Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If there is a 'The Sims 5' what year should it be announced, and what year should it be released?

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Announcement 2020 release 2021.

For me, Sims 4 feels complete in itself. It's the best live game play of all versions for my particular style of game play, but I'd still love to see it last longer for the new packs coming out. I'd love to see a snowy vacation world, more surprise strangerville style packs, more packs for kids, etc.

But if it was dropped tomorrow I'd be very happy with the game it currently is and continue to play it as long as I have a computer that could run it. I wouldn't switch to Sims 5 since I only have time for one Sims game, I already own Sims 4 and wouldn't want to spend money on restarting. Plus I've been playing the same families on extra slow aging for the past 3.5 years, over 1000 hours into these three neighbour families and the oldest kids just became young adults! I wouldn't want to give up this save or family and start again at this point with new sims.

If they decided to give Sims 4 players a free version of Sims 5 (yah, never gonna happen) then sure I'd download it and give it a try before returning to my current save, I'm not against it coming out, but not interested either as it's likely not going to affect me.)

What exactly do you do in your live game???

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Announcement 2023 release 2025.

For me, Sims 4 feels complete in itself. It's the best live game play of all versions for my particular style of game play, but I'd still love to see it last longer for the new packs coming out. I'd love to see a snowy vacation world, more surprise strangerville style packs, more packs for kids, etc.

But if it was dropped tomorrow I'd be very happy with the game it currently is and continue to play it as long as I have a computer that could run it. I wouldn't switch to Sims 5 since I only have time for one Sims game, I already own Sims 4 and wouldn't want to spend money on restarting. Plus I've been playing the same families on extra slow aging for the past 3.5 years, over 1000 hours into these three neighbour families and the oldest kids just became young adults! I wouldn't want to give up this save or family and start again at this point with new sims.

If they decided to give Sims 4 players a free version of Sims 5 (yah, never gonna happen) then sure I'd download it and give it a try before returning to my current save, I'm not against it coming out, but not interested either as it's likely not going to affect me.)

I play 3 families, telling stories I've written ahead. I play large mixed families with loads of kids/Tots. (one family haas 4 kids, one has 9 and one has 12... (some aging out). ONe family the parents are detectives, they are the ones with 9 kids, 3 adopted, and then 6 from a previous marriage by one of them), the main family I play is a archeologist/writer mum and stay at home dad with 12 kids (7 adopted through foster care, I use a mod to add that in but don't have many other mods), and the smallest family are conservationists clenaing up Sulani. (They all live on Sulani and are all neighbours and best friends)
    besides that just normal familly life... lots of Sulani festivals, swimming, jet skiing, sandcastle building, and the odd trip to the jungle for family holidays (for the archeologists family) or the city/woods for the others.
    I've played the main family 3.5 years and hte oldest kids just became young adults and some moved out. One moved to the City and married a celebrity but I don't pllay her anymore (I couldn't play ALL the families kids, so I'm picking which ones will carry on the next gens and other than one it'll be the ones that stay in Sulani and carry on in their parents conservationist and large foster family type footsteps haha)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2020
    Announcement 2021 release 2023.
    @ClarionOfJoy There are always people who like a game no matter how bad. It is just a mix of what a specific person wants to do and what the game offers.

You can take the worst games of all time and you'll still find die-hard fans of it. No matter how many players are disappointed in EA and the Sims 4, there will always be those people that are attracted to the game.

It's weird but it's a phenomenon hehe.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Announcement 2019, Release 2020.

You can take the worst games of all time and you'll still find die-hard fans of it. No matter how many players are disappointed in EA and the Sims 4, there will always be those people that are attracted to the game.

Not true do you Remember the Big Brother game? I don't think that had any fans.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited June 2020

I play 3 families, telling stories I've written ahead. I play large mixed families with loads of kids/Tots. (one family haas 4 kids, one has 9 and one has 12... (some aging out). ONe family the parents are detectives, they are the ones with 9 kids, 3 adopted, and then 6 from a previous marriage by one of them), the main family I play is a archeologist/writer mum and stay at home dad with 12 kids (7 adopted through foster care, I use a mod to add that in but don't have many other mods), and the smallest family are conservationists clenaing up Sulani. (They all live on Sulani and are all neighbours and best friends)
    besides that just normal familly life... lots of Sulani festivals, swimming, jet skiing, sandcastle building, and the odd trip to the jungle for family holidays (for the archeologists family) or the city/woods for the others.
    I've played the main family 3.5 years and hte oldest kids just became young adults and some moved out. One moved to the City and married a celebrity but I don't pllay her anymore (I couldn't play ALL the families kids, so I'm picking which ones will carry on the next gens and other than one it'll be the ones that stay in Sulani and carry on in their parents conservationist and large foster family type footsteps haha)
    @ClarionOfJoy There are always people who like a game no matter how bad. It is just a mix of what a specific person wants to do and what the game offers.

