July 27th - Bug Fixes! Catch up on the fixes with the latest patch click here
Sul sul Simmers! Join us for the Inside Maxis Livestream HERE today, August 3rd, @11 AM PT / 6 PM UTC! 🎉
July 30th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

Poll: Would you be happy to see The Sims evolving even if your system couldn't run it anymore?

Comments

  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 4,614 Member
    edited June 2020
    I have a pretty top of the range gaming computer.

    These are my stats:
    CPU: i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

    So, if TS5 came out tomorrow and my system couldn't handle it then I would be inclined to find it ridiculous.

    If, however, we are talking a few years time when my hardware will be out of date, I wouldn't mind if TS5 was too demanding for my hardware even if I couldn't afford to upgrade at the time.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 448 Member
    I'd likely upgrade IF they don't go with the online mess. 64 bit and the stuff even mid-end gaming PCs ship with can make the stuff (primarily open world and photorealistic Sims) they sought to do in TS3 work really well. Throw in Sims with the personalities of TS2 Sims, detailed animations, from TS2; multitasking from TS4 (as well as an improved version of the UI; as well as a good traits/behaviors system and an attraction system and it's good to go.

    I will have to buy a new PC anyway. I bought a new Acer that was a disaster last year. My laptop is from 2011, and my desktop 2015. The desktop is showing some weird signs of some age-related stuff; most likely memory failure (quick fix); but I'm not changing another power supply! Too many wires!
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,709 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »
    I'd likely upgrade IF they don't go with the online mess. 64 bit and the stuff even mid-end gaming PCs ship with can make the stuff (primarily open world and photorealistic Sims) they sought to do in TS3 work really well. Throw in Sims with the personalities of TS2 Sims, detailed animations, from TS2; multitasking from TS4 (as well as an improved version of the UI; as well as a good traits/behaviors system and an attraction system and it's good to go.

    This!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,504 Member
    edited June 2020
    TS1299 wrote: »
    For me just create the best game that they could do and I will happy about it. Most players in this games (sandbox) that I know are not huge gaming fan, mostly thinks that this is not a demanding game. Having Maxis to keep supporting in their older system is a huge miss. It happend with SimCity 2013. They can create larger maps, but in a blog post the reason why they didn't continue the project was because many of their players will not be able to handle it. They never give that a chance. Skylines even now needs a powerful pc to run with all the content yet still successful. A lot of people upgraded just to get that game. I don't want that to happen with the Sims. I mean the reason why we are getting small worlds are because of performance....

    Yes, but at the same time some devs want to stress their games and why some ask for high end specs as some are tired of waiting for some customers to catch up. Technology has even improved on the low end system these days and if you can't keep up I do not think those that can should be held back looking at EA/Maxis inability to scale an system up or down. If all my systems are high end should I play an game that has more fluff than features? Sims 4 is an hit and miss for me. If my system can do great on performance why should I be gimped because the lowest denominator is mid range and low end and that is where scaling programs shine and come into play. The question, is EA/Maxis really taking advantage of the tech today and scared to move on even though they moved to 64 bit code? You think games like COD or Doom going to scale their games down by cutting features that stress the system? Nope for there will be an big backlash. EA/Maxis caved in one for those who could not keep up and also used an unfinished project that never came to maturity and knew its flaws in using it with Sims 4.
    Intel 6700K 32 GB ASUS RTX 2070 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB sound card VioTek 34" Curved monitor.
    Intel i5 10400F GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB 32 GB Samsung Curved 32" monitor.
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 329 Member
    This literally happened to me. I bought a new PC back in 2008 specifically to play the sim 3. And I would have done too for the sims 4 if it wasn't such a lackluster, bare, feature deprived half-finished mess of a product that I couldn't bring myself to upgrade my hardware. I didn't buy the game until after Get to Work was released and the base game had some, well, basic updates. I did end up buying a new PC to play different games though and I would happily buy a new PC to play the Sims 5 if that game would meet my expectations of a new iteration of the franchise.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,792 Member
    I think most new games demand certain specs that are standard for the time of release and I expect that. I bought my "gaming" computer right before Sims 4 came out because my old system went belly up. I've had it upgraded some at least once in the interim also. I don't think it's unreasonable at all for games to move on and require better hardware that is expected for the time frame it's released during. Absolutely top notch beyond the norm gaming hardware though? They'd be shooting themselves in the foot customer wise.
    Either way though I'd play it if I knew my computer could handle it and skip it if it couldn't, and when I got a newer system or one that was timely I'd try it later if it still interested me. I doubt I'd rush out and get a new system specifically for any game though. Mine has to become non functional in my eyes before I junk it. Besides I enjoy a number of games now including this one that run good to great on my machine and as long as I have that I'm good.
    egTcBMc.png
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 2,866 Member
    I'd be devastated if I couldn't play the newer games.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    The sims 4 heavily limits itself so people with 14 year old laptops can still sorta run it, and in my opinion, that's ruining the fun for everyone else with a half-decent set up. Sims 4 is so watered down with the neighborhood sizes, available usable lots, lot sizes, amount of sims/pets in a household, etc. And I feel like a lot of issues of the game feeling empty could be fixed if the folks playing on smoking machines just...were no longer considered.

