Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too many "fake" houses.

Comments

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I have EL but haven't really played in the new world yet. When I glanced at the picture you posted I thought for a moment that the circled houses were the fake ones because I guess the thought of there being so many fake houses seemed ludicrous... Then I realised the circled houses were the real ones. Wow. Just wow.

So did I. That is a lot of wasted space right there.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • ElDimentioElDimentio Posts: 38 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Is all that neighbourhood space even routable? In other packs they used to make these fake buildings outside of the playable space, but lately they've been building them right under our sim's noses. At least this time is houses and not what looks like shopping streets and fun activities like the golfing course in Newcrest.

My hope/theory is that they're adding these houses in the playable area because they're working on an update to allow us to turn them into playable lots eventually.

It's the only explanation I can think of. Otherwise it's silly to have the playable lots in a neighborhood so far apart from each other with useless lots in between.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Oh thats true! Some districts are too empty and too "ghosty" due to plenty fake houses. Mirage Park in Del Dol Valley is one of the worst areas. We have only 3 too big lots in neighborhood with small empty houses. As I see in EL (I do not have it still) EA has made the same mistake. Whats more, because of fact that some distrists have fake houses which is biult in one style, it is hard to create something different. Some worlds really need to be changed. Especially Del Sol Valley, San Myshuno and Britechester.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,183 Member
    What really irks me is the fact that....You know we're not getting a Create a World tool simply because EA knows that "A new neighborhood" is enough to get 99% of Sims players to buy a new pack just because we're so starved for interesting neighborhoods that some people actually bought Eco Living JUST for the neighborhood itself. Then when we actually get those neighborhoods.....it's like 3-4 lots you can use....so now your thirst for a new neighborhood just gets more severe and the next thing you know you're pre-ordering "Sims 4 Tap Dancing Stuff" because EA puts "Including a new neighborhood" as one of its features the second its announced.

Boy, create a world would be a great feature to have right about now, but unfortunately it'll cut into profits soooooooooo......
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited June 2020
    The zones that we have gotten lately are very big and empty with a lot of fake houses and the lots that are usable are often very far apart from each other. Sims spawn at the end of the map and walk to the other side which makes the world seem so deserted.

I like the smaller zones better like the Spice Market in San Myshuno where sims spawn and walk into the middle area and often gather around there and then the sims do different things like visit the market stalls, play basketball, watch musicians or watch the artwork. The place feels alive.

If they are only gonna have three lots in each neighborhood then at least put them closer together and make the zones smaller with less fake houses and have more sims spawn and gather somewhere. They are spawning and gathering around the voting board but that is so far away from some of the houses.

• NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Ekmidenisi wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the reason is because all the whiny players with crummy computers/laptops complain that the game is laggy enough as it is because although they will spend £400+ on the game, they refuse to spend more than £400 on the laptop that runs it.

So to make the game accessible to these people, they have to tone down the content.

The same as how EA houses are underfurnished to help with loading times

The EA houses are underfurnished so that players actually decorate them and make them their own.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    NoTalent wrote: »

The EA houses are underfurnished so that players actually decorate them and make them their own.

@NoTalent no girl they don't forget toilets and create unplayable areas and broken houses just so "you can make them your own". If it was like that they could release the game with no houses and sims so we can make it "our own"
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    suzanna13 wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings on fake houses. I wish more of them were playable but I also think the neighbourhoods would be pretty bare looking without them. I think what bothers me more is not seeing sims who live in playable houses out in their yards or even on the streets. I am so tired of seeing sims from different "worlds" out jogging in my sims neighbourhood.

☝️ This

It's really sad that I know my neighborhood is alive because I see Sims out jogging and gathering in community areas endlessly BBQing and filling picnic tables with food (sigh) but at the same time I KNOW where some of them live, I know that they have gardens and chairs outside and pools. If you zoom in to a home in free cam (I think) you can see all the furniture inside. It's like the game came so close to having this feature where neighborhood at least we're going to be "open" but they had to disable it. Static furniture is different than objects and Sims having gameplay and animations that need to be processed I guess.

I'm happy that Sims mull about here and there and do stuff within the neighborhoods/world's it does make it feel alive, but the main thing is as the world's get more spread out and filled with fake houses they are actually defeating the purpose and in turn creating ghost towns.

My problem with the whole "sims gathering in community areas" thing is that many Sims from worlds like Glimmerbrook and Sulani seem to gather in the most random places.

What are so many Sulanian Villagers doing in San Myshuno in the middle of summer?

Same goes for Glimmerbrook. I see sages from the magical realm randomly walking around my house in Willow Creek. 🐸🐸🐸🐸?.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The number of usable lots, vs fake ones, needs to be a toggleable thing.

If your game seems laggy, toggle down the number of usable lots, and the others become set dressing, if your pc can handle more, toggle it up, and have a higher percentage of usable lots.

A neighbourhood with 20 lots? On a low setting, 4-5 would be usable. On a mid setting 8 or so would be usable, on a high setting 12-15 could be usable, and on a super high setting, all of them could be used.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    My problem with the whole "sims gathering in community areas" thing is that many Sims from worlds like Glimmerbrook and Sulani seem to gather in the most random places.

What are so many Sulanian Villagers doing in San Myshuno in the middle of summer?

Same goes for Glimmerbrook. I see sages from the magical realm randomly walking around my house in Willow Creek. 🌺🌺🌺🌺?.

