Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone play only using one character?

I find it rather interesting to have a 'household' with one character as when you start adding more your focus gets separated. Almost like having the rest of your family in the next door house and just visit them for hours every day. Was curious if anyone else played this way.

Comments

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Some households have only one character. I think it's very refreshing to have all your focus on one sim and not feel like you're missing out on other sims' lives.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I almost exclusively play with one sim. I think this came from the early console days where you only play one sim in the beginning of the story mode and eventually there would be a mission/aspiration to marry a sim and then eventually have a baby by the end of the story mode. So I still pretty much play like this. Only I play a single sim a lot longer in Sims 4.
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    My playstyle is not exactly the same but i think it is pretty similar! I am a legacy player so i do play a household with more than one sim, but my attention stays focused on the heir while the rest of the household members are more like side characters. I cant focus on alot of same equally now because i have been playing almost exclusively like this for a very long time and it made me not used to playing it any other way.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Up until TS4 I exclusively played with single sims because distraction usually ended in someone dying unexpectedly.

Now I will play with up to 4 sims comfortably, but I tend to pause a lot and set up long interaction queues where I can. I have played with more than 4, but I it just seems to take forever to progress with the additional pausing.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I try i really do. So many times I want to focus on one but there are so many sims I love and want to play with I end up moving in sims one by one until I have maxed family.I 😲
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I usually play with families but I feel I get more of a "story" if I give more attention to one or two members of the household rather than dividing my attention equally between them all.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I enjoy playing one sim now and again, but not often. I find there's not enough for me to do, I feel like I sometimes end up twiddling my thumbs.

But it makes a nice change occasionally in my rotation.
  • DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Posts: 62 Member
    I've been doing that a lot lately. Sometimes I'll add another to spice things up. For instance, I played my girl Hazel for quite some time, she moved three times, and was having quite a hard time in the city when I moved her back into the country. Well... as soon as she got back into the country and got comfortable, both of her parents died, and she was left with her six year old sister. So that was a whirlwind of a play through. I wanted to play her more, but then got... the itch.

So now I'm playing through my solo character, Darbii Rue. She's an aspiring witch, and she's been very amusing to play so far.
    OSDDWo0.png
  • FunnyCidesFunnyCides Posts: 107 Member
    I try to start out with one Sim but it rarely ever works because then my mind starts going off on idea s and before I know it I have at least two Sims and sometimes more. I need to start scaling it back though, I am finding that really large families take the fun out of it for me because I don't feel like I get to know everyone all that well and being attached to my Sims is what helps me enjoy the game.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I played a one-Sim household today. It can be really fun sometimes because you can really focus on one person, but I get a little bored if I play only a one-Sim household for an extended period of time.

One of my favorite one-Sim households is a guy who has his coworkers over every night. That makes it feel less like a one-Sim household, but I can still concentrate on only one Sim.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Most of the time I play with one sim households. The next best way is with a sim and a "helper" I don't try to skill them or do aspirations ect on them or at least not focus on them much at all, sometimes the second helper sim is downloaded from my library and already highly skilled.
    I like challenges where I only control one sim that way I'm free to ignore the others and just observe or very lightly direct them. I guess I feel like if part of the rules are to neglect them so I don't feel bad about not playing them? The roomate system can be nice for this playing a single sim feel too.
    If I play bigger families it's more for a different pace/challenge but it's limited to a few sim weeks in rotation then I go back to singles pretty quick and with some relief. Even pets can be really distracting but sometimes I add them in.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Unless and until a challenge I'm playing requires more than one Sim, I always play with or start out with just one Sim Rags to Riches style. Many of my Saves have stayed that way too. I love challenges such as; I.S.B.I., the Asylum challenge, the Drifter challenge, etc. because they require controlling just one Sim while any others in the household are free to do whatever they want. As a micromanager, it gets too stressful for me playing much more than one Sim. If I can control all of them, three is about all I can comfortably handle. I prefer playing with just one Sim per household though. :)
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I have several households with only one Sim :).
    Anyway, I'm not one of those big families- or big household players.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I play legacies and start always with only one sim. But my sims end up having or adopting kids to keep the legacy going. So im most of the time playing with a family.

When there's siblings, i usually rotate between them. One has kids and the other or others don't. Most usually are single and live alone.
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    When I started, I tended to play couples. As I got more into the game, I would make families and play out their legacy. My computer is on the blink now, so I'm playing with one-sim households more and more. I'm really enjoying it, especially now that I have Discover University.
    banner.png
  • LibertyTheFreeLibertyTheFree Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2020
    Indeed :smiley: I love it when all I have to is taking care of one, single sim (or two, if their home isn’t so oversized) It keeps thing really simple. Had a lot of fun following them around. That gave me a chance to “multitask” too, as I won’t be as busy when there’s a single sim to care for.
    I used to play a household of 6 sims, eventually I got so frustrated of caring for every single one that I almost stopped playing altogether!
    AxxYIX4.png
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I may start with one sim, but I quickly fill up the house. Just one is really boring to me. I had 8 for awhile, now I'm at 7.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    I'm a one sim player. When my sim finally gets a family, I control the next heir and let the others do whatever they want. So am still a one sim player. :lol:
  • EnnaelEnnael Posts: 86 Member
    edited June 2020
    I find it very hard to stick with a single Sim. Every time I try it gets boring so fast 'cause they're always at work or sleeping and I'm left staring at their house in fast forward most of the time. Also, even if they have loads of free time but are poor living in a dumpy house with nothing to do, I still tend to abandon them for long periods of time.
    50617862938_30d24ee877_o.gif
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    no i prefer to play a complete sim family or single sim mom with her family
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I play from 1 sim to max 5 sims in a household. Anything beyond that my laptop fan will burst into flame.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Generally start off with a solo sim unles planned story requires more. Said solos don't usually stay that way for very long as sooner or later a mate is found, and we all know what happens next.
  • darlingdeviantdarlingdeviant Posts: 36 Member
    I normally play with a single sim.
    The ocean does not apologize for its depth and the mountains do not seek forgiveness for the space they take; so, neither shall I.
    Origin ID/Gallery ID: darlingdeviant
    My Simblr (CAS challenges/lookbooks): thedarlingdeviant.tumblr.com

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I used to when I was emotionally attached to only one particular Sim.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted