March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would you rate the sims4 after 5+ years. Would you recommend it to new players?

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I think the other thing your survey is missing is that new players won't have any nostalgia/predjudices based on the previous games, and therefore whether or not they'll like the game will be based not on comparisons to previous editions, but on the game itself.

I'm one such new player - though at this point it's been a little over a year. Talking about what a previous edition did "better" or not than TS4 is honestly just noise to me. I'm not going to go play TS3, or TS2. At most, I might go play The Sims Medieval - and that's only because that was actually my first Sims game... but even there, I only played for a bit and then forgot about it through two computer changes - and I picked it up from the Bargain Bin.

Is TS4 without problems? Certainly not. There are bugs and places where the game fights you for certain story lines due to lack of significant consequences, and yes, the personalities are shallow. But I never thought that needing some imagination to play a sandbox game was a bad thing? I dunno, maybe because I play TTRPG's rather than computer RPGs, so everything's normally on me to tell my character's story, rather than it being decided by a combination of scripts, randomizers and algorithms.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    The Sims 4 has some great strengths, notably the organization of social life for example in the club system or in the way Sims can meet and travel together. This is better done than in any version. Also the gallery is fantastic.

But going back to closed worlds was a fatal flaw from the beginning. The impossibility to create the public space between the lots (e.g. by placing a beach somewhere at the water) and let your Sims interact with it is the culprit of the repetitiveness and limitation of the gameplay. You can only do determined things at determined places. I hope TS5 does this better.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    My response does not fit any category the OP posted. I would recommend the game. Just because I find game breaking faults in the game does not mean they will. For example: I want an industrial footprint and right now that's not possible. The NAPS are buggy. The game is broken for me. However, if a player plays green or mods the game or whatever the game is not broken for them.

I have all the packs but some are disabled. Yeah, I play it w/some packs I bought disabled. Dine Out, Parenthood and Eco Lifestyle are disabled right now. EL should not of been released in that state it was. It's a buggy mess. For me it's not about the money I spent it's about sub-par coding or whatever the current mess is. They keep pushing content that doesn't work the way it's supposed. Yeah they fix it eventually but for now I disable and wait!

unpopular opinion ...
    The game is not finished so it can't be incomplete. The Sims 4 is not a sequel. It's stands on it's own. Just because we got something previously in a different game does not warrant it's return to The Sims 4!
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    bad. In every shape and form. I play previous titles
    As a player of all 4 games in the series, I would not recommend Sims 4 to a new player. It is too buggy, from what I read in the comments every time a new pack comes out. I would recommend Sims 3 to a new player. That game has all the life stages from the base game (S4 had to wait for toddlers to be added to it). The graphics of the locations and objects was good, though the Sims didn't look so good in my opinion. The actual gameplay was better than what S4 has (even though I did not play it for very long).

I honestly wish I could even recommend Sims 2 to newer players but computers don't come with disc drives anymore, and Origin is no longer offering the Ultimate Collection to Windows users. That was the best game of the series (in my opinion).
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I am a builder/creator/someone with imagination and its great for that
    I imagine my own stories in the go.
    Sims 4 is perfect for that. It's like i can tweak the game to what i want when i want it. But random stuff also happens. Those moments change my storyline and make me rethink what to do next. And then there i go, imaginating and creating again...
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    great. I dont even play with mods/cc. I love everything about it.
    You have to take into account that a 10-year old probably would have a different experience than a 20-year old, etc. Yes, I would recommend it. Mods and CC certainly aren't a necessity for everybody and all age groups.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Its the best game with mods and cc
    It's my favorite of all the Sims games, and of all games in the universe. I love playing with tons of CC, and I also have some mods that I really enjoy playing with.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    You have to take into account that a 10-year old probably would have a different experience than a 20-year old, etc. Yes, I would recommend it. Mods and CC certainly aren't a necessity for everybody and all age groups.

@Nindigo
    Fair enough. I would totally recommend it to a rich kid. Its easy,accessible and teaches you something in a lighthearted and funny way. Just what Eco Lifestyle did.
    At the same time, you go on Twitter and see how the target audience is asking for a free pack. Watching Maxis Streams for a pack, always enters the giveaway and so on, so well i dont knwo... Sims Games are expensive. Yeah gaming is a luxury to have espacially since you need a console or a ''better'' computer to enjoy it in its fullest and with high settings... so yeah

@AnnLee87

. Its called the sims 4 so people will assume that its a sequel... Do you have a statement that its not? I am really curious. I think if they cleary said that its a spin off then it would be completly differente here and everywhere. Game is not complete thats right and things get added, but the core is the core after 5 years and i think this late it is set in stone in certain areas. Its not a bad thing everyone plays differente and is differente.

