January 15 - Is everyone ready for the Friday Highlights? Check them out here.
Welcome to all new Simmers joining us over the holiday season! 🎉 Have fun on the forum and please make sure you check out the forum rules and
the rules about necroposting.
December 22 - It's the time of year again: Join the 12 Days of Simsmas! 🎄

Sims 4 is on Steam

13...Next

Comments

  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 11,169 Member
    edited June 2020
    The Sims 2 -> Play to the game (EADM only to install the game)
    The Sims 3 -> Log in (Steam or Origin) -> Play to the game
    The Sims 4 -> Log in (Steam) -> Log in (Origin) -> Play to the game

    What next ?

    The Sims 5 -> Log in (GeForce Now) -> Log in (Steam) -> Log in (Origin) -> Play to the game ???
  • charlesbergcharlesberg Posts: 88 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    fmil wrote: »
    I own lots of games on steam while the sims is the only thing i have on origin so having everything on one place would be nice, but now you guys are saying they need us to open both of them to play the game on steam?! Like why?! I dont see the point on getting them on steam if you have to download origin anyway. I bought most of my ts3 packs from steam and they offer good discounts for it alot but i dont know if they gonna do the same in this instance. I am staying with origin for now.

    Mo'Money honey.
    xD But no in all seriousness, I really don't see a point unless you really like steam and wanna get away from Origin, but it does seem a bit....pointless.

    That's the thing though, you don't get away from Origin. When you launch the game on steam it opens origin... so... really no point.

    I guess there's some cards on steam to collect but yeah...

    That's pretty typical for Valve. A lot of purchases via Steam then require an install of other proprietary clients, like Origin or UPlay. I think it's really gone downhill over the last decade, and is bloated with microtransactions and various social media elements. At this point I would rank the DRM storefronts as follows:

    1. GOG Galaxy
    2. Origin
    3. UPlay
    4. Steam

    If you've got the game on Origin I have no idea why you'd purchase it again from Valve just to get some virtual junk.

    While I agree it has become a problem, it's not Valve at fault for forcing 3rd-party, it's those publishing it. Ubisoft and now EA being the most notable publishers doing it.
    Signature here. No here. Never-mind.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 13,835 Member
    I might get it for steam achievements if it has it
    ^ I'd love to know this as well. Console has achievements separate from save files (the way it should be).

    Formerly known as Simasaurus09

    i7-7700K • 16GB • GTX 1070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,496 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    fmil wrote: »
    I own lots of games on steam while the sims is the only thing i have on origin so having everything on one place would be nice, but now you guys are saying they need us to open both of them to play the game on steam?! Like why?! I dont see the point on getting them on steam if you have to download origin anyway. I bought most of my ts3 packs from steam and they offer good discounts for it alot but i dont know if they gonna do the same in this instance. I am staying with origin for now.

    Mo'Money honey.
    xD But no in all seriousness, I really don't see a point unless you really like steam and wanna get away from Origin, but it does seem a bit....pointless.

    That's the thing though, you don't get away from Origin. When you launch the game on steam it opens origin... so... really no point.

    I guess there's some cards on steam to collect but yeah...

    That's pretty typical for Valve. A lot of purchases via Steam then require an install of other proprietary clients, like Origin or UPlay. I think it's really gone downhill over the last decade, and is bloated with microtransactions and various social media elements. At this point I would rank the DRM storefronts as follows:

    1. GOG Galaxy
    2. Origin
    3. UPlay
    4. Steam

    If you've got the game on Origin I have no idea why you'd purchase it again from Valve just to get some virtual junk.

    While I agree it has become a problem, it's not Valve at fault for forcing 3rd-party, it's those publishing it. Ubisoft and now EA being the most notable publishers doing it.

    Why do you imagine it's on Steam?
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Be aware that if you buy the base game through steam and then realize that the DLC doesn't transfer to steam. Then refund the base game from steam, origin will also refund the base game from origin. Link to steam post.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/1222670/discussions/0/2523653167118681663/

    They've actually said that they DO work. You have to launch the game to see them though, so it's likely that the OP didn't even try. Simply saw that the account showed that they weren't there.

    EA/Steam/Origin do need to be a lot more clear how this works.

    Very interesting though that they did refund the game and it removed it from both. If that's the case then why can't we all get free keys to use on Steam then, if we did want to use that in addition to Origin.

    I agree, we should get keys if we own it on origin.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,155 Member
    DLCs should work in theory, for the longest time only Dragon Age Origins (and Awakening) were available on Steam, but I got all DLC on Origin and they worked just fine while launching the game through Steam.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 11,169 Member
    edited June 2020
    @OEII1001 wrote: »
    That's pretty typical for Valve. A lot of purchases via Steam then require an install of other proprietary clients, like Origin or UPlay. I think it's really gone downhill over the last decade, and is bloated with microtransactions and various social media elements. At this point I would rank the DRM storefronts as follows:

    1. GOG Galaxy
    2. Origin
    3. UPlay
    4. Steam

    If you've got the game on Origin I have no idea why you'd purchase it again from Valve just to get some virtual junk.

