Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rant from a Fan - Should we reconsider buying Eco Lifestyle?

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @DoloresGrey that was what i said. 40 euros is heavy for me. And that's why i said i don't buy it for that amount. There are legit sites that sell it for way less money. You only buy for 40 if you don't look anywhere else and just buy it from origin...
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I always recommend that if you have doubts about buying a game, dlc or whatever, then you should wait before buying it. Even if you will end up buying it later, you will end up playing or doing something else. And often you will realize that the reason why you wanted to buy the thing in the first place was not really because it was something you wanted, but because it was something new.

And that is a healthy mindset because you will start to see things from a different perspective.

I think there are people that will buy this pack because they can do things that they like, and that is fine.

But I hope that the people who buy it just because it is something new will reconsider.

The reason I am bringing all of this up is that maybe not buying everything they throw at us (just because we like 1-2 features out of a 40€ pack) would actually push them to do better instead.

that would require a full, organized boycott. And the entire fanbase would have to be in on it. Which isn't going to happen, realistically.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I have to fully agree with @Babykittyjade this is how companies work now. Things get smaller and prices go up, like my fave sweets that use to be filled to the top of the bag are now less than half-way filled!! *cries*
    And I too have spent a silly amount of money while I have been out with friends and family for only a couple of hours but at least with TS I can go back and play it again and again without having to spend money every time I play. Plus I also wait for sales or go to cdkeys to get it cheaper.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I agree that the activities available, make this appear to be a weak game pack, let alone expansion pack. Candle making and burning, as environmentalism?

Nah, real environmentalism requires a death of consumerism and the disposable stuff economy. So, all the "cute outfits" and "stuff" and the mania for shopping shopping shopping, gotta go. You can't interior decorate and impulse buy yourself a better ecosystem and a sustainable future, nor can you scented-candle it into being no matter how pretty the beach looks after physically picking up the detritus that is the mere tip of a massive hidden iceberg of hormone disrupting microplastics in the snow atop the French Pyranees.

Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    ManakoHime wrote: »
    I have to fully agree with @Babykittyjade this is how companies work now. Things get smaller and prices go up, like my fave sweets that use to be filled to the top of the bag are now less than half-way filled!! *cries*
    And I too have spent a silly amount of money while I have been out with friends and family for only a couple of hours but at least with TS I can go back and play it again and again without having to spend money every time I play. Plus I also wait for sales or go to cdkeys to get it cheaper.

Just because other companies do it, doesn't make it better. It's like saying, well if everyone I know is a shoplifter then I'll be a shoplifter too and it's fine. It's not a bad thing if everyone else is doing it. That is not a good mindset.

Also no, other companies don't do it that much. Give me one game with as much DLC as The Sims 4 that costs from 10-40 dollars each. I'll wait.
    Other gaming communities are making fun of us...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited May 2020
    logion wrote: »

that would require a full, organized boycott. And the entire fanbase would have to be in on it. Which isn't going to happen, realistically.

That's why I started this discussion, to make people rethink their choices and demand more.
  • LairaLaira Posts: 39 Member
    ManakoHime wrote: »

Just because other companies do it, doesn't make it better. It's like saying, well if everyone I know is a shoplifter then I'll be a shoplifter too and it's fine. It's not a bad thing if everyone else is doing it. That is not a good mindset.

Also no, other companies don't do it that much. Give me one game with as much DLC as The Sims 4 that costs from 10-40 dollars each. I'll wait.
    Other gaming communities are making fun of us...

Paradox does it all the time (Crusader Kings 2 or Cities Skylines).
    Laira wrote: »

Paradox does it all the time (Crusader Kings 2 or Cities Skylines).

The prices are from 3-16 dollars on Steam, yeah totally the same
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I just read a pinned thread today by luthienrising. It's very informative, inasmuch as it has links to a page that really gives a breakdown on what this pack is about. In reading a few of the other player's comments, I don't believe this pack is for me. I have no desire to have smog in my game and the only was to rid my neighborhood of it is to play my game a certain way. Thanks, but no thanks. I may actually for the very first time, skip an EP. Yeah, I said it. I may SKIP an EP something I've NEVER done. This pack appears to have an agenda and I refuse to participate. Besides, a new ink toner cartridge would suit me better.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Hey guys,

Huge fan of the Sims series here, playing since 2008. I wanted to start this discussion so I can get a few things off my chest. I am not trying to badmouth or sabotage the game in anyway. I simply want to discuss this issue with the community.

