Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If there is a 'The Sims 5' what year should it be announced, and what year should it be released?

Comments

• BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Announcement 2020 release 2022.
    It would be nice if it came out around 2021 or 2022, but with ea I know the game would most likely be rushed and chalk full of bugs and that is not something I want to see a repeat of. So I think it should come out when its completed and forget deadlines. So if doesnt release until 2025 but the game is polished and packed with new idea/content then so be it. That way the devs have more time to do as they please and wont feel rushed.
    giphy.gif

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Announcement 2023 release 2025.
    Sims 4 still has a few more years to be complete before a reboot of Sims 5.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I believe the next iteration of Sims will be announced within 1 year/ 6 months of its official release. At the moment Sims 4 is still quite comfortable releasing new content, in fact, after 6 years S4 is still running well on (64bit) machines and I’ve always felt that this particular game is pretty experimental with new themes and worlds, because it can be due to its game engine. There was a good reason Sims 3 had to put a halt to new development because machines could simply not take anymore new content. At some point even high end machines found it hard to run with al available content installed.

From both a technical and financial perspective S4 has no reason to stop new content creation: The average machine can still take it, devs genuinely still seem to be happy exploring and giving us more content through engagement with the community (more than ever before and probably more than any other game can take credit for, due to its ‘play with life’ nature) and although this game seems to receive a lot of backlash from the more vocal part of the community, the majority is still happy, is still buying and will keep doing so.

Players are still looking for more content, the SP, GP, EP formula seems to be working well and the longer S4 will comfortably continue the release of new DL’s, the more time the new iteration has for research, testing and development. The latter is very much needed, given that Sims 4 had a very bumpy start, and I’m quite sure Maxis would have delayed its release if Sims 3 wasn’t forced to stop development due to technical constraints.

I’m hoping the new generation of Sims will learn from its predecessors and that it also takes newer technologies in consideration. Since it’s a Life simulation game, Personally I’m hoping that the AI system gets an overhaul an that Procedural Animation will be implemented in order to support heightsliders and terrain interaction in an open world situation. If those basics are developed well within its new game engine, I think ‘Sims 5’ can be one of the best yet and I’m happy to give it as long as it needs in order to fulfill that potential.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Announcement 2021 release 2023.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Sims 4 still has a few more years to be complete before a reboot of Sims 5.

I think the issue .What would complete the game? More packs are not going to complete this game ?And some patches will be nice, but the core would still not be complete
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited June 2020
    When SHOULD it be? Whenever the time is right. The Sims Olympus was a mess, primarily due to the fact that since they thought the online-only basis of Sim City 5 would go over quite well, and then, well it didn't. Proved to be a gigantic mistake. When, in my opinion, they should have started over, with a robust engine and better mechanics, they did not. Instead, they decided to rush things; and cut the online multiplayer features and released it as The Sims 4. Vs. say, they started over and waited until 2015-6 to release it, we might be looking at something different.

We don't know when development started (or if it even has). Some job postings shown here would lead me to believe it started late last year. I say 2022 at the earliest to do it right. But, our luck, because the CEO wants it to be online, subscription-based, multiplayer, and laden with lootbox mechanics, despite the style of game and gameplay not accomodating that at all (and it already being hinted at as coming on console in 2021), I say next year as more probable. And we'll end up with a game, most likely, that to me, is like comparing TS2 to TS4. Even TS4 will be a better game.
  • bryanovensbryanovens Posts: 41 Member
    Announcement 2020 release 2021.
    cody6268 wrote: »
    When SHOULD it be? Whenever the time is right. The Sims Olympus was a mess, primarily due to the fact that since they thought the online-only basis of Sim City 5 would go over quite well, and then, well it didn't. Proved to be a gigantic mistake. When, in my opinion, they should have started over, with a robust engine and better mechanics, they did not. Instead, they decided to rush things; and cut the online multiplayer features and released it as The Sims 4. Vs. say, they started over and waited until 2015-6 to release it, we might be looking at something different.