@ClarionOfJoy @SimmerGeorge

I think it's absolutely awesome that a player can enjoy a game the way @SimAlexandria does and that they can be content with something for what it is.

The biggest complaint about TS4 is that the sims have no unique characters, and yet somehow it's 'weird but a phenomenon' that people have a unique character in 'real life' because they choose to play a game in a way that suits their life and character and be fully content with it?

I'm flabbergasted.

@NXOR007 it's just weird to me that players will invest in this game and its overpriced expansion packs instead of asking for more, especially considering how much more good quality content you would get in previous installments.

Gameplay experience is subjective but there are things that can be critiqued objectively in a game.

I think it's great @SimAlexandria can enjoy the game so much. Like she says it's a personal playstyle. I have been in that position before with Final fantasy XIII which was heavily critized but I enjoyed it so much. Still I can objectively say it was not a great game but for what I wanted to have from that game I was fully satisfied.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    2042. I just like the number. And maybe i will have a better PC until then.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
    @NXOR007 it's just weird to me that players will invest in this game and its overpriced expansion packs instead of asking for more, especially considering how much more good quality content you would get in previous installments.

Gameplay experience is subjective but there are things that can be critiqued objectively in a game.

I think it's great @SimAlexandria can enjoy the game so much. Like she says it's a personal playstyle. I have been in that position before with Final fantasy XIII which was heavily critized but I enjoyed it so much. Still I can objectively say it was not a great game but for what I wanted to have from that game I was fully satisfied.

I get what you're saying and it's all grand. But if something works for someone there's no need for them to criticize that something. It doesn't matter how much it costs, money has nothing to do with it. True enjoyment is priceless. If you're content with what you have, why would you want more, just because some group says they should be wanting more?

@SimAlexandria may never have played previous installments and TS4 is all she wants and needs at the moment. That's not weird. That's wonderful.
    edited June 2020
    NXOR007 wrote: »
    I get what you're saying and it's all grand. But if something works for someone there's no need for them to criticize that something. It doesn't matter how much it costs, money has nothing to do with it. True enjoyment is priceless. If you're content with what you have, why would you want more, just because some group says they should be wanting more?

Like with that game I mentioned previously I understand why people didn't like it and I can still give an objective opinion like "oh that feature was not well done" or "I would love it if we had more content etc". I nevertheless love the game still and I'm satisfied with what I got but I can step out of my shoes and observe everything more objectively.

It is the same with food for example, if you get a meal with spinach but you hate spinach ofc you won't enjoy the meal, someone else who likes spinach will enjoy the meal though. This is an subjective point of view.

If you however order a meal and some of it is undercooked, it doesn't matter how much you love the ingredients the food is not cooked enough. That is a fact and an objective point of view.

I do think The Sims 4 belongs in both categories for me, since I don't like its "spinach" but some other people do and that's fine. However I also believe The Sims 4 is objectively a little "undercooked" and that's something you can't deny even if you love the "meal"/game itself.
    edited June 2020

@SimAlexandria may never have played previous installments and TS4 is all she wants and needs at the moment. That's not weird. That's wonderful.

Just woke up to everyone talking about me hahaha! I feel like I missed a lot!

For the record, I have played previous versions, been playing 20 years, but TS4 is the one that hooked me and gave me what I was looking for. And thanks all :)

@SimmerGeorge I get what you are saying with the meals, And with personalities (but not other aspects of the game, there are plenty of things lke toddlers etc) that are more detailed than other games, so we're looking at a small feature of the game, not the game itself, but even if personalities in the game were all that mattered to everyone (they aren't, but they are important to me) you could call it "Undercooked" for sure. I'll agree with that.

HOWEVER, in your analogy I wouldn't say it's fact that undercooked is a bad thing and is subjective itself. If the game is a vegetable then some people (myself) prefer it raw, some like it cooked until it's almost mush, and some like it in between and there's nothing wrong with any form.
    (If you are comparing the game to a piece of chicken then I suppose undercooked would be a problem, you would get quite sick. But that would be a wrong analogy because the way the game is, there's plenty of people who like it how it is and are able to happily (safely) enjoy it this way without issue.