My experience with The Sims 4 has not been the best and I've always wanted to voice my opinion in the past, so with the announcement of this pack, I am finally here. After watching the trailer for this pack I was dissapointed. Unlike previous packs that were lacking, the trailers were still great. This trailer though throws a bad light on the pack because of the similarities in features from previous packs (ex. Get to Work, University, Tiny Living, Laundry Day you name it), but also because of the weak new features coming with this.

Aside from the trailer Eco Lifestyle seems to be following the same pattern previous packs have:

- First, it features the same Sims 4 utopian concept we've been getting over and over. It focuses around putting effort into creating a perfect world, cleaning up, using renewable energy sources, recycling and everything else sugar and rainbows. And to everyone out there saying it includes the polluted air, I'll say one thing. The point of the pack is to get rid of pollution so there won't be a lot of focus on the smoke.

- Second, the main features have again no depth. Candlemaking, renewable energies, recycling are all skills or things to do once or twice. In the past we got stuff like these as minor features, now they are marketed as the main features. How many candles are you gonna make, how much trash are you gonna pick up? We need more tools that give us freedom to create our own unique stories (ex. Create a holiday, Create a Club, Run a business). All of these give us a freedom to tell our own stories rather than play in predetermined paths.

- Also focusing more on visuals than gameplay. Needless to say the clothes and worlds always look great in packs but what's the point when you can't interact with your suroundings? As for the clothes, Sims need clothes that match their personalities not the other way around...
    Sims can't even drive cars, yet there's pollution?

- Finally, a very high price tag. There are whole games out there that cost 40 dollars, complete games! How do you justify paying 40 dollars just for an expansion pack? The amount of features is nowhere near the amount we used to get in previous installments and even if we get less content, its quality and depth is also lacking.

This is why I think we as consumers should take a moment and rethink buying some of these packs. Like everyone out there I always want to have the latest pack for The Sims 4 but at the same time I realize that by paying more and more money I am hurting the franchise and the game I love. There is no point in complaining about a pack and a game after you have already bought it 'cause at the end of the day if it brings the company money they are not going to change it.

It's okay to be dissatisfied, it's okay to demand more, it's your hard earned money.

It’s not just a utopian concept though, the devs have said multiple times on Twitter you can make the pollution situation worse if you want and play that out, you even have the option of spreading the pollution to existing worlds outside of Evergreen Harbor. How is that not allowing sims to affect or interact with their environment? You aren’t obligated to live an eco lifestyle or clean anything up if you don’t choose to, there is no guided gameplay in the pack. The pollution judging from the trailer will have an effect not only on your sims, but the NPC sims around them.

As for CAS and BB needing to suit your sims personality instead of the other way around, that doesn’t even make sense. At this point at least for me with all packs I can tailor my sims clothing and homes to suit my head canon and their personalities even more specifically with each bit of dlc I accumulate.

I think this pack has the potential to switch this game up significantly just like Seasons did because it will touch multiple aspects of the existing game, and it will give the environment a chance to impact your sims (like Seasons) and for your sims to impact the environment for better or for worse depending on how you choose to play it out.
    As for CAS and BB needing to suit your sims personality instead of the other way around, that doesn’t even make sense. At this point at least for me with all packs I can tailor my sims clothing and homes to suit my head canon and their personalities even more specifically with each bit of dlc I accumulate.

What I meant by that is that Sims have no personality so the only way to give them one is by using clothes and that sucks. Instead of choosing clothes to suit their personality you have to give them one through clothes. Hope that makes it clear.

Also like mentioned in comments on this thread I am using this lacking, dissatisfying pack to talk about the game in general and the direction it's taking. As for the dystopian concept, it has no features focusing on it other than the smog and the trash, when they could go full out industrialised urban city with crime and traffic jams etc.
    They still could reveal few more things but the main features are probably the ones in the trailer.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    While I respect your viewpoints, I think the answer to this would be best decided after the livestream and more information is released, as they are keeping much of it close to their chests, so to speak. We didn't even know the pollution/green effects would go to other worlds until a tweet, it certainly wasn't in the trailer.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited May 2020
    I spent $27.89 to preorder this pack. I anticipate getting 100s of hours (or more) of enjoyment from it. That’s a bargain for me. If you don’t think you’ll get at least $27.89 (or comparable amount for your purchase) worth of enjoyment from it, don’t buy it. It’s a simple decision for me, anyway. I have spent that amount at a restaurant in the past, and only gotten an hour’s worth of enjoyment from it.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    I spent $27.89 to preorder this pack. I anticipate getting 100s of hours (or more) of enjoyment from it. That’s a bargain for me. If you don’t think you’ll get at least $27.89 (or comparable amount for your purchase) worth of enjoyment from it, don’t buy it. It’s a simple decision for me, anyway. I have spent that amount at a restaurant in the past, and only gotten an hour’s worth of enjoyment from it.

