Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like the option to Paint the Ceilings? Yea or Nay?

CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
edited June 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
If you have no interest in reading the essay below, I feel you. Please skip and go on ahead and vote in the poll. I’m sure you know what I’m getting at and that you know what you’re voting for.

Are the white ceilings a Build Breaker? For me the answer is a profound and resounding YES.

After 6 years I feel my builds are still incomplete.

Yes there is awesome wallpaper, flooring, roofs, glass roofs, stairs, ladders, columns, basic coloured doors, pools etc…but one thing that’s still giving me the UUURPP moodlet….are those glaring white ceilings.

Many of you may not even notice the ceilings -good for you- but I believe there are plenty of builders and storytellers among the sim4 community that agree at some level that the white overhead ‘things’ in their builds do not make sense whatsoever, when using full Camera mode, First Person View, All Walls Up, or whichever way you would like to look at it. The ceiling that is.

Why extra bothered? Because of Jungle adventures. What does Jungle Adventures have to do with those white ceilings?

Well, IF you have Jungle adventures installed, I suggest you to take a vacation and rent a holiday home in the humid land of Selvadorada, stock up on a decent amount of Machetes at the Puerto Llamante, travel to the Belomisia trailhead and start to work your way through the tangled thicket of the jungle (and the entire bundle of machetes) until you find yourself face to face with an impressive ancient construction called the ‘Omiscan Temple’.
Go ahead, wander around the temple in say, First Person. Look up before you get too dizzy. What do you see? Exactly. Zero White ceilings. Instead, the ceilings are covered with shimmering ancient Omiscan stone blocks. I can almost smell the moist rock…

What was the reasoning behind colouring the ceilings in this particular location? For the player to feel completely immersed in the adventure...of course.

So why am I not allowed to feel just as immersed while having a rest in the wooden tree hut I spent hours breaking my back over, just to satisfy the little sim brats. I’m glad I have Spa Day installed because I need a massage. Just close the weary eyes and don’t look at the ceiling. Why can’t I enter the old family barn and look up at the spiderwebs dangling from the rotten FLOORBOARDS from the room upstairs? Instead I shrink away from the horrifying blinding white monstrosity that calls itself a ceiling…

Providing this kind of immersion for one building and not others is an inconsistency in design and aesthetics. Obviously it can be done.

Would you like the option to paint the ceilings of your builds for the effect of...well...immersion and completeness?

Would you like the option to Paint the Ceilings? Yea or Nay? 304 votes

Yea.(yes)
78%
Akl500PBluegayleCK213Mistletoe143GoldmoldaricmnfrshLeGardePourpresketchesOolonglongCabelle1863BlkBarbiegalAllearslisamwittCamkatGoodywoodMsMayxMintMonaSolstraaleKelleygirlTheSpotted_C 238 votes
Nay.(no)
5%
Erja888overonPlayerSinger2010AuroraBoreallisCinebarcmbaker16crashdodgerspajamajam07DoloresGreyVioletRedHearts4uMeadowThayerrsinnyonceNorthDakotaGamerLady_BalloraAuroraskiesorenjiAiFrogeems 18 votes
Yawn. (What? Ceilings?)
15%
crocobauraKita5399Ayradyssdanacnbrettbabajayneelanorbretonsimgirl1010friendlysimmersLA_sports_girl87KhrisstyneAPottswormstache999annaliese39OnverserLatinaBunnyadduapinaBlueOvaleStrawberryYogurtBlueR0secomicsforlife 48 votes

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited June 2020
    Yea.(yes)
    Yes!! I wouldn’t use it all the time, but as you said sometimes it’s better for immersion.

For instance I built a shipping container home with several containers on top of one another, and while the sides and top of said containers look like metal, it’s all white underneath, which is very annoying as you can see it from under.

Another example : Doesn’t Judith Ward’s mansion look odd with plain white ceilings instead of fancy moldings ?

PS : Have you watched Lilsimsie’s video on it ?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Yawn. (What? Ceilings?)
    I use TS4 camera and rarely see them. :joy: For me at least, white ceilings make sense in a normal building, but I suppose they don't look too nice if you want to build a cellar or something rustic made of logs.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    @Dianesims wrote: »
    Yes!! I wouldn’t use it all the time, but as you said sometimes it’s better for immersion.

For instance I built a shipping container home with several containers on top of one another, and while the sides and top of said containers look like metal, it’s all white underneath, which is very annoying as you can see it from under.

Another example : Doesn’t Judith Ward’s mansion look odd with plain white ceilings instead of fancy moldings ?

PS : Have you watched Lilsimsie’s video on it ?

Absolutely. To think a container can’t have a metal ceiling or a mansion can’t have moldings is beyond my comprehension. It also limits camera angles when doing screen captures.