We don't know when development started (or if it even has). Some job postings shown here would lead me to believe it started late last year. I say 2022 at the earliest to do it right. But, our luck, because the CEO wants it to be online, subscription-based, multiplayer, and laden with lootbox mechanics, despite the style of game and gameplay not accomodating that at all (and it already being hinted at as coming on console in 2021), I say next year as more probable. And we'll end up with a game, most likely, that to me, is like comparing TS2 to TS4. Even TS4 will be a better game.

I wrote an article earlier last week looking at evidence as to when the development of this next game began, and based on that when I believe it will come out and why. It's here if you're interested in reading it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P-JDZhVXSkZnp6BpWMh0lxUl8hCgRhVygrKM8V-dI-w/edit?usp=sharing

I guessed that it would be announced during EA Play, which ended up being completely wrong, so that part of my hypothesis is moot. I assume if it were still announced this year, it would be during the Gamescom event later this summer, but again I don't have much evidence for that besides the fact that based on the development timeline I put together the game SHOULD be announced this year and that's really the last chance for it to be announced at a major gaming event this year.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Announcement 2019, Release 2020.
    Penelope wrote: »
    The only way I'd get a Sims 5 is if it took all the best features from 2,3 and 4 and combined them into the most amazing game we've ever seen. Regardless, I bought 2, 3, and 4 (and expansions) on their release days, and I won't be falling into that same trap for 5. I'll wait until it's out a year and the price has dropped, and the bugs worked out, and THEN I'll play it.
    I will be holding off too the release of TS4 was a total feasco things like free content EP’s, GP’s and SP’s all helped but at the end of the day it is still a substandard game it seems to have lost the personality that was in the first 3 and the last few EP’s have been a bit lifeless ( I can’t talk about Eco Living as I have not got it). Maxis need to up there game they used to be the only show in town but there is Paralives that is on the way and whatever Paradox are working on I am excited to see how Maxis respond to these new challengers .
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2020
    Announcement 2022 release 2024.
    I feel that 4 more years is the appropriate time for TS4 to wrap up. We have all the "expected" packs, but the game is far from finished. I hope they fix the base game as soon as possible, and add onto the game with packs that deepen the sims themselves and diversify their universe.

Packs that I still want to see:
    EPs
    - Farming EP focusing on livestock with rural Victorian / Country / Italian vineyards world.
    - Futuristic city with high-end artistic careers like architecture, interior decorating, stylist etc; fun-tech and bands.
    - Pirate EP? :wink:

GPs
    - Venice world with nectar making, candy making, chocolate making, romance etc.
    - Rural Asian world with koi fish breeding, martial arts, calligraphy etc.
    - African safari with wildlife conservation career, birdwatching, traditional African cultural instruments etc.
    - Hobbies GP adding activities like pottery, sculpting in various mediums, updated woodworking to be a separate skill and include much more furniture and toys, glass-blowing, toy making etc. Just everything that either wouldn't make sense in other packs or couldn't fit in.
    - Relationships/Generations GP that fleshes out all relationship types (including negative relationships) and all life stages.
    - Scuba diving GP in a Cape Town themed destination world with various beautiful underwater areas and puzzles to solve.
    - Werewolf GP with an Industrial-era, dirty London-themed world.
    - Hotel/resort GP.

We have too many SPs already. I like how the knitting SP is looking, but imo that should be the last SP.

So that's 3 EPs and 8 GPs. Assuming they can bring out 4 DLCs per year, that's about 3 years, leaving more than enough time to work on the base game.

Note: if you want to read more about my ideas for these packs, I've made a discussion for many of them.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    The Sims 4 will always be incomplete because the core game is so lackluster. So why use up resources on Sims 4 content when you can just use it on Sims 5?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited June 2020
    The Sims 4 will always be incomplete because the core game is so lackluster. So why use up resources on Sims 4 content when you can just use it on Sims 5?

