Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If there is a 'The Sims 5' what year should it be announced, and what year should it be released?

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited June 2020
    @ClarionOfJoy There are always people who like a game no matter how bad. It is just a mix of what a specific person wants to do and what the game offers.

You can take the worst games of all time and you'll still find die-hard fans of it. No matter how many players are disappointed in EA and the Sims 4, there will always be those people that are attracted to the game.

It's weird but it's a phenomenon hehe.

NXOR007 wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy @SimmerGeorge

I think it's absolutely awesome that a player can enjoy a game the way @SimAlexandria does and that they can be content with something for what it is.

The biggest complaint about TS4 is that the sims have no unique characters, and yet somehow it's 'weird but a phenomenon' that people have a unique character in 'real life' because they choose to play a game in a way that suits their life and character and be fully content with it?

I'm flabbergasted.

I'm asking because so far, all the things described can be done - and better - in the previous iterations. Plus people can do even more in those.

That's exactly why I commented the way I did. ;)
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
    edited June 2020
    That being said, I dont 'have all the packs in Sims 3, so I didn't realise the conservationist career and island festivals were in that one (one of my fav things to do in the game of all time and play the most).

In that case you don't miss anything. There is no conservationist career or island festivals in any of the TS3 expansion packs, as far as I remember. Although there are the seasonal festivals which worked similar in a way.

TS3 Island paradise did have the option of building/owning houseboats which allowed you to float around the archipelago with the entire household, including small pets and whatnot. Very relaxing. It's something I miss in TS4. Although the EP itself wasn't a pleasure to have on a lot of systems. It is brutally laggy.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Announcement 2023 release 2025.
    NXOR007 wrote: »
    That being said, I dont 'have all the packs in Sims 3, so I didn't realise the conservationist career and island festivals were in that one (one of my fav things to do in the game of all time and play the most).

In that case you don't miss anything. There is no conservationist career or island festivals in any of the TS3 expansion packs, as far as I remember. Although there are the seasonal festivals which worked similar in a way.

TS3 Island paradise did have the option of building/owning houseboats which allowed you to float around the archipelago with the entire household, including small pets and whatnot. Very relaxing. It's something I miss in TS4. Although the EP itself wasn't a pleasure to have on a lot of systems. It is brutally laggy.

Oh okay I didn't realise they had daily festivals but anyways, I don't think I'd be that interested in the houseboat... it does sound kind of fun, but it wouldn't be that much of a deal breaker for me. Pets I don't play with in, I don't like Sims 4 pets (don't recall older versions, not sure if I ever added pets to my older households). I do ike the small pets in Sims 4, like he hamsters and stuff, but even them I rarely play with haha. I do wish Sims 4 had the free babies and hotels (I think we will one day) but it's the actual base, the way sims act/interact that limits my personal Sims stories in ways that make the game boring to me which is a much bigger issue.

ANyways, it's fine, I just play the version I do like haha! Since I already have one I like and don't need to switch, hopefully Sims 5 will come out with what other people want.
    ANyways, it's fine, I just play the version I do like haha! Since I already have one I like and don't need to switch, hopefully Sims 5 will come out with what other people want.

And so you should! Never mind my ramble. I’d probably be the last one trying to convert you. ;)
  • deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member
    edited June 2020
    Didn't EA games say there will be at least 3 more years of The Sims 4? I would say the earliest it should be released is 2023. I do ultimately hope TS5 has that right balance between realistic and cartoony graphics and situations that you can put your Sims in.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Announcement 2019, Release 2020.
    deeman190 wrote: »
    Didn't EA games say there will be at least 3 more years of The Sims 4? I would say the earliest it should be released is 2023. I do ultimately hope TS5 has that right balance between realistic and cartoony graphics and situations that you can put your Sims in.
    They keep on saying that the problem is that there is no other game like The Sims a present so the devs can be a bit lazy and just churn out pack after half baked pack as long as people are buying them why stop? I mean I see a change coming a lot of people did not like Eco Lifestyle (when announced) If people stop buying the packs then they may up there game and release the Sims 5 as an Early access game but the sims lives and dies by drip feeding us content. But I feel Maxis may need to up there game Paralives is coming so now the Sims will have a real competition

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Announcement 2021 release 2023.

@deeman190 Didn't they say that like almost 2 years ago? I'm really bad with time but I think it must have been some time.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Announcement 2020 release 2021.

The EP itself isn't laggy - it was the Isla Paradiso world that had routing issues. Also some of the houses and port lot placements were improper. Once you fixed those, the world is lag-free.

If you didn't want to fix the world, other people fixed it for you so all you had to do was download that, but there are other worlds with all of the EP's features that are also lag free.

People WOULD miss a lot from not playing the Island Paradise EP:
    1. Hotel/Resort building and management - NOT in Island Living or any other TS4 pack
    2. Active scuba diving - NOT rabbithole like in Island Living
    3. Active lifeguard career - NOT rabbithole like in Island Living
    4. Houseboats that can travel anywhere in the ocean - not as buggy as you would like to portray it
    5. 8 Hidden islands to discover in 8 different ways
    6. Actual danger with sharks and the Kraken
    7. Windsurfing
    8. Water-skiing
    9. Boating with more than one person (so lame in TS4 because it's only one person per boat!)

Yes, the EP doesn't have the conservation career, but there are mods for Environmental Scientist to add to it and make it into an active career where your sim collects samples from the environment and does actual testing to improve the quality of plants and value of fish, insects, gems etc. and clone them. There's also the Marine Biologist career for TS3 that I'm setting up right now where my sim will scuba dive (actual and not rabbithole) to collect marine life, shells, and kelp in the mornings, and tests those specimens in the afternoon at the research lab and also conduct lectures on the podium and whiteboard on her findings. When she gets older, she will go back to her homeworld university to become a professor which can also be converted to an active on! So these TS3 careers are a lot more involving than those in TS4.

Island festivals that TS4 has are one-and-done deals. People play it once and that's it because they're boring beyond the first time. I doubt that its something most simmers will play often like someone said, lol!

I know you're trying to make TS4 look good by trying to put down TS3 but that just doesn't work when TS3 is so flexible and has more features to it.

The EP itself isn't laggy - it was the Isla Paradiso world that had routing issues. Also some of the houses and port lot placements were improper. Once you fixed those, the world is lag-free.

If you didn't want to fix the world, other people fixed it for you so all you had to do was download that, but there are other worlds with all of the EP's features that are also lag free.

People WOULD miss a lot from not playing the Island Paradise EP:
    1. Hotel/Resort building and management - NOT in Island Living or any other TS4 pack
    2. Active scuba diving - NOT rabbithole like in Island Living
    3. Active lifeguard career - NOT rabbithole like in Island Living
    4. Houseboats that can travel anywhere in the ocean - not as buggy as you would like to portray it
    5. 8 Hidden islands to discover in 8 different ways
    6. Actual danger with sharks and the Kraken
    7. Windsurfing
    8. Water-skiing
    9. Boating with more than one person (so lame in TS4 because it's only one person per boat!)

Yes, the EP doesn't have the conservation career, but there are mods for Environmental Scientist to add to it and make it into an active career where your sim collects samples from the environment and does actual testing to improve the quality of plants and value of fish, insects, gems etc. and clone them. There's also the Marine Biologist career for TS3 that I'm setting up right now where my sim will scuba dive (actual and not rabbithole) to collect marine life, shells, and kelp in the mornings, and tests those specimens in the afternoon at the research lab and also conduct lectures on the podium and whiteboard on her findings. When she gets older, she will go back to her homeworld university to become a professor which can also be converted to an active on! So these TS3 careers are a lot more involving than those in TS4.

Island festivals that TS4 has are one-and-done deals. People play it once and that's it because they're boring beyond the first time. I doubt that its something most simmers will play often like someone said, lol!

I know you're trying to make TS4 look good by trying to put down TS3 but that just doesn't work when TS3 is so flexible and has more features to it.

I play TS4 island festivals almost every Sim day... at least 3-4 per sim week and have since it came out haha! But I also played Strangerville several times and peope said that was one time only too.

But yeah, overall, I just don't find Sims 3 enjoyable. I'm sure it's great for those that do, but for me, I get bored too quick.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    The main problem with sims 2 and 3 for me is that the game play was boring for me, so custom houses, well nice, aren't enough to fix the games for me. The gallery is a lot easier, it's right there in game. I HATE playing with any custom content I have to download seperate except for the small handful of mods I listed above (easy to keep up to date when you only have 2 or 3 but downloading and adding stuff to the game is such a pain as you spend so much time looking for stuff instead of just in game playing haha. )

When you say TS2 and TS3 gameplay is boring for you, you really can't blame those games because they provide so much more than just custom houses which you think is all they offer. They offer an abundance of actual, working gameplay, something TS4 lacks.

Most people who play TS3 download and install everything they want before starting a story, scenario or challenge, but you can actually download and install anything within the game if you forgot something, through the launcher. It's a lot more flexible and better than TS4's gallery because not only can you download and install anything from the Exchange or Sims 3 Store, but you can also install other sims3packs from other places like The Sims Resource, Mod the Sims, Around the Sims3, etc. All this while in the game.