What I am actually trying to say is, is that they could do so much better and they don't. There is so much potential lost behind those packs that have no depth and minimal gameplay. We could be playing an even more awesome game right now. They have the money, they have the fanbase, they have the technology, why not expect more? I don't understand sometimes.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I've been a sims player since the year 2000 so I feel ya. Content in these packs are good but they aren't full EP price worthy. Like @Paigeisin5, I haven't paid full price on a pack for over or around 2 years now. Though I caved when ROM came out, which won't happen again. So I will get this pack but it will be on sale before I do.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,542 Member
    I expect they could do so much better, but maybe not with the Sims 4...? I don't know much about programming, but aren't they restricted because of how it was supposed to be an online game and they had to make so many changes to the base game in a short space of time? If that is the case, then they have certainly improved the game much more than I initially thought they would.

I feel like they can only go so far with this version, and am hoping they actually get it right if they do a Sims 5 (though I am sure it will end up being some horrific multi-player/social media mess).

But, for now, I am enjoying what is available in the game as-is and have been happy enough with the releases. Yes, some aspects are pretty poor compared to previous versions, but they have also brought us aspects which are superior too - otherwise I would still be playing the older versions.

I need to play sims, it is basically the only computer game I really like. I have tried going back to the older sims games and I just can't do it because there are too many things about sims 4 now that I like better. And I see new packs coming out and there are always a lot of features to them that I would like in my game, so I cannot bypass them. I am not a completionist who buys the packs just because they are there. I really do want the advertised features added into my game.
    I expect they could do so much better, but maybe not with the Sims 4...? I don't know much about programming, but aren't they restricted because of how it was supposed to be an online game and they had to make so many changes to the base game in a short space of time? If that is the case, then they have certainly improved the game much more than I initially thought they would.

I feel like they can only go so far with this version, and am hoping they actually get it right if they do a Sims 5 (though I am sure it will end up being some horrific multi-player/social media mess).

But, for now, I am enjoying what is available in the game as-is and have been happy enough with the releases. Yes, some aspects are pretty poor compared to previous versions, but they have also brought us aspects which are superior too - otherwise I would still be playing the older versions.

I need to play sims, it is basically the only computer game I really like. I have tried going back to the older sims games and I just can't do it because there are too many things about sims 4 now that I like better. And I see new packs coming out and there are always a lot of features to them that I would like in my game, so I cannot bypass them. I am not a completionist who buys the packs just because they are there. I really do want the advertised features added into my game.

I really really hope it's like that because it was supposed to be an online game but it's not. I really hope they can take it miles further with The Sims 5. I really want them to be passionate about creating innovation and not just selling us products because they know we need The Sims and we will buy anything.
    I'm like you I need to play this game but I'm always dissapointed, yet how am I supposed to replace it? There is nothing else similar out there. I feel really exploited sometimes.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    For me if they would just fix the trait system to make sims behave different , and fix the whim so that it is dynamics depending on the trait and surrounding and not keep repeating the same whims, and make aspiration more interesting (instead of just a tutorial) they would have already make sims 4 the best sims ever for me. This is not much to ask.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I don't know about that Utopian Concept thing, I believe it's possible to be able to make any world, except for the three unaffected by pollution, completely filthy and gross.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ZebSimsZebSims Posts: 67 Member
    Personally, I don't think any expansion pack is worth $40. The sales price (and sales happen often) of $20 seems closer to a fair price.

EcoLifestyle, to me at least, only looks interesting for the possibility for a grungy world for less-than-honest Sims to live in. Too many of the worlds are pretty and perfect where Sims lead ideal lives. A world of filth would be so refreshing (again, in my opinion). But like the OP, I fear too much of the gameplay will be focused on the opposite, on making the world identical to every other world from the other packs: clean and pretty.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The last jam packed Expansion Pack that we got was Get To Work. To be honest I would rather have the current expansion packs than old ones.

I mean in Get To Work, They added tons of features but none are fleshed out. The Scientist Career is awesome but aliens and their world are forgettable. They even only had like 5-8 interactions. Out of the three careers only One had function outside of the careers themselves. The Detective Career lacks Variety. Same three type cases, no sense of progression on higher ranks that should have provided different type of cases. None of the Doctor Career equipment are usable outside of Work, Sickness and doctor career has no connection other than work. The retail Store? No Home Business, The customers are not able to buy multiple things, Cash Registers have no gameplay value, and basically do almost everything you can already do in the UI, employees are practically useless, customers don't shop unless the blue bar is full. And many more gripes.

