The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ts4 destroyed my ability to enjoy ts2

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2020
    Faust-RSI wrote: »
    Yeah, no stupid game-breaking NAPs, meaningful life-states, memories, sims that have real emotions like jealousy or sadness.. What an awful game, that TS2 :)

Right. What a mess to have a complex well thought game and being able to see the game tells your stories instead of making them into your head.

Oh my god true, who even bought the Sims 2, what a terrible game. Get those well-developed Sim personalities and smooth animations out of my face!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    There's always hope! EA have brought back a remastered Command and Conquer and promises others so maybe a remastered 1,2,3,4 collection for the new PS5 and Xbox X? Xbox X will be able to play old game versions according to the blurb.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Sim's 2 personalities and interactions between sims were way better than in sims 4. But i also don't want to play sims 2 now that i play 4... I've played a few months ago just to try it and i couldn't have the same fun as i did before. There are some systems that i like way better in 4. It won't take the place of 2, 2 is 2, it's a great game and it will always be. But i get what op feels.
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I still enjoy playing TS2 as I expect what I expect from it. I realize it came out years ago and that there aren't as many options to choose from in some respects. But I still enjoy playing it - I love TS2 and it is still my favourite in the series. Side note: I feel like I get a bit more out of kids in TS2 as well.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Fascinating comments. I haven't had the honour of playing TS2 yet.

I'm planning to dive into its game play and explore all the personalities and see for myself. From what I can take from several discussions there seem to be plenty of aspects about this title that I find compelling.
  • KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    edited June 2020
    I love and play each iteration in chunks personally. I grew up playing TS1 and TS2 (TS3 came out when I went into high school) and so those hit more of a nostalgia point for me. I get goosebumps watching the cut scenes, I miss the storytelling blogs on the TS2 website, the humor and raunchiness of TS1. TS3 had incredible Open Worlds and the CAS Tool. TS4 has immaculate graphics and the ability to mold bodies is incredible compared to limiting sliders. They each bring something different to the table, and each of them are lacking in some aspects. Ideally we could nitpick parts that we love from TS4 and want to merge it with parts of TS2 but, that's life. I think they are all pretty equal across the board. *shrugs*

I'm planning to dive into its game play and explore all the personalities and see for myself. From what I can take from several discussions there seem to be plenty of aspects about this title that I find compelling.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 One thing I did as a kid and I would totally recommend you do when you first play the Sims 2 is choose one of the base game neighbourhoods and go through the storytelling section (there is one for each neighborhood and one for each family).

Many times it's just pictures from their past but they actually tell a detailed story.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 One thing I did as a kid and I would totally recommend you do when you first play the Sims 2 is choose one of the base game neighbourhoods and go through the storytelling section (there is one for each neighborhood and one for each family).

Many times it's just pictures from their past but they actually tell a detailed story.

Great to know, cheers! Does it matter which BG neighbourhood I choose first? And will I need to start a new save file when checking out another neighbourhood (like in TS3)?

By the way, apologies if I'm going off topic here...I'm aware this discussion is about how TS4 destroyed the ability to enjoy TS2...yet here I am moving back in time...
    edited June 2020

Great to know, cheers! Does it matter which BG neighbourhood I choose first? And will I need to start a new save file when checking out another neighbourhood (like in TS3)?

No the game doesn't have saves. It is a save all on its own so everything that happens in the game stays like that if you save and can be reset only if you do it manually by resetting the neighborhoods in your PC files (yeah 2004 game, sorry.)

Which one you start with doesn't matter but Pleasantview and Strangetown are those "iconic" ones where all those famous premade Sims in later games are from, so it might be fun to start with those.

But back to the topic as you can see just by describing how the game works, you probably notice that some mechanics are a bit frustrating and outdated like the fact that the game is just one big save. Smooth transition back to the topic there, you see? :wink:

No the game doesn't have saves. It is a save all on its own so everything that happens in the game stays like that if you save and can be reset only if you do it manually by resetting the neighborhoods in your PC files (yeah 2004 game, sorry.)

Which one you start with doesn't matter but Pleasantview and Strangetown are those "iconic" ones where all those famous premade Sims in later games are from, so it might be fun to start with those.

But back to the topic as you can see just by describing how the game works to you, you probably notice that some mechanics are a bit frustrating and outdated like the fact that the game is just one big save. Smooth transition back to the topic there, you see? :wink:

Fascinating! And thanks for the smooth transition there. Looking forward to getting frustrated! ;)
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,181 Member
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    I played TS1 yesterday and today I've been playing 2. Tonight I'll probably pop in and play on a houseboat in 3. I go back and forth between all 4 iterations, because each one has nostalgia and different game play that I love.

Same. I can appreciate them all for what they have to offer.

I am the same, I have 2, 3, and 4 on my computer. I play them all. I love them all.

me to

Me 3
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I felt similar, but I got used to Sims 2 again after a while.

Sims 2 feels like the more depthful game when it comes to sims themselves and their interactions, but there are just a few nagging things that Sims 4 has spoiled me with that made it hard to get into Sims 2 again. Namely;

- The lack of specific conversation subjects, it's all summed up by 'chat'. Even though it's just set-dressing, I enjoy picking topics that my character would talk about;
    - Loading screens;
    - No easy CAS cheat, you have to go through the trouble of cheating yourself the plastic surgery table;
    - Being unable to traverse all the neighbourhoods without moving; and
    - The absence of multitasking.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    @SimAlexandria I'm intrigued to know what you mean by being able to be more creative with sims 4 personalities, could you explain please? (This is not a snarky comment at all, I really am interested)

Sims 4 certainly has its faults but I really do enjoy playing it and it has a lot of features that surpass the older games now.

I wish I could still enjoy TS2 though, it was a huge addiction for me at the time and I had an amazing amount of fun with it. I have tried going back to all of the older versions at various times, but i can't do it.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    @SimAlexandria I'm intrigued to know what you mean by being able to be more creative with sims 4 personalities, could you explain please? (This is not a snarky comment at all, I really am interested)

Sims 4 certainly has its faults but I really do enjoy playing it and it has a lot of features that surpass the older games now.

I wish I could still enjoy TS2 though, it was a huge addiction for me at the time and I had an amazing amount of fun with it. I have tried going back to all of the older versions at various times, but i can't do it.

Basically as a short answer,

Sims 2, for example, have their own stronger personalities, with a turn on/turn off system, etc etc. The fight against my story lines. I'm a writer, and when I tell stories with my sims I write the story first. But Sims 2 sims sometimes I want them to do something and they won't. They fight against my story lines. For an easy example, say I want Sim 1 to fall in love with Sim 2, but they won't because they aren't compatible or something like that. They just fight against me so I can't create the stories I want to.

Sims 4 Sims allow me to create any story line I want to and they'll just do what I say so I create whatever story I want. (and I don't want autonomy off, don't want any standing around sims, (that breaks immersion for me) ) Sims 4 Sims seem perfect for my stories.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    The emotion system is the worst thing in ts4. Watch this to see how EA outright lied in their early marketing of the sims 4.

“Players choice shapes not just a single moment but the entire life journey of the sims”

Lol !!!

https://youtu.be/cT5JbnCtEvA

Use this it improves the emotion system in the game https://roburky.itch.io/sims4-meaningful-stories
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,863 Member

Sims 2, for example, have their own stronger personalities, with a turn on/turn off system, etc etc. The fight against my story lines. I'm a writer, and when I tell stories with my sims I write the story first. But Sims 2 sims sometimes I want them to do something and they won't. They fight against my story lines. For an easy example, say I want Sim 1 to fall in love with Sim 2, but they won't because they aren't compatible or something like that. They just fight against me so I can't create the stories I want to.

Sims 4 Sims allow me to create any story line I want to and they'll just do what I say so I create whatever story I want. (and I don't want autonomy off, don't want any standing around sims, (that breaks immersion for me) ) Sims 4 Sims seem perfect for my stories.