    Don't forget Epic Games Store (Fortnite, Detroit Become Human, ...)
    I purchased Saints Row The Third on Steam, now the remaster is only available on Epic Games

    Steam is also a client other stores like Square Enix Store.

  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 3,855 Member
    edited June 2020
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    fmil wrote: »
    I own lots of games on steam while the sims is the only thing i have on origin so having everything on one place would be nice, but now you guys are saying they need us to open both of them to play the game on steam?! Like why?! I dont see the point on getting them on steam if you have to download origin anyway. I bought most of my ts3 packs from steam and they offer good discounts for it alot but i dont know if they gonna do the same in this instance. I am staying with origin for now.

    Mo'Money honey.
    xD But no in all seriousness, I really don't see a point unless you really like steam and wanna get away from Origin, but it does seem a bit....pointless.

    That's the thing though, you don't get away from Origin. When you launch the game on steam it opens origin... so... really no point.

    I guess there's some cards on steam to collect but yeah...

    That's pretty typical for Valve. A lot of purchases via Steam then require an install of other proprietary clients, like Origin or UPlay. I think it's really gone downhill over the last decade, and is bloated with microtransactions and various social media elements. At this point I would rank the DRM storefronts as follows:

    1. GOG Galaxy
    2. Origin
    3. UPlay
    4. Steam

    If you've got the game on Origin I have no idea why you'd purchase it again from Valve just to get some virtual junk.

    While I agree it has become a problem, it's not Valve at fault for forcing 3rd-party, it's those publishing it. Ubisoft and now EA being the most notable publishers doing it.

    Why do you imagine it's on Steam?

    as I saw by experience, to offer more local currencies besides First World ones
    (and it is done by Steam, no EA's Origin)
  • maxmusicstereomaxmusicstereo Posts: 15 Member
    Hey guys i have a few questions for those of you have it on Steam or common knowledge about this.

    1- I have the Digital Deluxe upgraded base game on my Origin, do i have to buy the DD edition on steam again or buying the base one is okay and it sees the DD content automatically when i login with my Origin at startup ?
    2- From now on, when i buy a new DLC on steam, does it automatically register on my Origin too since it asks you to login to Origin at startup and there is a "linking" going on.

    Hopefully this gets answered since i am planning have everything at one place.
  • llamasflullamasflu Posts: 221 Member
    Henrinator wrote: »
    So is there no way to "transfer" your games from Origin to Steam? Like you can't just link the two?

    nope :/ you're apparently required to have an origin account AND the client in order to even download it from steam (according to one of the reviews)
    tumblr_nvyznq2a181tiiy96o2_400.gifv
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 1,926 Member
    My biggest beef with this, is the increase in the game price to reduce it for Steam? I bought TS4 for a friend for like 4.99. On Origin it's $29 for standard versioni and $39 for deluxe. Steam has it "on sale."

    And I better not have to wait for Steam and Origin to load in to play. The only platform worse than Steam is Origin. Sigh
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 959 Member
    edited June 2020
    With the weekend past, there have been 167 reviews of TS4 on Steam with a "Mostly Positive" score in that time. 128 are positive, 39 are negative.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 3,806 Member
    If The Sims 4 gets released on GOG, then we'll talk.
  • hayir19hayir19 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi...since the Sims 4 is on steam. Is it possible to carry over the DLC packs u own on origin to steam account? Will u really need to re-purchase all of the DLC pack again on Steam?

    Am asking this, because I've linked it, and the DLC packs are already copied and into the Steam origin sims 4 folder, and they don't show up the packs in-game on Steam.

    It would be really sad if u have to really re-purchase the DLCs packs......that's rly a money waste tbh. But why are people saying that it works, but it's not even working.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,253 Member
    hayir19 wrote: »
    Hi...since the Sims 4 is on steam. Is it possible to carry over the DLC packs u own on origin to steam account? Will u really need to re-purchase all of the DLC pack again on Steam?

    Am asking this, because I've linked it, and the DLC packs are already copied and into the Steam origin sims 4 folder, and they don't show up the packs in-game on Steam.

    It would be really sad if u have to really re-purchase the DLCs packs......that's rly a money waste tbh. But why are people saying that it works, but it's not even working.

