Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ts4 destroyed my ability to enjoy ts2

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    @SimAlexandria I just think you could totally be creative with the Sims 2 sims since the game offers both creative space for you and also autonomous reactions from Sims.

In the Sims 4 there is only the one side of things, people who want their Sims to have active personalities don't get to play that which is a pity. I wish they would offer both versions.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    @SimAlexandria I just think you could totally be creative with the Sims 2 sims since the game offers both creative space for you and also autonomous reactions from Sims.

In the Sims 4 there is only the one side of things, people who want their Sims to have active personalities don't get to play that which is a pity. I wish they would offer both versions.

I'm sure you could be creative, but not in a way that worked for my play style and stories, it was very limiting for me in what I was trying to create, so for me personally Sims 4 is better because it lets me do what I want to in my stories, that's all.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Sims 4 advanced the "shell" in which TheSims works a good bit. But the content of it is (still) pretty bland. Anyway, i can understand the frustration of going back because of the mentioned things. ^^
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Nostalgia really isn't a thing with TS2. I bought my copy used from a yard sale in January. Personally, in terms of the Sims and the depth of gameplay, it beats TS3 all the while running better than even TS4 on mid-end machines.

Agreed on the UI. TS2 and TS3 are headaches if not nightmares. All my Sims end up either hideous (male) or nearly all alike (female) in TS3. TS2 is just so barebones with its CAS and they end up identical as well. TS4 Sims are pretty easy to make (relatively speaking) and all end up different.

I have no problems with the "keeping up friendships" part of getting promoted. That's a touch of realism, as well as adding depth and challenge. It's way too easy to get promoted in TS4, and not much harder than that in TS3.

I feel TS2 got cars with a closed world/neighborhood right. Hopefully, if cars truly are coming as recently rumored, a similar system is adopted.

The time anomalies related to travel are a huge frustration to me. In fact, probably my biggest annoyance with the game.

TS2 Sims are absolutely hideous. While I often give it a pass due to the hardware available ca. 2005, it's just the graphics style used.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2020
    I don't get how one can like Sims 4 personalities when the Sims in the Sims 4 don't have personalities. It's that fanbase thing I'm talking about, what you see as developed personality I see as soulless puppet

Maybe it just depends how you play? I don't like things happening in my game that affect relationships that I've spent time building in a negative way. I remember some personalities in TS2 being an annoyance because they wouldn't always allow me to have things my way. In TS4 that isn't an as much of an issue although it does still happen in TS4 with some sim traits. Mean sims and evil sims drive me insane cause they won't behave in their relationships and keep ruining what I spent time building for them. I enjoy the Sims 4 sims because I have more freedom to have things the way I want them but I do think their personalities could still use some improvements to differentiate them more.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2020
    DeKay wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel you OP, the community lots on TS2 were boring. XD But I could also compare TS2 with TS1 and say that TS1 was even worse and TS2 has ruined TS1 for me.

Game technology progresses.

But game wise, TS1 has a special place in my heart.

Even though TS1 was tough as far as keeping needs fulfilled and is now very dated I still like it, but was glad when Sims 2 came along.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited June 2020
    Right now if one wishes to see the features of older versions incorporated in Sims 4 may not see them happen in this version even though I believe with current tech available may benefit them will have to wait and see what Sims 5 will offer if it does happen.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I'll admit Sims 4 is the first game in which I really enjoy building. I love the building system, it's really user-friendly and, with some knowledge of how it works, you can still push it to get some impressive results (I'm not there yet, but enjoy other people's builds for that reason). I really couldn't handle building before, and I think the assets, both in BB and CAS, look great in this iteration.

As for gameplay, however, I think Sims 4 has simplified it too much. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of having to keep 10 friends happy, but now, promotions are almost free and are just a matter of time, for the most part. I miss Sims 3 for that, actually, as there were multiple ways to climb the ranks more or less quickly, so you could get promotions by having talent in a skill, working extra by completing tasks outside work hours, or having the right friends. That was fun.
  • Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    Faberries wrote: »

I completely forgot about kids being able to dance on their parents feet! That was so cute.

And i completely agree with you on the animations :D Sims 2 has some amazing animation

The thing is - in TS4 even ADULTS are still not able to dance together *facepalm* I am not talking about group dancing, of course.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    edited June 2020
    Group dancing looks ridiculous I never use it.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    In build mode and CAS, I agree. It's sometimes so annoying to build a house. Especially stairs. You can get a staircase as one object, but only one sim can use it at the same time. You can also build stairs (like those you put on foundations) so multiple sims can use it at once, but for some reason you can't put it next to a wall. One way to put it down is to tear down the wall preventing you putting it and rebuild it after you have put the stairs down. Plus I have way easier putting down objects in The Sims 4. I can't find many objects to put down on my lots in The Sims 2.
    And the CAS in The Sims 4 is way better. Outfits only come in sets in The Sims 2. The only exception is everyday outfit, where you can individually set the top and bottom (pants and shoes) or put on a set. Every The Sims 2 game comes with a program called Body Shop, where you can take a clothing set and make your own version (like take a dress and add on stripes with MS Paint), but that gets tedious eventually. At least it is not like in The Sims 1 where you make a sim by choosing their head (face and hair) and body (clothing and body shape).
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    You know, I never stopped to analyze it that way, but you're right. My problem is just in remembering what controls what. Navigating can be complicated when switching games. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I always found it weird how TS4s biggest selling point (apart from multitasking) was emotions. I always felt we had that. My sims would be happy, angry, sad even scared (like when a werewolf turned in front of them and the like) etc.

I wonder what TS4 sims personalities would have been like without the overemphasis on emotions. Maybe they would feel less shallow and more unique like previous games. Though I do love my TS4 sims, they are very similar, basically the same with a different shell.

I think that had they focused more on traits and skills the sims had and then have their emotions play a role it would have been a bit better. Now all sims that are inspired want to do the same things, all sad sims want to do the same things, all angry sims want to do the same thing. They all react the same to things as well; always a tense moodlet for this, a happy moodlet for this etc.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I played since Sims1 and I like Sims 4 a lot! Sims 1 I didn't play for very long because I had very young kids and didn't fancy being the type of Mum who sat them in a chair and rocked it with my foot while the computer got all of my attention. When Sims 2 came out they were at school and on my days off I used to fire that up and lose the day on it. So I played it, the kids played it and sometimes we used to all sit together and play on it making people we knew that irritated us. Sims 3 they were teens and out doing their own thing so I played that quite a bit, but I was odd with Sims 3. I wasn't a fan of open world, I was a bit wierd about story progression which strangely enough is one thing I miss now (yep no keeping me happy) and I liked building on it. CAS got annoying because there was too much choice, I could spend days creating the perfect house, the perfect sim, their perfect dog and by the end of that gameplay was somehow anticlimatic. I did love Sims 3 thought in it's own special way, I just liked gimmicky Sims 2 better. Sims 4, I know it's not a popular opinion but I do like it. I love build mode so much and I'm still no good at building but I do a lot of it. The CAS is spot on, i've never felt I've needed CC for cas in the game. Multitasking has ruined me for the other games now though I do still play them. It's really pretty as games go and yes the family gameplay is still lacking but I do hold out hope for it. I don't mind things like teens being the same height as adults because both of my sons were way bigger than I was (and I'm 5'9" so not exactly tiny) when they were 13 so it made sense to me that yeah, teens can be as tall as or taller than adults. I didn't mind the interuption in the time line, because I approached each Sims game as a new game in it's own right so didn't hold as many expectations as a lot of people have. Yes it's not perfect, yes it got off to a rocky start but as far as I'm concerned they can work on the Sims 4 for the next 50 years and not bother with a Sims 5 and I will be more than happy. This game I've played more than any of the others and even experimented with mods. Slice of life and MCCC creators I love you so much, thank you for putting twists in that's kept the game fresh for me. Slice of life made it crazy but it's been fun!
    The emotion system is the worst thing in ts4. Watch this to see how EA outright lied in their early marketing of the sims 4.

“Players choice shapes not just a single moment but the entire life journey of the sims”

Lol !!!

https://youtu.be/cT5JbnCtEvA
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited June 2020
    @jimbbq I haven't watched past the 1:42 mark, but I feel like...hasn't player choice ALWAYS shaped the entire life journey of the Sims?

I'm questioning this in response to the quote "For the first time, player choice shapes not just a single moment but the entire life journey of the Sims."
    I think the impression one gets from this marketing is that what you do moment to moment will have a long term impact,ie with real consequences. In the video LGR talked about eg if you keep hitting on a sim and gets turned down eventually all other sims will shun you. But we all know in reality you can keep hitting on a sim with no long term consequences.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I played TS1 yesterday and today I've been playing 2. Tonight I'll probably pop in and play on a houseboat in 3. I go back and forth between all 4 iterations, because each one has nostalgia and different game play that I love.

Same. I can appreciate them all for what they have to offer.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    I played TS1 yesterday and today I've been playing 2. Tonight I'll probably pop in and play on a houseboat in 3. I go back and forth between all 4 iterations, because each one has nostalgia and different game play that I love.

I am the same, I have 2, 3, and 4 on my computer. I play them all. I love them all.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Sara1010P wrote: »

I am the same, I have 2, 3, and 4 on my computer. I play them all. I love them all.

me to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I think the impression one gets from this marketing is that what you do moment to moment will have a long term impact,ie with real consequences. In the video LGR talked about eg if you keep hitting on a sim and gets turned down eventually all other sims will shun you. But we all know in reality you can keep hitting on a sim with no long term consequences.

Yeah I watched the video and they are also fully missadvertising a lot of the features also that "Smartsim" thing makes no sense. That's just a pure lie.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    I just created a family of 3 and made them hate each other. So their relationship is all red. Left alone they just carry on living as if they were friends. Watch tv eat chatting nicely with each other..... pure lie.
    I enjoy them all with one exception Sims 4 I enjoy an little due to what it does not offer and that is my preference for I believe in an proper evolution of games in an franchise as I look at Sims 4 as an DeEvolution meaning it evolution went in reverse or you can say it had regressed for me.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    I really believe the reason the team aims for new and modern players is because the people who started with 1 on up is stuck in nostalgia.
    I'm not denying how amazing certain aspects were like the complete well done animations and personalities but people flat out refuse to mention the flaws. And let's be honest there are a lot of things ts4 does better than the older games.

I go between sims 3 and 4 both have things to love and hate but ts4 does not get enough credit for the things it does well. So well I spend more time playing ts4. They only trash it, talk about the flaws and highlight the best parts of the older games.

That's why I look at them all very objectively. They all have flaws and highlights. And no one is wrong for loving whichever game they choose.
    But very interesting to hear your opinion after going back 🤗

@Babykittyjade agreed.

I try to be as objective as possible to enjoy the game, but it is sometimes hard when you for example can not even create a sleep over event party with the kid, but in the sims3 it was there. Well maybe it will be added but i am not getting my hopes up. Who knows at this point.

Yeah agree with the op. I can enjoy the previous ones but i dont wanna go back.

Sims3 = suprise lags and crushes. empty lots when you arrive, espacially with late night. Sims that are very hard to customize for my liking (the looked like trolls in my game)
    Sims2 = no story progression. Not beeing able to visit the neigbour next door. manage houshold tool that is missing.
    Wanted to transfer my sim from veronaville to pleasant ville. Didnt find a way to do it. Not beeing able to rotate furniture...
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Faust-RSI wrote: »
    Yeah, no stupid game-breaking NAPs, meaningful life-states, memories, sims that have real emotions like jealousy or sadness.. What an awful game, that TS2 :)

Right. What a mess to have a complex well thought game and being able to see the game tells your stories instead of making them into your head.
    Lu4ERme.gif