Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ts4 destroyed my ability to enjoy ts2

I wonder if this happens to anyone else. I launched TS2 today (mac super collection) played for a short while and got frustrated and closed it. Going to a community lot Down town is a drag, pick up the phone wait for the taxi then two loading screens. When you come back the time is all messed up. Getting a job promotion requires keeping up with friendships ... it is rather illogical and irritating ! And CAS omg without CC there are like 5 clothes for kids lol. Building and placing items is rage inducing. Yea ts4 has a lot of problem but it has made some significant improvements too. It makes gameplay very streamlined (sometimes way too much though) CAS and BB items are amazing. Building is super fun. We just need some long term gameplay like harder aspirations (This is where ts2 shines) and Ts3 real estates system to spend your money. Hopefully the sims team is listening to us and make ts4 an amazing game it is meant to be.

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited June 2020
    I enjoy S2, but it definitely isn't without it's problems especially when later games come along. Took me awhile when I first played it to get use to the time just freezing on one lot while progressing in another for sure. Not really a big variety of build/buy items that matched too well either or good hairs even with the hair physics.

So, not a big amount of choices and still have old bugs that just neer got fixed but that's no surprise it is the Sims franchise, derp. It just didn't age very well though probably a little better than some of them now.

Probably because they focused more so on how sims interact with their environment more than anything. :)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Every time I open my Mac App Store, I’m tempted to download TS2. I don’t really remember much about the game but the Headmaster private school thing. I think I liked the carpool vehicles too.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2020
    Well it is from 2004. It is starting to age but that's normal. For its time it was revolutionary (unlike other Sims games hehe)
    But since it is 16 years old now there are frustrating things about it that technology was not able to deal with at the time.

I can personally still enjoy it. I have almost as many hours in the Sims 2 as in the Sims 4 but it takes some getting used to.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I love sims 2 and i really wanna play it again, but having to install all kinds of mods and constantly remember to not do certain things/use certain features so the game won’t corrupt is tiring :c

I would be so happy if they could add some of the sims 2 features to sims 4
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I loved TS2 when it was current. There is no way whatsoever that I want to go back to it now though. The graphics are horrible, I thought they were amazing at the time and even though the game is better in some ways it's also not better in some ways.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited June 2020
    I was excited to play The Sims 2 (I'm relatively new to the franchise, so I'd never played it before, but I knew lots of people had fond memories of it.)

I love playing vampires, so the first thing I did was get my Sim and her bf bitten. Then I realized how brutal the game is to vampires. I had to use cheats just to keep them alive and not lose their jobs. The brief seconds of being in the car and driving off to work was enough to make their mood so lousy they would get demoted or fired. :(

I also wish the game didn't force you to choose romantic preferences. I have a couple characters who are not interested in romance, period.

I missed emotions, too. I wish TS4 and TS2 would combine their systems somehow--something with more variety than a good, neutral, or bad mood but also some kind of TS2-type scale so a Sim with +3 Happy moodlets and +3 Angry Moodlets doesn't go from bliss to rage and back again when they walk by an angry painting. ^_^;;
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I never played occultS prior to ts4. Dont particularly like them but ts4 vampires is amazing :)
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I always thought Sims 2 had the best emotions because I could do something and drama would happen. I mean I can accidentally get that in Sims 4 but not so much.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I feel this way but with another franchise. The new installment has some really good features that make it hard to go back to the older games even though they were in return better in some areas! I was kinda annoyed with some things in ts2 after going back to it but after keeping with it i got into it really fast. I dont play it as much for some reason but once i open it up i dont feel like closing it back!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited June 2020
    Yes! I used to play it, I know I did, never as much as Sims 4 but I remember enjoying it. I've tried to go back to it 3 or 4 times in the past couple years but after Sims 4 I just can't have fun with SIms 2 anymore. THe UI is terrible, the art style is terrible, and the game play is boring for me, I hate the cut scenes... I lose interest so fast and just want to close it and get back to my sims 4 families haha

But...
    I do think Sims 2 had the best animations between two sims. I LOVE the way the kids dance on parents feet and just in general the movements seem more natural and realistic to me. Sims 4, to me, is by far the superior game but Sims 2 easily beats it in animation, it's just not enough to make the game itself enjoyable for me.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I didn't know TS2 was on the app store. Ohmygod...dreams do come true if you believe.
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I do think Sims 2 had the best animations between two sims. I LOVE the way the kids dance on parents feet and just in general the movements seem more natural and realistic to me. Sims 4, to me, is by far the superior game but Sims 2 easily beats it in animation, it's just not enough to make the game itself enjoyable for me.

I completely forgot about kids being able to dance on their parents feet! That was so cute.

And i completely agree with you on the animations :D Sims 2 has some amazing animation
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    What i like about sims 2 is the personality. Sims had a bunch of features that gave them unique personalities. If this was implemented in sims 4 i would say it's perfect. As it is now it's also superior to sims 2 anyway imho.
    edited June 2020
    @Sharonia why do you think the graphics are terrible? I'm curious cause I think they are pretty okay, not great but fine.
    Are you playing the game in HD resolution with maxed out smooth edges?