The only REAL problem with the game that is not subjective would be bugs/glitches... but most get fixed and while those are fact, not subjective, I'm not sure there's any game that doesn't have them and whether or not it's a problem in your personal game depends on play style. For example, there was (is?) some bug that woohoo in a light house wasn't working. Not sure if it's fixed because I don't play in Brindletown and it's never affected me, but I can't deny it was a problem and an issue that needed fixed. However, there was also a glitch where toddlers couldn't put down plates and had them permanently stuck to their hands stopping them from going to bed, potty, or anything else. This glitch occurred in the middle of my 100 baby challenge when I had 6 toddlers. So yeah, it was game breaking for me and I couldn't play until it was fixed. I would say it was undeniably bad, but for someone without any tots in their household it wouldn't have affected them at all and not at all game breaking.

And I also do think Sims 4 is lacking in some aspects, but it seems subjective as to whether those things are important. I think it needs non-mutual relationships, preteens, preschoolers, free babies and middle agers, but to others those are unimportant or even would be really bad things, so again just because something is lacking doesn't mean it's "bad". To others, it's lacking personalities and a colour wheel, to me the addition of those things would be "bad" and the lack of them is good. Hence the comparison to vegetables, rather than meat.

Like with that game I mentioned previously I understand why people didn't like it and I can still give an objective opinion like "oh that feature was not well done" or "I would love it if we had more content etc". I nevertheless love the game still and I'm satisfied with what I got but I can step out of my shoes and observe everything more objectively.

It is the same with food for example, if you get a meal with spinach but you hate spinach ofc you won't enjoy the meal, someone else who likes spinach will enjoy the meal though. This is an subjective point of view.

If you however order a meal and some of it is undercooked, it doesn't matter how much you love the ingredients the food is not cooked enough. That is a fact and an objective point of view.

I do think The Sims 4 belongs in both categories for me, since I don't like its "spinach" but some other people do and that's fine. However I also believe The Sims 4 is objectively a little "undercooked" and that's something you can't deny even if you love the "meal"/game itself.

I totally agree with you that one can look at things from both a subjective and objective angle. And it's OK to criticize something even if you like it a lot.
    However, in this case I still feel you're viewing things from your own perspective and others that may agree with your POV. Personally you think the spinach is under cooked and so you will let the chef know because it bothers you. Someone else eating the same dish has no problem with the spinach because they are not bothered by a bit of under cooked veg since the rest of the meal is so delicious, or even better, they simply do not regard the spinach to be under cooked. For them the dish is perfect.
    edited June 2020

For the record, I have played previous versions, been playing 20 years, but TS4 is the one that hooked me and gave me what I was looking for. And thanks all :)

@SimmerGeorge I get what you are saying with the meals, And with personalities (but not other aspects of the game, there are plenty of things lke toddlers etc) that are more detailed than other games, so we're looking at a small feature of the game, not the game itself, but even if personalities in the game were all that mattered to everyone (they aren't, but they are important to me) you could call it "Undercooked" for sure. I'll agree with that.

HOWEVER, in your analogy I wouldn't say it's fact that undercooked is a bad thing and is subjective itself. If the game is a vegetable then some people (myself) prefer it raw, some like it cooked until it's almost mush, and some like it in between and there's nothing wrong with any form.
    (If you are comparing the game to a piece of chicken then I suppose undercooked would be a problem, you would get quite sick. But that would be a wrong analogy because the way the game is, there's plenty of people who like it how it is and are able to happily (safely) enjoy it this way without issue.

The only REAL problem with the game that is not subjective would be bugs/glitches... but most get fixed and while those are fact, not subjective, I'm not sure there's any game that doesn't have them and whether or not it's a problem in your personal game depends on play style. For example, there was (is?) some bug that woohoo in a light house wasn't working. Not sure if it's fixed because I don't play in Brindletown and it's never affected me, but I can't deny it was a problem and an issue that needed fixed. However, there was also a glitch where toddlers couldn't put down plates and had them permanently stuck to their hands stopping them from going to bed, potty, or anything else. This glitch occurred in the middle of my 100 baby challenge when I had 6 toddlers. So yeah, it was game breaking for me and I couldn't play until it was fixed. I would say it was undeniably bad, but for someone without any tots in their household it wouldn't have affected them at all and not at all game breaking.

And I also do think Sims 4 is lacking in some aspects, but it seems subjective as to whether those things are important. I think it needs non-mutual relationships, preteens, preschoolers, free babies and middle agers, but to others those are unimportant or even would be really bad things, so again just because something is lacking doesn't mean it's "bad". To others, it's lacking personalities and a colour wheel, to me the addition of those things would be "bad" and the lack of them is good. Hence the comparison to vegetables, rather than meat.

@SimAlexandria, I was thinking that you might get a bit of a shock seeing all those comments haha.

You elaborated on what I was trying to say. And it's great that you found that TS4 is the game that works best for you regardless of playing previous installments and for so many years. Awesome! ;)

@SimAlexandria, I was thinking that you might get a bit of a shock seeing all those comments haha.

You elaborated on what I was trying to say. And it's great that you found that TS4 is the game that works best for you regardless of playing previous installments and for so many years. Awesome! ;)

haha ty! and yes, I was surprised to say the least LOL!!!
    @SimAlexandria @NXOR007 I'm sorry to keep replying to you guys. I really like the way you discuss and it is actually helping me understand the rest of the fanbase better and that is something I apprieciate a lot. Especially because one of you is completely on the opposite site of the scale and the other one kind of in the middle, it provides a good representation of different viewpoints on the Sims 4.

Like you said someone might like their spinach a little more undercooked than the other or might not mind it not being cooked well (still talking about the Sims 4 hehe). It's like a burger, either rare, medium or well-done, I prefer it well-done someone else medium.

I think the problem begins when something is completely raw but I don't think I want to put The Sims 4 in that category 'cause it isn't not soooo "undercooked". It doesn't deserve to be called raw 'cause it is not really "unplayable" but you get my point, I should have said uncooked(raw) instead of undercooked in my previous replies.

I really apprieciate your opinions and sorry for the food analogies. I just couldn't express it in a different way. I just have a lot of fun analysing the Sims 'cause it's a very unique concept and it is also very intruiging to see how different people react to it.

edited June 2020
    @SimAlexandria @NXOR007 I'm sorry to keep replying to you guys. I really like the way you discuss and it is actually helping me understand the rest of the fanbase better and that is something I apprieciate a lot. Especially because one of you is completely on the opposite site of the scale and the other one kind of in the middle, it provides a good representation of different viewpoints on the Sims 4.

Like you said someone might like their spinach a little more undercooked than the other or might not mind it not being cooked well (still talking about the Sims 4 hehe). It's like a burger, either rare, medium or well-done, I prefer it well-done someone else medium.

I think the problem begins when something is completely raw but I don't think I want to put The Sims 4 in that category 'cause it isn't not soooo "undercooked". It doesn't deserve to be called raw 'cause it is not really "unplayable" but you get my point, I should have said uncooked(raw) instead of undercooked in my previous replies.

I really apprieciate your opinions and sorry for the food analogies. I just couldn't express it in a different way. I just have a lot of fun analysing the Sims 'cause it's a very unique concept and it is also very intruiging to see how different people react to it.

Hey man, don't be sorry at all! Discussions are to be had. That's why we're here! B)

I'm also very intrigued by the concept of sims and the way different people play with the game. I'm totally with you on that one. It's great to have a banter about these things.

I do personally like my steak close to raw though, so let's not go there haha. ;)
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on

I do personally like my steak close to raw though, so let's not go there haha. ;)

Haha oh my god

Haha no worries :). I don't mind discussion.. Even if you are making me hungry.. Lol! Is it dinner time yet? Haha!

I prefer my steak well done. No pink at all. So unlike my sims haha

On another note! No one in my country (Canada) would eat hamburger anything less than well done. A little bit of pink considered very unsafe and restaurants are in big trouble if they have anything less than extremely well done burger you don't get a choice haha. Steak yes, but not burger.
    edited June 2020

Haha no worries :). I don't mind discussion.. Even if you are making me hungry.. Lol! Is it dinner time yet? Haha!

On another note! No one in my country (Canada) would eat hamburger anything less than well done. A little bit of pink considered very unsafe and restaurants are in big trouble if they have anything less than extremely well done burger you don't get a choice haha. Steak yes, but not burger.

We're going totally off-topic now haha, but here in Ireland we eat anything. As long as it can be washed down with a nice fresh pint. ;)

We're going totally off-topic now haha, but here in Ireland we eat anything. As long as it can be washed down with a nice fresh pint. ;)

Lol very much so! But I didn't have anything else to say about the Sims at this point without just repeating myself hahaha!

Lol very much so! But I didn't have anything else to say about the Sims at this point without just repeating myself hahaha!
    All in the name of food! Ehrrmmm... Sims!

*Shrug* Okay, but you can use that play-style in the older, better iterations too.

What mods do you use? Because normal gameplay in TS4 without them makes playing out stories frustrating.

@ClarionOfJoy @SimmerGeorge

I think it's absolutely awesome that a player can enjoy a game the way @SimAlexandria does and that they can be content with something for what it is.

The biggest complaint about TS4 is that the sims have no unique characters, and yet somehow it's 'weird but a phenomenon' that people have a unique character in 'real life' because they choose to play a game in a way that suits their life and character and be fully content with it?

I'm flabbergasted.

I didn't ask about that. I'm asking about how they play the game that makes it enjoyable for them. Instead, I always get people who rush in to say "they just do!"

I'm asking because so far, all the things described can be done - and better - in the previous iterations. Plus people can do even more in those.

edited June 2020

*Shrug* Okay, but you can use that play-style in the older, better iterations too.

What mods do you use? Because normal gameplay in TS4 without them makes playing out stories frustrating.

I played the earlier versions, but didn't enjoy it in them. I got bored very easily because they limited what I needed to telll my stories.. I use little mssam foster care mod, and once in awhile MCCC, I turn it on and off about 50% of the time. I also have a 3rd mod to age up friends at the same time.

That being said, I dont 'have all the packs in Sims 3, so I didn't realise the conservationist career and island festivals were in that one (one of my fav things to do in the game of all time and play the most). But overall, the basic game play in 1-3 was boring for me. It was very limiting in what I could do with my sims because they wanted or didn't want to do other things, in Sims 2 there were these horrible cut scenes that I HATED haha, turn offs/turn ons messed up my game play so much, hated those too. I hate building and didn't like the premade buildings, so the lack of gallery made the game very boring for me too as I coudn't have the homes I wanted, the UI and COlour wheels were frustrating, worlds felt emptier... I just don't enjoy playing them anymore

At one point, I did, but.. not the way I do Sims 4. I always got bored of them after 2-3 days and would take a break for a month and then play again for a few days etc. I've gone back to them several times in the past couple years and same resuls, only now I can't play for more than 2 hours without being bored out of my mind with the live mode and needing months break haha!
    Post edited by SimAlexandria on
  • Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 46 Member
    Announcement 2020 release 2022.
    @SimAlexandria

You know you can download custom lots for both Sims 2 and 3 right? You didn't have to deal with the prebuilt houses. I never did.

Also your last part is exactly how I feel about 4 due to the lack of content and a lot of things being cut. It's boring. I want to play a game, to be able to make my worlds the way I want them, to have my sims live their lives and be unique, etc. Sims 4 does not provide that. It's almost like playing with a doll house. Sims 4 is limiting as well, more so than the other games in some ways.

I've played Sims 4 with ALL packs and mods on top of that btw. They truly missed the mark with this one imo and I'm just hoping Sims 5 is better.
    edited June 2020
    Sakia90 wrote: »
    @SimAlexandria

You know you can download custom lots for both Sims 2 and 3 right? You didn't have to deal with the prebuilt houses. I never did.

Also your last part is exactly how I feel about 4 due to the lack of content and a lot of things being cut. It's boring. I want to play a game, to be able to make my worlds the way I want them, to have my sims live their lives and be unique, etc. Sims 4 does not provide that. It's almost like playing with a doll house. Sims 4 is limiting as well, more so than the other games in some ways.

I've played Sims 4 with ALL packs and mods on top of that btw. They truly missed the mark with this one imo and I'm just hoping Sims 5 is better.

The main problem with sims 2 and 3 for me is that the game play was boring for me, so custom houses, well nice, aren't enough to fix the games for me. The gallery is a lot easier, it's right there in game. I HATE playing with any custom content I have to download seperate except for the small handful of mods I listed above (easy to keep up to date when you only have 2 or 3 but downloading and adding stuff to the game is such a pain as you spend so much time looking for stuff instead of just in game playing haha. )

But it's the sims themselves that's most important to me. Sims 4 is not at all limiting for the way I personally play, and Sims 2 and 3 were. Which is why I prefer it and get bored with the other two. A different way of playing definitely would be different. I have all Sims 4 packs except vampires (which I don't want ) and all Sims 2 packs, but only a few packs in SIms 3 (generations and something else, I forget as I don't bother with that game now haha) .

I have tried other mods than the ones I mentioned, I tried meaningful stories and slice of life but I ddin't like them. THey made the sims feel more like the Sims 2/3 sims which I don't like, so I removed the mods from the game again after a week or so of trying them out, as it was no longer fun with them.

I'm not saying Sims 4 is a better game for everyone, but it is for me.