Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Lifestyle - Bits and Pieces??

Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
I'm playing Rags to Riches, Off the Grid style and having a blast!! Trying to have my freelance Sim focus on candle making and fabricating which requires bits and pieces, instead of the easier money makers such as painting. I've been having her dumper dive & recycle for 'bits and pieces'.

In the panel where the money is located, there's also two numbers which I think are the bits and pieces.
I have less of the top number (which I need) - I'm assuming that's the bits.
The bottom number I have tons - I'm assuming that's the pieces.

Does anyone know how to get more bits? I can screenshot what I'm referring to (hopefully, I don't have them reversed). I'm curious if recycling certain 'items' gives more bits vs pieces?

Comments

• Options
    TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    I don't know. I am so confused as to how to even get them from the machine. they aren't in my inventory and I can't get them out of the machine so I can't make candles.
    Simming for twenty years...
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I'm playing Rags to Riches, Off the Grid style and having a blast!! Trying to have my freelance Sim focus on candle making and fabricating which requires bits and pieces, instead of the easier money makers such as painting. I've been having her dumper dive & recycle for 'bits and pieces'.

In the panel where the money is located, there's also two numbers which I think are the bits and pieces.
    I have less of the top number (which I need) - I'm assuming that's the bits.
    The bottom number I have tons - I'm assuming that's the pieces.

Does anyone know how to get more bits? I can screenshot what I'm referring to (hopefully, I don't have them reversed). I'm curious if recycling certain 'items' gives more bits vs pieces?

Recycling trash bags gives the most amount of bits and pieces from what I have noticed. Don't think you can collect them separately, they always seem to be collected together.
  • Options
    ripentogetherripentogether Posts: 87 Member
    I'm also just figuring this out now -- I found that when I recycled little things like fruit or a photograph, I only would get something like two (what I think are) pieces. But then my sim went diving for deals, got a planter decoration, and that FINALLY gave me around 45 bits too. So I guess that's not anything definite but it seems like the best bang for your buck is to recyled more substantial things you get from diving for deals.
  • Options
    I don't know. I am so confused as to how to even get them from the machine. they aren't in my inventory and I can't get them out of the machine so I can't make candles.

You don't need to take them out of the machine, they are bound to your household, same as money.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Candles only require wax and dyes. You can get wax from buying them, bees, and the soy plants.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    SIMileyFaceSIMileyFace Posts: 49 Member
    Has anyone worked out what items give you the most bits and pieces when put through the recycler?? I don't know if my game was bugged, or it was meant to be like it...but if I put things that I found in a dumpster through the recycler I got 0 bits and pieces for it?
    I eventually tried to put trash through and that gave me a fair bit...but it seems pretty inconsistent?? So I'm unsure what I should be putting into it.

This all happened during an episode of my let's play, so if anyone wants to see my struggles with putting a bunch of things through the recycle machine and getting nothing for it you can watch it here
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    LGR recycled tablets to get his.
    I think anything you can put in your inventory, you can recycle.
    You could grow fruit, or buy tablets (or bikes, or easels), or anything, really.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    Okay I'll try fruit, thanks. Photos from my inventory gave me 0, same as the furniture I tried.
    I'm doing a rags to riches, so I don't really want to have to buy things to recycle haha
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    The burnt furniture you get from dumpster diving doesn't give any bits and pieces. Probably because they're completely destroyed objects and there's nothing to recycle.
    I've found that instead of doing the dishes, you can just recycle any plates, bowls, etc. I think they give more bits than pieces? But it may be the other way around, my sim has plenty of both so I'm not really paying attention to it.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    RossumRossum Posts: 5 New Member
    You can also use dishes or packed lunches to refill dumpsters.

Go to the bar in Port Promise, order the meat and cheese platter, pack it into several packed lunches, and then head to the dumpster right outside the bar. Dumpster dive a few times until it's empty, dump the packed lunches in to refill it, and dumpster dive some more. You can do the same thing using quick meals from refrigerators or coolers.

Then use the recycler on the broken furniture or items you get.

You can also put the packed lunches or dishes into a small trash bin, click "empty trash", cancel it so they drop the trash on the ground, put the trash in your inventory, and then recycle it from inventory.

I've also noticed on the dumpsters that sometimes there is a "sort recyclables" option. When you do this and there is a recycler nearby, your sim will automatically take it to the recycler to get bits and pieces. If there isn't one nearby they add the recyclables to their inventory. I'm not sure why this only shows up sometimes, it might be only available to freegan sims.
  • Options
    MDianaSims wrote: »
    The burnt furniture you get from dumpster diving doesn't give any bits and pieces. Probably because they're completely destroyed objects and there's nothing to recycle.
    I've found that instead of doing the dishes, you can just recycle any plates, bowls, etc. I think they give more bits than pieces? But it may be the other way around, my sim has plenty of both so I'm not really paying attention to it.
    Aha that makes sense then, I think the furniture I tried were burnt. Great tip thank you! I'll give bowls and plates a try! Thanks so much :smile:

Rossum wrote: »
    You can also use dishes or packed lunches to refill dumpsters.