Because there are million of players who purchased The Sims 4 and want more content.

Because there are million of players who purchased The Sims 4 and wants more content.

Well why not buy a hopefully better and new version of the game (sims 5) and make that a complete game?
    The Sims 4 doesn't have the potential to become a complete game.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited June 2020

Because there are million of players who purchased The Sims 4 and wants more content.

Well why not buy a hopefully better and new version of the game (sims 5) and make that a complete game?

Because the players want to play now, not in 5 years.

Money doesn't mean Good game, just look at Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda, EA invested a lot of money for these "lacklusters".
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

This...you can add more upon more in TS4 and still be a empty shell. UNTIL they fix the core...it'll never be a complete game.
    edited June 2020

The ‘Sims 5’ and The Sims 4 are two completely different projects with most likely two completely different teams. I can guarantee you that there’s a whole team developing a ‘Sims 5’ as we speak. Well...maybe not on a Sunday...
    Testing its core engine and features will take a lot of time and resources to make sure the game is stable before release.
    In the meantime there’s Sims 4, whether some folks like it or not...
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    Announcement 2020 release 2022.
    well, you asked what year i think it should be announced, not when is it most likely to be, so... :D It is just wishful thinking, and here is the thing, i dont mind if sims 4 lasts 3 more years, i just really want to know some more info about sims 5 like how are they gonna handle the personality aspect? is it going to have an open world or not? if it wont be that different then i might just shut up about it and keep buying more stuff for sims 4 because i dont see the point of it if it is gonna be very similar to it in core features.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    @NXOR007 wrote: »

The ‘Sims 5’ and The Sims 4 are two completely different projects with most likely two completely different teams. I can guarantee you that there’s a whole team developing a ‘Sims 5’ as we speak. Well...maybe not on a Sunday...
    Testing its core engine and features will take a lot of time and resources to make sure the game is stable before release.

They don’t have a whole different team working on TS5. What they have is a small team working on TS5’s pre-production, i.e. initial concepts and designs. This stage can last a very long time. For example, EA’s Anthem started pre-production in early 2012 (right after Mass Effect 3 was released) and did not enter full-production until mid-2017. The game spent over 5 years in pre-production and only 1.5 years in full production.

What Maxis has done is transferring a small number of developers from the TS4 team, as well as hiring a handful of new developers for TS5’s pre-production team. What they did NOT do was hiring a whole another team (100+ employees at a bare minimum) that’s capable of making TS5 on their own. TS5 will NOT enter full production until most of the team is done with TS4.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i think announced in 2021 and released in 2022. The sims 4 is a better set up then what we have seen in the past...it runs very well for most players and has survived longevity very well.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    wickichick wrote: »
    i think announced in 2021 and released in 2022. The sims 4 is a better set up then what we have seen in the past...it runs very well for most players and has survived longevity very well.

No it hasn't, lol! The pile of bugs to fix broken features is still huge. Live mode is boring because of that - and frustrating. Sure everyone can just create and dress up sims and build lots in TS4, but you can do that in the other iterations too AND play in live mode, because those games don't have broken gameplay.

I'd rather promote The Sims 3 while waiting for all the new life simulation games to be released. That game is better value for people's money and for EA's profits as well as it is still selling well even though it is nowhere on sale as much as TS4. I would love it if they started creating new venues, worlds and item/clothing sets for it again!

edited June 2020
    @elelunicy wrote: »
    @NXOR007 wrote: »

They don’t have a whole different team working on TS5. What they have is a small team working on TS5’s pre-production, i.e. initial concepts and designs. This stage can last a very long time. For example, EA’s Anthem started pre-production in early 2012 (right after Mass Effect 3 was released) and did not enter full-production until mid-2017. The game spent over 5 years in pre-production and only 1.5 years in full production.