But it's the sims themselves that's most important to me. Sims 4 is not at all limiting for the way I personally play, and Sims 2 and 3 were. Which is why I prefer it and get bored with the other two. A different way of playing definitely would be different. I have all Sims 4 packs except vampires (which I don't want ) and all Sims 2 packs, but only a few packs in SIms 3 (generations and something else, I forget as I don't bother with that game now haha) .

How exactly do you play the sims then? Imagination? You can do that with all the other iterations too except they do what they're suppose to do.

edited June 2020
    The main problem with sims 2 and 3 for me is that the game play was boring for me, so custom houses, well nice, aren't enough to fix the games for me. The gallery is a lot easier, it's right there in game. I HATE playing with any custom content I have to download seperate except for the small handful of mods I listed above (easy to keep up to date when you only have 2 or 3 but downloading and adding stuff to the game is such a pain as you spend so much time looking for stuff instead of just in game playing haha. )

When you say TS2 and TS3 gameplay is boring for you, you really can't blame those games because they provide so much more than just custom houses which you think is all they offer. They offer an abundance of actual, working gameplay, something TS4 lacks.

Most people who play TS3 download and install everything they want before starting a story, scenario or challenge, but you can actually download and install anything within the game if you forgot something, through the launcher. It's a lot more flexible and better than TS4's gallery because not only can you download and install anything from the Exchange or Sims 3 Store, but you can also install other sims3packs from other places like The Sims Resource, Mod the Sims, Around the Sims3, etc. All this while in the game.

But it's the sims themselves that's most important to me. Sims 4 is not at all limiting for the way I personally play, and Sims 2 and 3 were. Which is why I prefer it and get bored with the other two. A different way of playing definitely would be different. I have all Sims 4 packs except vampires (which I don't want ) and all Sims 2 packs, but only a few packs in SIms 3 (generations and something else, I forget as I don't bother with that game now haha) .

How exactly do you play the sims then? Imagination? You can do that with all the other iterations too except they do what they're suppose to do.

I don't blame the games. THey aren't bad games, but they aren't fun for my play style. Different games are more fun for different people and differnet play styles. There's a lot I don't like about earlier versions. The sims personalities is a super important one, but other things too. (Art style is super ugly in all earlier versions to me (again, this is personal) and its an important factor. Ihate the colour wheel etc, and just the main thing being that I find them boring and unenjoyable which is extremely important as I play games solely for fun.)

For others 3 is probably the best game because they like those features and find them more fun. It's not a bad game, but for my personal style of game play it's not good either.

I don't really care what "most people do", I Just play what I personally enjoy, and that's Sims 4, not Sims 3. If you prefer 3 than it's the better game for you to play, but it's not for me.

Yes, imagination. I write a story, and then use sims to make it come to life. And no, I can't do that in other iterations for my particular storylines. They don't work. I've tried.

Post edited by SimAlexandria on
    edited June 2020

Alright, first off, let's not fall into a misunderstanding here. My comment was placed within the context of that particular discussion.
    I'm not trying to put down TS3. In fact, I believe you and I are quite passionate about TS3.

Island Paradise is one of my favorite EPs, because of many of the things you mentioned. I've built an embarrassing amount of houseboats. Diving and building dive lots in different worlds was one of my favorite things to do do. Sitting on a little boat waiting for The Kraken to arrive...priceless. The sound of that beast...
    Personally, I miss that gameplay in TS4. Someone else couldn't care less about those features. They wouldn't miss a thing.

Two different people, two different styles.

The world of that EP is the EP. By default, a lot of systems couldn't run it properly. IP was already flawed in the condition it was shipped and the player was pretty much forced to download new versions of the world or install mods to get it to work properly.

Again, for me personally it was no problem. I'm running a machine that can take a few hits and I have the basic technical know-how about how to fix lagging issues.
    But a player needs to play. Not fix. Same goes for TS4 or any game out there.

edited June 2020
    @doogerie wrote: »
    They keep on saying that the problem is that there is no other game like The Sims a present so the devs can be a bit lazy and just churn out pack after half baked pack as long as people are buying them why stop? I mean I see a change coming a lot of people did not like Eco Lifestyle (when announced) If people stop buying the packs then they may up there game and release the Sims 5 as an Early access game but the sims lives and dies by drip feeding us content. But I feel Maxis may need to up there game Paralives is coming so now the Sims will have a real competition

People will not stop buying the packs as long as the packs keep coming. Most sims players are hopeful that the next pack will add to their game play experience or solve the lack thereof.

As for competition, I'm not sure. Yes, there is mention of Paralives here, and Paradox there and really they have no place in a Sims forum. Two different games. The former a game with a pre-development showcase. The latter a studio who keeps their game still pretty obscure.

At the moment The sims is only 'competing' with itself, in that some players prefer to play different iterations.

But the Sims is the Sims. I don't believe any game will be going to treat the absurd and comical the way Sims does and has done in the past.
    The Sims has lore and characters that go way back to 2000.
    The word 'Death' alone in context with 'The Sims' is iconic. I doubt we'll be seeing any simulation game with this extensive amount of ridiculous kinds of deaths without it being the main focus of the game.

If all that is taken out, it won't be The Sims anymore. It will be the 'serious life simulation' game. If that's what players want, they may get it in a different shape or form done by a different studio.

If and When there is a Sims 5, it will also be a Sims game. Hopefully with a combination of all the mechanics the community loves from former iterations and hopefully something new. Who knows.

But until then, there is Sims 4 and everything before that. Nothing else.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    I think island living can't be compared to Island paradise.Its true island paradise had more to offer Than island living.But they focus on two different things.One it's about a tropical getaway.The other was about a Parisian island
    edited June 2020
    I think island living can't be compared to Island paradise.Its true island paradise had more to offer Than island living.But they focus on two different things.One it's about a tropical getaway.The other was about a Parisian island

They can easily be compared:
    • Both are tropical, Polynesian inspired archipelagos.
    • Both have Mermadic life states.
    • Both introduce boats.
    • Both introduce scuba diving and lifeguards.
    • Both introduce death by shark.

The execution of several game play elements is different. But the concept remains the same.
    I agree the games can be compared. They have a lot of similarities.

I agree that Sims 3 is not a bad game.

It's simply just not an enjoyable game for me. I've tried it, I didn't like it.

I've tried all the Sims games. Sims 4 is the most enjoyable for me. It gives me the most freedom for my particular play style.

In the same way, within the game of Sims 4, I find Island Living the best pack, because I get more game play out of it than other packs. Others who aren't telling the same stories as me might get more out of vampires and think it's a better pack where as for me, I hate the idea of vampires in my game and won't buy it. I love my first pet stuff and laundry day which a lot of people hate, but I dislike Discover University and City Living, Spa Day and Bowling Stuff which I know a lot of others do like.

People just play differently, they have different tastes, and what's enjoyable for some isn't for others.

edited June 2020
    Listen which game is better than which is something we can discuss for days and even though there is a clear answer as to which place The Sims 4 holds in that list, I'm not as disappointed in the game as I am in EAs business model:
    I watched The Sims 3 Ambitions review by LGR and I have to be honest I fully forgot how much content there was in those expansion packs. I dare you go watch it. It's amazing what the Sims team could deliver in a 40$ expansion pack and it's a pity they don't do that anymore. Which is the only thing that saddens me about the Sims 4.

Has the Sims 3 aged? Sure. Is it not enjoyable to a lot of people anymore including me? Sure. Did it however offer massive and in-depth expansion packs? It fully did!
    Listen which game is better than which is something we can discuss for days and even though there is a clear answer as to which place The Sims 4 holds in that list, I'm not as disappointed in the game as I am in EAs business model:
    I watched The Sims 3 Ambitions review by LGR and I have to be honest I fully forgot how much content there was in those expansion packs. I dare you go watch it. It's amazing what the Sims team could deliver in a 40$ expansion pack and it's a pity they don't do that anymore. Which is the only thing that saddens me about the Sims 4.

Has the Sims 3 aged? Sure. Is it not enjoyable to a lot of people anymore including me? Sure. Did it however offer massive and in-depth expansion packs? It fully did!

I disagree there's a clear answer as to which is best because I think it's different for everyone. I dislike LGR, his videos bore me and I don't trust his opinions anyway, so I won't take you up on that dare, but I have seen lists of comparisons of what is in each game.

Did 3 offer more in packs? sure, I'll give it that. Like I said, it was a good game.

I just disagree that more stuff is better. I also don't think less is better.

I think there is no such thing as better/worse when it comes to a game unless you are counting things like bugs/glitches/lag etc. Everything else is subjective.

More stuff does not equal better
    More game play does not equal better
    More in depth does not equal better

The only thing that equals better in a game is "more enjoyable" since games are meant to be fun. And since enjoyment is subjective, which game is better is subjective, whether that be 1,2, 3, 4, Medieval, Free Play, Sim City, the eventually upcoming Sims 5 or something else completely different.

For me, Personally, it's 4.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    I don't see how you don't trust lgr views.He just says what's in the pack, and that's it.I think bad that if a pack has less.
    I don't see how you don't trust lgr views.He just says what's in the pack, and that's it.I think bad that if a pack has less.