Go to the bar in Port Promise, order the meat and cheese platter, pack it into several packed lunches, and then head to the dumpster right outside the bar. Dumpster dive a few times until it's empty, dump the packed lunches in to refill it, and dumpster dive some more. You can do the same thing using quick meals from refrigerators or coolers.

Then use the recycler on the broken furniture or items you get.

You can also put the packed lunches or dishes into a small trash bin, click "empty trash", cancel it so they drop the trash on the ground, put the trash in your inventory, and then recycle it from inventory.

I've also noticed on the dumpsters that sometimes there is a "sort recyclables" option. When you do this and there is a recycler nearby, your sim will automatically take it to the recycler to get bits and pieces. If there isn't one nearby they add the recyclables to their inventory. I'm not sure why this only shows up sometimes, it might be only available to freegan sims.
    Wow such great tips! Thank you so much!!!
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    One thing that's frustrating is that you can't split bits and pieces when someone moves out of the household. Before my Sim aged up from a teenager I had her rummaging in the bins to gather bits and pieces. When she aged up and I moved her to Evergreen Harbour she had to start all over because the pieces stayed with her previous household.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    What I've done is place dumpsters at every venue, especially restaurants for my trash. I haven't been back with my sim to check, I'm giving it a few sim days. I put a recycler at Elixirs and Brews in GB and my spellcaster sim goes to recycle her trash there...works great. I'm not putting a NAP in GB, there are so few lots anyway. Hopefully it will change or keep the lot neutral...I do not want trashy, thanks anyway. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    DreamOperatorDreamOperator Posts: 241 Member
    Has anyone figured out what gives bits and what gives pieces? I think it is strange that they are even separated like that instead of just being one type of recycled material. I ask because I had my spellcaster sim recycle a lot of potion ingredients that he had stored, but didn't need anymore since he can just duplicate the potions. He got like over 1000 of the pieces (I think...it was the bottom one), but barely any bits. There were a variety of things that got recycled as well such as crystals, metals, harvestables and mysim figurines. So apparently all of those kind of things mostly give pieces? So what gives bits?
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Has anyone figured out what gives bits and what gives pieces? I think it is strange that they are even separated like that instead of just being one type of recycled material. I ask because I had my spellcaster sim recycle a lot of potion ingredients that he had stored, but didn't need anymore since he can just duplicate the potions. He got like over 1000 of the pieces (I think...it was the bottom one), but barely any bits. There were a variety of things that got recycled as well such as crystals, metals, harvestables and mysim figurines. So apparently all of those kind of things mostly give pieces? So what gives bits?

I think bits are from anything that isn't natural maybe like a couch and metal etc while pieces are natural stuff like veggies and fruits etc. The symbol for pieces is a banana by the looks of it. But going by what you said of your spellcaster only getting pieces I am getting confused myself. I think I will go in my game in a bit and specifically only recycle produce and then something metal or the like to see which is which. The developers should make this more clear!
  • Options
    HannoieHannoie Posts: 752 Member
    If you have Spa Day installed—yoga mats!! They cost 125 simoleons, and you get like 32 bits, and only 10 pieces. It’s the quickest way I’ve found to balance out my bits and pieces, because I used to have way WAY more pieces than bits.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    A bit off topic but has anyone tried the landfill lot trait for venues? What does it do?
  • Options
    The Waterfront lot in Evergreen Harbour is landfill. Sims bring trash bags and dump them there.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    The Waterfront lot in Evergreen Harbour is landfill. Sims bring trash bags and dump them there.

Oh cool :) thank you for answering
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Thanks for the insight everyone. I had my Sim start recycling the furniture she fabricates and that seems to be giving more bits. My Sim has over 13,000 pieces....and not a lot of bits....so it's all just very strange to have two numbers and not know what type of item gives what.
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I feel like the banana means compostable materials like food or compost bits where as the screw is recycled materials like scraps of wood or metals :P
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Hannoie wrote: »
    If you have Spa Day installed—yoga mats!! They cost 125 simoleons, and you get like 32 bits, and only 10 pieces. It’s the quickest way I’ve found to balance out my bits and pieces, because I used to have way WAY more pieces than bits.

Thanks - I'm suddenly having a terrible time getting bits. I was going to have my Sims build their entire house (or mostly, anyway), and despite recycling everything, they haven't got enough bits to make anything.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Birdy26Birdy26 Posts: 1 New Member
    All my bits and pieces have suddenly disappeared and using the recycler doesn't seem to produce more. I tried deleting and replacing my recycler but it did not help. Anyone have a solution to this problem?
  • Options
    Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    edited September 2020
    When i used cheats to add Bits and Pieces and i hovered the fabricator, It indicates Zero Is there any solution to this? Immediate Response needed.
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    The only suggestion I have right now is to remove your mods if you are using any. You should also check The Sims 4 forums at EA Answers HQ to see if anyone there is reporting similar problems. https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en