You are 100% correct, I never even thought it at that way, as I like the sims to tell the story, not them to do the story I have in my mind.

I know you did not reply to me but that clarifies things still :)

But yes, TS2 is not to players who write the story first, then play it , as in many time they fight back or have already decided otherwise at the background in communitylots while you are playing another family :)

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I haven't touched TS2 in a while, but yeah... Those things you mentioned are annoying. These games are really starting to show their age.
    p6tqefj
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have 2, 3, and 4 on my laptop. I have 1 on an ancient Windows desktop running XP. But I really only play 4.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

You are 100% correct, I never even thought it at that way, as I like the sims to tell the story, not them to do the story I have in my mind.

I know you did not reply to me but that clarifies things still :)

But yes, TS2 is not to players who write the story first, then play it , as in many time they fight back or have already decided otherwise at the background in communitylots while you are playing another family :)

That makes sense too :) Both are good games, but Sims 4 just works better for the way I play, at least with my particular story lines haha.

That being said, it's not perfect, there's a few things I'd love added to 4 still, and Sims 2 has nicer animations, it's just not enough to play my play style haha!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I haven't touched TS2 since the day TS3 released and even though I didn't like TS3 I for some reason never went back to TS2. I'm weird and I like to always be playing the current version. I have the ultimate collection available to download on Origin if I ever want to relive the nostalgia. I never have though so far. I kind of always assumed it probably wouldn't even work on my windows 10 PC. :D
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Could we all not get into the habit of respecting other people's preferences? There is no reason to mock something others happen to like. You are indirectly mocking them, in fact. Live and let live? Be mature? Stuff like that :|

While I personally appreciate the stories in Sims 2, the way the game operates is just too dated for me to enjoy. I play a lot of games and maybe for that reason, I have developed some standards when it comes to how long I'm willing to wait for certain things and the quality of the graphics, etc. Still, I honor the older iterations as they are the foundation of the franchise. I remember them fondly, but couldn't get into them again.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I remember Sims 4 used to require a certain emotion and with the default being happy, it was impossible to achieve both for school and careers. I actually like the Sims 2 feeling more realistic. A lot of jobs I have had require networking, so jobs requiring friendships is actually a pretty realistic concept. I still play all the Sims games. Well Sims 1 I have a hard time working for Windows 10. One day, Steam release I hope. I just find it annoying how even with the Steam release, it still requires Origin to launch which is super annoying. Wish EA would allow their games to actually launch from Steam. Origin is just an annoying and laggy engine.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Could we all not get into the habit of respecting other people's preferences? There is no reason to mock something others happen to like. You are indirectly mocking them, in fact. Live and let live? Be mature? Stuff like that :|

While I personally appreciate the stories in Sims 2, the way the game operates is just too dated for me to enjoy. I play a lot of games and maybe for that reason, I have developed some standards when it comes to how long I'm willing to wait for certain things and the quality of the graphics, etc. Still, I honor the older iterations as they are the foundation of the franchise. I remember them fondly, but couldn't get into them again.

Well said. This is exactly how I feel pretty much.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm in a similar position.

I got TS3 when it came out and played it until TS4 came out. There are lots of features I miss from TS3 but somehow every time I try to go back to TS3 I can't enjoy it.

I also got TS2 recently and it's the same story, can't enjoy that either.

I think it's the graphics and how the sims look. I'm shallow I guess!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member

The first thing I do when playing any of the iterations is to delete the premade characters but keep their houses for my sims, Sims 2 was no exception but what I loved then was the amount of CC for it and the programs made to clean up any crashes. It was all so easy to play but now I've got Sims 4 I've only gone back a couple of times to play it, in spite having got the complete game both on CDs and Origin download. I loved the Tudor World the most in Sims 2.

The amount of "pruning" of the cc I had to do because of the clashing of .iff files though! I have a whole CD of the programs and .iff files that passed inspection, a lovely one square lift from Moni's Sims for example. One day I might try again.

I haven't added any cc or mods for Sims 4, but that isn't the fault of 2, it's the overload of 3 stuff crashing an already unsteady game build that did it! :)