    I know that sounds harsh. I know I sound inconsiderate. But at some point, if you want to play games, you're gonna have to update your rig, even just a little bit. You cannot keep relying on companies to make their games potato quality because sooner or later your machine isn't gonna cut it even for the smallest indie games. There are phones more powerful than some of the computers people still play sims on today.

    I don't have money for a super fancy build, and my computer struggles to load my 35Gs of mods, but once in the game it plays smoothly and I wish I could have bigger families, or that the pets didn't count towards the total for some reason, or that I had more lots to work with. I think sims as a franchise should keep with their stylized look for better performance personally, but allow the folks with better computers at least the OPTIONS to put more strain on their system. We know our computer's limits. Let us test that on our own, don't take away the options from the get go.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,504 Member
    edited June 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »
    The sims 4 heavily limits itself so people with 14 year old laptops can still sorta run it, and in my opinion, that's ruining the fun for everyone else with a half-decent set up. Sims 4 is so watered down with the neighborhood sizes, available usable lots, lot sizes, amount of sims/pets in a household, etc. And I feel like a lot of issues of the game feeling empty could be fixed if the folks playing on smoking machines just...were no longer considered.

    I know that sounds harsh. I know I sound inconsiderate. But at some point, if you want to play games, you're gonna have to update your rig, even just a little bit. You cannot keep relying on companies to make their games potato quality because sooner or later your machine isn't gonna cut it even for the smallest indie games. There are phones more powerful than some of the computers people still play sims on today.

    I don't have money for a super fancy build, and my computer struggles to load my 35Gs of mods, but once in the game it plays smoothly and I wish I could have bigger families, or that the pets didn't count towards the total for some reason, or that I had more lots to work with. I think sims as a franchise should keep with their stylized look for better performance personally, but allow the folks with better computers at least the OPTIONS to put more strain on their system. We know our computer's limits. Let us test that on our own, don't take away the options from the get go.

    I do not see it as inconsiderate if you wish for Sims 4 use more complex feature and I do not feel inconsiderate especially if wish for an much more complex game out of the Sims. EA/Maxis dumped the scaling system with Sims 4 and went to an system which they thought would work for everyone and it does not. I t would have worked if there was no other version than Sims 1, 2 and 3. It is not only the phones it is also the tablets. Right now for me, Sims 4 has an feel of being an tablet game as those games on tablets do not scale up or down.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Intel 6700K 32 GB ASUS RTX 2070 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB sound card VioTek 34" Curved monitor.
    Intel i5 10400F GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB 32 GB Samsung Curved 32" monitor.
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    The sims 4 heavily limits itself so people with 14 year old laptops can still sorta run it, and in my opinion, that's ruining the fun for everyone else with a half-decent set up. Sims 4 is so watered down with the neighborhood sizes, available usable lots, lot sizes, amount of sims/pets in a household, etc. And I feel like a lot of issues of the game feeling empty could be fixed if the folks playing on smoking machines just...were no longer considered.

