Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you prefer to make Sims 3 harder?

I have a theory I would like to test. :)

Elaborate as much as you want.

Do you prefer to make Sims 3 harder? 65 votes

I prefer to make Sims 3 more challenging and I play on Short or Medium life span.
1%
XDSelenaPotter 1 vote
I prefer to make Sims 3 more challenging and I play on Normal life span.
20%
pisceschick75Starsaphire2ParyPaikallinenSimplyJenRsandabecks1112affleck11KelvinGoulsquashpuzzlezaddictSaintcEldrai 13 votes
I prefer to make Sims 3 more challenging and I play on Long life span.
6%
yoashmoigazorMcToshingridmf 4 votes
I prefer to make Sims 3 more challenging and I play on Epic life span.
12%
SikoahGraceLadyGreenEyesDarkLady2788AlexaKrymw1525deadhaus123YuriTheCreatorcatlikingboy 8 votes
I prefer to make Sims 3 more challenging and I have aging turned off.
3%
CravenLestatLinamints 2 votes
Although I may play various Sims 3 challenges normally I don't need to make things harder and I play on Short or Medium life span.
0%
... normally I don't need to make things harder and I play on Normal life span.
13%
PlayerSinger2010alexandreaMikezumicwaddelljordandSimtown15SummerRoxyBrandontaylorIVXXXVI 9 votes
... normally I don't need to make things harder and I play on Long life span.
15%
carlystur03AbellaKellaherSurrealDillynJamesIreneSwiftcole4mineBridgetKVcocoPalmArrowKynan 10 votes
... normally I don't need to make things harder and I play on Epic life span.
10%
Emily4331Anmirlabecomingjennbekkasanilikethesims30Nikkei_SimmerTurjan 7 votes
... normally I don't need to make things harder and I have aging turned off.
16%
ArchivistApparentlyAwesomeemorrillFairyLights1jillbgGabbyGirlJSuzyCue72ZeeGeeRedShoe7ClarionOfJoyKeiomestre 11 votes

Comments

• cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I like to play various scenarios but most are not that challenging. Just a way to experience different aspects of the game. Because I play on normal life span any one sim can only do so much in their lifetime.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I don't play the Sims 3 to 'beat a challenge'. I play to relax and enjoy my sims lives and push their stories it I'm playing one of my story families.
    If I want a challenge I'll go play some RPG game like The Witcher or a Tomb Raider game depending on my mood.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    I don't care much one way or the other. I love having a challenging start, but I also love to try all the wacky things the game allows you to do without having to look at my cash balance. The nice thing is that the game allows you to mix styles up as you want it at a specific moment.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I have absolutely no desire to make the game harder or more "challenging" than it already is, since I play it only for fun and relaxation.

And I've had both aging and story progression turned off from day one. That's because I don't want my little simmie darlings to die, or be deleted, ever!
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    ... I love having a challenging start, but I also love to try all the wacky things the game allows you to do without having to look at my cash balance. The nice thing is that the game allows you to mix styles up as you want it at a specific moment.

This.
    I make the game more challenging, by using some mods to make sims pay for things that are free, like taxi's, but I do appreciate how the game does give you the options to make a fair whack of money in a short time if that's what you want.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I mostly play on a normal lifespan but have played on a short lifespan and enjoyed that too. I have also played on a longer lifespan a couple of times but found it frustrating waiting to get through the generations. I have tried a couple of challenges over the years but they are not my cup of tea. I don't much care for rules imposed by other simmers. My sims live stress free, totally unrealistic, lives. If my sims are happy then I am happy. I play only for genetics and to relax.
  • yoashmoyoashmo Posts: 528 Member
    edited August 2019
    I like to play on long, with teen, adult, and young adult maxed on the slider.
    But I've got a ton of mods that make everything harder and cost more money. I have story progression charge my Sims money just to exist daily, taxis are $30, subways are $7 for children, $12 for teens, and $15 for young adults and adults, $10 for elders. Their twice weekly bills are doubled. Coffee from a coffee machine on a community lot cost them money. No free quick meals or any food in the fridge unless purchased from the grocery store.
    I find it too easy for Sims to make money so I throw in as many hurdles as possible. I'm not above raising the prices of buy mode items either if I think they're too cheap.
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It's not so much I like a more challenging game as I do a more detailed one. A more detailed game brings challenges of its own just through normal game play.

