March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Diving for Deals

What is the most expensive item your sim found while dumpster diving? Honestly, dumpster diving makes playing rags to riches a bit too easy because besides the $10,000 TV my sims found and sold, he's found many showers, tubs, sinks, refrigerators, and ovens that easily has helped his bank account. I feel like it's cheating. lol. My rags to riches sims now owns a four bed/three bath house now and basically all because of dumpster diving. His wife is a crafter for candles and fizzy drinks but her income doesn't compare to his. I have him dumpster nearly every day (he's also a part-time lifeguard which only is three or four days of work)

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I've only had my sim dumpster diving, and the one time they did they pulled out a painting. It wasn't worth much, but she did use it to decorate her walls.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,336 Member
    They do tend to find a lot of stuff, especially if I get them to do it repeatedly. One household found 6 bikes in a couple of days. Another sim found two fridges and a jukebox in one scavenging hunt. And they also find lots of furniture that is burnt and needs to be fixed before it can be sold. But things that are in good condition and can be sold right away can bring a lot of money especially if sold directly from inventory where they are listed with the original price. I think the most expensive haul was fridges and jukebox, each had a initial price of 2000, which was reduced to 1000 once I placed them on the lot. My sims built two extra rooms with the money.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    The most expensive item my sim managed to dive up was a schmapple oven, sold it immediately from the household inventory for 13K.
    I usually have my sim fix and recycle the stuff she finds, but I sometimes just sell it immediately without loss of price irrespective of the condition the object is in (I'm sure that's not intentional, it should sell for a reduced amount of money, but a great way to get rich even more easily).
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,880 Member
    The 14k Schmapple fridge. Wasn't even broken or dirty. So I tossed out our old fridge and used the "new" one
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited June 2020
    The $15K "The Queen's King" bed.
    2.png

Post edited by Simpatsyann on
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited June 2020
    The $15K "The Queen's King" bed.
    2.png

Oh wow, I might just have to revaluate this whole dumpster thing in the game. :)
  • kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I have my own rule where I don't sell the items I get from the dumpster diving. Maybe later in a retail store, but i prefer using the items I get instead. ( but I prefer playing with no money and lots of struggle ;) )
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    My freegan Sim found a money tree seed - and went from rags to riches pretty much overnight ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    The Queens bed is also my best find - don’t think I’ve ever used it in a build before and it looked a bit odd in my tiny trailer but she got to sleep on it for a couple of nights!

I’ve made myself a rule where she can only furnish the house with things she finds - no cooker for 8 weeks was tough! - but the scratches on the bed cost 7500 to repair and were giving a negative mood let every time she used it so It was back to the Dirty double for a while. I’m also not selling items until she’s cleaned them up and sold them on a retail lot, but money tree seed would be fair game, that’s an awesome find 😂😂
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    I think my sim ended up recycling his after he found a dirty double, but eventually I had him fabricate a bed because he was always exhausted. Pretty much everything else he's found gets sold in his retail store though and it's a fair living.