Yeah 100% agree. They need to revamp the townies/sims in community lots system. There needs to be more of a focus on spawning sims who are actually from that world, and more of a focus on spawning the sims already in the game rather than creating townies. Ie when I'm in Willow Creek I want to see Eliza and Bob at the park, not Glimmerbrook spellcasters and sulani townies
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited June 2020
    That’s annoying. Not to mention, if you want to build something that looks different than the rest of the neighborhood, it will look out of place.
    Lots of sims who don’t even live there jog or walk through the neighborhood. How about neighbors who hang out in their yards ? Walk their dog (I see sims on bikes in every world but I never see sims walking their dog, except in Brindleton Bay maybe) ? Take their trash out ? Sit on a bench and watch people walk by ? I etc etc to make the neighborhood more alive ?
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    My opinion would change quite immensely if a lot of these fake houses and structures (especially things like businesses and town halls) served a rabbit hole-type function as they do in TS3. We have malls, government offices, military bases (which make no sense as to why they're useless, since we have a military career with Strangerville), restaurants, gas stations--all serving no function other than being decorative. Even structures major to a game's region, and by my interpretation, major landmarks/tourist spots, such as the covered bridge in Brindeton Bay are inaccessible and unusable.

However, again, I'm very curious as to how the land these "shell buildings" as I call them are treated in the code. Many of the shell and rabbit hole structures that exist in the game and are completely useless otherwise do show up in Build Buy when bb.showhidden objects and bb.liveeditobjects are active. So, could the lots these shell buildings sit on be a special lot type we can't use?
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Is all that neighbourhood space even routable? In other packs they used to make these fake buildings outside of the playable space, but lately they've been building them right under our sim's noses. At least this time is houses and not what looks like shopping streets and fun activities like the golfing course in Newcrest.

Which is part of the reason not being able to use those lots is so annoying. Grocery shopping (even if a rabbit hole) is something quite a few people have been asking for; and I can see being quite handy for ingredients in recipes instead of growing them. Many of the worlds have many types of shops, and Oasis Springs has what appears to be a mall. Simply giving some of those buildings rabbit hole functionality would allow that.

Golf would be pretty fun to do with Sims; since we already have soccer and basketball.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I have mixed feeling about empty houses. In sulani they work well but in evergreen harbour, newcrest and del sol valley it feels you have to build lots to match the world which I don’t like. Specifically for evergreen harbour and del sol valley they feel quite empty neighbourhoods too. I prefer ones like glimmerbrook where you can build what you want. Also I use a low end laptop to play the game and have no issue major issues with lag so for me the limited lots in worlds is not an issue.
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I thought the ones you drew circles around were the fakes, and i thought to myself "that is not a lot!" but i see i was wrong. I have no opinion about it really as i dont play the game enough to notice, but i am planning on getting more packs which means more worlds. I can then see for myself how i feel about these fake houses, but reading through the posts makes me see why it can be annoying.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I totally agree. I don't understand creating a game engine that can't handle more lots in a neighborhood. It's not like this game is brand new. And, the more I'm hearing about EL, the happier I am that I saved the $40.00.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    The fake lots annoy me when I'm building I might want to smash a whole neighbourhood and turn it into a neolithic neighbourhood. Or I might want to go the other end and be futuristic, or modern instead of victorian. In game I get annoyed with the park lots behind some of the neighbourhoods in Willow Creek and in Newcrest. What is the point of having a picnic area with nothing in it to do? I get that the skating rinks can be spawned there and that's good, but it's not like we got festivals with Seasons where Spookyfest could pop up. In short they seem like a waste of space. I get coding can be difficult but coming at it from the players eye perspective we see the space and think why couldn't that have been a real house? It doesn't compute to someone like me who has no coding experience that the space doesn't exist. I can plainly see it so it does! I think that's the problem between explainging the coding and explaining the space...there is no middle ground, it's just never going to compute that Port Promise is just a few lines of code floating around in nowhereness, when it's plainly there and half empty on the screen. (Does that even make sense?)
  • Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    The base game worlds have so many lots on one street and so does Windenburg which makes it feel really cool because townies move in and then you see your neighbours waking past. Also, I’ve never understood why you always see Nancy Landgrabb jogging in Willow Creek. Like how far does she run to be in whole other world?! 😂😂
    Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 371 Member
    Instead of fake houses that we can't edit why not have the lots as commercial lots that our sims can visit and shop, search for items to recycle visit that we can edit or leave as if they work in our favour
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited June 2020
    yeah i want the fake houses gone 100%

because it just restricts creativity like the build style never aligns with what i want to build in the world so it looks dumb

and then also they put the lots we have so far apart you can't even have your sims be neighbors or anything just random house there and there

like can't I just have world where i can build my own style of world without fake house annoyance?

is it really so hard to skip adding decorative houses? or at least let me toggle them hidden from view?

with big cities like myshuno i understand it needs to be there to make it "city" but literally every other world? eh?
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Oh I like that idea! Imagine if they made these building shells functional rabbit holes. We could have all kinds of shops, services, etc. It would make the worlds feel so much more open and useful, even if our sims are disappearing.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I enjoy the wide open parks, but I could do without all of the empty houses. I just ignore them and create a neighborhood that looks the way I feel like having it look. I would love to be able to actually use all of those lots.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    TS2 downtown had fake buildings used in the right way.
    They were mostly to one side of the map, and acted as a backdrop, while the rest of the map had plenty of lots you could use.

20050824-tmail1.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    Movotti wrote: »
    TS2 downtown had fake buildings used in the right way.
    They were mostly to one side of the map, and acted as a backdrop, while the rest of the map had plenty of lots you could use.

20050824-tmail1.jpg

Oh the big customizable neighbourhoods...