I have mods installed in my game but none which affect the flow of time such as NRaas' Relativity; To me, there is a challenge in time-management which keeps my brain engaged. Yep, I like my Sim days ticking by one minute every second.

In my game, everyone must be who they say they are. Doctors have to be able to help the sick, extend the living and (if needed) revive the dead. Chef's have to cook food which is worth in quality the simoleons they are charging for it. Government has to work with Military, Science, Medical and Business to make the world the best it can be to keep the population thriving and happy.

My game play affects the entire town (or world). I view my Sims as a smaller part of a much larger whole, the townies of the world are just as important to me as the Sims I create. I watch over and care about them all. So, every choice I make in game will have a domino effect on the other residents of the world (sometimes a small effect, sometimes a larger one).

I don't mind the concept of the rabbit hole job, but I feel it could have been fleshed out a bit more. I rebuild (or eliminate depending on location) most of the rabbit-hole buildings and custom build my own using the RH rugs. I create (non-modded) employment positions by expanding on what the game has with creative game play techniques. Likewise, I add buildings and jobs which I feel are needed to bring a town to life such as a television station (for journalist who deliver the news) or a recording studio or radio station for singers or 'voice over' actors to name just a couple.

I like my Sims to have the best education they can, that requires me 'training' Sims who can actually teach them not just skills but better social behaviors. I like my Sims to have quality homes, this requires making certain all of my builds have been Sim upgrade-ed before they go on market. I also like my Sims (all Sims) to have the best quality foods available when they eat out (all food is made fresh) by a Sim with level 10 cooking skill who has made each dish (singularly) until the quality was the highest. The towns food supply requires highly productive farms and farmers. Community gardens have all been replanted with perfect vegetation for those who are learning 'food' trades.

There's so much more I do to my worlds and game but I think you get the idea ;)!
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited August 2019
    I have a pretty long life span for my sims so I can concentrate more on story details and enjoy more time with them. Child-Elder is 28 days each (A whole sim-year, at least until I expand it to add more holidays) Baby and Toddler are shorter lengths, but toddler is still longer than baby so I have time to teach them things. I'm slowly getting mods to make things challenging though.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well there goes my theory out the window. I had this idea that those who played with longer life spans added challenges or made the game harder to keep it interesting and that those who played on normal or shorter life spans found the game challenging enough as is. Since neither of those ideas seems to be universally true it just goes to show how great this game is that we can each customize it to fit how we want to play.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Keep them coming. I find it interesting how much variety there is in playing this game.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I normally play on Long or Epic lifespan or with aging turned off, and I normally want the game to be moderately challenging (I like starting up with very little money and skills and building up, but I don't want the sim to suffer or their life to be in danger).

But for me there is no correlation between lifespan and how challenging the game is. When I play on Long or Epic, I usually abandon the save when the sim has achieved what I set as the goal. I don't like seeing sims grow old and die. When I make an exception and play on Normal, it is specifically because I want to see the future generations. That's what my decision about lifespan depends on - whether the game is challenging or not doesn't even enter the picture.

(I don't actually care that much at all about the game being challenging! I guess I see the Sims more as an interactive work of fiction that as a game.)
  • LadyGreenEyesLadyGreenEyes Posts: 928 Member
    I like things harder, and love big families, which take a lot more effort. I prefer the epic lifespan, so they have time, as we do in real life! Plus, you can do so much more with the various sims, then, and try a lot more things.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I don't feel the need to make things harder although friends have told me that playing household with as many sims as I like is challenging. I added mods because I wanted bigger households. I like the big families, at the very least 12 including pets, although I think I have a couple of households that will exceed that down the line.