That's fine :) Totally okay to have a different opinion, both on what makes a good pack for you and on LGR.
  • Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    EliteGirl wrote: »
    I agree with SimAlexandria, as late as possible. Because that way the Maxis/EA company can have time to make "The Sims 4" expansion packs that ARE high quality, with lots of content and more stuff to look forward to.

Agreed. The Sims 4 needs Vehicles, Garages, Police NPC, Grocery Services, Newspapers, Improved Babies, Strollers, Create a World, Spiral Staircases and Spotify Radio while Playing The Sims 4. No Sims 5 until my requests are fulfilled.
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    I did love the variety in sims 3 ..unfortunately I am not able to use mods to fix my game...which is why we are not all on the same playing field with any of the sims versions ....I will admit sims 3 played well until Island paradise.....when sims 5 comes out it will be interesting to see what it brings to the table.....this is a very interesting discussion.
    edited June 2020
    I'm not talking about which packs were better or not. I'm just stating the fact that the Sims 3 offered content we would get on 2-3 packs in the Sims 4 and it was also always pretty in-depth. I'm not saying the packs are better or worse. I'm just disappointed that The Sims 4 packs have less stuff and are less in-depth most of the times.
    This is not a subjective opinion. This is a fact.
    I dare you to watch any review of the Sims 3 Ambitions just to see how much stuff came with that.
  • IVXXXVIIVXXXVI Posts: 140 Member
    @SimmerGeorge That is actually true. One example is Late Night, which offered many new features in one pack, but the same features are offered in 4 seperated packs in Sims 4,(Vampires,Celebrities,Apartments,Clubs) ----> (Vampires,Get Famous,City Living,Get Together). Like you said it's not which is best or worst. It's about which pack is fully complete and for me Sims 3 packs are more complete and they give a variety of options for the player to explore just in one pack.

I'm not trying to show any disrespect to the Sims 4 (or any other Sims games). I enjoy all sims games and each game has something new and different in the gameplay. It's about the player,but for me 3 definitely got my attention.
    Hp85Jmm.gif
    edited June 2020
    I'm not talking about which packs were better or not. I'm just stating the fact that the Sims 3 offered content we would get on 2-3 packs in the Sims 4 and it was also always pretty in-depth. I'm not saying the packs are better or worse. I'm just disappointed that The Sims 4 packs have less stuff and are less in-depth most of the times.
    This is not a subjective opinion. This is a fact.
    I dare you to watch any review of the Sims 3 Ambitions just to see how much stuff came with that.
    @IVXXXVI wrote: »
    @SimmerGeorge That is actually true. One example is Late Night, which offered many new features in one pack, but the same features are offered in 4 seperated packs in Sims 4,(Vampires,Celebrities,Apartments,Clubs) ----> (Vampires,Get Famous,City Living,Get Together). Like you said it's not which is best or worst. It's about which pack is fully complete and for me Sims 3 packs are more complete and they give a variety of options for the player to explore just in one pack.

I'm not trying to show any disrespect to the Sims 4 (or any other Sims games). I enjoy all sims games and each game has something new and different in the gameplay. It's about the player,but for me 3 definitely got my attention.

It depends on what you define as 'stuff'. Is "stuff" an idea? B/B objects? Gameplay objects? Gameplay Mechanics? CAS? Worlds?

The game mechanics in TS4 are different to the game mechanics in TS3.
    If the same occult system that has been introduced in 'TS4 Vampires' was in 'TS3 Late Night' or 'Supernatural' a lot of the 'stuff' in those TS3 packs wouldn't have been there. Resources are spent on completely different things in both iterations.

Whether something works or not for each individual player is a different matter. Where TS4 seems lacking, TS3 or TS2 shines and vise versa.
    The experience of 'completeness' of a pack is very subjective. What feels 'complete' for one person, may not feel 'complete' to another.

Remember most Reviews are also subjective. Did you ever watch a YT review with the sound turned off? What would you get?
    Reviewers are influencers, no matter how objective they're trying to be. They lay out the content and give their opinion. Their opinion. A lot of reviewers are influenced by their own opinions about something and if they have decided they don't or do like a certain thing by default, their reviews become less and less objective.

You're letting yourself be influenced by opinions presented in reviews in order to decide whether you should spend well earned money on content or not. Maybe by NOT buying content because the reviewer said the content is no good, you're missing out on something you would have actually enjoyed. It's very hard to tell. You're not experiencing the same thing the reviewer experiences. But if you think that you can get enough out of a review in order to make up your own mind, that's great, good for you!