date with them. I think you will always have the option to say no. ;)

I meant so that ifthere are bugs they affect less people is all.
    But yeah, I'm not worried at all since I like Story Progression and want it haha. I just know some people don't.

But yeah, I'm not worried at all since I like Story Progression and want it haha. I just know some people don't.

I get ya. Not sure if that’s how they work, but it might be. Same way laptops were only available in Strangerville prior to the patch that included them.
    It would be interesting to see If and how they flesh out Story Progression for sure.

I get ya. Not sure if that’s how they work, but it might be. Same way laptops were only available in Strangerville prior to the patch that included them.
    It would be interesting to see If and how they flesh out Story Progression for sure.

For sure, and yeah I dunno either. Just a guess/theory. I wish we had something more like what MCCC does in game, with loads of options haha! I prefer not adding mods in and people on Console don't even have the option. But I kinda doubt we're gonna get that.