Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 is on Steam

Comments

• StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'd love to play it on Steam, just to have everything in one place, but there's no way I'm buying it all over just for that.
  • HenrinatorHenrinator Posts: 55 Member
    So is there no way to "transfer" your games from Origin to Steam? Like you can't just link the two?
    Hello there (• _ •)
    You can also find me here: Origin ID: Henrinatoren | Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198057159691/
  • LibertyTheFreeLibertyTheFree Posts: 234 Member
    By far I don’t know if there’s any way to activate a Origin version copy of game on Steam. Though we should be still able to buy new packs on Steam for Origin games. Makes little sense, though.
    I do hope the two parties can reach some sorta agreement, though it probably will align with neither side’s interests :neutral: Hopes!
    AxxYIX4.png
  • LectersLecters Posts: 19 Member
    I was hoping to link my Origin to Steam, seeing as I only use Origin for Sims anyway.
    Check out my gallery! https://vipercide.com/gallery

xTO39gj.png
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,942 Member
    You can add it as a non steam game on steam. I had it set up like that but my screenshots didn't show up except in my profile, so I took it off steam.

I seriously considered buying it again through steam and very likely would have if I hadn't un-installed and re-installed it to origin 2 days ago. Origin keeps changing the install path to my C drive and breaking my windows 10.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    to be honest i do not understand why they put the sims4 on steam if its already on origin to me as a player its like 1 big questionmark?

Because most of us don't want to run Origin? All my games are on Steam - except Sims 4 and the Sims 2 Ultimate. Cause Origin.

Except that if you buy it on steam, you still have to have origin. If you play it on steam, you will have steam and origin open and running. Putting it on steam doesn't help the people that don't want origin.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    leo3487 wrote: »
    to be honest i do not understand why they put the sims4 on steam if its already on origin to me as a player its like 1 big questionmark?

Lazyness (by EA Origin) I guess
    You are from out of USA?
    If yes, steam sell in local currencies, Origin only in USD and EUR

Really? My origin is in pounds and not euros. Charged my credit card in pounds too. When I lived in Canada it was also in CAD.
    cody6268 wrote: »
    For sake of organization, I recently moved TS3 from Steam to Origin. Only one not on either is TS2, because I have a physical copy. But, most of my games are on Steam, and I might as well move everything back to Steam. Origin is so buggy, and is always giving me problems.

These are my questions:

Can I transfer from Origin to Steam?

Will I need to backup my saves (which I'm thinking I should do anyway)? Will I need to copy them again?

Will patches be treated equally? In other words, will they release on Steam the same time as Origin?

Will Steam enjoy similar discounts as Origin? I know TS3 and its EPs have gone on sale on Steam way more than they have Origin. But, TS4 has enjoyed varying discounts every now and then on Origin.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/977683/the-sims-4-is-now-live-on-steam-june-18-2020#latest

Not answers to everything, sorry, but some!

Looks like you can't transfer the base game, but once you have purchased the base game (again), steam will recognize all your DLC and I am pretty sure I saw a post on twitter that it will find your saves.

I'd like to know a little more about the prices too, but... I don't really see myself buying the same game I already own, to play with 2 clients open (instead of just one) just to get a dollar discount on a stuff pack (if that's what happens later).
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2020
    bixters wrote: »
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    Oh boy, I wonder what the reviews are like on Steam :/:*

here's one
    "Overpriced DLCs for a game that's over 5 years old. How typical of you EA.
    Cant believe they get away with charging so much for dlc. $500+ for the whole thing is just messed up."

Oh my :D I wonder what ranking it will get. Most likely Mixed or Negative. This is why EA didn't want to put it on Steam, because of the bad reviews. Origin doesn't allow for any reviews no surprise.
    It's not a "bad" game per se, it's alright, but I think a lot of people will just be buying it on there just so they can post negative reviews after not being able to on Origin, after 6 years of frustration.

Right now it is holding at mostly positive but may change going forward. Yeah everything you own on Origin and if you wish to play on Steam will run over $518.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2020
    Tbh I don't really see the point this late in the game, everyone who wants it would've just downloaded the pain in the a** that is Origin and paid for it through there. I really doubt anyone will buy the entire thing again just to run it through Steam, unless you're mega rich. But yay for reaching a couple new people I guess.
    Also wondering how this will affect patches, sales, etc. as the entire PC game has run through Origin up until now. Also how it will affect packs online, I've bought Origin keys for it and I don't want this to mess it up and for the only keys available online to be steam
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    where i live on origin i have the sims4 in cad dollars @Camkat
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

here's one
    Cant believe they get away with charging so much for dlc. $500+ for the whole thing is just messed up."

Oh my :D I wonder what ranking it will get. Most likely Mixed or Negative. This is why EA didn't want to put it on Steam, because of the bad reviews. Origin doesn't allow for any reviews no surprise.
    It's not a "bad" game per se, it's alright, but I think a lot of people will just be buying it on there just so they can post negative reviews after not being able to on Origin, after 6 years of frustration.

Right now it is holding at mostly positive but may change going forward. Yeah everything you own on Origin and if you wish to play on Steam will run over $518.

