Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No other image speaks such truth.

2...Next

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    7wl8wbq44z651.jpg

Thank god for modders, they are the true heroes lol!

(Also, please don't be offended (though don't know why you would be). I just want to show some love for mod creators that go above and beyond to make this game playable and doing the devs jobs for free.)

Sounds like Fallout 4 and Skyrim kind of modders to me
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    @Ellupelluellu I literally never had to fix anything for the Sims 2 with mods even back in the day when it came out. I can't even remember it crashing at all in the last few years.

As for TS3 it had some issues after installing a few packs but the thing is the game itself wasn't completely unplayable. The Nraas mod just help people whose PC couldn't handle the game (which were a lot of people) clean the game up and release memory. Only Island paradise was really unplayable.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Modders don't have deadlines or people higher up telling them what they can and can't spend time on either. They literally can take as much time as they want to perfect/fix the mod without someone saying "Stop working on that it's a waste of time we need XYZ done." I've worked in environments like this and it's very frustrating. Usually the team knows what the customer wants but the team lead and/or someone higher than the team lead will tell you there's not enough time and the company wants XYZ out by the end of the week/month.

@eternalrainn Well yeah but EA is still at fault for that. If they can't get their team to work on the bugs and the game in general for a longer time so it is more polished then they are either not giving them enough money and resources or they don't have enough people working.

This is an organization issue that a big company like EA should be able to deal with.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Ha! :D

I don't know how well they get paid, but paid nonetheless and they have said things like that before. It's kind of sad and funny...

Sometimes I think the video game companies should pay modders. Especially when they've fixed a bug. Buy it off the modder, save yourself a little time and fix the game.

Lots of modders do get paid, by getting hired to work for the company. Mojang did it with a team of modders for Minecraft, and they practically are the ones in charge of developing the game now. Squad hired a selection of modders for Kerbal Space Program, and they made quite the difference. I imagine there are a number of other examples as well.

As far as just getting paid, most modders don't do it for money. They do it because they really enjoy the game and have a passion for making something new for it. Those that want to do more use those mods as a resume to get into developing. And that's how it should go.
    I don't advocate developers and publishers paying modders for their work, as it very quickly becomes not their work and the modder ends up with no rights to what they did. That's not just an EA thing, that actually falls under copyright law. There's modding which has to be free and unattached, and then there's providing an actual service for the company.

If you do want to support your favorite modders, check to see if they have a Patreon or other donation site.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Ha! :D

I don't know how well they get paid, but paid nonetheless and they have said things like that before. It's kind of sad and funny...

Sometimes I think the video game companies should pay modders. Especially when they've fixed a bug. Buy it off the modder, save yourself a little time and fix the game.

Lots of modders do get paid, by getting hired to work for the company. Mojang did it with a team of modders for Minecraft, and they practically are the ones in charge of developing the game now. Squad hired a selection of modders for Kerbal Space Program, and they made quite the difference. I imagine there are a number of other examples as well.

As far as just getting paid, most modders don't do it for money. They do it because they really enjoy the game and have a passion for making something new for it. Those that want to do more use those mods as a resume to get into developing. And that's how it should go.
    I don't advocate developers and publishers paying modders for their work, as it very quickly becomes not their work and the modder ends up with no rights to what they did. That's not just an EA thing, that actually falls under copyright law. There's modding which has to be free and unattached, and then there's providing an actual service for the company.

If you do want to support your favorite modders, check to see if they have a Patreon or other donation site.

I think you missed my undertones... When I said "companies" I really meant just one without trying to be too mean and calling them out directly. ;)

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member

Modders don't have deadlines or people higher up telling them what they can and can't spend time on either. They literally can take as much time as they want to perfect/fix the mod without someone saying "Stop working on that it's a waste of time we need XYZ done." I've worked in environments like this and it's very frustrating. Usually the team knows what the customer wants but the team lead and/or someone higher than the team lead will tell you there's not enough time and the company wants XYZ out by the end of the week/month.

@eternalrainn Well yeah but EA is still at fault for that. If they can't get their team to work on the bugs and the game in general for a longer time so it is more polished then they are either not giving them enough money and resources or they don't have enough people working.

This is an organization issue that a big company like EA should be able to deal with.

Oh I agree 100% it's an EA issue, but the original post suggests it's on the devs/designers so I'm just giving some insight to people that always bring this up and try to shift blame to them. The issue is with corporate EA. I've been saying for years if Maxis was never acquired by EA and developed and published it's own games it would probably be drastically different. Then again I have no idea if Maxis could have stood on it's own, maybe they needed the backing from EA. It was the late 90's so I was too young to understand. Still love all the games needless to say.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited September 2020
    ______
    Post edited by PreCiious on
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I'm looking at this conversation and thinking about certain modders that would be completely wasted at EA. KawaiiStacy, for example. Kawaii aesthetic would never happen officially in the game, so it's great she is free to make holographic snow, Slice of Life, and Kpop Career on her own.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member

And then there is TS2 , my favourite, I cannot believe when people says it is so perfect it it flawlessly playable without mods, must be nostalgia speaking. I play it at present day still, and we are talking about the game where, when you delete a sim from bin, using IN GAME TOOLS, you had just corrupted your hood. If you add Mrs Crumblebottom, or a taxi driver, or schoolbusdriver (and various of others) to your family (via cheats), you have at right at that moment corrupted your whole game installation. Whit mods you can most likely do the things above, without instant corruption. And after that, there is bugs in that game too, what has mods to fix it. Plus tuning mods to tweak things to your liking, as has TS3 and TS4.

Sorry, just had to say this, my apologies.

The only CC I play with in my Sims 2 game is the College Adjuster. I got tired of my Sims having final exams from 8 PM-7AM so I installed that to set the time I want them to take finals. I don't use anything else and I have been playing Sims 2 for 15 years.

• BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    it feels like ea relies too much on modders to fix their 🌺🌺🌺🌺 for free

That's because they do. They just sit and wait so they dont have to.
    giphy.gif

• RavennaRavenna Posts: 58 Member
    The thing you're mad at is capitalism
    Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'