Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disgusting Concepts

Comments

• orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    Gross and quirky is fun though imo. Give me trash woohoo, farting, belching, bagheads, kleptos. Gosh I don't want to my sims world to be full of smiling Pinterest moms... sorry. I like the meat wall too, I think it's funny. but hey that's me
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    I think this is exactly what The Sims 4 needs. More silly, weird and kind of off-putting things. I've was bored of everything being so normal and perfect.

Gross and quirky is fun though imo. Give me trash woohoo, farting, belching, bagheads, kleptos. Gosh I don't want to my sims world to be full of smiling Pinterest moms... sorry. I like the meat wall too, I think it's funny. but hey that's me

I have found my people. <3
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member

What I always liked about the sims is the silly, immature and slapstick humor.

When I look back at the first two games those two were real risky in the humor and it was funny. :p
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

Speaking of this, I have noticed a few of my Sims farting and belching randomly now. They never did it before EL or the EL patch and they don’t have the “Bad Manners” or whatever it’s called from Parenthood. I wonder if they tuned it up intentionally.
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member

Are you new to the games? Dumpster diving was a thing in previuos games and sims can even rummage through trashcans. In one of the packs you can even go to a junkyard and gather scraps and furniture, and sims 2 might have had something similar but i am not sure. I would not say the series is changing since the previous games had this aspect too. Maybe the only difference is that you got a focued pack for it in ts4, but still. It seems that you can avoid the things you did not like in this pack while enjoying the other aspects, but this is just what i think as i dont have this pack to confirm.
  • SintheaSinthea Posts: 29 Member
    Honestly, bugs are a delicacy in much of the world and a part of many local diets worldwide. To treat it as somehow wrong could be considered offensive to some. That aside, it is a renewable source of protein without the environmental harm that mass farming beef, pork and chicken has. It's something that has been floated within the western world for years and never gotten traction because it's viewed as beneath us in North America and western Europe. Mass farming for slaughter is actually one of the largest sources of greenhouse gasses- a lot of land is used to graze, a lot of methane is produced- if the land was used for produce that wouldn't be the case. (this being said, I still love me a steak)

Also, I grew up poor. Dumpster diving and salvaging was a part of my life until as recently as 5 years ago and it is for many people. There's been demand from many of us to allow and provide us with ways to play alternative lifestyles, economic situations and living situations and EA has done great in stepping up. We now not only have single family homes but apartments, dorms, group living/roommates, off the grid living and now a feasible and realistic way to play homeless sims. This opens so many doors to the stories we can tell.
    It's just one of those days...
    Remaking the Apocalypse Challenge
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    It's funny. There's a lot to criticize about the pack, but I never thought very optional (and sometimes funny) things like the meat wall, the bugs and the dumpsters would be deal breakers for anyone lol. Is a pee-soaked bush any better?

I understand finding it gross, I mean, I would never touch an insect in real life and I don't really plan on using that particular item, but it certainly does not offend me that it's there.

And these are far from the grimmest features in the game (I've accidentally had pools filled with floating corpses, it's a sight). If anything, the pack isn't grim enough lol. It's too easy to go green.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited June 2020
    I quite like the concept. I can see why people wouldn't, but you do have to point out the fact that those are relatively small features in a much larger pack with much of the "happier, family-friendly, why is this rated T and not E" stuff that I can tell OP would probably really like.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2020
    Sims has always been grim and dark and have tongue to cheek humor since the beginning. But boy I do miss cake dancing and cage dancing. I am so glad I wasn't coddled as a young Simmer when I started in my teens with the Sims. With this iteration starting off with potty humor with talking toilets, I am glad it is venturing towards the rooted humor the franchise was built on with quirky and dark humor again.

I was talking with a coworker how games now of days are too easy and child friendly like Fortnite for example. Nice to have the Sims not catering to children and be worthy of a teen rating again.

Sims has always been about pushing the boundaries of what is politically acceptable and the norm since the beginning and what has made me love it for so many years. But yes if people only knew what really happened to the food they bought at the store with the processes it had to go through or what happens with real farming. ;)

Growing up near the beach, well there are more "disgusting" places than a dumpster people have woohooed. I remember walking down the main shopping street barefoot before and how caked on grime I got on them. Walmart floors aren't that much better either. Try shopping with white gloves at a Walmart and you'll see how dirty it really is and people buy food and clothing there all the time.

I am more grossed out by the everyday things people do like they do not wash their hands, cover their cough, spit in the streets, litter the streets with gum and other foreign objects from their mouths, pee on the side of the sidewalk, how many days people will go without showering and changing underwear, and putting their recycling in the trash can and outside the trash can.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • faerytechfaerytech Posts: 4 New Member
    I definitely have some negative feelings about it... the sims is the last place I want to deal with environmental issues. It's really weird altogether. People have been asking for chickens and cows and whatnot for ages... instead we get cuddly bugs??? The whole N.A.P system seems to be poking fun at certain beliefs, in a really confusing way, it makes me wonder what they were thinking when they created it. Why can you only make soy candles instead of beeswax candles, considering the fact that you have an almost otherwise useless beebox? Wouldn't that make it more useful and desirable? Why the meat wall??? Instead of creating a feature to make synthetic meat in the lab? There are some interesting features but a lot of the choices confuse me and seem almost to be like a spit in the face. "You wanted x feature? Here, we made it for you!" Except that it's all twisted and weird. Dumpster diving was a part of sims 3 and maybe earlier, useful for homeless sims and fine by me.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    faerytech wrote: »
    I definitely have some negative feelings about it... the sims is the last place I want to deal with environmental issues. It's really weird altogether. People have been asking for chickens and cows and whatnot for ages... instead we get cuddly bugs??? The whole N.A.P system seems to be poking fun at certain beliefs, in a really confusing way, it makes me wonder what they were thinking when they created it. Why can you only make soy candles instead of beeswax candles, considering the fact that you have an almost otherwise useless beebox? Wouldn't that make it more useful and desirable? Why the meat wall??? Instead of creating a feature to make synthetic meat in the lab? There are some interesting features but a lot of the choices confuse me and seem almost to be like a spit in the face. "You wanted x feature? Here, we made it for you!" Except that it's all twisted and weird. Dumpster diving was a part of sims 3 and maybe earlier, useful for homeless sims and fine by me.
    I have a feeling if people can't handle the meat wall, going to be hard to find out what happens to farm animals too. There was a show I used to watch called Dirty Jobs and went through a lot of the jobs people thought were tough to do including raising farm animals and selling parts of them. But yes the meat wall isn't even real meat, so is a tame version of actual real life farming.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Meat walls? It's innuendo
    But the meat wall was just to odd for me. Massage the meat. Name the meat.
    It's most definitely innuendo

Dumpster diving is a real world thing.

Dumpster woohoo?
    It depends on what trash is in there...
    Adam-Ant-Goody-Two-Shoes-The-Umbrella-Acadey.jpg

Wait! My favourite sim is named Trash...

And as a child even in America I remember my mom going through trash and bringing things home that looked almost new. In a short while we had so many nice second hand things!
    In Australia, 'hard waste' is usually left kerbside, I know people who have the majority of their furnishings by rescuing what others would throw away.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm utterly disgusted with all the dumpster interactions. I've used MCCC to make it so none of it happens autonomously in my game. I don't want to see my sims rummaging through trash. It's gross and not at all realistic to real life.

You must live in a very gentrified area. I see people rummaging through trash cans pretty much every time I leave the house.

I grew up in Los Angeles and have seen people rummage through the trash a lot. Especially on trash pick up day. A lot of them were grabbing cans and glass bottles for recycling and no telling what else. Then here in AZ on bulk trash pick up people rummage through your junk. It's fine as long as they don't make a mess....but some do..

Recycling bins are the go to for rummaging in my state. There's a 10 cent refund on many bottles, drink cans, and some cartons.

I really want the eco pack, it's gonna be part of my next bundle.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Meat walls...who wants that in their house? Are the Sims turning into 'Silent Hill'? WooHoo in a dumpster...there's nothing quite like saying 'I Love You' unless you've woohooed in a dumpster. Dumpster diving is equally uncool...that's what rats do! Literally!
    I'm so disappointed in this expansion...total let-down from start to finish. Bug growing and harvesting for fuel and food? Really??
    It's disgusting!...and I'm a poor working class guy! But this is grim and certainly not fun!

Minus the buggy spammy NAPs this pack is my favorite next to Seasons! It opens up Off the Grid gameplay in such a fun and satisfying way! It's really added to how I play the game. All the grimy dumpster filth and bug-eating is just cricket crunch flavored icing on my trash fruit cake!
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Speaking of this, I have noticed a few of my Sims farting and belching randomly now. They never did it before EL or the EL patch and they don’t have the “Bad Manners” or whatever it’s called from Parenthood. I wonder if they tuned it up intentionally.

Any of them slobs? That'll cause it too, I believe.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Oh, I think I read somewhere that some people dumpster dive behind businesses that sell electronics orout of date inventory to sell themselves.

Some larger bookstore chains (Waterstones in the UK being one of them) regularly leave bins or small skips out the back for pick up, filled with books destined for pulping or donations. They put them out before trash collection day so people can have a look and rummage and grab books they might find interesting.