If we compare the pack to Get Famous, That pack blows GTW away even if it has less feature. We only got one active career but sets have a lot of variety and changes the more you grow and level up. The acting career works outside and have value outside of the career itself and anyone can learn acting or act in public without being locked in the career lot. The equipment used outside of acting are functional outside of career like the style station compared to the X-ray machine in or Cell Gates in GTW. Fame and Reputation are tied to all of the skills and careers in the game alongside with opportunities to become famous in each one of them. We got a media Production as another part of new thing to get fame and even if it is small it did not disappoint. Which is surprising for me tbh. I prefer that type of EP's than Jam Packed EP with non are fleshed out.

The only disadvantage of the current style of EP is if they chose a feature that is not worthy of an Major Highlight. Island Living focused on Conservationist and World, neglecting the gameplay of other features. City Living focused on festival that reuses the current objects because they want the simmers to "explore" the old unused content such as the programming skill. Hopefully this pack will be about gameplay just like Get Together, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Get Famous, and Discover University did.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited June 2020
    mehhh i couldn't care less about what it offers so i am not buying it. true, EA is charging through the nose for roughly a 15 $ value worth of content but hey...it's EA, the most notorious game publishing corporation when it comes to greed and shady business practices so i didn't expect anything less but if said content appeals to me i'll consider getting it when it is on sale and if i LOVE it i'll get it on launch but packs like this doesn't appeal to me at all so nope, not buying it even if it is on sale... unless they offer it for maybe 10$...THEN i'll maybe consider since it does have some cool CAS items and other stuff.

the only packs i found worthwhile to get on launch were Island Living, Get Together (best pack by far imo! love the club system and Windenburg and it's premades) and Get Famous. i almost Always live in Windenburg, i often use GF stiuff and the Actor career is a ton of fun as well and i ADORE everything about Sulani and the Island life! never gets boring there and the world itself is gorgeous. the others are mehh at best imo and i rarely go to Uni or San Myshuno anymore because well... it triggers an influx of those stupid random generated townies and i just am not sold on what the worlds offer in return for this annoyance. some game packs are good like RoM if you like a little magic, Vampires are also quite fun to play as (no glittery tame vamps like in ts 3 now you can actually attack and drain sims without permission) and well...stuff packs are imo never worth the price they charge.

final verdict: nothing EA offers is fairly priced unless the game is ridden with Microtransactions but if you truly like a pack for what it offers you can get it, but if it doesn't appeal enough to you to pay overvalue don't bother.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member

What I am actually trying to say is, is that they could do so much better and they don't. There is so much potential lost behind those packs that have no depth and minimal gameplay. We could be playing an even more awesome game right now. They have the money, they have the fanbase, they have the technology, why not expect more? I don't understand sometimes.

@SimmerGeorge it's EA.... they don't care about quality, they only care about lining their pockes as much as they can be4 the next sims series comes out and this story of overpiriced halfbaked bug infested content packs starts all over again. as long as folks pay they won't change their ways and if it doesn't yield enough profit they just throw the series into the trash bin -.- this is just how EA operates nowadays and it is sad….
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2020
    For me I was one of the few people being optimistic when it was first announced but honestly now it's out I'm really disappointed by the pack.

The build-buy and CAS are amazing and honestly they make me want to play vanilla as there's so many nice items but the rest of the pack is terrible. 2/3 neighborhoods in the world are unusable for me as they have a grand total of two actual houses in each neighborhood and when you've got one neighbor that kind of defeats the purpose of "neighborhood action plans", and the amount of fake houses makes it feel like a ghost town.

The saving the world system is atrocious, turning the world industrial is basically impossible and for some reason even if you fill every lot with highly industrial stuff it just goes back to neutral in five seconds, then turning the world eco is so boring. Place solar panels in every lot and then give gifts to people to activate a few one a week NAPS and woopee! World saved! Well atleast for 30 seconds until it automatically goes neutral again.

Even when the worlds saved there's barely any difference, a few random sunflowers painted on the ground, a couple of trees around and that's about it. For 40 bucks its mediocre at best, glad I bought it online for $22 instead but even then I feel a bit ripped off. 100% the worst EP
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Quite agree with the OP. Am also passing on this one, adding it to the not bought pile. From what I've been reading in the forums there are too many things in the pack that don't: fit my play style, work properly, make for a genuinely better gaming experience for me. Not keen on the price tag, either.