I haven’t seen Lilsimsie’s video yet. Will definitely check it out. ;)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yawn. (What? Ceilings?)
    This would be of no use to me.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    I'm not sure that it's an option I'd use much, since I generally use the ts4 camera and I think of white ceilings in a house as normal (it diffuses and reflects the light around the room better) but I do regularly switch to the ts3 camera for screenshots, so having that extra tool in the toolbox for when I do need the ceiling to be something else (or for the undersides of eves) would be very welcome.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    Absolutely! As someone who builds a lot of buildings inspired by older architectural styles and strange builds where a bland, white ceiling looks just plain wrong. White ceilings are fine for plain, modern builds, but they aren't for the vast majority of mine. We got complex things like bendable stairs and terrain tools, but we still don't have paintable ceilings. It's time to stop the madness and give up the goods already!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    There needs to be an ability to put exposed beams on ceilings, also.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Yea.(yes)
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Yawn. (What? Ceilings?)
    I don't even pay attention to the ceilings! LOL.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Yawn. (What? Ceilings?)
    Well, the way you phrased the option in the poll is rather off-putting, but I chose what I did in hopes of going with the most 'neutral' response.

All in all, I think it's a good idea. It would certainly be nice for those who pay attention to and care about their ceilings. Myself, I'm not really that worried about them. I have one or two houses where yes, I notice some glaring white (usually more around the edges of the roof) that I'd love to hide, but it's not a really big concern. So in general, I'd say yes, but then again, everything has an 'opportunity cost.' If you spend time implementing ceiling paint, you don't spend that time on something else. There are certainly other things I'd like to see more. But hopefully it wouldn't take too much effort. (No idea.)
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    Yawn. (What? Ceilings?)
    I don't always notice the ceiling. And it's not really a big deal about it being white, to me.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    That would be so neat.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    I would like a few different plaster options, and some different wood options, and some pressed metal options.

Pressed metal is pretty posh
    PressedTinPanels_Shield_Ceiling_White_ThorntonBlake-Thumbnail.jpg

And this straw stuff was pretty popular in the 70's
    IMG_1029.jpg

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    Not a top priority for me but the more customization options the better.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited June 2020
    Yea.(yes)
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Not a top priority for me but the more customization options the better.

Same. It never really shows unless you are in first person mode or are taking screenshots. I still want it though, even if we only have basic colour swatch options.
    banner.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    I would like to be able to choose between a white ceiling or a wood ceiling
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    Yes yes yes. It ruins so many great screenshots when a white ceiling is inappropriate. Also builds with balconies and outcropping parts need the ceiling paint as white undersides on everything ruin how they look in game.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    I feel like I would forget to use this feature... I never used it in TS3... but I do want it. I know it's really important for a lot of people and I want them to have it. It doesn't seem like it should be a thing that hard to implement since they seem to have done it for JA.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • daydreamsdaydreams Posts: 121 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    I admit I was about to say I didn’t care, but after reading your essay I am convinced. I don’t have JA installed but I can only imagine the immersion and what beauty can come out of a feature like this.

Now that I think about it, decorating the ceiling is a dream of mine—or should I say, my teenage sims. I’m sure they’d love a boyband poster staring back at them when they fall asleep.
    “And he smiled a smile to shame the sun.”
    aH6O0kG.gif
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    Yawn. (What? Ceilings?)
    i never use that feature in sims3 and see no ceilings in sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Nay.(no)
    I liked that we could customize them like pretty much everything else in TS3. I also love "wooden" eaves in real homes and dark ceilings in industrial interiors. But tilting the camera to paint faux ceiling borders brought me such unbelievable stress back then. It's something that I don't want to ever experience that again, so I'll pass!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    It would be really great for screenshots. Usually I don't notice since I'm not a builder and rarely have my camera angled like that.. but when it is tilted up ... the white can be really out of place depending on the build.
    egTcBMc.png
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    I remember building a mansion for this show I was making, and that's when I realized that ceilings existed but weren't paintable. It would've been nice for my screenshots if customization was available
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Yawn. (What? Ceilings?)

If they come, they come. i will barely use this feature (just like terrain tool).
    If it doenst come i dont really mind, since most of the time i dont even see or bother with it.

(I really think at this point they will come... lilsimsie GameChanger speaks about this issue all the time and gives feedback to it)
    EA tends to listen to them or when it comes to general build/buy improvements + additions... I mean we just got ladders.)
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Yea.(yes)
    It's not a huge priority for me (and in a bunch of builds the white is just fine) but it would definitely be a great addition that would make screenshots nicer and easier to take if we didn't have to fuss with angling the camera to avoid them.