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Where I live, stores often throw away perfectly good food that they just aren't allowed to have on the shelves because of rules regarding the expiration date. I know that some groups of well-doers go and grab it quickly, refridgerate it, and then either use it themselves or distribute it to folks with few means.

I still can't wrap my head around the "degrading" part in the OP post though. To me, it seems like a projection of values of something living onto something dead. Playing games in a healthy manner means that one can distinguish real from unreal and seperate themselves from whatever character they are playing. I mean, it's obviously okay to become inspired for storytelling and soforth - empathic ability is quite necessary to make characters "come alive" in that regard. But there is a line there somewhere.

I imagine that if something in a game comes too close to something unpleasant in one's real life for comfort, then it'll make one cringe away. But if that's the case, then I definitely feel it's that person's job to take a step back and look after themselves, as opposed to demanding some game be changed to suit their personal current circumstances. In case it's a kid, the parents should become involved with its gaming habits and try to shield it as much as possible from harmful effects.

Lastly, I think it's important to take into account that The Sims are cartoonish and always were. Crazy things happen in their universe. It's one of the hallmarks. That is something which needs to be there for it to be The Sims.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

IceyJ wrote: »

Nope
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

Nope

Are they evil?
    I've seen an evil sim fart.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i fully agree with the original poster as a player it do not fit with my playstyle so it will never happen in my game i prefer my sims to be neat and tidy but thats me as a player and well mannered
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    edited June 2020
    Movotti wrote: »

Nope

Are they evil?
    I've seen an evil sim fart.

That made me laugh lol I’ll have to check

ETA: His traits are Unflirty, Cheerful, and Creative.
    Post edited by Chazzzy on
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    I just want to say that in some countries, insects are a delicacy. Simmers that live in those countries deserve to have things familiar to them in their games just like you deserve your sunshine and rainbows. And sadly for some people, rummaging through the trash IS how they get their next meal. Just because you are fortunate enough for that to not be your reality doesn’t mean that it’s not a reality for others.

Sorry (not really) to burst anyone’s perfect little utopian bubble but soup kitchens, homeless shelters, etc are not the norm everywhere and are more often than not nonexistent. You never know someone’s backstory, or their parents or grandparents so saying this is or that is disgusting and no decent person would ever do this could be offensive and hurtful to some of your fellow simmers. Your “perfect” little corner is not the only corner of the world. Yes, this expansion pack costs $40 but it costs $0 to be kind and considerate.

My coworker (and fellow simmer) is from a country where they don’t have soup kitchens or homeless shelters. Before her family was able to seek asylum in the US, they slept on the streets and unfortunately some of their meals came from trash cans behind restaurants. Thankfully she doesn’t use the forums because I’m sure some of these comments would break her heart.

Yes, the game on your computer is your game to play however you want but this franchise was not designed solely for you or solely to represent one culture or country or lifestyle. Representation matters for every single person that pays for this game. I think we need a mind your manners and stop thinking you’re the only person in the universe or the only person allowed to be represented in a game stuff pack next. The tantrums that this community throws over diversity in content and gameplay is utterly exhausting.

This honestly brought tears to my eyes! I wish I could give you the best and biggest hug ever imaginable 💖
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I expect we will all be eating bugs in the next century so we might as well get used to eating some now. As my mum said when a caterpillar crawled out of my freshly picked raspberry, "It's all protein!" Put me off raspberries for life though. 🤮 <3

One thing I don't like about the pack is the recycled mattress. The thought of a Sim of mine sleeping on one that has been in the trashbin is something I would never use in the game, unless I wanted to create a homeless one some time. In real life, living in a crowded inner city, we get quite a few thrown out in the street by new rental tenants in spite of getting fines for doing it.
  • Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    After reviewing all the comments, I realise that negativity towards Sims 4 packs is met with a solid wall of support for said pack. How will the game get better if you all just love everything? Thank you EA, you're just SO wonderful, please take my money already...you're more than worth it!
    When I made this post I expected this...official Sims 4 forum is a happy-clappy, everything is wonderful, WE'RE having fun community. Negativity is not welcome. Good for all of you, I am a Sims 4 gamer too but have I not been lambasted, criticised and made fun of for having an opinion, and for expressing that opinion? Yes!
  • Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    I'm utterly disgusted with all the dumpster interactions. I've used MCCC to make it so none of it happens autonomously in my game. I don't want to see my sims rummaging through trash. It's gross and not at all realistic to real life.

You must live in a very gentrified area. I see people rummaging through trash cans pretty much every time I leave the house.

Yeah I live in a small village where people have better hygiene standards. :D

Thank you Sharonia...I thought I was living in some manky alternate universe.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top