I don't really view it as hard to keep up with but I micromanage and it's fun for me. Sometimes they drop to orange but it's rare. I also switch households a lot so I play with aging off most of the time to have enough fun with the sims in every household then cut it back on to age them when I'm ready.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    edited August 2019
    I prefer to make Sims 3 more challenging and I play with a custom modded lifespan much longer than Epic life span.

I have several "hard mode" mods that I further tweaked myself. Money, careers, food, fires, moods, etc. Though I noticed since my Sims have lower moods due to this (two of these mods affect this), I needed to throw in a mod to make university easier or their realistic moods would cause them to flunk out. I learned after one week this way that exams factor moods too heavily for me. That, to me, doesn't count as making the game easier, just re-balancing since I handicapped their moods. I play for more realism when it comes to the realistic aspects of the game (while embracing magic and such in those separate ways).
    yoashmo wrote: »
    I like to play on long, with teen, adult, and young adult maxed on the slider.
    But I've got a ton of mods that make everything harder and cost more money. I have story progression charge my Sims money just to exist daily, taxis are $30, subways are $7 for children, $12 for teens, and $15 for young adults and adults, $10 for elders. Their twice weekly bills are doubled. Coffee from a coffee machine on a community lot cost them money. No free quick meals or any food in the fridge unless purchased from the grocery store.
    I find it too easy for Sims to make money so I throw in as many hurdles as possible. I'm not above raising the prices of buy mode items either if I think they're too cheap.

"I'm not above raising the prices of buy mode items either if I think they're too cheap."

I've wanted to figure out how to do this. The (very nice) changing table is dirt cheap. My baby CC is often less "nice" and more expensive than the store baby stuff. :weary: Meanwhile, I want to do the opposite with things like that grungy old couch that's far from the dirt cheap it ought to be. I never use that thing and I was so excited to get it from the store. For some reason, when I Googled this, I didn't find a solution.
    Post edited by simmerLella on
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I've been playing on a long lifespan (with Nraas Relativity) - and my version of making things more difficult is no gathering and no self-employment. :wink: They do fairly well regardless - it just takes a bit longer. If I find they just have too much money, well... I know cheats and WILL use them!! lol This happens more often if I'm doing a Legacy or some other kind of challenge that includes several generations (but that's played on a normal lifespan). This way there's still something for the later generations to do.

Sorry we're not supporting your theory. :smile:
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    My preferred type of challenge is in my sims' skill, career, and relationship goals, not in dealing with lack of funds. I have played homeless sims on rare occasions, but that's not really my thing. I almost never use money cheats at all, and prefer for my sims to become prosperous enough to at least afford a house big enough for their household size and the skill and recreational equipment to keep them productively and happily occupied. As far as all of the "too easy" ways for sims to make money, I much prefer to just stick with their career, maybe one or two skills that will bring in some extra cash now and then, and opportunities. If I need them to get better kitchen appliances, showers, and beds, and skill equipment early in the game, so I can focus on their real goals, I'll send them to the WA worlds to do some adventuring, but unless I have a sim who is doing something like alchemy, where they need to collect things, I prefer to avoid collecting, including picking flowers, entirely. I don't like collecting, except in WA tombs.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    god yes. i use no fridge shopping, higher bills and use nraas to make income tax & property tax and several other mods :)
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • EldraiEldrai Posts: 25 Member
    In my current legacy, I've downloaded a mod for harder bills, though they've got into the hundreds of thousands so it doesn't really matter any more. I just want some sort of a challenge. I should probably try some of the harder LTWs.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    It depends on the story or challenge I'm playing, but I'm mostly fine with it the way it is. I like the fact though that I can make it more challenging or easier with mods and I do use them for very specific things. I mostly keep aging off until I feel that my sims have done all they could in that age bracket and then age them up.

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I don't play the Sims 3 to 'beat a challenge'. I play to relax and enjoy my sims lives and push their stories it I'm playing one of my story families.

This quote from @bekkasan pretty much sums up my opinion succinctly as well. Thank you, @bekkasan. :smile:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~