    I know that sounds harsh. I know I sound inconsiderate. But at some point, if you want to play games, you're gonna have to update your rig, even just a little bit. You cannot keep relying on companies to make their games potato quality because sooner or later your machine isn't gonna cut it even for the smallest indie games. There are phones more powerful than some of the computers people still play sims on today.

    I don't have money for a super fancy build, and my computer struggles to load my 35Gs of mods, but once in the game it plays smoothly and I wish I could have bigger families, or that the pets didn't count towards the total for some reason, or that I had more lots to work with. I think sims as a franchise should keep with their stylized look for better performance personally, but allow the folks with better computers at least the OPTIONS to put more strain on their system. We know our computer's limits. Let us test that on our own, don't take away the options from the get go.

    I think that was pretty well put. I understand it's disappointing when games move on to a system you can't afford (I'm already thinking of all of the ps5 games I won't be able to play for years). But eventually technology has to march on.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,709 Member
    edited June 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »
    The sims 4 heavily limits itself so people with 14 year old laptops can still sorta run it, and in my opinion, that's ruining the fun for everyone else with a half-decent set up.

    This is exactly what I think too. I'm not asking for a Sims game that need a monster PC to run it. Just a game built for a decent set up like you said.
    Currently you can play the Sims with the lowest settings on a machine that might even struggle with the Sims 3.
    Technology evolves and so do video games and a video game stuck in 2010 is not a modern video game. It's how it is.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,418 Member

    I love it how so many Sims players imply they are not really gaming fans.
    If you play the Sims so much and even buy expansion packs for it, you're a gamer! Simple as that.

    Some of y'all are like "I've been playing The Sims for 5/10/15 years but I wouldn't call myself a gamer." What?

    Well, I do consider myself a gamer. Just not a computer gamer. My preference has always been, and will always be, TTRPG's because there I'm not limited by programming or needing cheat codes to expand beyond what the game is designed to handle.

    And I've only been playing the Sims for a year, anyway.

    I've dabbled in video games since the days of Pac Man and Q-Bert, but when it comes to gaming, I'm happiest with a room full of friends and a fist full of dice.
  • RavennaRavenna Posts: 57 Member
    I'd be happy if it evolved, although I disagree that Sims should evolve into 'realistic' territory, because I see a lot of people morphing their sims with cc into a realistic look and it's absolutely always terrifying lol

    But also I don't think Sims will ever move in a realistic direction because it has never looked realistic, ever
    I'm Meryl, and I go by Merrill on Twitch, and also I make retrowave when I'm not in The Sims. Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'

    sims_sig.png
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,709 Member
    edited June 2020
    Ravenna wrote: »
    I'd be happy if it evolved, although I disagree that Sims should evolve into 'realistic' territory, because I see a lot of people morphing their sims with cc into a realistic look and it's absolutely always terrifying lol

    But also I don't think Sims will ever move in a realistic direction because it has never looked realistic, ever

    No not realistic. I don't think anyone wants that. Better graphics doesn't mean realistic
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • awellenblawellenbl Posts: 2,970 Member
    While I do like the Sims 4 art style, I would actually prefer a more realistic look. I especially dislike the huge cartoony items.
    I have upgraded my systems for The Sims over the years. I still used the last cpu/motherboard setup for nearly a decade though. Everything else was upgraded. I think I went through four different graphic cards. It still ran Sims 4 perfectly fine with all packs installed, but I wanted to play other newer games and build a completely new machine recently.
    If there was a game I really wanted to play, I'd upgrade my system, even if I had to save up for it. That includes a potential Sims 5.
  • simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 192 Member
    I feel like my answer is somewhere in between. If Sims 5 comes out I'm not sure my computer could run it (or wouldn't run it well). It's an iMac that is nearly 7 years old. I haven't upgraded it. I don't get a lot of time to play Sims 4 (or any of the others much anymore). I do enjoy when I get to play though. I guess I'm saying that I don't think me buying a computer/upgrading mine just to play Sims 5 is worth it for me. I'd love to play Sims 5 but I also don't want them to hold back on features just so my old computer can play it.
  • fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I am here for it if it means more fun gameplay, even though a gaming laptop is not a priority for me currently and i have been making do with what i have. On the other hand, i read a few other posts and it makes me think about it more while keeping the whole community in my mind. If so many people wouldnt be able to play the game because of higher specs then i am okay with limtations. I am pretty sure they can still make the games fun despite that and i can always just go back and play the old ones since i like them, which i know is not an option for others who couldnt feel the same about the previous installments.