What Maxis has done is transferring a small number of developers from the TS4 team, as well as hiring a handful of new developers for TS5’s pre-production team. What they did NOT do was hiring a whole another team (100+ employees at a bare minimum) that’s capable of making TS5 on their own. TS5 will NOT enter full production until most of the team is done with TS4.

Thanks for correcting me. I should have mentioned at which production stage they currently are (pre) and that there is a difference between a ‘whole’ pre-production team and an ‘whole’ full-production team...
    I’m aware that most of the TS4 team will eventually be moved to work on TS5. It will be a phased process, but until the core engine for the new Sims game is somewhat stable, TS4 won’t be done.
    edited June 2020
    elelunicy wrote:

@elelunicy yeah but Anthem is a bad example of a game in production hell. 5 years pre-production should be considered worst case scenario and not standard development time!
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited June 2020

yeah but Anthem is a bad example of a game in production hell. 5 years pre-production should be considered worst case scenario and not standard development time!

TS4 spent 3-4 years in pre-production as well which wasn't exactly short. If I'm not mistaken, TS4's pre-production started as soon as they shipped TS3 base game in mid-2009, and it did not enter full production until early 2013, when most of the team was done with TS3: Island Paradise, the last EP made at Redwood Shores.

This is exactly why it's impossible to predict when TS5 will be released based on when they started working on TS5, as the length of pre-production can vary a lot. Because only a small team works on pre-production, it's relatively inexpensive for EA during this stage of development so it doesn't matter if it takes 3 years or 5 years; they can basically spend as much time as they need. Meanwhile, full production requires 100-200 or more full time employees working on the game so it's very expensive for EA during this stage of development. We can be relatively sure that the full production period will take about 12-18 months or so.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    elelunicy wrote: »
    . We can be relatively sure that the full production period will take about 12-18 months or so.

@elelunicy to be honest I really want them to take their time in actual development. I wish they could find the passion and motivation to stick around in the production stage as long as possible in order to ship a much more stable game than the Sims 4.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited June 2020

Because there are million of players who purchased The Sims 4 and want more content.

The Sims4 will never catch up in content with Sims3 because we don't get as much in packs as we use to ie Pets, Supernatural, Generations, Island Paradise..., because they had several teams and dropped that down instead of having the store team work on EPs too, and because Sims3 had a crazy amount of stuff in it. Wish they had put out farming and some other stuff instead of rushing Sims4. I also want more content even though I'm more of a Sims3 fan. There's things I do like about Sims4. Also, if they were going to abandon#4, why add it to console?

Why waste our resources on Sims5 if it's the same? No open world? Why bother. There would be no point in making something else and a bunch of people wouldn't want to start over buying content we've been waiting years for. Why start over with nothing when they can add babies, cars, farming, and stuff simmers want. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Sims4 fan, but it's what I have sunk money in and I want to get my money's worth.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

For me, Sims 4 feels complete in itself. It's the best live game play of all versions for my particular style of game play, but I'd still love to see it last longer for the new packs coming out. I'd love to see a snowy vacation world, more surprise strangerville style packs, more packs for kids, etc.

But if it was dropped tomorrow I'd be very happy with the game it currently is and continue to play it as long as I have a computer that could run it. I wouldn't switch to Sims 5 since I only have time for one Sims game, I already own Sims 4 and wouldn't want to spend money on restarting. Plus I've been playing the same families on extra slow aging for the past 3.5 years, over 1000 hours into these three neighbour families and the oldest kids just became young adults! I wouldn't want to give up this save or family and start again at this point with new sims.

If they decided to give Sims 4 players a free version of Sims 5 (yah, never gonna happen) then sure I'd download it and give it a try before returning to my current save, I'm not against it coming out, but not interested either as it's likely not going to affect me.)
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    Announce: 2021.
    Release: 2023-24. Take your time on this, do it right. None of this launching like Sims 4 did.