@DaWaterRat

Fair enough. I tried to be as unbiased, but i might compared the game to much to the other Sim titels.
    I dont think its a bad thing to use your imagination for this game. It was always that for me in its core. me controlling their life. I even treat them like little characters and can get attached to them.

wish i could vote again. I am in the category 4
    @PreCiious A sequel is a follow up or continuation. If each Sims game was a sequel they would not have alternative timelines and all the same characters that The Sims 1 had would be in The Sims 2, 3 and 4 like the Goths. Even the Goths are different in each game. They even have different careers etc.
    A sequel is something that takes place after or as a result of an earlier event. The numbers after The Sims are version numbers not sequels. A spin off as you stated is not a sequel. They are two different things. The Sims 4 is a spin off but not a sequel. A spin off takes an existing idea and spins it off into some new and different. To spin off something such as a game means to create a new game that is separate from the original. I stand by definition.

A cake does not get done. It finishes baking. Words are important. Saying this game is missing stuff or incomplete is wrong because it's not finished yet. No one knows what is yet to come in anything let alone this game. Talk to me about what's missing after they release the last pack.

unpopular opinion ...
    The game is not finished so it can't be incomplete. The Sims 4 is not a sequel. It's stands on it's own. Just because we got something previously in a different game does not warrant it's return to The Sims 4!
    @AnnLee87

Sequel is the wrong word here. English is not my first language and its quiet hard to articualte myself in it, but oh well i am learning.

I always considerd the sims4 as a part of the franchise. This franchise always arguably improved upon the the last serie. It gave you more gameplay features, more mechanics and options. something that was never done before in previous ones.

Sims 1
    Sims2 - Generation. Sims could age up
    Sims3 kept most of it but also added an open world. For the first time you could follow your sim to work, with a dlc. Traits for your sim
    Sims4 - kept some of it, while arguably removing a lot of gameplay mechanics that was loved by some players in previous titles. Added multitasking that works sometimes. added emotions.

But yeah you never know with Maxis, thats why i said some areas. It seems like that they like to withhold content and fan desires, to keep the Sims4 alive.

I dont need to talk to you about whats missing when the last pack comes out. Open world will never be a thing for example. Thats set in stone at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAXA584oJl0
    @PreCiious The Sims 4 is a separate game in a franchise. They made 4 separate games that stand independently from each other. Yes, The Sims is a franchise. The Sims 4 was made with closed worlds. Open worlds are not missing because they were not meant to be part of The Sims 4. I will say it again. Just because we got something previously in a "different game" does not warrant it's return to The Sims 4! I am finished here trying to explain what is obvious to me. I guess that's why they call it an unpopular opinion! (even though it's fact according to definition) lol
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    All games are expensive. Many people ask for free packs, enter giveaways, look for ways to play anything without having to pay for it. Some because they simply can't afford that specific game, others because they don't want to pay even if they have the spare cash. It doesn't make TS4 any more expensive than others, it's just the way things are. Back in the TS1 days, making copies of CDs was what happened: you'd hope one of your friends paid for a game so you could get a copy. And just looking at numbers against previous installments is unfair because currency inflation is a thing and 20$ now doesn't go as far as it did 10 years ago.

This iteration being called Sims 4 doesn't necessarily mean it's a sequel in the gaming world. Civilization games were numbered too and it meant that it's a new version of the same game, with modifications to the core idea: graphics, mechanics, etc. The same goes for the Final Fantasy franchise, each of the games stands on its own.

With game franchises, there's always the thing that people have their favorites. FF fans have theirs that vary across the entire series, TS fans have the same (I mean, how many people think Medieval or Urbz are the best? lots, I bet). I wish we had a proper version of the older games for people to try out so they can find their favorite without the need to pit them against each other (people AND games) because at the end of the day, they're different games.
    @darrenfroggy

I get it. They dont have to add more stuff or stuff that were in previous iterations, just because it is a new Version... Its not a contract. They can do whatever they want and still have an audience.

But lets not denie the fact that they made a lot (not all) of long time sims players leave the ship, because of that fact.
    or even leaving simmers who like to play the game, (on certain areas) dissapointed for that asking price or whatever

Fact is that they are aiming towards a new audience. Every Game needs to make sure that the game is selling well, i get it, but in the sims4.... ? I think its because of the fact that it is really necessary.

I am curious though... Did Maxis/EA ever gave people the Sims 1-3 Basegame for free during its life cycle? I dont recall it in the sims3?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    PreCiious wrote: »
    @darrenfroggy

I get it. They dont have to add more stuff or stuff that were in previous iterations, just because it is a new Version... Its not a contract. They can do whatever they want and still have an audience.

But lets not denie the fact that they made a lot (not all) of long time sims players leave the ship, because of that fact.
    or even leaving simmers who like to play the game, (on certain areas) dissapointed for that asking price or whatever

Fact is that they are aiming towards a new audience. Every Game needs to make sure that the game is selling well, i get it, but in the sims4.... ? I think its because of the fact that it is really necessary.

I am curious though... Did Maxis/EA ever gave people the Sims 1-3 Basegame for free during its life cycle? I dont recall it in the sims3?

The leaving thing happens in all franchises, the one notable example being FF. People jumped ship after FFX-2 and it's one of my faves.
    Some of that is also expectations of what a new game in a franchise will be. If it's a redrawn clone of the previous one, it's not worth it. If it does things differently, it will make some people unhappy and some people happy. At the end of the day, the image of TS4 is what it is because speaking about it in both good and bad ways is more visible (thank you, social media).

I'm not saying their marketing methods are awesome. They're not. They are unfortunately what is the norm nowadays: get as many new people in as possible, count on the loyalty of existing customers/fans. It's true across all entertainment media and it's annoying.
    But while some people will move on to other things that they consider better, there is a base of players who don't hate TS4, even prefer it, even if they played the previous versions before. It's just that the ones who aren't happy do have (some valid, some not so much) reasons to speak out, so they're more visible.

I don't know about the base game giveaway for the other Sims games. I would guess it wasn't possible with TS1, I know there was a TS2 thing where you only needed one pack or base game to get the UC.
    But for what it's worth, I've just gotten my kid the Lego Ninjago game on Steam when they were giving it out for free a few weeks ago. So it's possible that this is just a recent marketing thing that no one considered before.
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    somewhat enjoyable with mods/cc but still missing a lot
    I am able to enjoy the game while playing but I feel as though there is still quite a bit of work that could be done on the game. There are also a few too many bugs in the game for my liking (hopefully whenever they release the eco lifestyle bug patch it fixes the majority of the bugs that came with the pack).

Personally, I'd like to see more added to the current game instead of new systems. For example: flesh out kids and teens more, enhance Sims personalities, etc. Just my opinion for what I would enjoy with my game play.
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    Yes, I'm a builder and, for that, the game is fun enough. But, I'm also a player. Here is where it gets difficult for me to pair my response with the choices offered. For one, I need mods to pay this game (that's no different than any other game for me -- there are always bug fixes to make every game play that much better and plenty of other mods to deepen the gameplay itself, so no surprise there and no dig on TS4 either).

However, my bottom line experience with TS4 is that it looks great, runs great with a TON of mods/cc, and strikes a nice balance (imo) between open and closed worlds. So many great features in TS4! Unfortunately, I can't say that my gameplay experience is great. It's not. It's just, at best, good.

I like TS4. I have no doubt, should I move onto TS5, that I'll be missing plenty of great (and new) features from TS4 (why oh why can't they make one sims game that has the best of every franchise in order to actually make a "complete" game experience? they've only had how many years of experience?).

If the sims themselves had more depth, the relationships had more consequences/impacts, if the sims grew from their experience (like what Will Wright is doing currently with his new game Proxi https://proxiai.com/ , and if the sims themselves had more to do that isn't simply more rabbit holes or point-and-click quests/collecting/etc., then I have no doubt TS4 would have been so much more than it is, at least for me.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited June 2020
    It was difficult to pick, but I went with this choice because I enjoy the game, I think it has a lot of things that the other iterations don't have. But then it also lacks a lot of what the other iterations *do* have. But this is Sims 4, not Sims 2, or Sims 3, etc. So, I know it won't be the same and I don't want it to be the same (when I say the same, I mean an exact replica of Sims 2, or 3 expansions, I want Seasons obviously because it's a simulation and I do like realism in the game with supernatural options, too.. but I want Seasons to have new features that we didn't have in Sims 2-3 and we got that with Traditions, calendar, gardening career, being able to do a bit more at holidays/get togethers),but there are things that I had hoped would be implemented by now, but the launch of this game was really awful so I feel that's why it's so behind. I mean, we *just* got Firemen npcs in the game after six years. :x

So, I do play with a couple of mods like MC Command as well as More Personality Please and Meaningful Stories.

There is a lot that I enjoy, and the survey's that we've gotten recently has made me very hopeful that at least some of the mentions could very well be implemented and that makes me happy. With Knitting Stuff (I know it's called Nifty Knitting) adding clothing for babies, that makes me hopeful it's the start of some update for babies and it's got me speculating and wondering.. if maybe that's when we'd see a baby update, but I don't know if they'd do a 'big' patch update like that for a stuff pack, but maybe the next expansion pack or the following one, might be something like 'generations' and we could see the update for babies then.

I love this game, but I'd definitely like to see improvements on personality, traits, emotions and even see new systems like an attraction system, likes/dislikes and more hobbies. 💚
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @PreCiious I consider the cost of Sims 4 and its additional content pocket money. And I'm by no means rich, but I suppose it depends on where you live in the world, your age, and personal circumstances. I'm not in the US, and early retired. But whatever the case, we shouldn't try to diminish what the game may mean to people who are more or less satisfied, just as they shouldn't diminish other people's feelings of dissatisfaction. It's an individual experience for everybody and opinions differ. There is no one truth in this matter, as is the case in many, many others.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    edited June 2020
    I don't love everything about it, there are still some things I miss and some things that really get on my nerves, but I don't need mods or cc to make the game playable or enjoyable.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited June 2020
    okay, but not worth the money (bugs,boring). I play maybe 2h , saw everything and dont bother
    Imho
    Ive never used mods so i don't have an opinion on that.

None of the dlc is worth the asking price, or base game. If you do buy it, only on sale. If you do buy dlc, you'll still get bored quick. Id reccomend Sims 2 or 3 for brand new players of the series. For someone who wants something of a 'Sims Lite' or like a more expanded mobile game, Sims 4 is something Id reccomend. Or if they arent really a gamer, rather than age.

For example, my siblings are both teen (12-14)My little sister doesnt play games as often or as well as my little brother. For her, sims 2 is too outdated and sims 3 too complicated. Sims 4 is the best looking and simplest for her to engage in, and even then she is still confused with the mechanics. My brother likes Sims 2 and 3 and would get bored with 4.

I think it has more to do with your game experience than age. Still, I think Sims 4 has best CAS and build I wish the other games had. But the older games have more personality and depth, AND their expansions are all worth the price. Especially with Sims 3, theyre often on sale on steam for 5.00! A lot better than Sims 4 prices for what you get!!

I dont play Sims 4 any longer than about an hour if I do, then stop for 6-8 months and pop in again to test out new updates (like the first person mode is so cool!) But none of them are worth continually playing the game or buying any dlc. I don't think it can improve in a way for me to enjoy this game, so I wait on Sims 5 to fufill my expectations!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    The sims4 is not a bad game, but I would play it much less if it did not have mods.

There are too many things that Maxis have added over the years that I want mods for and some things that Maxis have just given up on. The way the game generates townies and outfits are a mess and some features from different packs are too annoying, like the celebrity walk or playing in mud puddles.

I also don't like that they focus on making as many packs as possible and don't update the game that much, we got firefighters after 6 years. Bug fixing and testing is not a priority and some packs suffer a lot because of it.

I also don't like their marketing. Their videos are heavily edited and they always try to make the game look better than it is, like making the careers look like active careers for example.
  • EldraiEldrai Posts: 25 Member
    I am a builder/creator/someone with imagination and its great for that
    I now use it mainly for building. I do sometimes try family-style gameplay but I lose my interest quickly because, to me, all sims act exactly the same. I can't get a feel for their 'character' like I do in TS3. I'd recommend it for its build/buy mode but not for gameplay.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    okay, but not worth the money (bugs,boring). I play maybe 2h , saw everything and dont bother
    I chose 2 as it is just that and nothing more, Sims 4 has improved over time as the base game was just an serious bore and I could not play more than 15 mins at an time. Most of the packs was an hit or miss and had restrictions the pack I really found good was GT and EL 2nd but it still does not elevate Sims 4 to new heights as the game as an whole lacks certain features that deal with editing and the neighborhoods look the same no matter what you lay down. I wish I could say a lot of good things about Sims 4 but I can't as it does not bring more to the table for me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    I spend too much money on the sims 4 .When I know they can do better in-depth game play on this game.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited June 2020
    Don't fall for 'statistics' that The Sims 4 does 'so well'. They often aren't picturing what they claim to be. A lot of word playing in marketing, so again.. don't go off statistics.
    Always open your ears around you and hear what real players are saying, not what the company itself states or paid/rewarded influencers.
    What you see on the forums, social media comments covered under the risen up pro comments that you find there if you don't look a little further, you will see that The Sims 4 is definitely the worst game. Why? Cause the franchise took a complete turn to serve an agenda and it shows A LOT. So much more than previous games.
    Fans and the community are being ignored. The only attention it seems to get is whenever it serves the company well enough along with their own motives. Important features, fixes and content do not matter to them and they hold all the strings to make it appear as however they desire.

I would never recommend this game to anyone and I have not. I always start off with how they ruined The Sims. Even after 6 years, it is is bad, boring and soo lacking. With this game they are forcing a certain view on us of the world which isn't our reality at all. And if you think about the fact that it is 6 years and still we don't have so many basic features, does not really make it better than the first stage where you could somehow have more sympathy for missing features. The longer this goes on, the worse it actually gets.

Not sure what this vote stands for as it looks like I played the game just a bit and then did never bother anymore which would be odd. I play it, but it is bad and full of emptiness. I play The Sims, cause I grew up with it, but its sad to feel that even that is slowly dying inside of me.