  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,504 Member
    edited June 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »
    The sims 4 heavily limits itself so people with 14 year old laptops can still sorta run it, and in my opinion, that's ruining the fun for everyone else with a half-decent set up.

    This is exactly what I think too. I'm not asking for a Sims game that need a monster PC to run it. Just a game built for a decent set up like you said.
    Currently you can play the Sims with the lowest settings on a machine that might even struggle with the Sims 3.
    Technology evolves and so do video games and a video game stuck in 2010 is not a modern video game. It's how it is.

    That may be true but it comes at an great cost if it cannot even handle features in this day and time where technology has evolved but the program is stuck in time. Sims 4 has not really evolved as you said for if it did it should be able to handle Cast, Neighborhood editing, addition of lots created by the end user and I played many a game from various franchises and the newer ones used some of the older features as well as the newer ones and for me that is properly evolution and also an system can also scale up or down to what it can handle. and that is how it is. Also an program is only good as the person that programs it and if you do not properly tweak your program what do think will happen as Sims 4 is not even properly tweaked and one of the reasons many do not accept Sims 4 even though many do accept it but it all comes down to what each player wants out of it. If Sims 4 was to cease production tomorrow I would not miss it as it not an technical knockout where I will ever yearn to play.
    Intel 6700K 32 GB ASUS RTX 2070 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB sound card VioTek 34" Curved monitor.
    Intel i5 10400F GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB 32 GB Samsung Curved 32" monitor.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,434 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Maybe Sims 5 will be designed for the little computer phones since that's what the majority of people use now for games, instead of the 'high horsepower' computers? :D
    I mean they do have Sims Mobile and the Sims Freeplay to play on phones, so there are multiple options for the Sims now. Sims 5 being on console along with PC would help a lot too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,434 Member
    edited June 2020
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Lol I love how casually everyone is like yeah, I’d drop $2k+ upgrading my computer for the sims... Would you though?? Coz no shade to anyone, but there’s always people complaining about the price of the sims and it’s dlc, waiting for sales etc.. People were mad when they updated the specs of TS4..?

    Personally I think this is why they are looking at console for sims 5 (if that rumour is true of course), everybody has the same state of the art gaming machines.. And at least from my perspective, people seem to have consoles over desktop computers these days anyways?

    I have an IMac and PS4 Pro, and im way more likely to upgrade to a PS5 when that comes out, over a gaming pc.. Well, I would never upgrade to a gaming PC tbh, so I guess I would be out if that’s where they went? As nice as it’s been to have the sims 4, we have the sims 4.. They’ve done the whole stripped back, laptop friendly edition of the sims, that people can always go back and play, just like with 3 and 2. It would be interesting to see a sims game built with no restrictions, or at least fully designed for the current/next gen in gaming. What is the full potential of the sims?
    My custom build gaming desktop was $700. But yes gaming laptops easily go for at least $1.2K now. Yeah they were upset with the upgrade. I'm not a PS player myself anymore. The turnover of consoles is faster than computers. Would be interesting if they brought a laptop friendly Urbz game for players.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,914 Member
    I just can't afford to upgrade my system. So while I'd be really happy in the fact that The Sims is getting better, I would silently die inside because I would never be able to play it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

  • PixyPixy Posts: 16 Member
    > @A_Mom said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I believe this is a big part of EA’s difficulty with the Sims. It started out to be a game but a lot of people treat it like a toy - a dollhouse to be precise where they tell THEIR stories and do not like surprises or anything that would change the way their story progresses - and EA is trying to make it both and not succeeding very well.
    >
    > I think if they could figure out a way to give the gamers the challenges and difficulty we want and a way to turn all that off in a sandbox mode for the story players. So they can have vampires and thunderstorms, etc. but only when THEY want them.

    It was completely possible to play YOUR stories as a control freak player in the Sims 1 and 2. I should know; I did it. Doing so is not in any way incompatible with a challenging game. The challenges (and other story actions) simply need to be a logical consequence of gameplay decisions, as they were in the first two games, so that players can either avoid or cause them through proper gameplay as desired. You don't want a fire in your story? Get your cooking skill up or live off of salads. You don't want your sim to be hit by a meteor in your story? Don't cloudgaze on the lawn. Don't want your sim to drown in your story? Make sure they have a pool ladder and aren't exhausted. Don't want a bunch of vampires in your story? Don't interact with the Count or Countess. Etc. If even that level of chance was too much for you, there were cheats and mods for practically everything. Meanwhile, if you wanted to inject a (semi-)realistic element of chance into an otherwise planned story, you had those game systems in place that allowed you to do so.

    This was unfortunately something that the team went off track with in the Sims 3 through a combination of taking away consequences like accidental starvation and drowning while adding total randomness to deaths like the meteor strike, and then when players of the previous games complained about the latter, they took the wrong lesson from it and went all the way over into "you have to literally choose for something bad to happen to your sims" territory for 4 instead. The Sims 3 added a ton of voluntary goals (like the skill and collection goals) to replace the actual challenging gameplay, so it wasn't as glaringly obvious in that game. When they didn't really continue that system for the Sims 4... well, here we are.

    TL;DR: The Sims 1 and 2 worked perfectly well for both "dollhouse" play and challenging gameplay and the failure of 3 and 4 to continue the trend was an unforced error. Also bring back skill and collection goals for the Sims 4, please.
  • the1akbthe1akb Posts: 56 Member
    Upgrade and expand it, all the way. Sims 4 was for many of us, a step backwards in several ways and it left a lot of us feeling disappointed. Both Sims 2 & 3 had features that 4 STILL doesn't have. For those not able to get a higher spec system, then all the current and former Sims games still exist for them AND they're still being supported with some amazing mods.

    Sims 5 NEEDS to start taking advantage of modern gaming systems and stop restricting the potential of the game so to reach a larger market. In fact, I'd go as far as to say set the game up so that right from day 1, there's a different version for console and low-spec PC players, something akin to a 32 bit OS version that states on the tin that it won't be able to take advantage of all features but would still allow those people to at least play the new game. For everyone else, PLEASE, take Sims 5 forward, stop making the lots the game ships with so barebones and empty looking and state the game will NEED at least a semi-decent rig to run it. By making Sims 4 so accessible to all, it's made the game seem barren and extremely limited and it's only because of the amazing modding support that many of us are still playing it. Time to evolve.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,021 Member
    edited June 2020
    I wouldn’t want the sims game to hold back on graphics etc for sims 5 but I wouldn’t upgrade. As sims is the only game I play and I play on a cheap (maybe low end I don’t know) windows 10 with 64 bit laptop I can’t afford to upgrade as other things in my life take priority over a more expensive laptop. My current laptop works great for sims 4 it only takes 5 minutes to load and is not too glitchy and can play on it all day after a 18 month old save. This is compared to sims 3 on my old windows 7 laptop which at the most would take an hour to load and I would get about half an hour gameplay at most on a 4-5 month save. I don’t understand laptop specs for games and wouldn’t know what to look for if I was to upgrade. However I’m not too fussed about a sims 5 so I would be happy playing with sims 4 for a while.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,709 Member
    @netney52 Laptops are usually not good for games unless you get a gaming laptop which will be a lot more expensive than a gaming PC. So PC all the way I say. (ofc there are exceptions)

    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top