Also you may not like the game but I think we should appreciate it 'cause pretty much all the ideas for the newer Sims games came from that.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I really believe the reason the team aims for new and modern players is because the people who started with 1 on up is stuck in nostalgia.
    I'm not denying how amazing certain aspects were like the complete well done animations and personalities but people flat out refuse to mention the flaws. And let's be honest there are a lot of things ts4 does better than the older games.

I go between sims 3 and 4 both have things to love and hate but ts4 does not get enough credit for the things it does well. So well I spend more time playing ts4. They only trash it, talk about the flaws and highlight the best parts of the older games.

That's why I look at them all very objectively. They all have flaws and highlights. And no one is wrong for loving whichever game they choose.
    But very interesting to hear your opinion after going back 🤗
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited June 2020
    @Babykittyjade I think it's just that the fanbase has changed. People back in the Sims 2 times wanted a game with in-depth gameplay that keeps them playing. The packs were not focused as much on creating a perfect experience. It was more about giving you tools to make your own stories.

With the Sims 4 many new people have started playing the game and they seem to be more satisfied with the game having good visuals and just many features to explore rather than tools to make your own decisions. It's more of a casual way to play and that's just a sign of the times.

But when you see so many veteran players being dissatisfied with the game maybe there's something more there than just nostalgia :/
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Yeah, I feel like it's hard to go between games. I stuck with 3 for so long and it took me years to move to 4, but now that I've started playing 4 I can't go back to 3 as I just notice all the little differences and issues that I didn't really pay attention to back then. You get used to how the different game works and then when you try to change to a different installment its like woah! this is weird.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited June 2020
    @Babykittyjade I think it's just that the fanbase has changed. People back in the Sims 2 times wanted a game with in-depth gameplay that keeps them playing. The packs were not focused as much on creating a perfect experience. It was more about giving you tools to make your own stories.

With the Sims 4 many new people have started playing the game and they seem to be more satisfied with the game having good visuals and just many features to explore rather than tools to make your own decisions. It's more of a casual way to play and that's just a sign of the times.

But when you see so many veteran players being dissatisfied with the game maybe there's something more there than just nostalgia :/

I've played since Sims 1 and I'm a writer, who plays to create stories and the reason Sims 4 is my favourite by far is that it's the only one that really allows me to do so. It really just depends on personal playstyle. Sims 2 I can't create the stories I want, personalities are too strong and get in the way, creating a really boring/frustrating live mode for me (which is my fav mode hahaha).

Sims 2 I used to like, yes, but I'd play for 2-3 days, get bored and take 3 months off, kinda thing.. Sims 4 I can play continuously and get really involved in the storeis and play for years without getting bored of the stories I'm telling.
    edited June 2020
    @SimAlexandria of course there are exceptions but that is really not my point. Most people on the Sims 4 forums like the game that's how it goes. Look further than that and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you are a veteran player that likes the Sims 4 the most you are the exception that proves the rule.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It did for me too. I loved TS2 and played it vanilla in the beginning and with many mods and lots of cc near the end. When I try to go back usually because of nostalgia. It's really just to look around to remake the main characters in TS4. I just don't enjoy many aspects of 2 anymore. The sims are much and needier and basically I have to work or romance and move in sim to kill off to get the money to live somewhat well (something I did a lot of before) it's what made me enjoy playing in a deviant manner.

I never enjoyed playing any occults in 2 also not even the Smiths.. but it's either grown on me in this iteration, I like how it works better or something shifted. It might be just that I was open to playing them this time. I didn't like playing witches in 2 though.. I remember that.

I also know people rave about the wants and needs but I always modded in a bunch of locks because it didn't enhance my gameplay. I didn't want aspiration failure hanging over my sims head as a motivation although I can see how it drives game play for some. Just not for me and I'm glad it's not part of 4.

Then there are just a bunch of things I can do in 4 that I can't in 2 like not have to use enchancement or game changing mods, not have to use CC. Lot's of gameplay changes in general to that make it easier to do things like building, household management and more.

I do miss some things in 2 and wish they would be in 4. Couple dancing.. the kid/parent dance, a crawling stage. Cars in the driveway, the burglar... many things like that though.. but it can't hold me to playing it now.
    egTcBMc.png
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I didn’t even know it was on the App Store!! Good to know.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Every time I open my Mac App Store, I’m tempted to download TS2. I don’t really remember much about the game but the Headmaster private school thing. I think I liked the carpool vehicles too.

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    @Sharonia why do you think the graphics are terrible? I'm curious cause I think they are pretty okay, not great but fine.
    Are you playing the game in HD resolution with maxed out smooth edges?

Also you may not like the game but I think we should appreciate it 'cause pretty much all the ideas for the newer Sims games came from that.

I didn't say that I didn't like it. I was obsessed with it when it was the current game. It's just dated now and I've moved on. I will always have very fond memories of TS2.