Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

Comments

• Options
    CirocbandCirocband Posts: 27 Member
    I hope everyone is staying safe out there. This COVID-19 is no joke.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Hope you all are hanging tough out there! I'm fine myself as well as my family. I've been staying put because I cough as it is due to my allergies and don't need it.
    Stay safe everyone.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited June 2020
    Just wanted to pop in and admonish people to please continue be cautious. Especially with everything going on currently, make sure you are wearing a mask when you are in a crowd and washing your hands frequently.

I am on Day 73 dealing with this illness. I am currently finishing my second round of medications and just now really making strides towards being well again. I still have a long road ahead of me as I build my lung capacity and muscle strength back up. There is a possibility I may never be back to normal.

The only underlying conditions I had were arthritis and hypoglycemia. I'm not diabetic, I don't have high blood pressure (the last nurse I saw actually commented on how low it is), I'm only 41. I wasn't considered "at risk".
    Yeah, I didn't end up in the hospital and I didn't die. But I've still lost nearly 3 months of my life and have no idea when I will really get it back again.

Don't risk it. Be careful please.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    @Cirocband I read that as 'covid 19 is a joke' and I got mad before I reread it.

Oop le oop.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    We are (touch wood) back to normal now. Only thing is our borders are still closed. But life is back to normal <3
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    My favorite news article implied COVID-19 is over due to the traditional way things end—Americans are bored with it. 😣 Always the quickest to react, the quickest to implement, and the quickest to forget.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    I'm in Maryland and we're definitely not over it. 33 deaths yesterday and over 700 new cases. Masks are still required at all public facilities. I'm being extra careful because people are starting to act foolishly.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm in the UK and we are certainly not rid of it. I've not ventured outside for three months now. I've an underlying respiratory condition so am not taking any risks. I've spent weeks in an artificial coma attached to a ventilator several years ago and do not want to repeat it.

The recent protests will do nothing but kick off a second wave and we all do not want that.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    My thoughts are with all the countries that still have covid cases :( Its scary times, I hope its resolved for you all soon too <3
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited June 2020
    Things become better in Europe (excluding UK and Russia), we hope there will be no 2nd wave. The fight is not over yet.

• Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Cdc has extended the "No Sail" restrictions for cruise ships in US ports. The new date (possible) for sailing on a cruise ship will be in September now.

You can't imagine how much this infuriates the cruising industry! They have lost so much money already. They are STILL paying employees (crew members of the ships and such), and they're paying for the upkeep of the vessels (to make sure they're sound for the next voyage).

The ball is now in the CDC court. Why are theme parks and beaches open, but not the same as the cruise ships? CDC is kinda dragging their feet on the issue if you ask me.

Cruise line industry can't really "call the CDC out", because the CDC does have the authority to ban cruise ships from ALL US ports if they wanted! Unfortunately, for the cruise lines (and us) we're just gonna have to wait until the September deadline.

If they don't do anything by then, the CDC would DEFINITELY get a bad reputation for their lack of actions!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    The ball is now in the CDC court. Why are theme parks and beaches open, but not the same as the cruise ships?

Because cruise ships are sailing petri dishes the passengers can't escape from. Even in a normal year they deal with minor outbreaks.
    Theme parks and beaches are in the open, so people can keep their distance to some degree and can come and go freely.
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Cdc has extended the "No Sail" restrictions for cruise ships in US ports. The new date (possible) for sailing on a cruise ship will be in September now.

You can't imagine how much this infuriates the cruising industry! They have lost so much money already. They are STILL paying employees (crew members of the ships and such), and they're paying for the upkeep of the vessels (to make sure they're sound for the next voyage).

The ball is now in the CDC court. Why are theme parks and beaches open, but not the same as the cruise ships? CDC is kinda dragging their feet on the issue if you ask me.

Cruise line industry can't really "call the CDC out", because the CDC does have the authority to ban cruise ships from ALL US ports if they wanted! Unfortunately, for the cruise lines (and us) we're just gonna have to wait until the September deadline.

If they don't do anything by then, the CDC would DEFINITELY get a bad reputation for their lack of actions!

As someone who lives in a region that has a large summer tourism industry (not the US), cruises are complicated situation. They bring much-needed and wanted tourists, but cruise ships can also cause disease to spread easily. If some of the passengers had COVID-19 and docked off here...they could cause my region to shut down again (we are slowly opening up now). It could kill more people and cause our health care system to become overwhelmed.

The CDC is trying to save lives and avoid overwhelming American hospitals.

No cruise vacation is worth more than your life.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The ball is now in the CDC court. Why are theme parks and beaches open, but not the same as the cruise ships?

I'm not sure but how the cruise ship could travel if no country will accept the American tourists and the crew ?
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member

I'm not sure but how the cruise ship could travel if no country will accept the American tourists and the crew ?
    Yes, exactly this.. the state I live in still requires out of state tourists to complete a two week quarantine when entering the state. Also Florida which is a major cruise destination just recorded over 8,000 new cases today, it simply isn’t a safe situation for cruises right now. I feel for everyone impacted by it, this whole thing has been incredibly sad :'(
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Short of massive restrictions on the amount of people on cruises along with where they can go and reorganizing the entire flow within the ship (ventilation of inner cabins, disinfecting all areas frequently), I don't see how cruises would be a good idea right now. People can be carriers with no symptoms and unless they quarantine everyone for 2 weeks *before* the cruise starts, how would they guarantee no outbreak? As was said: cruise ships are a petri dish even without a pandemic.

And with those restrictions, the companies running the ships would likely end up losing money anyway because of higher costs and fewer passengers. it's a no-win situation.

So the CDC is taking action: it's preventing unnecessary outbreaks - one of the initial places with a big one was a cruise ship.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I read today the American students do Coronavirus parties in order to be infected.

That's scary.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    I read today the American students do Coronavirus parties in order to be infected.

That's scary.

I don't think this is a wide spread thing, but I have seen reports that it's happened. The problem is perspective. Something like 80% of people are having mild or no symptoms, so it sounds like it's no big deal. But 20% of millions of people is actually a LOT of people. And as time goes on, they are discovering that a large portion of those who make it through seemingly ok, are actually having lingering symptoms.
    I read about an actor, who was 41 like me, who died yesterday after 2 months with symptoms.

It's over three months now since I initially got sick and I still have an intermittent cough and lowered lung capacity. I'm severely limited in what I can do in a day before I'm worn out.
    My husband encountered someone at the store who decided to berate him for wearing a mask, calling him a sheep. And then went into how believers were protected by the Lord anyway. He said it took every ounce he had not to punch the man.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »

That's scary.

My husband encountered someone at the store who decided to berate him for wearing a mask, calling him a sheep. And then went into how believers were protected by the Lord anyway.

Only in America...

• Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    Stay safe everyone! My best friend is a nurse ... One of her colleagues is all alone now.. her father and brother died with covid .. (the mother had passed away a few years ago).. This is no joke :(
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    KawaiiFairyRainbowsKawaiiFairyRainbows Posts: 92 Member
    How is it so hard to wear a mask? Do you really only care about yourself so much not to wear one? I've seen people throw all these temper tantrums for wearing it. WHAT is WRONG with people??
  • Options
    In France just people think it's over and stopped wearing a mask but the second wave has begun.

With the Summer Break many people move to the South, it will help the virus to spread again.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I read about an actor, who was 41 like me, who died yesterday after 2 months with symptoms.

I watched a french woman (young adult) popular on YouTube, she had the COVID-19 and 4 months later she only begin to recover.
    She explains the virus attacked all the organs and once it's gone her body is still damaged and unstable (heartbeat and breath).

She also talked about Paul Garner article
    Paul Garner: For 7 weeks I have been through a roller coaster of ill health, extreme emotions, and utter exhaustion
    https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/05/05/paul-garner-people-who-have-a-more-protracted-illness-need-help-to-understand-and-cope-with-the-constantly-shifting-bizarre-symptoms/

Here the video, you can enable the subtitle (auto-translate mode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmKpvSy7FmU

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member
    Did anyone else see this post and fear that this was referring to an actual Sims 4 update adding the corona virus to the game? Or was that just me?
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD