Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I am starting to really love this guy...

https://youtu.be/zk06dk_G8bI

He has made amazing videos lately, and this one....I agree whole heartingly.

Comments

• SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Carl is always on point!
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Carl is always on point!

HE is! I wish more people was like him.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Literally watching it right now xd
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I only recently discovered his videos. I've always used his guides on his website when I started playing sims a few years ago, so it was a pleasant surprise when I found him on youtube.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    He's not wrong.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    Camkat wrote: »
    He's not wrong.

He is indeed not, he is spitting out truth.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Lack of long-term goals is one of my biggest issues with this game, and why I'm so entirely reliant on user-made challenges to feel like playing a single family is worth while.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2020
    Camkat wrote: »
    He's not wrong.

I agree as it seems I only got an few hours of enjoyment but then the fun dies down. For me the ability to change the format of neighborhoods gives more options that an static neighborhood can't, sure one can change an house and put an new one in it's place or alter the lot layout but all in all it is still the same neighborhood and you cannot even change the lot dimension.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited June 2020
    Yup! This is one of my biggest complaints about the game. Everything can be achieved super quickly, solved with a tea, ice cream, or nice painting, or purchased from the rewards store. It would be cool if different traits unlocked completely different gameplay, providing a unique path for different types of Sims. There should be several branches of every skill. For example, not every level 10 chef should be a genius at every single food on the menu. Maybe they specialize in sushi or Italian so have a special chef path of goals and interests to follow based around that food type. Not every level 10 fitness Sim wants to be a bodybuilder or pro athlete. Maybe one runs marathons or is a gym teacher. Currently, the options are rather limited and every option is readily available to every Sim so you can blow through the game very quickly.

It also irks me that there’s literally nothing to spend money on. University is like 47 bucks and “expensive” items are just reskinned cheap items—like you can have a pricey computer that does the exact same thing as the cheap computer. It’s not like money will buy you a helicopter or a wine collection or unlock a new skill or some kind of brand new gameplay. Why even have money in the game other than to build a super dumb house?

There’s no real incentives or goals to reach for.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited June 2020
    I think the Eco Innovator Aspiration sums this up pretty well.

Milestone I: Eco-Economist
    Own 1 Solar Panel or Wind Turbine (100) Unless you do a rags to riches challenge...done in 5 seconds.
    Sell Power or Water on a Utility Bill (100) Just gather some water or power and sell the first change you get, done in 5 minutes.

Milestone II: Clean City Civilian
    Have 5 Community Influence Points (200) Just talk to some random sims and you will get more than enough influence points.
    Vote on 1 Neighborhood Action Plan (200) Done in 5 seconds if the action plan is active.
    Become a Civil Designer (250) Done in 5 seconds...just open up your phone and you are done...shouldn't this be in the first milestone?

Milestone III: Civil Citizen
    Attempt to Convince a Sim to Vote on a Neighborhood Action Plan (350) Just befriend a sim and done, super easy.
    Vote on Neighborhood Action Plans two separate times (500) ...you are really running out of ideas aren't you? this is literally the same goal.
    Reach level 10 of the Civil Designer Career (1000) ...not even trying anymore. You are supposed to make it fun to reach level 10, not just tell us to "reach level 10" as a goal.
  • EvilinPinkEvilinPink Posts: 49 Member
    Spitting facts
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Yup! This is one of my biggest complaints about the game. Everything can be achieved super quickly, solved with a tea, ice cream, or nice painting, or purchased from the rewards store. It would be cool if different traits unlocked completely different gameplay, providing a unique path for different types of Sims. There should be several branches of every skill. For example, not every level 10 chef should be a genius at every single food on the menu. Maybe they specialize in sushi or Italian so have a special chef path of goals and interests to follow based around that food type. Not every level 10 fitness Sim wants to be a bodybuilder or pro athlete. Maybe one runs marathons or is a gym teacher. Currently, the options are rather limited and every option is readily available to every Sim so you can blow through the game very quickly.

It also irks me that there’s literally nothing to spend money on. University is like 47 bucks and “expensive” items are just reskinned cheap items—like you can have a pricey computer that does the exact same thing as the cheap computer. It’s not like money will buy you a helicopter or a wine collection or unlock a new skill or some kind of brand new gameplay. Why even have money in the game other than to build a super dumb house?

There’s no real incentives or goals to reach for.

Simgurus, this ^^
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I basically give my game longevity by making sure the aspiration and career don't match unless they have to, and assigning hobbies & clubs, creating social lives and the need to maintain family relationships, and adopting pets and having children early to slow down their progress. This means that many of my sims don't max their careers or aspirations until well into the adult stage, while their children are just starting out. But this definitely is due to a lot of the way I choose to play over the way the game is programmed. No aspiration or career would truly be difficult if my choices didn't actively interfere with those goals on a regular basis.
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I use carls guides a lot. I didnt know he makes vids now, too!
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited June 2020
    6:06 to 6:20 is where hysteria became my death. I'm now a ghost.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    You see, it’s very, very easy to sit back, drink a coffee, and complain that the Sims 4 lacks depth and has next to no longevity for your Sims. The issue alongside all this is that no one offers any decent alternatives. No one is sitting down and saying what needs to be done, not even Carl. He simply moaned about the Sims having nothing to do beyond the first hour.

I’m not saying that he’s wrong, I’m just saying that he’s complaining for the sake of complaining – complaining without offering feedback. But offering feedback and proposing change is much harder than just stating that something’s wrong.

Money is the biggest issue in the Sims 4. It’s such an easy thing to acquire without zero effort, zero risk. If you want a job, you got one. There is no interview process, no chance of rejection. Imagine if you were rejected for various jobs and had to work as a barista? What if you were put on unpaid leave with no warning as the company dealt with some issues? What if the company you for closed and you were out of work? Money is guaranteed, the amount is not.

Another issue is that items in the game are super cheap, especially with Eco Living. There’s also no money sinks.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    fmil wrote: »
    I use carls guides a lot. I didnt know he makes vids now, too!

So do i
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I like Sims 4 but currently I've fine back k to Sims 3 and I am working on rebuilding a world I had made.

I do wish Sims 4 kept my interest more than just a couple hours here and there. In a lot of ways it is better than Sims 3 but I just don't get quiet as bored so easily with other Sim games as I do this one.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • S3bSterS3bSter Posts: 32 Member
    Having a look at this and did understand some of the points raised.

Some key things to mention:

1) I play on the PS4
    2) I play with no cheats
    3) I currently have 1 expansion pack installed (City Living)
    4) I have 4 active households that I rotate with

Having taken a break from Sims 2 and moved straight into Sims 4. I have no solid gameplay from Sims3. Just what i have seen and watched. I have played Sims 4 for 6 months.

I agree with the following:

Career aspirations are very poor
    I am playing with 6 -7 members and the following developments are similar to the promotion requirements.
    Level up to 3 Charisma etc
    However, Im creating my own story by doing a self rag to riches to long out the house essentials and freedom to build.
    They go to their friends to build skills and relationships while trying to develop.

I recall in the older Sims, where you had to do activities and get a result.
    E.g
    Make 3-4 people have happy moods when playing a song. (E.g you need to be skill level 5 but you don't know that). By skilling up, you learn that your music sounds better. Surely, real life, that sounds good. I like this.

What I feel the Sims team needs to do is branch out the aspirations away from the relevant career. And avoid repeating. E.g Level 3 then Level 6. Its the same old but its repeated for several skills.

Mix it up by adding "master the karaoke machine and receive happy moods for 3 songs straight from different genres"
    Or
    "Raise two children with B grades or above and support to get a full time job before they reach Adult stage"

These are realistic but achievable goals which require some effort. Especially for tier 3/4.
    Tier 1 should be simple. Tier 2 a bit more challenging but doesn't require money. Just time building.

This makes you focus on one / two live households and enjoy the time spent with them.
    I rotate across 4 hholds with 6-7 characters to keep my engagement up.

What do you think?
    Senior players?
    Newcomers to SiMS?
    NoTalent wrote: »
    You see, it’s very, very easy to sit back, drink a coffee, and complain that the Sims 4 lacks depth and has next to no longevity for your Sims. The issue alongside all this is that no one offers any decent alternatives. No one is sitting down and saying what needs to be done, not even Carl. He simply moaned about the Sims having nothing to do beyond the first hour.

I’m not saying that he’s wrong, I’m just saying that he’s complaining for the sake of complaining – complaining without offering feedback. But offering feedback and proposing change is much harder than just stating that something’s wrong.

Money is the biggest issue in the Sims 4. It’s such an easy thing to acquire without zero effort, zero risk. If you want a job, you got one. There is no interview process, no chance of rejection. Imagine if you were rejected for various jobs and had to work as a barista? What if you were put on unpaid leave with no warning as the company dealt with some issues? What if the company you for closed and you were out of work? Money is guaranteed, the amount is not.

Another issue is that items in the game are super cheap, especially with Eco Living. There’s also no money sinks.

....why do people think when people offers valid criticisms they are complaining for the sake of complaining...SMH
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I've never watched any of his videos. I do use his guides sometimes though. I will give this a watch later when I have more time.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Yeah all his videos are so good and reflect the sims community thoughts to the exact detail. I hope the devs get some inspiration from his viodeos.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    NoTalent wrote: »

Did you watch the same video I did? Or did you not watch the whole thing? He wasn't just complaining without solution, he gave a solution. He specifically stated that the game needs longevity in goals. He gave Sims 3 Lifetime Wishes as an example. Something to work towards, like a lifetime Aspiration (much like Sims 2 had). He even said the problem was how quickly and easy new content is to blow through in an hour. He was very constructive, as usual.

I would add to his feedback that not only do we need long term efforts and lifelong goals for Sims, but we also need a return to proper Sim reactions to failure. We need need Sims to get upset when those goals aren't being met, like they used to. In real life, people make plans for their future and get discouraged and go through phases of anxiety and/or depression or have occasional meltdowns when challenges get overwhelming. This was done satirically in Sims 2 and made the game fun and engaging to play, as well as relatable in a humorous way. Whims and Fears played a huge part in a Sim's personal lifetime Aspiration and we need a similar system to return in Sims 4 because without it, the game gets boring too quickly and even EPs can't carry player interest for very long.
    #Team Occult
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    His view matches mine and I guess many simmers’. I would really like to talk to someone who really disagreeS with this view. Just curious. There must be a reason why ts4 is designed like this. There must be many people who absolutely love this direction....
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    His view matches mine and I guess many simmers’. I would really like to talk to someone who really disagreeS with this view. Just curious. There must be a reason why ts4 is designed like this. There must be many people who absolutely love this direction....

Its because it was originally supposed to be online so its a dumbed down version of sims to keep it simple. But they decided to cut the online and kept it simple...for 6 years....
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.