    They won't show up, but if you launch the game, they will be there. You only have to buy the base game again.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,087 Member
    edited June 2020
    I never brought my Sims games on Steam and always on Origin. I rarely run into problems with Origins platform and I do not get myself wrapped around with it. For me the only way I would get Sims 4 on Steam if I am just starting out. I like Steam better than Origin not because of performance but for the wild sales they be having. Going forward I will stick with Origin which I started out with. I seen posts on Steam telling the problems they ran into trying to utilize DLC brought on Origin and even though not everybody had those problems I just rather stick with something that is not broke.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    AMD 2700X 32 GB Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super 8 GB Rosewill Rise Full Tower SB THX Trustudio VioTek 34" Curved monitor.
    Intel 6700K 32 GB ASUS RTX 2070 Strix 8 GB Stryker Full Tower SB Z-Series Samsung Curved 32" monitor.
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I dont know if this was talked about before in this thread, but does anyone know if i can add my sims 4 steam packs to origin, too? and only open origin to play them after adding them there? I would assume so since it was like this with sims 3 but i wanted to know for sure before getting anything, even though the base game is not available in my region yet so i cant get the packs but they show up fine when i open their webpages, weird!

  • hayir19hayir19 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Camkat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They won't show up, but if you launch the game, they will be there. You only have to buy the base game again.

    I have already gotten the base game on Steam, and I have the Sims 4 + Sims 4 DLC Packs from Origin, and for me...it doesn't show up though when I launch it
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 374 Member

    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    Oh boy, I wonder what the reviews are like on Steam :/:*

    here's one
    "Overpriced DLCs for a game that's over 5 years old. How typical of you EA.
    Cant believe they get away with charging so much for dlc. $500+ for the whole thing is just messed up."

    It's pretty insane. The Sims 4 + all DLC's = $538.65

    YNDMGNo.png
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,253 Member
    hayir19 wrote: »
    > @Camkat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They won't show up, but if you launch the game, they will be there. You only have to buy the base game again.

    I have already gotten the base game on Steam, and I have the Sims 4 + Sims 4 DLC Packs from Origin, and for me...it doesn't show up though when I launch it

    You might have to report that over at Answers HQ then. They are supposed to be in game when you launch it. Does it recognize your saves and when you load a game are the items in the catalogue?

    Here's the link to report your issue (in case you need it): https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Arzekial wrote: »
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    Oh boy, I wonder what the reviews are like on Steam :/:*

    here's one
    "Overpriced DLCs for a game that's over 5 years old. How typical of you EA.
    Cant believe they get away with charging so much for dlc. $500+ for the whole thing is just messed up."

    It's pretty insane. The Sims 4 + all DLC's = $538.65

    YNDMGNo.png

    MY GOD and this is on SALE right?!
  • hayir19hayir19 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Camkat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > You might have to report that over at Answers HQ then. They are supposed to be in game when you launch it. Does it recognize your saves and when you load a game are the items in the catalogue?
    >
    > Here's the link to report your issue (in case you need it): https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4

    Yeah, my saves shows up, mods doesn't and dlc packs contents doesn't. Thank you for the link, I will report it.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,556 Member
    I bought Sims 3 on Steam, and it transferred no problem to Origin where I now have both, but it doesn't work the other way?

    I was hoping to keep Sims 4 on Origin but also have it on Steam, just in case Origin ever went down or whatever, kind of a backup, but it sounds like you can't do that? Just clarifying in case I'm misunderstanding (no intention to buy twice... I don't need a backup THAT bad haha)
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,253 Member
    I bought Sims 3 on Steam, and it transferred no problem to Origin where I now have both, but it doesn't work the other way?

    I was hoping to keep Sims 4 on Origin but also have it on Steam, just in case Origin ever went down or whatever, kind of a backup, but it sounds like you can't do that? Just clarifying in case I'm misunderstanding (no intention to buy twice... I don't need a backup THAT bad haha)

    It doesn't go the other way. You do have to buy the base game again. :(

    I'm not sure how well your idea would have worked anyways though, if you launch TS4 through Steam it will open Origin and ask you to log in there as well. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,556 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I bought Sims 3 on Steam, and it transferred no problem to Origin where I now have both, but it doesn't work the other way?

    I was hoping to keep Sims 4 on Origin but also have it on Steam, just in case Origin ever went down or whatever, kind of a backup, but it sounds like you can't do that? Just clarifying in case I'm misunderstanding (no intention to buy twice... I don't need a backup THAT bad haha)

    It doesn't go the other way. You do have to buy the base game again. :(

    I'm not sure how well your idea would have worked anyways though, if you launch TS4 through Steam it will open Origin and ask you to log in there as well. :/

    Ah okay no point then. Maybe if the base game ever goes on sale for Free on Steam like it does sometimes on Origin I'll grab it anyways though, haha. Thank-you for your help!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top