And that's with the current discount...
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited June 2020
    Camkat wrote: »

You are from out of USA?

Really? My origin is in pounds and not euros. Charged my credit card in pounds too. When I lived in Canada it was also in CAD.

I live at Argentina
    Steam sell in ARS
    Origin sell in USD

Doing exchange conversion:
    The Sims 4 Tiny Living at Origin= 696 ARS
    Steam normal price= 599 ARS
    Steam with 20% off = 479 ARS
    edited June 2020

You are from out of USA?

I live at Argentina
    Steam sell in ARS
    Origin sell in USD

I guess they don't use all countries currency's then but they certainly do use more than the original 2 that you stated though as I've lived in Canada and now currently England and I'd always paid in CAD before and now I'm paying in pounds.

here's one

The base game is on sale for $19.99 USD so that's all it will cost you. They've said that after that, the game does detect your DLC so you actually don't have to re-purchase everything.

I'm still not into re-purchasing the base game though... if they can detect the DLC and our saves and mods, then why not the base? Not that it matters that much to me anyways, I'll just keep using origin as I have been, since launching it through steam is going to open origin anyways. *shrugs*
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I don't need Steam to judge me and tell all of my friends list how many hours I spend on that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game.

500 hours in Crusader Kings 2 ? That's socially acceptable. The same in TS4, not so much.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,942 Member

Be aware that if you buy the base game through steam and then realize that the DLC doesn't transfer to steam. Then refund the base game from steam, origin will also refund the base game from origin. Link to steam post.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/1222670/discussions/0/2523653167118681663/
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I own lots of games on steam while the sims is the only thing i have on origin so having everything on one place would be nice, but now you guys are saying they need us to open both of them to play the game on steam?! Like why?! I dont see the point on getting them on steam if you have to download origin anyway. I bought most of my ts3 packs from steam and they offer good discounts for it alot but i dont know if they gonna do the same in this instance. I am staying with origin for now.
    Be aware that if you buy the base game through steam and then realize that the DLC doesn't transfer to steam. Then refund the base game from steam, origin will also refund the base game from origin. Link to steam post.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/1222670/discussions/0/2523653167118681663/

They've actually said that they DO work. You have to launch the game to see them though, so it's likely that the OP didn't even try. Simply saw that the account showed that they weren't there.

EA/Steam/Origin do need to be a lot more clear how this works.

Very interesting though that they did refund the game and it removed it from both. If that's the case then why can't we all get free keys to use on Steam then, if we did want to use that in addition to Origin.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited June 2020
    fmil wrote: »
    I own lots of games on steam while the sims is the only thing i have on origin so having everything on one place would be nice, but now you guys are saying they need us to open both of them to play the game on steam?! Like why?! I dont see the point on getting them on steam if you have to download origin anyway. I bought most of my ts3 packs from steam and they offer good discounts for it alot but i dont know if they gonna do the same in this instance. I am staying with origin for now.

Mo'Money honey.
    xD But no in all seriousness, I really don't see a point unless you really like steam and wanna get away from Origin, but it does seem a bit....pointless.

Mo'Money honey.
    xD But no in all seriousness, I really don't see a point unless you really like steam and wanna get away from Origin, but it does seem a bit....pointless.

That's the thing though, you don't get away from Origin. When you launch the game on steam it opens origin... so... really no point.

I guess there's some cards on steam to collect but yeah...
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited June 2020

Mo'Money honey.

That's the thing though, you don't get away from Origin. When you launch the game on steam it opens origin... so... really no point.

Yep...it's no point.
    So it's purely for mo'money LMAO!
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

Mo'Money honey.

That's pretty typical for Valve. A lot of purchases via Steam then require an install of other proprietary clients, like Origin or UPlay. I think it's really gone downhill over the last decade, and is bloated with microtransactions and various social media elements. At this point I would rank the DRM storefronts as follows:

1. GOG Galaxy
    2. Origin
    3. UPlay
    4. Steam

If you've got the game on Origin I have no idea why you'd purchase it again from Valve just to get some virtual junk.
    logion wrote: »

here's one

And that's with the current discount...

Yep and not an big one.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

You are from out of USA?

I live at Argentina
    Steam sell in ARS
    Origin sell in USD

I guess they don't use all countries currency's then but they certainly do use more than the original 2 that you stated though as I've lived in Canada and now currently England and I'd always paid in CAD before and now I'm paying in pounds.

here's one

The base game is on sale for $19.99 USD so that's all it will cost you. They've said that after that, the game does detect your DLC so you actually don't have to re-purchase everything.

I'm still not into re-purchasing the base game though... if they can detect the DLC and our saves and mods, then why not the base? Not that it matters that much to me anyways, I'll just keep using origin as I have been, since launching it through steam is going to open origin anyways. *shrugs*

Didn't know that but no way I would buy another base game just to play my DLC, I will stick with Origin as I already have tons of games on thier site.

Mo'Money honey.

Another reason I would not switch to Steam and as far as the cards goes I do not collect them so I will not miss anything.